The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OMG TANNEHILL!!!

+6
HalCHorn
Killah Sith
rightchea
Degarmo
JEGnj
DolFan 316
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OMG TANNEHILL!!!  - Page 2 Empty Re: OMG TANNEHILL!!!

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:07 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:The only chance the Titans have of beating the Chiefs is if they somehow force 10 turnovers.  They're not stopping Mahomes, and there's no way a Tannehill-led team - even with Derrick Henry - can put up enough points to win.  It was a great run for Tannehill and his sub-100 yard passing games, but the story ends next Sunday.

If there's one thing I've learned from the NFL this century, it's to never EVER underestimate Andy Reid's ability to blow playoff games in which everything is in his favor going in. Hell, he tried his best to blow the Texans game, but Bill O'Brien just wouldn't let him.

Really curious to see if the officials try to fix both conference title games so that there's a Chiefs-Packers Super Bowl I rematch because of the whole "centennial season" thing. Because the Titans and 49ers are the more physical teams, by far.

Yeah, that is a good point...the "Andy Reid effect" always has to be taken into consideration!

I'm rooting for the Chiefs because the Titans are not a Super Bowl-caliber team, and it would be bad for the league to have that sort of team in the league's biggest game. Chiefs vs. 49ers or Packers would be great matchups...Titans vs. 49ers or Packers would be a joke.

Speaking of Bill O'Brien, my brother was looking at Texans message boards after the loss just for the hell of it and found this gem from a Texans fan: "What a dickless coward-ass coach we have. Get rid of him!"

I think that's a pretty good assessment of O'Brien! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That's a team that wins despite their head coach.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 am

The Titans ironically fired Mike Mularkey the offseason after he WON a playoff game in KC. Seems to have worked out fairly well for them up to this point I'd say. My point is, the precedent has been set. Firing O'Brien might actually be the best thing the Texans can do right now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:25 am

DolFan 316 wrote:The Titans ironically fired Mike Mularkey the offseason after he WON a playoff game in KC. Seems to have worked out fairly well for them up to this point I'd say. My point is, the precedent has been set. Firing O'Brien might actually be the best thing the Texans can do right now.

The potential head coaching pool is so poor right now...but yes, dumping O'Brien would be addition by subtraction IMO.

It could be worse...the Texans could have Kevin Stefanski as their coach! LMAO at the Browns!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The Titans ironically fired Mike Mularkey the offseason after he WON a playoff game in KC. Seems to have worked out fairly well for them up to this point I'd say. My point is, the precedent has been set. Firing O'Brien might actually be the best thing the Texans can do right now.

When you blow a 24 point lead then yeah you need to be ousted. But the issue is that he makes the playoffs almost every year kinda like the Bengals situation with Lewis at the time. Texans will keep him for another 4 to 5 years just because of that.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Posting this for Jmp Twisted Evil

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/week-19-dvoa-ratings

Three of the final four teams are grouped near the top of the current weighted DVOA ratings, ranked from third to fifth. That includes Tennessee, which is only eighth for the entire season (including playoffs) but moves up to fourth in weighted DVOA in part because only one Marcus Mariota game is still included in the formula. In fact, at this point Tennessee is slightly higher than Kansas City in both offense and defense. That's slightly artificial because of Houston playing backups against Tennessee in Week 17, but overall the weighted DVOA formula believes that Kansas City and Tennessee are roughly equivalent at this point. The difference between the two is that Kansas City has superior special teams and the home-field advantage in the AFC Championship Game.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:50 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Posting this for Jmp Twisted Evil

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/week-19-dvoa-ratings

Three of the final four teams are grouped near the top of the current weighted DVOA ratings, ranked from third to fifth. That includes Tennessee, which is only eighth for the entire season (including playoffs) but moves up to fourth in weighted DVOA in part because only one Marcus Mariota game is still included in the formula. In fact, at this point Tennessee is slightly higher than Kansas City in both offense and defense. That's slightly artificial because of Houston playing backups against Tennessee in Week 17, but overall the weighted DVOA formula believes that Kansas City and Tennessee are roughly equivalent at this point. The difference between the two is that Kansas City has superior special teams and the home-field advantage in the AFC Championship Game.

Wow, that's pretty crazy!

One thing that a lot of people aren't mentioning about Tennessee is how much better their D has been since rookie DT Jeffrey Simmons got healthy and started playing. He's a beast.

But either way...Chiefs win by at least 2 TDs. tongue

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:56 pm

JMP wrote:But either way...Chiefs win by at least 2 TDs.  tongue

I'm not sure they'll even score two TDs Razz

But I can relate to how you feel about the Titans, because it's the same way I felt about the '08 Cardinals. I was actually pissed when they clobbered the Panthers in the divisional round (another 10-plus point favorite that lost big) and borderline apoplectic when they actually won the NFC title game (over an Andy Reid-coached team) Evil or Very Mad but then I felt foolish for being so angry that a team I didn't care about one way or the other reached the Super Bowl and also downright petty since it was a truly historic and ecstatic moment for both that franchise and its fans. (Not saying *you* should feel foolish and petty, you can feel however you want, just saying that I too have been in this same situation.) And it turned out the Cards put up a pretty good fight in the Super Bowl.

BTW the GF is officially emotionally torn because I told her about Andy Reid and how many times he's made the playoffs without winning so now she's rooting for him but she also wants the Titans to make it too so I'm not sure how she's going to handle watching the game. I'll be fine either way and will be rooting for whoever wins in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:45 pm

JMP wrote:

The potential head coaching pool is so poor right now...but yes, dumping O'Brien would be addition by subtraction IMO.

Jason Garrett is available.

Very Happy

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Garrett may be the new Giants OC!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:38 pm

TANNEHILL UPDATE: He's actually made some good throws, has almost as many completions in the first half as he did in the two previous playoff games combined, hasn't been pressured nearly as much as I thought he might be, led the Titans to a score on their first three drives, and...it's still not enough as the Chiefs lead by 4 at the half. And get the ball to start the second half. If KC opens the 3rd with a TD the Tannehill Train might be coming to an end.

Also, Mahomes is the league's best QB right now. Dude is the truth. He's everything Lamar Jackson is supposed to be but isn't. Mahomes is who Burrow wants to be when he grows up.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Chiefs now up by 11 early in the 4th. Titans have had ONE drive the entire second half so far, Reid is beating them at their own game. Looks like Tannehill will actually have to win it with his arm. Can he do it???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 pm

3 and out in the first half. I said, "Game's over, that's it, they had their chance." The Titans/Vrabel needed to gamble to win this game. He played Martyball and shit the bed.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm

How unfortunately, and predictably boring.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Degarmo wrote:3 and out in the first half.  I said, "Game's over, that's it, they had their chance."  The Titans/Vrabel needed to gamble to win this game.  He played Martyball and shit the bed.

I disagree. That's not why they lost. The Titans made the Chiefs play exactly the way they wanted them to play. Vrabel correctly realized it was the only way they'd have a chance. But when Reid started beating him at his own game with that clock killing TD drive and then Vrabel had the gutless punt that's when I finally figured it could be over. When Mahomes bombed it for that final Chiefs score I knew.

And even THEN Reid did a really awful job of closing it out. Fittingly the game ends with a Tannehill sack. He didn't play badly at all, but Mahomes is so far beyond what Tannehill is as a QB and always will be.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:17 pm

I was rooting for Tannehill today. He played pretty well, and I take little pleasure in this but it’s the Titans turn to ask this question: is he good enough?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:51 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:3 and out in the first half.  I said, "Game's over, that's it, they had their chance."  The Titans/Vrabel needed to gamble to win this game.  He played Martyball and shit the bed.

I disagree. That's not why they lost. The Titans made the Chiefs play exactly the way they wanted them to play. Vrabel correctly realized it was the only way they'd have a chance. But when Reid started beating him at his own game with that clock killing TD drive and then Vrabel had the gutless punt that's when I finally figured it could be over. When Mahomes bombed it for that final Chiefs score I knew.

And even THEN Reid did a really awful job of closing it out. Fittingly the game ends with a Tannehill sack. He didn't play badly at all, but Mahomes is so far beyond what Tannehill is as a QB and always will be.

I was saying on that 3 and out they were too conservative, and everyone and their mother knew KC was going to march down and score a TD. The Titans needed to go for the throat right then. When they didn't, I knew the game was over, and from that point on, it was over. The Titans never seriously challenged at all again in the game.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm

Degarmo wrote:How unfortunately, and predictably boring.

49ers-Packers game says hold my beer.

It seems like we simply disagree about when the game was over. That's fine. I still say when KC started to beat the Titans at their own game (even the announcers were shocked at how many run plays Reid was calling) was the beginning of the end.

I do think teams facing 4th down when trailing in playoff games need to go for it way more, but it's a mindset I'm not sure will ever be eliminated completely, especially considering how many 4th down tries already failed in the playoffs so far.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm

white1 wrote:I was rooting for Tannehill today. He played pretty well, and I take little pleasure in this but it’s the Titans turn to ask this question: is he good enough?

To win a title? Probably not. But neither are about 25-28 starting QBs in any given season. Which is why all this talk about multiple QB prospects in this next draft is silly IMO. It's Burrow and a bunch of poseurs and pretenders. But then teams find themselves in the trap of likely getting a worse QB if they let the one they have walk. Good really is the enemy of great.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:26 pm

Happy for Tannehill. He had to go somewhere on a one year "prove it" contract as a backup, and proceeded to do so. To those who keep whining about Kaepernick never getting signed: Tannehill and Bridgewater had to do it this year, it's what you do when your star has fallen. Plenty of QB's in the past have made good on second chances elsewhere on cheap contracts, starting as backups: Randall Cunningham in Minnesota and Plunkett in Oakland are just two of those stories from decades past.

If you aren't willing to go somewhere and work your way back into a starting job, you really don't want to play. Good on Tannehill for doing so, and I believe Bridgewater earned himself more money this year too.

Garoppolo was the 5th QB selected in his draft, and not until the end of the 2nd round, but the first to get to the Bowl.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:30 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Happy for Tannehill.  He had to go somewhere on a one year "prove it" contract as a backup, and proceeded to do so.  To those who keep whining about Kaepernick never getting signed: Tannehill and Bridgewater had to do it this year, it's what you do when your star has fallen.  Plenty of QB's in the past have made good on second chances elsewhere on cheap contracts, starting as backups: Randall Cunningham in Minnesota and Plunkett in Oakland are just two of those stories from decades past.  

If you aren't willing to go somewhere and work your way back into a starting job, you really don't want to play.  Good on Tannehill for doing so, and I believe Bridgewater earned himself more money this year too.

Garoppolo was the 5th QB selected in his draft, and not until the end of the 2nd round, but the first to get to the Bowl.

Imagine how horrifying and depressing it would be if the Pats still had him and wound up winning something like 5 more Super Bowls the rest of this decade even after Brady retired Shocked Shocked Shocked Thank God Belichick was overruled in this case!!!

Where do you have this Titans team in the postseason pantheon BTW? Obviously they couldn't quite reach the big one like the '08 Cards, or the '07 and '11 Giants, but are they really that similar to the '96 Jags, '87 Vikings, or in a unique category of their own?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:37 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

Imagine how horrifying and depressing it would be if the Pats still had him and wound up winning something like 5 more Super Bowls the rest of this decade even after Brady retired Shocked Shocked Shocked Thank God Belichick was overruled in this case!!!

Where do you have this Titans team in the postseason pantheon BTW? Obviously they couldn't quite reach the big one like the '08 Cards, or the '07 and '11 Giants, but are they really that similar to the '96 Jags, '87 Vikings, or in a unique category of their own?

Yeah, Kraft's edict did get the Pats one more bowl, but at a likely cost of more than one long-term. As you said: Good! Smile

The Titans were honestly underrated going in in hindsight. They were 3rd in yards per rush offensively, 7th defensively, and 7th in yards per pass play on offense. And clearly, the latter number was dragged down by having Mariota start nearly half the season. They probably win at least one more game, maybe two, if Tannehill had won the job and played similarly all season.

Seems like almost every year, one team gets hot at the right time and does surprisingly well in the playoffs. I can't think of a really similar one in recent years, since most of the nonbye teams that went on a run like them (i.e. 2010 Jets, 2017 Jaguars) had poor QB play holding them back. Titans really didn't, they just didn't have to throw that much to win the first two games.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Fuck Tannehill - he was who I thought he was. The Chiefs shut down Henry and put the game on Tannehill's shoulders - and just like he did with the Dolphins for 7 years, he shit the bed. That Titans team had no business being in the championship game, and today they showed why: you cannot win with a mediocre QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:17 am

JMP wrote:Fuck Tannehill - he was who I thought he was.  The Chiefs shut down Henry and put the game on Tannehill's shoulders - and just like he did with the Dolphins for 7 years, he shit the bed.  That Titans team had no business being in the championship game, and today they showed why: you cannot win with a mediocre QB.

Don't be so shy Jmp, tell us how you really feel, you introvert you Laughing Razz

Again, Tannehill didn't play any worse than the previous two playoff games. He didn't turn it over and he didn't get sacked anywhere near as much as I figured he would. By the time of that last sack the game was long over anyway. The Titans were done in more by their D allowing two straight TD drives to turn a 4-point deficit into an 18-point one, the bizarre decision to punt down 11 in the 4th, and their plan to slow down the game by limiting each team's number of drives backfiring on them. Henry didn't even really get "shut down", the Chiefs' offense did more to stop him than their D by getting the lead and expanding it.

Also I would say that by beating the Pats and Ravens on the road, and leading by 10 twice in this game, the Titans most definitely belonged in their conference title game a whole lot more than the Packers did in theirs. I especially loved when the GB center suddenly decided to snap the ball directly into his own anus when they were already down 17-0, that was some scintillating stuff right there.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:12 am

Tannehill is exactly who he is, someone that cant handle the pressure when it really counts. plain and simple. he gonna get your Hope's up and break them like it was a dream

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:29 pm

rightchea wrote:Tannehill is exactly who he is, someone that cant handle the pressure when it really counts. plain and simple. he gonna get your Hope's up and break them like it was a dream

OMG TANNEHILL!!!  - Page 2 Z

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2