The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front office/Grier

+3
JMP
Degarmo
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Front office/Grier Empty Front office/Grier

Post by CarsonChris Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:08 pm

We have the picks this year to greatly improve if we are able to find great players. Is Grier the right GM for the job? I haven’t seen any of his picks really pay off.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Front office/Grier Empty Re: Front office/Grier

Post by Degarmo Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Too soon to tell.

The other question would be, who is?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Yep, impossible to tell until it happens.

The good news: By April, Grier will have a year working with Flores, Allen, McKenzie and the rest of the scouts. That gives him to time to learn what Flores wants, and how to work with his staff. Remember, Grier has only been in charge of one draft - 2018 - and had mixed results. But that was with just 6 picks. Now that he'll have at least a dozen picks to work with, he'll have tons of flexibility to move up and down as he needs to.

All we can do is hope for the best and see how it plays out. I love that we have so many picks - it increases the chances that we'll hit on a few.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 pm

One thing I will say. Other teams thought his talent evaluation was good enough to trade a shitload of picks for two of his first rounders.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:22 am

I agree with Degarmo, No team would have gave up 1st round pick like Houston and Pitt did if they thought Miami talent was key. Or it could be that those teams wanted those players so bad that they just gave it to Miami knowing Grier would mess up the draft anyway

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:14 am

I think that Grier worked that Houston trade superbly. He simply got an offer that couldn't be refused.

Fitzpatrick wasn't buying in. Of course, he could have just tried to do what the coaches were telling him, and might well have ended up playing slot corner and/or boundary corner full time anyway once they decided that was the best fit for him. We will never know, but while circumstances prevented it from being a great trade, we do have a shot at getting a better draft pick than the one we gave up, something that wouldn't have happened with Philly or KC.

I'll definitely take this over getting the last pick of the 4th round for a 1,200 yard rushing RB with two years left on his rookie contract. Or trading a 2-year starter at C for a 6th rounder with two years left on his (Satele), for example.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 am

i think it will be a 2 part process. first, will be selecting the correct players (talent evaluation). second, will be putting those players in the best position to succeed (coaching). truth is, no one knows how this will all work out until actually happens - 2 to 3 years from now - assuming Ross doesn't have some sort of interim change of mind. but in the end, its just like Parcell's said...you better pick the right QB, or your successor will be picking the next one. i think it will all come down to what QB is selected and how well he performs.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 am

mercury22nathan wrote:but in the end, its just like Parcell's said...you better pick the right QB, or your successor will be picking the next one.  i think it will all come down to what QB is selected and how well he performs.

Yep, getting that franchise QB really does make all the difference. We have the resources (both picks and $$$) to get the QB and build the team around him. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for this franchise...can't screw it up.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:59 pm

I have just about given up hope the Phins can get the draft right. What they need is one really
spectacular, stellar draft!!!

One by which all others are judged!

I just do not know if they are capable of that.

Grier has made some good moves considering the crap-hand he was left to play, but after the dismantling, this team needs two superior drafts to even get back to respectable IMO.

I hear they are going to go after free agents next year too, so...

I am willing to wait and see...but color me skeptical.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Yep, we should all be skeptical...not only because we don't really know what we have in Grier, but also because the draft is a complete crapshoot. All we can do is HOPE.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down