The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two QB draft?

+7
finskev
Degarmo
JMP
rightchea
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Two QB draft?  Empty Two QB draft?

Post by CarsonChris Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am

The Dolphins have a lot of ammunition in the draft with so many picks available. Tua’s Hip injury has him sliding down the draft board. As I ponder who we pick, my guess is Burrow goes first to Cincinnati, that leaves the next group of quarterbacks to choose from. Tua was regarded as a top 2 QB but the hip injury puts a dent in his draft stock.

Do we go with Hebert or Fromm and possibly take Tua at the bottom of the first?

If Miami had Tua as the #1 and they are unsure of his medical condition then drafting 2 first round quarterbacks might be our best option. Let Tua heal for an entire year while our other rookie QB plays. Year 2 let’s have a QB competition. If in year 2 Tua out performs our other QB then trade the other QB for a pick.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Two QB draft?  Empty Re: Two QB draft?

Post by HalCHorn Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Looking more like BPA or a trade down with our likely top-3 or top-4 pick. I wouldn't take Herbert there. I don't think I'd take Tua there with the medical questions.

I'd definitely keep taking QB's 'til you find the one you want.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Herbert crapped the bed last night. I will be furious if the Fins take him with their first pick. Fromm as well, although at this point I don't think any team will be dumb enough to draft him in the top half of the first.

IMO if Burrow's not there, this team has way too many holes to waste two picks on a QB in one draft, especially since I don't think any other QB in this draft will be better than mediocre at best. There literally isn't a position that's NOT a crying need for this team right now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Taking two QB this year would make a lot of sense. Taking Tua with the pick that we got from the Texans secure the possibility of a team getting a him and he becomes a great NFL QB. Kinda like the Redskins did with RGIII and Cousins. I not sure if I like Herbert either too much Joey Harrington to me.

Trading down their 4th pick for more picks would also be my objective. Miami has a lot of holes and wouldn't want to waste money in FA trying to find great players.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:28 pm

FYI Tua's type of hip injury has an extremely high chance of recurring/getting worse within the next 5 years or so. If I know this, surely every NFL team's medical staff does. Don't be shocked if he's still around in the 4th round.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Well, a big step today towards getting the # 2 pick back with Washington winning. Unfortunately it looks like it will be almost impossible to pass the Bungles at this point. If they couldn't beat a Steelers team missing virtually the entire starting offense at the skill positions, they aren't winning a game. And we still get them at home.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Well, a big step today towards getting the # 2 pick back with Washington winning.  Unfortunately it looks like it will be almost impossible to pass the Bungles at this point.  If they couldn't beat a Steelers team missing virtually the entire starting offense at the skill positions, they aren't winning a game.  And we still get them at home.

The worst case scenario would be for the Fins to lose to THAT team and STILL not get the first pick. Which is why it's now guaranteed to happen Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

But yeah, the Skins losing should put the Fins at #2 now methinks.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:40 pm

I had one foot on the Herbert bandwagon..and then last night happened. Just a horrific game. And then you have Fromm getting worse by the week. The Dolphins are fucked if they don't get the #1.

Assuming Tua continues to have a positive prognosis, I'm taking him with one of the first round picks and then another QB later on. Let Tua sit on IR for a year, roll with Fitz as the day 1 starter and see if Rosen can earn a sppt.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Rosen needs to go away. He's never going to be a leader. You all have seen all the shit roll through this team over the past 20 years. In your heart, you have to know he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL.

I still want the Dolphins to figure out how to get Thor McJesus from Clemson in 2021. Fromm reminds me of a discount Phil Simms, Hebert is definitely Joey Harrington, and Tua's injury scares me a lot. Those first round picks aren't luxuries, they're NECESSITIES to hit on. My pick this year, and everyone else's at this point, is Burrow, but I feel like they may have to give up the house to get him from the Bengals.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Looks like this isn't actually a two-QB draft, if ya know what I mean. And in any given draft there are almost always only 1-2 QBs who you could actually say are a success in the NFL. Some years there are none. You have to go all the way back to '04 to find the last draft with as many as three QBs who panned out, and maybe back to '83 before that. It's Burrow or bust, boys.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:18 pm

Not sold on Thor at all. Too inconsistent for me.

It turns out that rightchea was the smartest one here, with that thread he started about QBs that will be available after round 1. I think that's where we have to focus, even if we do take Tua. The round one QBs just don't look so good now, after Burrow.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:43 pm

JMP wrote:Not sold on Thor at all.  Too inconsistent for me.

It turns out that rightchea was the smartest one here, with that thread he started about QBs that will be available after round 1.  I think that's where we have to focus, even if we do take Tua.  The round one QBs just don't look so good now, after Burrow.

Drafting a QB after the first round is an exercise in futility, and the extreme few hits have been a matter of pure luck. The "draft a developmental QB and let him learn for a few years" strategy simply doesn't work.

That's not a knock on Rightchea BTW. I do like that he's at least trying to come up with some sort of solution. I'm just saying don't expect a Wilson/Prescott-type sleeper in this or any other draft. It happens far too rarely to even think about counting on.

Here's a list of all QBs drafted in the 2nd round since 2000. http://pfref.com/tiny/xnM3w

And every 3rd round QB since then. http://pfref.com/tiny/kxzev

And all the 4th round QBs. http://pfref.com/tiny/uvCKM

And the 5th. http://pfref.com/tiny/7nubC Yeah, you don't want to ever draft a QB in the 5th.

All lists are sorted by Approximate Value so you can see right away who the most successful QBs on each list have been. FYI, Fitz has actually been the best 7th round QB this century.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:41 pm

I'd LOVE to draft a QB in round one...hell, that's what this "tank" was all about. But we're probably not getting Burrow, and Tua is injured...so now what? Is there another QB worth taking? At this point - I don't know.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm

JMP wrote:I'd LOVE to draft a QB in round one...hell, that's what this "tank" was all about.  But we're probably not getting Burrow, and Tua is injured...so now what?  Is there another QB worth taking?  At this point - I don't know.

There is not. But that's why you use all those picks to fix the other holes. Or give the Bengals an offer they can't refuse and patch the holes with all the cap room they'll have in FA. There's really no excuse not to win the offseason with all the cap space and picks they have.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Chase Young with #2 pick and Tua with the Steelers pick, If we don’t take Tua it will be a mistake , The Motivation to prove he isn’t injury prone to me makes it worth the risk , the surgeon said his injury was the kind You would see in a motorcycle accident and it won’t happen again.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:50 pm

finskev wrote:Chase Young with #2 pick and Tua with the Steelers pick, If we don’t take Tua it will be a mistake , The Motivation to prove he isn’t injury prone to me makes it worth the risk , the surgeon said his injury was the kind You would see in a motorcycle accident and it won’t happen again.

That's odd because I keep hearing it has a great chance of leading to more hip injuries over the next few years. And besides, Tua would get injured in no time if the O-line isn't fixed anyway. I'd still focus on making the rest of the team better.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 pm

If we are at 2, and that is not a given, we are tied with the g men and the deadskins, at least record-wise at 2-9, I pick Chase Young. If he is still there, grab Tua with the 3rd first rd pick. Maybe, double down on the Love kid from Utah in the 2nd round.

Fix the trenches and grab a clouple playmakers with the other picks and we are moving in the right direction.

Fixing the trenches should be a priority. It all starts up front.

Hell, just draft all Alabama and Wisconsin OL'men and I'd be happy.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:53 am

scotgif wrote:If we are at 2, and that is not a given, we are tied with the g men and the deadskins, at least record-wise at 2-9, I pick Chase Young. If he is still there, grab Tua with the 3rd first rd pick. Maybe, double down on the Love kid from Utah in the 2nd round.

Fix the trenches and grab a clouple playmakers with the other picks and we are moving in the right direction.

Fixing the trenches should be a priority. It all starts up front.

Hell, just draft all Alabama and Wisconsin OL'men and I'd be happy.

I think the idea of getting a better OL will happen during FA. Miami is known for going after players during FA and for the simple fact that Miami will have to find a lot of position during the draft. Skilled position such as DL LB and the Secondary for one and that only the defense. Miami will need to find some veterans to lead the way so that the rookies in other position such as RB, QB and WR will be comfortable during their first season then the next season start adding OL from the draft slowly.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 am

finskev wrote:Chase Young with #2 pick

if Miami ends up with the 2nd pick, i agree, they should take Young, but if they end up with the 3rd pick, then the Giants will take Young. at that point, i let Denver and Tampa get in a bidding war to trade up with Phins to overdraft Herbert. but in either scenario, i agree with picking a QB later in the first round - just not on who that QB should be... i am pushing for Jalen Hurts.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am

Lamar Jackson's success will help make Hurts' stock go up. Tyler Huntley's too.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:06 am

finskev wrote:Chase Young with #2 pick and Tua with the Steelers pick

scotgif wrote:If we are at 2, and that is not a given, we are tied with the g men and the deadskins, at least record-wise at 2-9, I pick Chase Young. If he is still there, grab Tua with the 3rd first rd pick. Maybe, double down on the Love kid from Utah in the 2nd round.

I agree - if we get the #2, then it's Chase Young and take Tua with one of the other firsts. And I'm totally fine with doubling down at QB. Jordan Love is having a down year, but his talent is through the roof...Tua and Love learning from Fitz would be a great scenario. And then you trade Rosen for whatever you can get.

That said, I keep reading about how much time the coaching staff is working with Rosen...so my guess is they will keep him for at least another season. So, while I do think we'll take a QB high, I don't think we will draft 2 QBs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:08 pm

The Dolphins have a lot of ammunition in the draft with so many picks available. Tua’s Hip injury has him sliding down the draft board. As I ponder who we pick, my guess is Burrow goes first to Cincinnati, that leaves the next group of quarterbacks to choose from. Tua was regarded as a top 2 QB but the hip injury puts a dent in his draft stock.

Do we go with Hebert or Fromm and possibly take Tua at the bottom of the first?

If Miami had Tua as the #1 and they are unsure of his medical condition then drafting 2 first round quarterbacks might be our best option. Let Tua heal for an entire year while our other rookie QB plays. Year 2 let’s have a QB competition. If in year 2 Tua out performs our other QB then trade the other QB for a pick.

I would actually not double down on a QB. I'd rather double down on a different position like DE/OLB. Or C/G.

At #2, yes IMO Chase Young is the correct pick. He's the best player in the draft, period, and he's a better prospect than either Bosa and they are monsters.

I would get Tua later in the first round, and I might even trade up to make sure we don't get leap frogged.

I said this in another thread, but I do love watching Fitz play and would have no problems with a Fitzpatrick - Rosen - Tua (IR) depth chart at QB. Best we've had here in a long time.

Some of these lesser-hyped QBs are very interesting to me. Hurts is a guy I think could turn into the next Murray, who is playing well in AZ on a bad team (do you realize Murray is ranked #11 among NFL starting QBs right now?). He also put up similar-to-Tua stats at Alabama, so now he's had success in two different programs. He probably goes somewhere in the 1st round, I wonder where he ends up on our draft board?

I don't know much about the other guys (Eason, Love), but from what I've seen I have no interest in Herbert or Fromm. Looks to me like Burrows, Tua, Hurts and everyone else.

Btw, what do you guys think of Bridgewater? He's shown enough to warrant another shot at a starting job. We'd probably have to drop either Fitz or Rosen, but signing Bridgewater in free agency puts a shroud of mystery over our entire draft. Teams will not know when/if we're drafting a QB. If we did get Bridgewater, I'd still take Tua. I would love to have a QB depth chart built both for now and the future.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 pm

If we can get him, I'd definitely take Bridgewater.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 pm

I do like Bridgewater, but I'm not sure he's interested in being a placeholder for a year - which is exactly what he'd be in Miami. I think he re-signs with the Saints and stays there as the heir apparent to Brees.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Bridgewater is not coming to Miami. He gonna want to go to a team that give him a chance to stay a starter for a while. He looking at long term and Miami won't be a long term place especially if Miami drafting QBs

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next