The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Agency 2021 - news + rumors

+4
Degarmo
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Free Agency 2021 - news + rumors Empty Free Agency 2021 - news + rumors

Post by JMP Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:13 am

Since we have a draft thread, I figured we should have a free agent thread too.

Any free agents you guys are looking at?

Here's one I'll throw out there: Lions' WR Marvin Jones.  He's an older receiver (30 right now), but he's still performing at a high level and I think he can really help a young receiving corps.  I've always seen Jones as one of the more underrated players in the league.  Over the last two seasons he has 138 catches, 1757 yards and 18 TDs.  I think he'll be a lot cheaper than some other FA receivers (Golladay, Godwin, Smith-Schuster, Robinson, etc.) and he would be an excellent, reliable target for Tua.  Having a savvy veteran like Jones would be a huge boost for the offense.

I'd also be looking at another under-the-radar Lions player: DE Romeo Okwara.  He's a young guy (25) with good size (6'4", 265) and coming off a 10-sack season in a defense that is similar to what the Phins run. I doubt the Lions let him hit free agency, but I'd definitely give him strong consideration.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Free Agency 2021 - news + rumors Empty Re: Free Agency 2021 - news + rumors

Post by white1 Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:22 am

I'll take the DE.

Hopefully he's low enough on the radar he can't command huge dollars. Would be a great pickup and exactly the kind of player Grier and Flores have been signing. Young and not too expensive with proven ability.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm

white1 wrote:I'll take the DE.  

Hopefully he's low enough on the radar he can't command huge dollars.  Would be a great pickup and exactly the kind of player Grier and Flores have been signing.  Young and not too expensive with proven ability.

And the Packers center, he's the most important FA for this team now that we've made a deal. Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm

If we end up getting Matt Canada as the new OC, I think JuJu Smith-Schuster becomes a real possibility in free agency. Yes, his stupid dance moves are annoying as all hell...but the guy can play. He would give us an excellent target in the slot and can also play outside.

If we can add JuJu and draft Smith, combined with Parker and Williams, our WR corps suddenly looks pretty damn good.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Parker will only play 10 games max, so, I'd still look at replacing him.  Even if we have to trade him for a mid-to-lower pick and he goes on to better luck somewhere else, it seems like he's snake bit down here and, to use a hockey term, he might do better with a change of scenery.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Degarmo wrote:Parker will only play 10 games max, so, I'd still look at replacing him.  Even if we have to trade him for a mid-to-lower pick and he goes on to better luck somewhere else, it seems like he's snake bit down here and, to use a hockey term, he might do better with a change of scenery.

I definitely see your point, but I'd keep him for an another year at least. He's a good player when healthy and I don't want to blow up the entire position in one offseason. But - I wouldn't be totally against trading him, either.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:47 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Parker will only play 10 games max, so, I'd still look at replacing him.  Even if we have to trade him for a mid-to-lower pick and he goes on to better luck somewhere else, it seems like he's snake bit down here and, to use a hockey term, he might do better with a change of scenery.

I definitely see your point, but I'd keep him for an another year at least.  He's a good player when healthy and I don't want to blow up the entire position in one offseason.  But - I wouldn't be totally against trading him, either.

I agree, it really would depend on what we get back. But he still needs to be replaced in the offense as someone we rely on. You can't structure an offense around a receiver that is on the bench a lot.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:35 pm

Keep Parker another year. He's already got the contract. We'd trade him for the same reason people wouldn't want him. He is the only WR we have on this team that catches contested balls in the endzone. We need as many legitimate threats as possible. Once we get Smith we should be able to make some major improvements. If we get Harris, we should be really really in good shape
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

For what it's worth, PFF's early FA prediction has the Dolphins signing Allen Robinson, Aaron Jones and Le'Veon Bell.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:00 pm

I'll take A Robinson gladly!

But, why take two RBs when you can have a greater impact signing the pro-bowl Center from GB?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:09 pm

LEVEON BELL?!?! NO WAY, DUDE!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Maybe everyone thinks that center will be re-signed even with a reduced salary cap?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:38 pm

I don't think there's any chance that the Dolphins splurge for two mega-$ free agents. I can definitely see one, probably at receiver if all these guys really become available, but I don't think the Dolphins are looking to eat up a ton of future cap in these uncertain times. And - Aaron Jones is a beast, but there's just no value in a second-contract RB these days.

As for Bell, I'd say we dodged a bullet by missing out on him during the season - let's not make the mistake of signing him in the offseason. He looks like he's done to me...nothing more than a JAG at this point from what I see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:41 pm

Th WR's are only concern if they can really put together a great draft board. I think building through the draft is much better. Doubling down in the 1st round could be pretty good. Smith and Waddle or Bateman or Moore. We can keep the money and keep building.

Although i like Jones i think for this running game and scheme he'd just be another Breida. We should address the receiver issues through the draft. Address the OL issues through FA.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Don't get me wrong - I think we still draft a receiver in round 1 even if we do sign a free agent. The goal is to make Parker your #2 or 3 receiver, rather than #1.

I really like the idea of having another veteran receiver in that group. Assuming Golladay stays in Detroit, I would love to see Marvin Jones on the Phins...an unselfish player that works harder than anyone and has a good attitude - he'd be a great mentor for the young guys. And, draft Smith at 3 and maybe even another receiver late. Hang on to Wilson for the slot - at least through training camp to see what he's got and what Bowden/Perry look like. Make the position a strength...for real this time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:52 am

Kenny Golladay and Aaron Jones are both set to become free agents - not franchise tagged. My guess is both will get a lot more $$ than the Phins want to pay, but I bet we kick the tires on one or both.

The free agent I really want on the Phins is Ravens' LB Matt Judon. That dude was born to play in this defense. Unfortunately, I think he'll also want too much coin.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:08 am

I'm going to shoot from the hip, Miami signs Golladay and he plays 8-10 games. Grier loves injury prone players.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:27 pm

I really dont think Galladay. With the addition of Wilson, a questionable character guy, it isn't all that impossible that they target Smith Schuster. I think he's clearly as productive, if not more productive than those that are available.

He's of Samoan decent and it would be an instant connection.

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Umix10 wrote:I really dont think Galladay.  With the addition of Wilson, a questionable character guy,  it isn't all that impossible that they target Smith Schuster.  I think he's clearly as productive, if not more productive than those that are available.  

He's of Samoan decent and it would be an instant connection.

If money was no object, I'd sign Golladay in a heartbeat. He's one of those freak receivers with a rare combo of size and athleticism, and I think his best days are ahead of him. But it looks like he is the #1 FA WR, and as such is probably going to sign a contract worth close to $20 million a year. Keep an eye on the Jets...they may make a play for him.

Next on my list, if we are looking at signing a receiver: Juju. He would be an excellent addition - major upgrade at slot. I think he'll get some nice $$, but much less than Golladay. BUT...with all the potentially great slot receivers in the draft, I don't know that we need to spend a ton at the position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:03 am

The "tampering period" for free agency starts today. We should start hearing lots of rumors very soon. Here are some players I am interested in for Miami...

I'm not sure if the Phins are going to look at the high-priced guys, but if they do my #1 target would be Matt Judon (Ravens). I'm also keeping an eye on other edge players like Romeo Okwara (Lions), Bud Dupree (Steelers) Shaq Barrett (Bucs) and Trey Hendrickson (Saints).

At OL, of course Packers center Corey Linsley is tops on my list, along with Patriots' guard Joe Thuney (who is probably going to the Jets). Ravens' center Matt Skura is an interesting target and should be reasonably priced.

Not really a big enough need to justify the probable salary, but Giant's DT Dalvin Tomlinson is a player I've always liked. He has really come on strong the last two seasons.

Will the Phins look to change up the safety position? If so, John Johnson (Rams) is a helluva player.

A couple of intriguing WRs that have battled injuries but may take reasonable one-year prove-it deals: TY Hilton and Sammy Watkins. Other interesting receivers: Juju Smith-Schuster, Curtis Samuel, Nelson Agholor.

RB Marlon Mack is on track to be ready for training camp if not sooner after an Achilles tear. He might be a sneaky-good pick-up on a one-year prove-it deal. Patriots' excellent pass-catching back James White is also available.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 am

More names:
--Shelby Harris, Broncos DL
--Adam Butler, Patriots DL
--Deatrich Wise, Patriots DL
--Samson Ebukam, Rams OLB
--Jarrad Davis, Lions ILB
--Anthony Firkser, Titans TE/FB
--Jacoby Brissett, Colts QB
--Tyrod Taylor, Chargers QB
--Brian Hoyer, Patriots QB (he's old, but is more of a player/coach at this point)
--Matt Barkley, Bills QB
--Marvin Jones, Lions WR
--Damiere Byrd, Patriots WR
--Demarcus Robinson, Chiefs WR

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:02 am

Totally missed that Patriots center David Andrews is a FA...add him to the list too.

The Titans are going to let WR Corey Davis walk. I'm not really a fan, but he is coming off his best season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:20 am

Give me Linsley at C!

Not crazy about signing a WR... but if we must, I'm happy with either Curtis Samuel or Agholor.

Pass rusher is going to be interesting. Clearly, we created a roster spot and are targeting someone, the question is who? Could it be Haasan Reddick out of AZ? Maybe its Shaq Barrett?

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Lions re-signed Romeo Okwara. 3 years, $39 million.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:33 pm

Bucs re-signed Shaq Barrett. 4 years, $72 million.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:26 pm

Pats to sign former Phin Davon Godchaux and former Titan TE Jonnu Smith.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next