The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 Draft Thread

+8
JEGnj
Killah Sith
rightchea
Degarmo
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
JMP
DolFan 316
12 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

2020 Draft Thread  - Page 15 Empty Re: 2020 Draft Thread

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 am

Tomorrow, give me Josh Jones and a RB (Dobbins, Taylor, Swift) and I'm happy.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 am

I just want to remind everybody that the whole clusterfuck at 30 started with Grier deciding to trade down for literally no reason. That is all.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:17 am

15 of the 32 picks were from the SEC!!! Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:18 am

JMP wrote:Tomorrow, give me Josh Jones and a RB (Dobbins, Taylor, Swift) and I'm happy.

What does Taylor Swift have to do with this draft? Is she going to be in an ad telling us all we need to stay home while she parties in her mansion? Razz

I'm not sure I'll even be watching tomorrow night honestly. Tonight was just too much, and almost none of it even had anything to do with Grier's actual picks.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:19 am

At the end of the day, we got a potential franchise QB and a left tackle. Anything else is gravy.

TUA!!!!! cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:20 am

JMP wrote:15 of the 32 picks were from the SEC!!!   Shocked

That's especially amazing considering Bama was down last season and SEC teams not named LSU were mediocre at best. Then again, they were something like 6-2 in bowl games.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Tomorrow, give me Josh Jones and a RB (Dobbins, Taylor, Swift) and I'm happy.

What does Taylor Swift have to do with this draft? Is she going to be in an ad telling us all we need to stay home while she parties in her mansion? Razz

I'm not sure I'll even be watching tomorrow night honestly. Tonight was just too much, and almost none of it even had anything to do with Grier's actual picks.

LOL at Taylor Swift!

Again, ESPN sucks. But I'll be watching...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:24 am

You guys know I'm not a PFF guy, but I'm looking for positive about our third pick:

Austin Gayle
@PFF_AustinGayle
·
23m
New Dolphins cornerback Noah Igbinoghene is still learning the position and needs to improve his play at the catch point, but his match-and-mirror ability and deep speed are rare — he has special movement skills teams will covet early.

I guess I'll trust Flores on this one...for now.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:27 am

Check this out:

Armando Salguero
@ArmandoSalguero
·
2h
Tua says he talked to Flores, Grier and Stephen Ross on zoom calls once every week basically since combine.

Wow! In other words, the Dolphins did an epic job of spreading the smoke.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:29 am

Adam Beasley
✔@AdamHBeasley

Grier said Noah at 30 was "the best player on the board. ... You can never have enough corners. It's a premium position. The more you have, the better."

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:37 am

JMP wrote:
Adam Beasley
✔@AdamHBeasley

Grier said Noah at 30 was "the best player on the board. ... You can never have enough corners. It's a premium position. The more you have, the better."

I don't believe that for a second. If he was so obviously the best player on the board, then why did Grier and Flores feel the need to argue for what seemed like half an hour before making the pick?

IMO Grier traded down because he thought Wilson (the original target all along) would still be there and when the Titans snatched him up, Grier panicked and had no plan B so he allowed Flores to bully him into taking some random CB. It was announced three times that the pick was in before it was actually in because Grier and Flores kept arguing over who it should be.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:48 am

Or the pick could be something of a warning to Howard.  It makes sense to me that we are at 1 and 2 highest paid corners with no premium pass rushers.  

I’m left wondering if Grier/Flores are preparing an exit plan for Howard
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:48 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:
Adam Beasley
✔@AdamHBeasley

I don't believe that for a second. If he was so obviously the best player on the board, then why did Grier and Flores feel the need to argue for what seemed like half an hour before making the pick?

IMO Grier traded down because he thought Wilson (the original target all along) would still be there and when the Titans snatched him up, Grier panicked and had no plan B so he allowed Flores to bully him into taking some random CB. It was announced three times that the pick was in before it was actually in because Grier and Flores kept arguing over who it should be.

I don't know...I think it could be as simple as: Flores loves him some DBs, and Noah checks every box for what he wants in a DB. I do believe Grier wanted someone else, but when you have 3 first rounders I suppose you can afford to reach with the third one.

Honestly, the more I read about this dude, the more I think he can be great in this defense. And I guess that's all that matters...even though there were better overall players available. Scheme fit is crazy important in this particular defense, and Noah fits the bill. Not a real big fan, but I can at least understand it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:51 am

Umix10 wrote:Or the pick could be something of a warning to Howard.  It makes sense to me that we are at 1 and 2 highest paid corners with no premium pass rushers.  

I don't think so. Noah seems like an ideal slot corner...he's too small to be a boundary corner in this D. Gotta be over 6 feet tall to play outside in this scheme. But...there are exceptions to everything, so who knows?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:53 am

Well, time for me to put head to bed.  I'll leave you with this:

2020 Draft Thread  - Page 15 Giphy

TUA!!!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:26 am

JMP wrote:Well, time for me to put head to bed.  I'll leave you with this:

2020 Draft Thread  - Page 15 Giphy

TUA!!!!!

That’s awesome

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am

Miami has sucked for 20 years. Most draft picks have been busts. For once I'm actually being optimistic and hoping they picked great players that will help the team in the future. Worried about Tua's health but hoping he can be the franchise.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 am

JEGnj wrote:Miami has sucked for 20 years. Most draft picks have been busts. For once I'm actually being optimistic and hoping they picked great players that will help the team in the future. Worried about Tua's health but hoping he can be the franchise.

All we have is hope at this point! LOL

I do have confidence in the coaching staff for the first time in forever, so that's a good thing. Having a staff that can coach up and develop players is a big step toward building a champion.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:45 am

JMP wrote:
Umix10 wrote:Or the pick could be something of a warning to Howard.  It makes sense to me that we are at 1 and 2 highest paid corners with no premium pass rushers.  

I don't think so.  Noah seems like an ideal slot corner...he's too small to be a boundary corner in this D. Gotta be over 6 feet tall to play outside in this scheme.  But...there are exceptions to everything, so who knows?

One interesting things I saw online...maybe by adding Noah they can move Jones around a little bit.  Jones has played some safety, so maybe he becomes a bit of a chess piece now that we have another reliable corner?  Supposedly Noah excels at press coverage (which is a must for DBs in this defense) and is a great tackler.  We'll see...

Will be interesting to see what they do with Bobby McCain...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:14 am

JMP wrote:
JMP wrote:

I don't think so.  Noah seems like an ideal slot corner...he's too small to be a boundary corner in this D. Gotta be over 6 feet tall to play outside in this scheme.  But...there are exceptions to everything, so who knows?

One interesting things I saw online...maybe by adding Noah they can move Jones around a little bit.  Jones has played some safety, so maybe he becomes a bit of a chess piece now that we have another reliable corner?  Supposedly Noah excels at press coverage (which is a must for DBs in this defense) and is a great tackler.  We'll see...

Lmao I’m so excited that I have tunnel vision.  That possibility is probably more viable than mine and more likely.  My problem is, I don’t like havin the top 2 highest paid at the position.  I think it is counterproductive.  Especially with the rebuild plan targeted over the next 2-3 years.  At which time the percentage of those two contracts against the cap could be at its peak if I’m not mistaken.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:21 am

I did some reading this morning to learn about Noah (can't type his last name yet, my head hurts) - and ultimately (surprise from the resident Optimist) I do like the pick.

Several things come to mind:

A pattern is starting to emerge. Both the OT we took and Noah are prospects that are not yet fully developed. Each has been described as having a phenomenal ceiling, they aren't polished and ready by any means. The OT is only 20 years old and was not at full strength last year due to bone marrow transplant. But he has the elite athletic traits (feet quickness, knee bend, size and power) that indicate he will develop into an excellent left tackle.

Noah is in a very similar mold. Converted from WR to CB so he's spent only about 1+ season at his current position. However, demonstrated elite ability to "flip hips" with excellent recovery speed, physical in press and a willing run defender. His technique and coverage skills will need to be coached and developed, but he has every trait to indicate he will develop into a very good CB.

Likely he starts off in the slot, but also serves as insurance for X Howard injury (or trade), and he probably is a backup if McCain comes back to slot and we draft a free safety. All makes sense considering where he is in his career development.

Grier and Flores are demonstrating their focus on long-term with these draft picks. Tua? Great pick, but highly likely he won't play until Nov / Dec at the earliest. Jackson? Probably won't start at LT because he's too raw. Same with Noah. But all three are going to pay huge dividends in 2021 with a season of training under their belts.

This is not a win-now approach. This is an approach to build the roster long-term, and we took premier positions with all three first round picks (QB, LT, CB).
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:04 pm

sorry i wasn't present in the forums during the draft, but the truth is my old arse just can't focus (and type fast enough) on the TV and a laptop at the same time. i had my cousin (Cowboys), daughter (Falcons) and nephew (Raiders) all texting me while my son (Dolphins, thank God) was jumping up and down. it was driving me nuts as i couldn't focus. but when i would watch, damn that coverage was awful!! like DF316 said, i thought the whole idea of the draft (and sports in general) was to distract us ever so briefly from how horrible things really are. and damn it if they didn't take every opportunity to keep reminding us just horrible things really are.

anyways. happy about drafting Tua. i hope he turns out to be everything he looked like he would be. it was the right choice and i am even more pleased that they didn't get duped into trading away assets to move up. they let the top of the draft come to them...almost like they are a professional franchise.

i like Jackson ok, but perhaps not at 18. yes, he's athletic and has a lot of potential. but there is a lot (and i mean a lot) that needs to be worked on. he does have the tendency to lean and let guys into his body when facing power, but maybe he just wasn't physically ready for this season after getting his bone marrow corkscrewed out of him. but he gets points for being selfless and jeopardizing his career for his sister. a year in an NFL weightroom will hopefully do him wonders. question...as Tua is a lefty, does Jackson playing LT actually make him the defacto RT - just on the left side?

i'll have to defer to the experts on the Noah pick. i guess the raw talent is worth a shot - although it was tough to see Edwards-Helaire go two picks later. perhaps Dobbins in the 2nd would mitigate. perhaps Noah's kick return ability will be what makes this pick worthwhile in the short term and he'll develop into a solid DB in the long run. this does seem to confirm that McCain will be a safety moving forward...which concerns me a bit.

onto round 2...

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:
JMP wrote:

Lmao I’m so excited that I have tunnel vision.  That possibility is probably more viable than mine and more likely.  My problem is, I don’t like havin the top 2 highest paid at the position.  I think it is counterproductive.  Especially with the rebuild plan targeted over the next 2-3 years.  At which time the percentage of those two contracts against the cap could be at its peak if I’m not mistaken.

I hear you for sure.  Fortunately, cap space isn't an issue for the Dolphins and shouldn't be in the near future either - so I'm not too worried.  We aren't paying big $ at high-priced positions like QB, OL, WR, RB and DE, so we can afford to go big at CB - for now.  I may be wrong, but I think both Jones and Howard have contracts that are heavily front-loaded, so that will ease the burden down the road.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Great posts, white and merc!

Merc, I was hoping to hear your thoughts on Jackson - thanks for that. I'm excited about the upside, but it could be a bit painful early on.

As white said, we have to look at these picks long-term. The current staff is attempting to build a team that can contend for a long time - not just "now". A nice change from past regimes.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:32 pm

My thoughts real quick on round 1. First of all, Miami picking Tua was probably the only pick they could have done that made the most sense. Getting Herbert would have set a lot of fans off. Despite all the injuries that was listed, he is probably the best thing for Miami. Still looking for Miami to go after another QB in the later round to compete with Rosen.

I not too big on Austin Jackson because he from the Pac-12 and most teams in the 12 do not have great defenses. But at least Miami picked up a OT.

Now this pick has me thinking they wanted Noah Igbinoghene but not in the first round at 30. They took a long time to draft because I think they were trying to trade out of that pick and no one was biting. But I think he a good pick up for competition purposes

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next