The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play"

5 posters

Go down

"Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play" Empty "Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play"

Post by JMP Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:05 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dolphins-offense-averages-8-yards-a-play-no-other-team-even-averages-6-yards-a-play

The Dolphins’ offense is playing at a completely different level than the rest of the NFL.

Through six games this season, the Dolphins have totaled 2,992 yards on 374 plays, an average of exactly 8.00 yards per play. No other team in the NFL is even close.

In second place in the yards per play ranking are the Bills and 49ers, both averaging 5.98 yards per play. The gap of over two yards per play between first place and second place is bigger than the difference between second place and last place (the Giants at 4.05 yards per play).

The Dolphins are first in the NFL in both yards per pass (9.2) and yards per run (6.5). They’re more than a full yard ahead of the second-place team in both categories.

The Dolphins have 15 passing touchdowns and 15 rushing touchdowns, both first in the NFL. They’re first in the NFL in first downs with 147.

Miami has 223 points this season; no other team is even at 185. By just about any measure, their offense is the best in the league. And no one else is close.

We are witnessing something special here, fellas. Let's enjoy the ride. cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

"Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play" Empty Re: "Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play"

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:26 am

Also, it's been literally a decade since any team has scored more points through the first 6 games than this one.

https://stathead.com/tiny/sjdMr

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

"Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play" Empty Re: "Dolphins’ offense averages 8 yards a play, no other team even averages 6 yards a play"

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:34 am

i'm sure the NFL rules committee if looking at what changes can be made to weaken the Dolphins' offense while simultaneously prop up everyone else.

from hence forth, it is a 42 yard penalty and forfeiture of 17 points for the illegal use of legal offensive motion for teams whose home stadium is located south of 27 degree latitude.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:36 am

mercury22nathan wrote:i'm sure the NFL rules committee if looking at what changes can be made to weaken the Dolphins' offense while simultaneously prop up everyone else.

from hence forth, it is a 42 yard penalty and forfeiture of 17 points for the illegal use of legal offensive motion for teams whose home stadium is located south of 27 degree latitude.  

Don't give them any ideas! affraid Seriously.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Don't give them any ideas! affraid Seriously.

you're absolutely right about that. i've already seen some of the lazier ESPN talking heads disparaging the Phins offense as "too Canadian League" with its motions and that the rules should be tightened up. of course i believe most of those morons were former Patriots and guys like Ryan Clark.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:02 am

Speaking of rules, there is talk that the league is FINALLY going to adjust the archaic 'ineligible man downfield' penalty to match the college rule. With so many teams running RPO plays, it's ridiculous that a lineman can only block one yard downfield. In college it's 3 yards, which makes much more sense to me.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and CarsonChris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:49 am

I do not think the NFL will make any rules that limit offense and scoring. They want teams to score more.

Expect to see copycats next year or heck, even this year. I was watching some game (or maybe a replay) and swear I saw a guy on the end of the line dart out like the motion the Dolphins are using.

But as one talking head stated when asked why more teams are not doing what Miami is doing on offense: "They don't have Tyreek Hill. They don't have the overall team speed the Dolphins do. You can duplicate the motions, but not the speed."

I am glad the Phins are setting records and all, but I want to see them do it against a team with a stout defense.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:10 pm

finfanatic wrote:

I am glad the Phins are setting records and all, but I want to see them do it against a team with a stout defense.

Of course, but the Dolphins can only play the teams on their schedule.

No offense in the league is doing what the Dolphins are, even against the same opponents.

I'm not saying the Giants' D is "stout", but they just held the Bills to 14 points in a nationally televised game in Buffalo. We scored 31 against that same Giants team the week before. And we scored 10 TDs against the Broncos - the Chiefs scored 1 in a nationally televised home game.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:26 am

The Buffalo loss is the only one that really sticks in my craw. They embarrassed us.

However, I hang that largely on the defense who had no answers for their offense. They did whatever they wanted running and passing. 21 points is close to a winning effort in most games, and we had another TD called back due to the Eich penalty.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:39 am

JMP wrote:I'm not saying the Giants' D is "stout", but they just held the Bills to 14 points in a nationally televised game in Buffalo. We scored 31 against that same Giants team the week before.  And we scored 10 TDs against the Broncos - the Chiefs scored 1 in a nationally televised home game.

The Giants D collected 3 turnovers VS the Fins and Wink Martindale is their DC, a coach I have respect for. They're doing their best considering the Giants' offensive woes, and seem to be getting better over time, with 5 takeaways the last 2 games after having none the first 4.

white1 wrote:The Buffalo loss is the only one that really sticks in my craw.  They embarrassed us.

However, I hang that largely on the defense who had no answers for their offense.  They did whatever they wanted running and passing.  21 points is close to a winning effort in most games, and we had another TD called back due to the Eich penalty.

The league scoring average is currently 21.7 so...yeah, that's about right Cool And yes, the way they lost that Bills game makes it impossible for me to predict a win over the Eagles OR Chiefs right now even though IMO both teams are extremely beatable.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:52 am

white1 wrote:The Buffalo loss is the only one that really sticks in my craw.  They embarrassed us.

However, I hang that largely on the defense who had no answers for their offense.  They did whatever they wanted running and passing.  21 points is close to a winning effort in most games, and we had another TD called back due to the Eich penalty.

That loss was just a total team fail, and yes it still pisses me off. On offense, we couldn't protect the QB and had a couple of turnovers and too many penalties. On defense, we couldn't cover Diggs, couldn't get to Allen and couldn't tackle.

Even with all that, we did more or less match them statistically - so in some respects, the game was closer than the score. We just made too many mistakes in all phases. I look forward to the matchup in week 18 - I suspect the results will be very different.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:06 pm

I look forward to the matchup in week 18 - I suspect the results will be very different.

Agree. Not only the continued evolution of Fangio new scheme and players, but also getting back talents like a healthy Phillips, and Jalen Ramsey in the secondary.

Having Williams at center for that game is huge as well. Eich stepped up against Carolina, but Williams has been superior - he has been grading out in both pass and run blocking, really very well.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:07 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The Giants D collected 3 turnovers VS the Fins and Wink Martindale is their DC, a coach I have respect for. They're doing their best considering the Giants' offensive woes, and seem to be getting better over time, with 5 takeaways the last 2 games after having none the first 4.

Giants 14 Redskins Football Team Commanders 7. Again, it's not who you play but when you play them. Giants D suddenly looks elite post-Fins. I toldja 'cause I'm a soulja Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:50 pm

And we finally faced a good D - and averaged about 5 yards a play.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:57 pm

JMP wrote:And we finally faced a good D - and averaged about 5 yards a play.

Everything Sunday went this team's way--except for the actual game. Should've saved some of those Denver points, that 70 burger has turned into an albatross. The 2023 Fins will be known as the team that scored 70 in a game and couldn't even make the playoffs! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down