The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank for Tua

+5
mercury22nathan
JMP
HalCHorn
rightchea
CarsonChris
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tank for Tua Empty Tank for Tua

Post by CarsonChris Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 pm

The first half had me scared. We literally don’t have anything to play for this season other than the top draft pick. If we start off hot like that again we will need to put Fitzpatrick back in the game!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Tank for Tua Empty Re: Tank for Tua

Post by rightchea Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:39 am

so let's put it like this Miami right now is playing mostly their second and third string players at the moment. I never expected Miami to go out and be able to win games with this line up. The only team Miami might beat are the Jets and that doubtful as well

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 am

I can't see Gase's Jets sweeping anybody. My best guess right now is 2-14 or possibly 3-13. Things already seem to be stabilizing and the schedule isn't nearly as daunting after the bye. We should have the number one pick even with the latter of those numbers though.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:19 am

HalCHorn wrote:I can't see Gase's Jets sweeping anybody.  My best guess right now is 2-14 or possibly 3-13.  Things already seem to be stabilizing and the schedule isn't nearly as daunting after the bye.  We should have the number one pick even with the latter of those numbers though.

The Jets' offense is just as bad as ours...and maybe worse! No TDs and just 105 yards for the Jets yesterday...that's as bad as it gets.

A lot of people judge the season in quarters...4-game blocks. Our first quarter consists of games against two legit playoff contenders (Ravens and Chargers), the best team in the NFL (Patriots) and the best team in the NFC (Cowboys). That's not an excuse - it's just to point out that we were NEVER going to win any of those games this season.

Our second quarter features the Redskins, Bills, Steelers and Jets...which is a helluva lot easier. I don't expect to win all those games obviously, but winning 1 or 2 is not out of the question. If nothing else, I expect to look a lot better against that group (except maybe the Bills, who look really good so far). If we're ever going to see progress, it should be in this stretch. Let's see what these coaches can do.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:27 am

we're not the only ones having this discussion...

The New York Jets are worse than the Miami Dolphins.

The verdict: OVERREACTION. Yeah, the Jets have been outscored 70-33. The Dolphins? They've been outscored 133-16! This isn't the same ballpark of stink. Sam Darnold will come back from his bout with mono. C.J. Mosley should come back soon from his groin injury.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 am

mercury22nathan wrote:we're not the only ones having this discussion...

The New York Jets are worse than the Miami Dolphins.

The verdict: OVERREACTION. Yeah, the Jets have been outscored 70-33. The Dolphins? They've been outscored 133-16! This isn't the same ballpark of stink. Sam Darnold will come back from his bout with mono. C.J. Mosley should come back soon from his groin injury.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27679368/let-overreact-week-3-nfl-bills-real

For the record, the Jets have only scored 11 points on offense this season...22 of their points have come from defense and STs. We may be historically bad, but at least our offense has scored 16 points! LOL

It's great reading/hearing all the Jets' fans complain about Gase - throwing screens behind the line on 3rd and long, using the same run plays over and over even when they don't work, constantly throwing short of the sticks, send all receivers deep on a 3rd and 2 pass play, no adjustments, etc. The exact same things we said for three years. And Gase's excuse is STILL "the players didn't execute". Some people just never learn...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm

I see us being swept by the Jill’s. They always punch us in the mouth and we just drop like little bitches. We may beat the jests once, the bungles and maybe the deadskins.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm

133-16.

Jets games will be 6-3, twice.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:44 am

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to have concerns about Tua.  Nothing about his on-field performance, which is over-the-top impressive.  But off-field, his family life scares me - particularly his father.

From what I've been reading/watching online, Tua's father rules the family with an iron fist, acting like a tyrant and making every major decision by himself - including making Tua into a lefty thrower (Tua is naturally right-handed) and deciding where Tua would attend college.  But more concerning is this: in high school, Tua's father used to beat him with a belt every time he threw an interception in a game.  I saw a video online - this came stratight from Tua's mouth, and his parents chuckled about it.  If the family is willing to talk about that, I wonder what else they may be hiding.  

To me, this is a major red flag...once he makes it to the NFL, who knows what Tua's father will do behind the scenes that could impact Tua and the team?  We drafted Ted Ginn and his family years ago...and the Ginn family was by all accounts awesome.  But if we draft Tua and his family, will it become a major distraction?  I don't know...but it scares me.

At the same time, I'm really starting to warm up to Jake Fromm - and we wouldn't need the #1 overall pick to get him.

Here's an article with the video:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/12/tua-tagovailoa-dad-belt-espn-college-gameday-video-discipline-reaction-alabama-family-football

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Yeah... I have some doubts about Tua also, but he is impressive...in college.

Fromm...as a Gator fan...I say YUCK!!! but.... He does seem to have a terrific grasp of the Bulldogs offense, and he does throw on time with accuracy.

I think Grier is gonna wheel and deal and parlay these 1st rounders into multiple picks in the next few years drafts.

Also, look at the Raiders this year....all those 1st rounders have not made them a SB contender this season.

I suspect the Phins are STILL Gonna be a couple of years away even after next year's draft. They still need to hit a few homeruns in this draft, but I don't think any one off season is gonna be enough to turn this team around. The talent level is fairly bad IMO.

And I still wonder about the coaching?

We will just have to wait and see. I want to see steady improvement with the team that is on the field this year. That would go a long way towards allaying my fears about he coaching staff.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:31 pm

I seen several pass that have been under thrown by Formm in a couple of game and also from last years championship game. not really sure if Miami needs that type of QB.

The problem is after Tua there not really too many other QB that are really good. I mean Jocab Eason, and Jalen Hurts seem okay but not NFL ready to lead a team. Justin Herbert seem to be okay but reminds me of Joey Harrington, and Jake Formm needs to improve his arm strength.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:32 pm

With Fromm it's hard to tell because that Georgia offense is run like it's still the 1980s, with a "run the ball at all costs" mentality. But his reads are excellent, and he's a leader. Like I've said before, he may be more of a "game manager", but maybe that's not such a bad thing in this new Dolphins offense.

Herbert certainly looks the part, but he seems like a choke artist.

Keep an eye on Utah State vs. LSU next Saturday (Oct. 5) - Jordan Love vs. Joe Burrow - two QBs that are probably going to rise up draft boards throughout the season and into the offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:40 pm

I'd play the long game here and trade out of the No. 1 overall to try and position for Lawrence in 2021. Get the trenches set up in this draft, then get your QB. I'd rather have a guy come in with protection than get a guy that has to run for his life for a year.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 pm

People are really doubt Lawrence's abilities from one bad game

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:57 pm

That's the world we live in right now. There's absolutely zero objectivity or thought given to historical reference. It's "what happened 2 minutes ago" that rules everything.

[Insert social commentary here.]

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:45 pm

There was no surer thing than Andrew Luck coming out, and 7 short years later, he's gone. In a draft that had 3 QB's taken in the first 8 picks, the best of the bunch was a third rounder (Wilson).

Who knows what might shake out in the evaluation process over the next 7 months? Jordan Love, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts might well play themselves into the first round discussion.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 am

Keep an eye on Utah State vs. LSU next Saturday (Oct. 5) - Jordan Love vs. Joe Burrow - two QBs that are probably going to rise up draft boards throughout the season and into the offseason.

Who knows what might shake out in the evaluation process over the next 7 months? Jordan Love, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts might well play themselves into the first round discussion.

Violent agreement with these two statements.

Love, Burrow, Hurts could go any number of ways. Apparently Grier is travelling to college games right now, watching all the QBs in person. I can only hope and pray he's got Marvin Allen with him, who is widely regarded as an outstanding evaluator of talent.

Even if we don't get the number one overall pick (thanks Cincinatti!), we could very well stand pat at say #3 or #4 overall and still get an elite prospect. Beyond these guys you've also got Herbert and Fromm.

I know (at least I think I know) the Fins love Tua, but hopefully they don't get so enamored they trade way too much to get him, and then we're back in the same boat as we were with Marino. A QB and nothing else around him.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 am

rightchea wrote:People are really doubt Lawrence's abilities from one bad game

He's actually had two poor games this season - against Georgia Tech and Syracuse. And his Texas A&M game wasn't all that great either. I think it is a legit concern at this point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 am

Degarmo wrote:I'd play the long game here and trade out of the No. 1 overall to try and position for Lawrence in 2021.  Get the trenches set up in this draft, then get your QB.  I'd rather have a guy come in with protection than get a guy that has to run for his life for a year.

No reason we can't get both the QB AND the OL in 2020, and I think that's the plan. We certainly have the ammo. Strike while the iron is hot!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:54 pm

if the Steelers stay on track with the way they are playing Miami has a legit chance of having two draft picks in the top 10 - 15. Texans pick will be the lowest out of all the first round picks that Miami has so far.

I would trade the last pick to get another 2nd and possibly a 4th and 5th round pick. The idea that Miami has so many opportunities to make a big splash in the draft means that Miami can become a contender within two years but only if they draft well and get good FA with those two years.

Also have been hearing that Tua and Formm might stay for their senior year. I can only imagine a player scared of a challenge especially when it comes to playing for a rebuilding team like Miami.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:02 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I'd play the long game here and trade out of the No. 1 overall to try and position for Lawrence in 2021.  Get the trenches set up in this draft, then get your QB.  I'd rather have a guy come in with protection than get a guy that has to run for his life for a year.

No reason we can't get both the QB AND the OL in 2020, and I think that's the plan.  We certainly have the ammo.  Strike while the iron is hot!

With this spate of picks, our iron should be hot for 2 years of drafts.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 pm

what y'all think of Joe Burrow. seen a couple of this year and last year highlights. He looks pretty good from what I have seen

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:36 pm

rightchea wrote:

Also have been hearing that Tua and Formm might stay for their senior year. I can only imagine a player scared of a challenge especially when it comes to playing for a rebuilding team like Miami.

Anything can happen, but it really wouldn't make any sense at all for either player to stay in school. Too much money on the line.

rightchea wrote:what y'all think of Joe Burrow. seen a couple of this year and last year highlights. He looks pretty good from what I have seen

He looks fantastic in that new LSU offense...but is he just a product of the system? Hard to say, but he is definitely making a name for himself.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Tua looked excellent again on Saturday. It's funny - a lot of people said it was a bad game for him because he missed a couple of deep passes. But damn, he made some jaw-dropping throws...the ball placement is just unreal. He's going to be really hard to pass up if we do pick #1...even with his father pulling his strings.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm just not that worried about Tua being another Todd Marinovich. And I think that his accuracy is light-years ahead of Burrow's.

My preference right now: 1) Tua 2) Fromm 3) Hurts (I think he's going to climb the charts as the season goes on and he does this against good teams) 4) Love I really think Burrow is a product of that system, and Herbert just worries the Hell out of me, honestly.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next