The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antonio Callaway not ready to play

5 posters

Go down

Antonio Callaway not ready to play Empty Antonio Callaway not ready to play

Post by JMP Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:34 am

I was hoping for big things from Callaway the second half of the season, but the Phins have demoted him back to the practice squad. Apparently he doesn't yet know the play book and isn't in game shape, so it is unlikely that he will contribute at all this season. That sucks!

Hopefully Bowden and Perry can bring some playmaking ability to the offense as we move forward.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Antonio Callaway not ready to play Empty Re: Antonio Callaway not ready to play

Post by finfanatic Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm

All that raw talent but the dude is just dumb, dumb, dumb.

At this point, I would not waste any more time on him. Get some dude with maybe less talent, but that is not just plain dumb.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 pm

I think it's fine to hold on to him for now. I would guess next offseason, he will be outperformed by our younger depth players. Maybe he will surprise, but I'm not counting on it.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:27 am

Miami is now adding a new option to the mix amid all the changes. It was announced last night that the Dolphins have signed former Chargers receiver Andre Patton to their practice squad.

https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-dolphins-sign-wr-andre-124606112.html

perhaps a little competition for Callaway.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:39 am

Patton is 6'2", 200 and ran a 4.4 40 at his Rutgers pro day a few years back. I don't know much more than that, but definitely seems like he's worth a look.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Funny that Flores denounced the "10 game audition story". I love the guy but in fairness to everyone in the NFL. There is a constant audition going on. The only thing that assures you anything is that your draft status gives you more time to adjust than others drafted later.

Callaway, Breida, Jordan Howard, and now Patton are all on auditions so to speak. The whole team is damn nearly on an audition. We need to see if you fit. We need to establish a culture and we need to see if you fit. Isn't that in itself an audition? Or an extended tryout? They can be cut anytime if things don't work out or they don't pass the audition.

The thing for me is, I like what they are doing. They are constantly upgrading or churning the bottom half of the roster to improve the top half. They arent just kicking the tires they are trying to find young, hungry, and talented players who just need a shot under the right coaches, the right system, and the right culture. Dont know much about Patton but I see Grier trying everything he can. Callaway and Patton does not bode well for Hurns and Wilson for sure.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Callaway and Patton does not bode well for Hurns and Wilson for sure.

I agree with your post but I might say the opposite for this group of players. Hurns and Wilson opted out due to the pandemic which is their right and individual choice based on family risk factors. This choice is highly personal. Based on talent and ability to make plays, both are a threat to guys like Callaway and Patton.

I will say that they both made a number of nice plays last season, with Wilson really coming on in December. IMO, Wilson is an excellent fit for what we're trying to do. He's a weapon where if you get the ball to him in space he can make one or more defenders miss and gain chunk yardage. Hurns may be more of a possession guy, my money would be on Wilson winning a job.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:33 pm

The fact of the matter is in 2021 he will be 29. Not old by any means but he is due 1.975/yr with a 5mil cap hit. The Dolphins have vastly improved the QB play although a small sample. They have found players like Bowden and Perry who have contributed while paying way less.

Not to sound callus, yes it was his personal choice to step away due to COVID-19. Yes the safety of his family takes precedence. I get it. But the season continued, and the Miami Dolphins needed to ensure that they had a team. So they found other players. Again I understand the difficult choice for Wilson. I respect it. But do you think Flores has loyalty for Wilson or an obligation to the other 53 who didn’t opt out? It’s tough but he had to do what he had to do and so did the Dolphins!

Don’t know why but I’m guessing there’s going to be some kind of relief from the cap hits for the guys that opted out. Just my feeling
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pm

And, just like that Callaway is back on the active roster for Sunday! scratch

As for Wilson and Hurns, there's zero chance they will be back. We could have used both guys this year for sure, but it is what it is. We have Bowden and Perry, and will almost certainly draft another 1-2 receivers in April. And who knows what happens with Callaway? I like them both, but no room for Wilson and Hurns at this point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 am

And, just like that Callaway is back on the active roster for Sunday!

I can only guess he had a very good day at practice yesterday. I know he has the talent, would be great to see him make a few plays against Denver!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm expecting big things from Perry as the season goes on. That dude has moves, and he's deadly in the open field. I watched the Jerome Baker 'mic'd up' video from the Chargers game, and he said something like "I told you you can't tackle that guy!" after one of Perry's plays.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm

For the life of me I don’t know why things weren’t as Rosie for Grant. Perry is a shifty type of guy with decent speed. But Grant is shifty in the open field with speed. I expect Grants role to be more expanded in the next few games. I think coordinators before missed judged his abilities. I like how he’s coming in and working to carve his role.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Grant seems to have chemistry with Tua, and I think his role will continue to expand. Definitely a lot of speed now with Grant and Perry, and whatever we get from Callaway.

I really hope Gailey starts using the backs more in the passing game...not sure why he hasn't so far. With Breida coming back, he gives us a speedy playmaker out of the backfield - could help solve some of the short yardage issues. And Perry can also serve in that role as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down