The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last draft

+4
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
rightchea
CarsonChris
8 posters

Go down

Last draft Empty Last draft

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 am

I'm going to give the overall rookie season a D. I think Devante Parker becomes a legitimate #1. The punter is good. We drafted 3 DB and we need one to become a solid starter. I think Ajayi is a wasted pick. Phillips could be a solid pick if he changes his mentality toward the game.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Last draft Empty Re: Last draft

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 pm

The punter wasn't actually drafted. Just sayin' Razz

Only this team could have drafts so bad that a random undrafted punter who only got signed to give the regular punter's leg a rest during camp turns out to be the best of the rookies by a significant margin. It's literally getting to the point where all the bad drafts blend together in my mind and I sometimes forget which busts were taken in which year without having to look it up.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:18 am

Well, normally, you want to wait until year three.

But I agree, this draft is starting to smell IMHO. Not quite like three day old fish, but enough that you might want to consider tossing it out.

You want to be sickened, look at 2013's draft. Not only that, but the free agent moves, the cuts that season.

This present Phins debacle was precipitated by some egregious decisions made by Ireland and Philbin IMHO.

Looking back on it, some of those decisions are of the same level of incredible dumbassedness of Dave Wannstedt IMHO!!!!

Of course, the real topper, is Steve "The Big Boob" Ross' decision to keep Grandpa Joe Philbin after the Bully Gate and a third straight season of late season skidding from the Phins.

Incredibly Dumbarse moves have become the hallmark of the Miami Dolphins franchise it seems.

Let us hope that changes.

Mayhap we can hope for some simply bad decisions instead.

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:25 am

I not going to sleep on Ajayi yet. He really didn't get much of a chance especially with the play call situation. Parker looks legit as long as he stays healthy. But everyone else is leaving a bad taste in my mouth

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:47 am

I have not been impressed with Ajayi at all. Seems like he always gets tackled in the backfield. But I'm disappointed that the Phins didn't use him much as a receiver or goal-line runner...those were supposed to be his strong areas.

I think Ajayi could be a decent complementary/situational back, maybe like a Gio Bernard-type, but I don't see him as a #1. If that's the case, that's great - can't ask for more from a 5th round pick.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:42 pm

JMP wrote:I have not been impressed with Ajayi at all.  Seems like he always gets tackled in the backfield.  But I'm disappointed that the Phins didn't use him much as a receiver or goal-line runner...those were supposed to be his strong areas.  

I think Ajayi could be a decent complementary/situational back, maybe like a Gio Bernard-type, but I don't see him as a #1.  If that's the case, that's great - can't ask for more from a 5th round pick.

Definitely not seeing him as a #1 RB, he is definitely a good one/two punch RB with someone in front of him.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Hard to judge after only one year, but..

Parker has shown some flashes in the second half of the season. Early on, Marcus Peters looks like the best player who was available to us. That said, I thought Parker was the right pick at the time

Phillips, we'll have to see how he pans out. Flashes. I would have favored A. J. Cann, and he ended up starting all but 3 games at a need position (OG) for us in Jacksonville. Jake Fisher was another O-lineman on the board who would have made sense. Tyler Lockett and Jaelen Strong also could have been had, and both seem ahead of Parker right now.

It's early but it doesn't seem like we got much value out of this draft.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Marcus Peters is an absolute stud. Playmaker with HUGE impact ability. Exactly what we needed on defense. I think that was a big miss for Hickey/Tannenbaum. Parker looks like he could be good, but these days it seems pretty easy to find big, slow receivers...they practically grow on trees in college in this era. Impact corners are much harder to find.

Phillips looks like he could be a decent player, but I don't think he'll ever be special. I still have concerns about his practice habits and desire.

Douglas is absolute garbage, and I don't buy the "he's just a rookie" excuse. He has no business being on an NFL field at this stage. Terrible pick, and I hate it even more now then I did when it was made. Step one in drafting OL should be "avoid soft players with crap technique". Unfortunately, the Phins are drawn to those types of linemen like flies on shit (Martin, Thomas, Douglas...)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:11 pm

JMP wrote:Marcus Peters is an absolute stud.  Playmaker with HUGE impact ability.  Exactly what we needed on defense.

Wasn't Peters the one every team made a big show of shying away from becauase he had a "problem with authority", even as these same teams signed criminals right and left with absolutely no sense of irony?

Douglas is absolute garbage, and I don't buy the "he's just a rookie" excuse.  He has no business being on an NFL field at this stage.  Terrible pick, and I hate it even more now then I did when it was made.  Step one in drafting OL should be "avoid soft players with crap technique".  Unfortunately, the Phins are drawn to those types of linemen like flies on shit (Martin, Thomas, Douglas...)

Nobody here felt as bad for Douglas after the Colts game as I, but let's just say his true talent lies in another profession. You know, like Tannehill.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Parker had the most yards per catch of a dolphin receiver in a long time. That last 46yd catch showed what he can do. Something we haven't seen since BMarshall. I think he's a 1200 yard receiver next year and a touchdown machine. Everything else in our draft pretty much sucked. One of our picks should have been used on the lineman from LSU La'el Collins. I don't care what the circumstances regarding his free fall in the draft. I think we wasted ten picks in the fourth or fifth round and Collins was there. It's not like we usually get a stud in any round anyway so if he ended up going to jail it would have been a typical dolphin pick any way.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Parker had the most yards per catch of a dolphin receiver in a long time. That last 46yd catch showed what he can do. Something we haven't seen since BMarshall. I think he's a 1200 yard receiver next year and a touchdown machine. Everything else in our draft pretty much sucked. One of our picks should have been used on the lineman from LSU La'el Collins. I don't care what the circumstances regarding his free fall in the draft. I think we wasted ten picks in the fourth or fifth round and Collins was there. It's not like we usually get a stud in any round anyway so if he ended up going to jail it would have been a typical dolphin pick any way.

Miami should have drafted him in the 7th round.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:31 pm

The play in this video is something I can't remember a Dolphin lineman doing since the 70's.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/1/9655748/lael-collins-block-pancake-cowboys-seahawks-video-gif

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Wasn't there talk that Collins' agent basically told teams not to draft him, and that he wouldn't sign for the slotted amount if drafted?  Seems like I remember something along those lines.

Regardless, yes, I would have taken him at any point after the 4th round.  At a certain point, I mean, come on, what are you risking?  That you could have had a Douglas instead? :-)

Ironically, he wanted to direct his situation to the "contending" Dallas Cowboys, and ended up on a 4-12 team.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:24 pm

I was actually pissed that they didn't go after him in the 7th round. That would have been cheap money for such a good player. Hickey and Tannenbaum bombed that one.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Yeah, yeah, and if they had picked him, and he refused to sign with the Phins, they would have been lambasted for wasting that valuable 7th round pick!

Especially after he TOLD the team not to pick him.

They did make a serious effort to sign him afterward as I recall, but Collins wanted to go to Dallas a did.

I am not as upset about the Collins thing as I am about bypassing an Olineman in the 2nd, when you KNEW you had absolute doodoo on the Oline??? The whole thing is just flabbergasting IMHO!

And heck, if they thought that was too high for a OG, why not trade down? I am just wondering if they TRIED to trade down, could not, and had to go for another player?

It just does not make much sense IMO.

But then again, remember, Grandpa Joe was the HC and he thought/thinks Dallas Thomas is a great NFL OG apparently!!

But these are the sorts of decisions the Phins have been making in the draft of late that ABSOLUTELY crush any hope of success.

Phillips looks like he MIGHT become a good player. Maybe better than good, assuming he keeps working and doesn't decide to slack off, but when you look at the junk you had for an Oline, I am at a loss to understand the move.

A J Cann would have looked great in a Dolphins UNI.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:28 pm

We signed Ndamokung Suh in free agency, paying the most money ever for a defender. Then, we use our 2nd round pick on Phillips in the draft. Beat writers are saying TODAY that DT is a MUST HAVE this offseason!

WTF!

All those resources and money, and it's still a "hole" on the roster? This team just makes no sense sometimes. I, for one, would go Guard or DE or MLB or even CB way before I thought about yet another defensive tackle.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:56 pm

white1 wrote:We signed Ndamokung Suh in free agency, paying the most money ever for a defender.  Then, we use our 2nd round pick on Phillips in the draft.  Beat writers are saying TODAY that DT is a MUST HAVE this offseason!

WTF!

All those resources and money, and it's still a "hole" on the roster? This team just makes no sense sometimes.  I, for one, would go Guard or DE or MLB or even CB way before I thought about yet another defensive tackle.

Same story every year...we dump tons of resources into a position, and it's still a need the following year!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:02 pm

JMP wrote:Same story every year...we dump tons of resources into a position, and it's still a need the following year!

Yes. This absolutely must stop, and Tannenbaum has full accountability to make it stop. We need to start drafting players that become probowlers, and we have to build a squad with quality depth across the board. Injuries happen every year, good teams have the depth to overcome them. That, and you don't have to pay for overpriced free agents when you are building your own talent pool.

Grier and Stokes are supposedly well respected scouts, and Grier was already on board as GM while we were interviewing Gase. Everyone should be on the same page, fully aligned with how to build this team. No excuses. Get it done.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:33 pm

white1 wrote:
JMP wrote:Same story every year...we dump tons of resources into a position, and it's still a need the following year!

Yes. This absolutely must stop, and Tannenbaum has full accountability to make it stop.  We need to start drafting players that become probowlers, and we have to build a squad with quality depth across the board.  Injuries happen every year, good teams have the depth to overcome them.  That, and you don't have to pay for overpriced free agents when you are building your own talent pool.

Grier and Stokes are supposedly well respected scouts, and Grier was already on board as GM while we were interviewing Gase.  Everyone should be on the same page, fully aligned with how to build this team.  No excuses.  Get it done.

Yep - absolutely. But what scares me is this: Grier and Stokes have been a part of the bad drafting, and now that Gase is calling the personnel shots does he have the ability to make decisions on defensive players?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 am

Let's not forget that we had no 7th last year we traded them away! The fucked up thing is that we took lippet and Thompson in the 5th. IMHO you draft starters and role guys in the first 4 rounds and a crap shoot in the 5-7 range.

With glaring holes at guard I would have picked Collins anyway. Look where Thompson is now. We essentially wasted the pick of more to the point we drafted him for New England.

I get the point that he wouldn't sign for 5th round money but everything is a situation. We should have at the very least drafted the rights and worked from there
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Yeah, Thompson was a wasted pick...he clearly was not NFL-ready and probably never will be.  I doubt he does anything with the Pats.

Lippett should have been a 7th round pick or an undrafted FA...he's a project, and taking him the 5th was just too high.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Tannenbaum was the man behind the Phillips pick. I believe Hickey wanted someone else and Tannenbaum over ruled him.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:17 pm

well Philips isn't that bad and he seem to be making the rumors about him untrue

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down