The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumor: X Howard on Trading Block

5 posters

Go down

Rumor:  X Howard on Trading Block Empty Rumor: X Howard on Trading Block

Post by white1 Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 pm

Would anyone care to venture a guess why we would shop one of the best CBs in the NFL, that we JUST signed to a 5 year extension last year under the current regime?

This one has me struggling. STOP TRADING AWAY TALENT.

Now is the time to ACQUIRE it. Draft picks are not sure things, X Howard IS a sure thing...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Rumor:  X Howard on Trading Block Empty Re: Rumor: X Howard on Trading Block

Post by JMP Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Don't worry - it isn't true. Apparently a couple of teams did contact the Phins about Howard's availability, but they are not trading him.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Dolphins to me:"The report in the South Florida Sun Sentinel is factually inaccurate and based on rumors.The paper practiced poor journalism by not reaching out to the team for comment or the chance to respond to the story. We are not exploring any trades regarding Xavien Howard."

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 am

I was wondering

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:41 am

correct. it wasn't Miami shopping him, but rather teams (as they always do) inquiring about the possibility...

At least two teams have called about Howard but there had not been any serious trade negotiations as of Tuesday afternoon, according to a source.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article246514545.html

Howard apparently has been ambivalent about being traded...

A source close to Howard said he would be fine if he’s traded or not.

and why is that...and why would teams even call about him...

If Howard were to request a trade, that could obviously alter the Dolphins’ thinking because this regime has a history of trading unhappy players (Minkah Fitzpatrick, Kiko Alonso). Though Howard hasn’t always been totally happy with the Dolphins, he hadn’t requested a trade as of Tuesday morning.

Howard apparently hasn't been thrilled with the way this regime has used him and was not too happy about last year's trading away of talent.
But now that Miami and Howard, himself, are starting to taste some success, hopefully all is well.

my feelings towards Howard have been schizophrenic. i so wanted to be a huge fan and he was almost my favorite Dolphin. he got hurt (out of his control), signed a huge contract and then struggled last year. at first i thought the struggles were a result of recovering from injury, but then there were reports of him being less than happy and not doing the things necessary to totally buy into the new system (hence last year's struggles). but now things seem to have turned the corner. perhaps its coaching or perhaps its a matter of pride...i can only imagine the Jones' deal was a wakeup call to Howard. nonetheless, he's a huge part of this defense and trading him now would be absolutely stupid!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:24 am

Good thoughts.

I can imagine Howard, like any elite player under a huge contract, was not happy with the "tank for Tua" talk and the dumping of obvious talents last season. We had street free agents on the field all over the place, and early in the season were getting embarrassed to the tune of double digit defeats. He APPEARS to be happy this season, in that we're a .500 squad on the rise and many problems with last year's team have been corrected. He's getting his INTs and the defense is playing well.

Omar got slapped on the wrist due to that story. Now, he's griping about "oh yeah they don't want to talk trade they just accidentally traded more than anyone in the NFL." While true, he glosses over the fact that was LAST year when we had a bunch of over priced veterans, and a new GM and new head coach that recognized the need to tear it down to the foundation. And the years before when Gase was shipping anyone out of town that dared challenge his terrible leadership. He doesn't account for the fact we have the QB we wanted all along, we fortified the offensive line, and are now building the squad - not continuing to tear it down.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:54 am

Good posts, merc and whte.

Revisiting those big trades last year, both were addition by subtraction. Sure, we got three 1sts and a 2nd for Minkah, Tunsil and Stills - but we also improved the team chemistry. Minkah was nothing special in Miami and has been boom or bust in Pittsburgh - but more importantly, he had become a locker room cancer in Miami. Tunsil was a penalty machine (led the entire NFL in penalties last season) and never lived up to his hype (remember, he was considered by some people to be a top 3 player in that draft class). Stills is/was a one-trick pony who was becoming a distraction with his political views. So, yeah - I think those trades played a huge part in cleaning up the locker room and improving the culture of the team. As an added bonus, we didn't have to wreck our cap by giving Tunsil a boatload of money like the Texans did.

As for X, I'm not sure if he realizes it, but adding Jones was the best thing that could happen to him. Why? Because Jones can take the opposition's best receiver out of the game, and rarely gets thrown at. That gives X more opportunities to make plays, usually against a team's #2 receiver. If nothing else, X is a ballhawk - one of the league's best, in fact. Right now X is playing in one of the league's top secondaries, and he's playing at a Pro Bowl level. I can't imagine any reason he'd be unhappy.

Bottom line: this team has a plan and a vision now. It seems like most of the players have bought in. I'd like to think X is on board. If he's not, he'll be traded at some point. With Flores, you're either part of the solution (both on AND off the field) or you're out.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Xavien Howard situation is no different than Tagavailoa. We don't see things in practice. Only the games. Yes Howard is seeing success, no doubt. But at what price to team chemistry? Like Howard the numbers are there. But are we actually improving. Just like Fitz, his numbers are there but are we improving.

We are not at practice. Maybe there's something coming out of practice that causes them to think we could move on. Everything is a situation. Although we only see the Sunday result, we may not know of Howards displeasure in practice. Rumors are rumors but Kelly has been around a long time not reporting irresponsibly. Do I believe the rumor, sure cause that's how you entice people to make an offer. Would they do it? Maybe, because having 3 number ones is better than 2. Having to get younger means cap space. And if the guy has already gone on record about the scheme. Would it be so different than past players who were semi disgruntled?

Just my way of thinking
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm

I don't believe a thing Omar Kelly says. I think he does make stuff up - either that, or he just has really, really bad sources. His "reporting" has become more and more fake news over the years.

Howard is seeing success, no doubt. But at what price to team chemistry? Like Howard the numbers are there. But are we actually improving.

As an outsider, to me it seems like team chemistry is as positive as I've ever seen with the Phins. And the secondary has improved ENORMOUSLY this season. The defense is #1 on 3rd down and near the top in fewest points per game. I view Howard as a big part of that improvement.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 pm

JMP wrote:I don't believe a thing Omar Kelly says.  I think he does make stuff up - either that, or he just has really, really bad sources.  His "reporting" has become more and more fake news over the years.

There is a report that Miami was fielding(listening) to offers.  I don't think that you not listen.

JMP wrote:
Howard is seeing success, no doubt. But at what price to team chemistry? Like Howard the numbers are there. But are we actually improving.

As an outsider, to me it seems like team chemistry is as positive as I've ever seen with the Phins.  And the secondary has improved ENORMOUSLY this season.  The defense is #1 on 3rd down and near the top in fewest points per game.  I view Howard as a big part of that improvement.

I have no problem saying that the defense is improved with Howard.  The chemistry is there as far as the numbers go.  I just think that there is something that isn't being said.  For the life of me I couldn't tell you what that is.  I just think that these things just don't come out of nowhere.  It would be a shock to me if any part of this isn't true.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:I don't believe a thing Omar Kelly says.  I think he does make stuff up - either that, or he just has really, really bad sources.  His "reporting" has become more and more fake news over the years.

There is a report that Miami was fielding(listening) to offers.  I don't think that you not listen.

JMP wrote:

As an outsider, to me it seems like team chemistry is as positive as I've ever seen with the Phins.  And the secondary has improved ENORMOUSLY this season.  The defense is #1 on 3rd down and near the top in fewest points per game.  I view Howard as a big part of that improvement.

I have no problem saying that the defense is improved with Howard.  The chemistry is there as far as the numbers go.  I just think that there is something that isn't being said.  For the life of me I couldn't tell you what that is.  I just think that these things just don't come out of nowhere.  It would be a shock to me if any part of this isn't true.

I think teams inquired, and the Phins said no. It's that simple. I have seen no evidence that Howard is unhappy and there is an issue with team chemistry. This is all Omar Kelly trolling for a story. I can't imagine any scenario where the Dolphins would trade Howard during this season, while playoff hopes are alive. It wouldn't make any sense, not even for a 1st. The combo of Jones and Howard is THE reason the defense has played so well recently.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 am

The only way this makes sense would be if we got a Tunsil-caliber deal we could not refuse. With O'Brien fired, there's really no chance that happens.

Totally agree and that's why I was so alarmed seeing the story. We are 3-3, Bills are showing weakness, Patriots are a disaster, and the Jets are laughable. We have a legitimate chance to win this division. Now is NOT the time to trade away a pro bowl corner who's still in his prime.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:39 am

Omar is apparently sticking to his guns...

According a league source, the Dolphins are fielding offers for the Pro Bowl talent, who has pulled down four interceptions in the past four games, and 16 interceptions in the 39 games he’s played since the 2017 season.

The source said the Dolphins already have an offer on the table for Howard, and are seriously considering moving the 27-year-old before the NFL trade deadline, which is next Tuesday at 4 p.m.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dolphins-exploring-trade-offers-cornerback-203900859.html

notice that it says a "league source" not a DOLPHINS source. this could just be a rival team trying to sow the seeds of discontent in the Phins' locker room.

Miami would likely try to get at least a first-round pick — or something equivalent to it — for Howard before next Tuesday’s deadline, or a player of similar stature, like the New England Patriots’ Stephon Gilmore, a cornerback who is reportedly also on the trade block.

Gilmore thrived in New England with Flores as his defensive play-caller, and Flores has consistently praised the three-time Pro Bowler and the 2019 Defensive Player of the Year, as the type of defender he wants to build his secondary around.

granted. Flores has coveted Gilmore and made a play for him previously, but i just can't imagine that the Phins would upset the defensive backfield apple cart given how they've performed with both Jones and Howard healthy.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:52 am

This is a non-issue. The Dolphins are not looking to trade Howard.

Teams inquired - the Phins said no. End of story.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 pm

JMP wrote:This is a non-issue.  The Dolphins are not looking to trade Howard.

Teams inquired - the Phins said no.  End of story.

ill agree to disagree. IMHO, trading and fielding inquiries are 2 seperate "stories". As in my previous post, I would have been surprised if this was entirely false.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:This is a non-issue.  The Dolphins are not looking to trade Howard.

Teams inquired - the Phins said no.  End of story.

ill agree to disagree.  IMHO, trading and fielding inquiries are 2 seperate "stories".  As in my previous post, I would have been surprised if this was entirely false.

OK, agree to disagree! Cool I think there's zero chance that the Phins were shopping Howard in any way, but we'll never know for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 am

Cornerback Byron Jones said the team paid no attention to trade rumors involving cornerback Xavien Howard, calling it “outside noise” and that it hasn’t been a discussion in the locker room.

The Dolphins have received inquiries about Howard (who’s in the first year of a five-year, $75 million extension) but have publicly stated that they’re not exploring a trade. And Miami has not received any firm offer, according to a source with direct knowledge.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246788292.html

this should put the rumors to rest. no firm offer received. basically, teams called and asked if Howard was available, the Dolphins said, "NO!" and the conversation ended...and then Omar decided to embellish a story for clicks knowing it would get picked up nationally. notice how none of the national guys (Shefter, et al) ran with this. more Omar BS - end of story.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:47 am

I used to like Omar, but the last several years he's gotten worse and worse. I'm fine when he does his opinion pieces, even when I disagree, but whenever he has a "scoop" it's almost always BS fake news.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down