The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury

+2
JMP
rightchea
6 posters

Go down

Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury Empty Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury

Post by rightchea Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Safid Deen wrote:The Dolphins will continue to monitor cornerback Byron Jones' groin injury, which caused him to miss all but one series in the past two games.

“Byron is working extremely hard to get back as soon as he can,” Dolphins coach Brian Flores said of Jones on Monday, less than a week before the team hosts the Seattle Seahawks at Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday.

“He’s in here working and making a lot of improvement. We’ll see how this goes this week.”

Jones, who played in 49 of 50 games with the Dallas Cowboys before joining the Dolphins, did not play in Miami’s 31-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars on hursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/dolphins-cb-byron-jones-groin-injury-is-improving-flores-offers-praise-to-heat-and-marlins/ar-BB19vomM

I think I would rather have Jones out for one more game and not risk it getting worse. Missing one more game isn't that serious

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury Empty Re: Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury

Post by JMP Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Here's my thought:

Call me crazy, but if Byron Jones plays against Seattle, I think the Phins can get a win. But without Jones, I don't think we have much chance. So, if Jones is ready to go - he plays. We need all hands on deck.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury Empty Re: Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury

Post by finskev Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm

We need All the Help that we can get to Beat Seattle including Engine Trouble with the Plane where the have to Land Multiple Time for Repairs and Heat Index over 100 Sunday Afternoon .
Plus We will have to Score over 30 Points at Less Flores can come up with Masterful Gameplan to contain there Offense.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:42 pm

finskev wrote:We need All the Help that we can get to Beat Seattle including Engine Trouble with the Plane where the have to Land Multiple Time for Repairs and Heat Index over 100 Sunday Afternoon .
Plus We will have to Score over 30 Points at Less Flores can come up with Masterful Gameplan to contain there Offense.

LOL Plane trouble would definitely help! Twisted Evil

I look at the game this way: Seattle allows almost 29 points a game through 3 games, and in the last two games the Dolphins' offense has averaged 29.5 points per game. So, I definitely think the Phins can put up some points. The real questions are: 1. can we somehow contain Russell Wilson and stop him from putting up insane numbers???, and 2. which QB shows up for Miami - FitzMagic or FitzTragic???

The Seahawks are banged up right now, and have to travel all the way across the country to play a game that starts at 10 AM their time. I think this is a prime spot for an upset.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Totally agree. At the same time, as you said, Wilson is having a career defining season to this point. It's early, but he is absolutely on fire and lighting up the score board.

Our defense is going to need to take another step forward from the Jax game.

Overall, I think it's just too much talent for us to overcome. But this team has surprised us before!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm

This is the only acceptable place to discuss the health of another man's groin without snickering.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:18 pm

Ain't nothing funny about a groin injury, but...

Seahawks game preview + Byron Jones' groin injury You-know-what-o7opmb

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:25 pm

white1 wrote:Totally agree.  At the same time, as you said, Wilson is having a career defining season to this point.  It's early, but he is absolutely on fire and lighting up the score board.

Our defense is going to need to take another step forward from the Jax game.  

Overall, I think it's just too much talent for us to overcome.  But this team has surprised us before!

I'm figuring Seattle scores 30-35.  And the Seattle pass defense is just bad enough that I think the Miami offense can hang with that.  The problem comes if we give up 40+...then it's game over.  That's why I think getting Jones back - and healthy - is so key for this matchup.

I think Seattle's D has given up over 1300 passing yards already - a record for the first 3 games of a season.  And as I said, they have allowed 86 points in 3 games.  Looking at that, I think Fitz, Parker, Williams, Gesicki, and even Grant can feast.

So yeah, I'm expecting an old-fashioned shoot out.

Check out this article about the Seahawks' D:
https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/34338/despite-3-0-start-seahawks-defense-has-been-more-big-12-than-legion-of-boom

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:11 am

In their defense, they have played Atlanta, New England and Dallas - all teams with prolific offenses and weapons at multiple positions to go along with Pro Bowl caliber quarterbacks.

Miami could very well say the same thing - we also faced New England, the Buffalo offense looks worlds better than last year, and we got lucky against the Jags in that missing Chark, their starting Center, and having their LT ejected allowed us to face a more watered-down version of what was a prolific offense.

I'd give the edge to Seattle in that they won the games and we didn't, and I rank their opponents higher than ours so far.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am

white1 wrote:In their defense, they have played Atlanta, New England and Dallas - all teams with prolific offenses and weapons at multiple positions to go along with Pro Bowl caliber quarterbacks.

Miami could very well say the same thing - we also faced New England, the Buffalo offense looks worlds better than last year, and we got lucky against the Jags in that missing Chark, their starting Center, and having their LT ejected allowed us to face a more watered-down version of what was a prolific offense.

I'd give the edge to Seattle in that they won the games and we didn't, and I rank their opponents higher than ours so far.

I'd argue that Seattle's opponents aren't much more impressive, if at all, than ours:
--The Falcons are a poorly-coached team that makes tons of mistakes at the worst possible times, and their defense is terrible. I'd say they are about equal with the Jags - although the Jags have a far better defense and actually have a win.
--Dallas is a team that should be great, but is really just mediocre so far. Buffalo is much, much better right now.
--We both played New England- and they are still New England...unfortunately.

Yes, the Seahawks won all their games and we didn't - and they are clearly better than the Phins. But the Dolphins are improving, and in a lot of ways this game is set up favorably for an upset (injuries, weather, travel/time zone, etc.) We'll see...in the end, the Seahawks probably win - but I think it's going to be a lot closer than everyone seems to think - and an upset would not surprise me.

***BTW...changing the thread title since this has become a game preview more than anything else...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Back on the Byron Jones front - it is sounding less and less likely that he will play Sunday. Sad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:59 pm

Yeah, it sounds like he will be out for the next couple of games

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 pm

rightchea wrote:Yeah, it sounds like he will be out for the next couple of games

Man, that sucks. I have been dying to see him play in this defense!

On the good news front: Parker is no longer on the injury report and he is practicing in full. cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:51 am

The team’s highest-paid player (and best cover corner so far this season) missed the last game and both practices this week with a groin injury.

If Jones can’t go, the Dolphins will have a decision to make: Stick Noah Igbinoghene on Metcalf, like they did with Stefon Diggs in Week 2 with little success, or turn to Xavien Howard, who is finding his form after spending the offseason rehabbing a major knee injury?

Added Dolphins defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander: “Sometimes it’s not just as easy as saying, ‘X, go cover him.’ There’s a lot of things that go beyond that because I think Tyler Lockett also needs attention as far as the coverage is concerned. They have weapons.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article246119875.html

sounds a little bit like a team going, "oh shit, we're in trouble."

truth is, Howard's best season came in a defense that played a lot more off-man and zone when Burke was DC. this regime wants to play a lot of press-man coverage and could do that with Jones in the line-up, but perhaps not as well without him (see Buffalo game). the team did play a lot more off-man against Jacksonville, but if the pass rush doesn't show up against Seattle, Wilson will feast on the Phins DB's.

when i predict a Phins win, they lose (NE). if i predict a Phins blowout loss, they lose close (Buff). if i predict a Phins close lose, they win in a blowout (Jax). so you know what...

Miami Dolphins - 27
Seattle Seahawks - 28

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:36 am

I feel like Miami will try to play them the same way Miami played the Jags. Not allowing a lot of deep passes and go for tackles underneath. Miami has a lot of work ahead of them when it comes to playing against Seattle this week.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:45 pm

rightchea wrote:I feel like Miami will try to play them the same way Miami played the Jags. Not allowing a lot of deep passes and go for tackles underneath. Miami has a lot of work ahead of them when it comes to playing against Seattle this week.

Agreed on all counts. I don't think we have anyone that can cover Lockett or Metcalf in man all day...so best bet is probably to play off coverage and keep everything underneath, hoping to eliminate the big plays. TE Greg Olsen is starting to come on strong too, so he's yet another guy to watch.

Merc - while I do agree that pressuring Wilson will be a key, that's a dangerous game...have to make sure he doesn't scramble away from heat and gain big yardage on the ground. Definitely an "oh shit" team to face...they have so many ways to beat you. Everyone on the Miami D needs to bring their best in this one.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Interesting update on Byron Jones:

It wasn’t so much what Byron Jones did Thursday that points to him playing Sunday, but what he said.

By making the star cornerback and Dolphins’ highest-paid player available to reporters after he did rehab work in front of the media earlier in the day, coaches and staff are signaling that there’s a good chance he’ll be available Sunday against the Seahawks.

The Dolphins, unannounced, put Jones on a Zoom call with Miami media after Thursday’s practice.

Here’s what he said about the groin injury that kept him out of all but four plays the last two weeks:

“I feel really good. Rehab has been on schedule, which is great. Honestly, it’s day by day. I felt really good today so we’ll see where we’re at.”

When asked what physical threshold he needs to reach to play in Week 4, Jones responded:

“We just have to keep running through the paces. Today was a really good challenge. And tomorrow is going to be a bigger challenge. As you go on, you continue to push yourself and gain confidence. You start at 50 percent, then you go to 65 percent, then 75 percent. It’s just about the workload, the speed, how the recovery is and how I feel the next day. But I’d say we’re on a good track.”

An important disclaimer: It’s entirely possible that the Dolphins, knowing the message having Jones speak to reporters would send about his likelihood to play, are trying to fool the Seahawks.

Perhaps Jones won’t be ready just two weeks after getting hurt.

But the more likely scenario — based on how he looked running, catching and changing directions during practice Thursday — is that he’s made real progress and the team is hopeful he can go.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article246142155.html

Fingers crossed...would be incredible to get him back for this game.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:57 pm

Xavien Howard practiced in full today, so that's good news. Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:40 am

I'm jacked up for this game! Even though it's a non-conference game, I feel like this could be a turning point type of game for this young team if they can somehow pull out a win. What the Phins need more than anything is to learn how to win, and to play with confidence. Beating a potential Super Bowl contender could set the tone moving forward.

I think Coach Flo will have the Phins ready to play, and I'm predicting a 31-28 last-minute victory, with Jason Sanders nailing a 50+ yarder for the win. GO PHINS!!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Seahawks:
Safety Jamal Adams is out, RB Chris Carson should play

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down