The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time!

+4
finfanatic
JMP
white1
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time! Empty Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time!

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:07 pm

One and done in Miami.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time! Empty Re: Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time!

Post by white1 Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:11 pm

Not terribly surprising. Our offense struggled really all year, and we still have no running game. I know Flores wants to run the ball to complement his defense.

I'm not particularly happy or disappointed in this news. There's always potential to find the next great OC, so I guess for me that's the bright spot. Hopefully we find someone good who will work to build a powerful running attack and can also groom Tua.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time! Empty Re: Chan is gone - UPDATE: for real this time!

Post by white1 Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:30 pm

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Wow. This regime does not waste time.

I thought Chan did a lot of good things considering what he had to work with. But ultimately, the switch to Tua sealed his fate. He had designed the offense specifically for Fitz, and once Tua became the starter he didn't know how to adjust.

I think we need to look to college and bring in a young buck that understands the modern passing game.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:48 pm

BTW - there was that report after the Raiders game that Chan didn't have any notes about Rod Marinelli's defense (new Raiders DC) so was having his staff do research on the fly. They were actually talking with Tua about Marinelli's tendencies right before kickoff, trying to prepare him at the last minute. That's a real clusterfuck and may have been a big factor in Chan getting fired.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Barry Jackson mentions George Godsey if the Phins want to promote someone on the current staff. Godsey is currently the TE coach. He was the QB coach during those two Covid games we played, and seemed to communicate well with Tua. I think Godsey is a very good coach, but I think promoting him to OC would be a very uninspiring move.

Outside the Miami organization, Jackson mentions Bill O'Brien and Anthony Lynn...definitely two interesting choices. But O'Brien could be headed to Alabama.

I think I'd prefer a college coach, as I said. Or maybe someone from the Chiefs staff?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm

Lynn is an interesting name hmmm
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm

This is fake news. ESPN removed the story from their website. Apparently the news came from a fake Twitter account.

So, Gailey hasn't been fired - yet. But I think he'll still get the axe.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 pm

Ha Ha ESPN stinks!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:34 pm

JMP wrote:This is fake news. ESPN removed the story from their website. Apparently the news came from a fake Twitter account.

So, Gailey hasn't been fired - yet.  But I think he'll still get the axe.

A "woke" network delivering fake news??? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say!

And of course something that would've been a good thing turns out to be false Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Now watch this turn into another Sparano situation where Gailey's actually retained out of embarrassment, only to be fired later when it makes absolutely no sense.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 pm

Twitter account - LOL news.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 am

So is that really how ESPN works? They see something on Twitter and report is as fact without verifying? Really? And Schefter works for ESPN...they can't tell the difference between his actual account and a fake account? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 am

JMP wrote:So is that really how ESPN works?  They see something on Twitter and report is as fact without verifying?  Really?  And Schefter works for ESPN...they can't tell the difference between his actual account and a fake account?  scratch

This is how *all* the media operates these days, I'm genuinely shocked you don't know this Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:32 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:So is that really how ESPN works?  They see something on Twitter and report is as fact without verifying?  Really?  And Schefter works for ESPN...they can't tell the difference between his actual account and a fake account?  scratch

This is how *all* the media operates these days, I'm genuinely shocked you don't know this Shocked

I actually don't pay attention to most mainstream media, and I never watch ESPN other than college games and NFL Monday night games. I'm out of the loop with how ESPN operates.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm

I can’t stand ESPN and the fanboy talk shows.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:17 pm

UPDATE:

Flores said that he expects the entire coaching staff to return in 2021. If Gailey is back, he better come up with a plan for Tua - and I think he will, with a full offseason knowing that Tua is the starter.

BUT...

I also won't be surprised if Chan decides to retire.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:31 pm

Yup, Gailey will now be kept out of sheer embarrassment out of the news of his firing leaking. Just as I thought. This will not end well for anyone involved. It's Sparano '11 all over again. And as much as I wanted Gailey gone, I also have empathy and realize how unfair it is to him. Imagine having a job, then seeing public reports of your termination when nobody's personally told you about it, then hours later the same people who reported it said, "Whoops, just kidding! It was fake news!"  

There goes any chance for the offense or Tua improving (sighs). The only scap of a sliver of an iota of hope is that Gailey retires out of fear of catching the virus. Getting fired mid-season won't accomplish anything, and will only make the situation even more nonsensical and worse for him.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:44 pm

Flores is NOT keeping Gailey because of the fake news leaking. He's keeping him because he wants to keep him. Flores isn't making decisions based on ESPN, I can assure you of that.

Although I still think Gailey will either retire or be "forced" to retire.

But if he does stay, he has to create a whole new offense - no other choice.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 pm

I need to look at the "film" so to speak, if I get the time, just to see how Gailey called plays with Fitz under center and Tua under center.

That will tell us all we need to know.

Regardless, Tua needs to take this team over next season, or he's a bust.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:07 pm

Degarmo wrote:I need to look at the "film" so to speak, if I get the time, just to see how Gailey called plays with Fitz under center and Tua under center.

That will tell us all we need to know.

Regardless, Tua needs to take this team over next season, or he's a bust.

I think I said this already, but there are whispers that Gailey designed the offense specifically for Fitz and never expected Tua to play as a rookie. As a result, he was not prepared when Tua became the starter and never really caught up. That makes sense, because with no preseason and Fitz getting all starter reps, how could Gailey be expected to know anything about Tua? He simply didn't know enough about him and didn't get to see much of him in-person. I'd like to think that, having a full offseason to prepare for Tua, Gailey will come up with an entirely new scheme. He's always been a bit of a chameleon, jumping from scheme to scheme to fit personnel, so I think he can do it.

And let's not forget - despite the ups and downs this season's offense scored more points than we have in many years, and was also much better overall on 3rd downs. So, Gailey wasn't as bad as many people seem to believe. If I had a choice, I'd probably move on - but if we have Gailey for another year it isn't the end of the world...provided he figures out how to use Tua.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:51 am

Most points since '86 as a matter of fact Shocked Shocked Shocked

HOWEVER...while the 430 points Miami scored in '86 was tops in the league, the 404 they scored this season was good for only 15th. Offenses and times have changed. I fail to see how this team can upgrade their passing game to modern standards with a 69-year old OC who treats Tua like he was David Woodley in the early '80s. And not thinking the team's top draft pick was actually going to play or knowing anything about him is...beyond inexcusable. Seriously, how the HELL does that happen?!?!

And Tua himself needs to stop being yet another millennial milquetoast who lets other people do his thinking for him. I fear he might be that person for good thanks to growing up with a domineering father, and it might already be too late to convince his teammates that he's The Man, after Fitz showed them how a take charge QB really acts.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:30 am

If the offense was designed for a right-handed QB, then inserting a left-handed one is more than just flipping the plays around. You have to build around him.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:33 am

Sad that Tua wasn’t good enough to run the offense of an old man. Was it to complicated or he’s just not able to throw NFL passes? To short to see the field? Anything over 4 yards was a fricken miracle.

Maybe the guys that run the uniform department can outfit Tua’s shoes with lifts so Tiny Bubbles can see over the line?

Could have had 6’6” now we got George Castanza and the ocean calling wanting it’s shrimp back.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:32 am

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:43 am

Oh man youse guys are cracking me up.

I am fairly certain Gailey views/manages the offensive practices and devises the gameplans and was involved in the decision to go to Tua. Yeah, it is a BIG CHANGE going from a seasoned veteran NFL QB to a rookie for sure, but I feel certain the whole Offensive coaching staff had input on that decision.

Right hand left hand, yeah it makes a difference, but I believe the whole rookie adjustment period to the NFL is the problem with Tua. Suddenly, he is playing with WRs who are NOT vastly Superior to the DBs on the field like at Alabama, (Unless they played Clemson), and the windows are nowhere near what he considered OPEN. THAT has to be a major adjustment. I think Tua can make that adjustment for sure.

My only questions is will he be a Franchise QB or just a good QB?

Time will tell.

After Josh Allen's second season, I would have just labelled him as good, but add Stephon Diggs and a seriously good running attack and suddenly he looks like the real deal.

To tell the truth, I am more worried about Grier being a Spielman than Tua being a bust. So far, he is doing "okay" but when you look back in hindsight (which is always a mistake), I keep saying "Why didn't he do....?" or "Why did he do that?".

I think this draft will tell the tale. That is assuming somebody does not fall in love with a QB and give the Dolphins a fortune in draft picks to get the #3 pick.

If Grier has to stand pat and pick, we should have a clear indication about him and his drafting philosophy.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next