The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Brady

+4
DolFan 316
Degarmo
JMP
CarsonChris
8 posters

Go down

Tom Brady Empty Tom Brady

Post by CarsonChris Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm

It's time to watch Tom lead another team to the Super Bowl. What attribute does Tom have that he keeps advancing to championship games? His arm is average now. Is it just his awareness and pre snap read?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Tom Brady Empty Re: Tom Brady

Post by JMP Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:30 pm

I think preparation above all. He is in fantastic shape and he spends tons of time watching film and mastering the offense. And on the field, there's no one better at feeling pressure and moving within the pocket or reading a defense, and his ball placement is still off-the-charts good. I don't like the guy but he truly is the best ever.

But - I think the Chiefs win Sunday. I don't trust the Tampa Bay defense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:58 pm

It's because he is evil, and evil is stronger than good.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Degarmo wrote:It's because he is evil, and evil is stronger than good.

Does anyone know if Degarmo is alright or did 316 eat him before posting from Degarmo's computer?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:58 am

Degarmo is too big for me to eat. If anything it would be the other way around Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:14 am

Hey, I'm just calling balls and strikes Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 am

Brady with another big game and his 7th Super Bowl victory. The guy is unreal.

I sure was wrong about this one...I expected a back-and-forth shootout with the Chiefs pulling ahead in the 4th quarter. The Chiefs looked like garbage - the patchwork OL sucked and the defense was terrible. And the Bucs got a lot of home cooking from the refs with some really bad calls against the Chiefs. Overall, one of the worst Super Bowls in recent memory - just a boring game, especially the second half.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:07 am

I heard from multiple people last night that the officiating was...a bit one-sided. People saying the game was rigged to make sure Brady beat out Michael Jordan for most titles by any individual pro athlete.

Whatever the case, I've decided to call this a Big Lipped Alligator moment, never speak of it again, and move on with my life. Best way to cope, I think. I feel like I gained 10 IQ points just from refusing to watch a second of it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigLippedAlligatorMoment

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:47 am

There were some bad calls, but hey, there was a glaringly bad call in Super Bowl XIX, another 22 point loss I wish had gone the other way. But one bad call or two doesn't explain a 22 point deficit.

The Chiefs missing Fisher was very significant, and Todd Bowles (who I always thought deserved more credit, and a fair shake at getting the job here instead of Philbin in 2011) took advantage. Bucs were simply the better team.

And yes, Brady is the best QB of all time. No question about it now.

I think the future is bright here still. We don't have an immovable force in front of us, either in the division or the conference. Tua has a Brady-like attitude in his quest to become the best QB he can be, and we have a coach who knows what he is doing.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:01 am

I'm saying this right now. The officiating erred on the side of caution especially in the 2nd half when I saw TB defensive lineman getting tackled to prevent another sack. Also, KC DB's had busier hands than Joe Biden around pre-teen girls.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 am

CarsonChris wrote:KC DB's had busier hands than Joe Biden around pre-teen girls.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 am

HalCHorn wrote:There were some bad calls, but hey, there was a glaringly bad call in Super Bowl XIX, another 22 point loss I wish had gone the other way.  But one bad call or two doesn't explain a 22 point deficit.

The Chiefs missing Fisher was very significant, and Todd Bowles (who I always thought deserved more credit, and a fair shake at getting the job here instead of Philbin in 2011) took advantage.  Bucs were simply the better team.

And yes, Brady is the best QB of all time.  No question about it now.

I think the future is bright here still.  We don't have an immovable force in front of us, either in the division or the conference.  Tua has a Brady-like attitude in his quest to become the best QB he can be, and we have a coach who knows what he is doing.  

Bowles really called a fantastic game for the Bucs' D. It was certainly easier for him facing a bunch of backup O-linemen, but still - an excellent gameplan and he was able to get pressure without blitzing. The Tampa Bay LBs are just so good...White and David are a really great duo.

But yes, I thought the same thing after the game, Hal: the AFC is really wide open at this point. There's a bunch of good teams, but the Chiefs are the best of the bunch and they certainly aren't invincible. Let's hope the Phins can take advantage!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:40 pm

I will say one more thing. It would be in the best interest of the AFC for the Fins to reach the next Super Bowl, because they are literally the only team that can stop Brady from winning yet another ring. It's painfully obvious nobody else is up to the job.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:48 pm

SICKENING!!! DISGUSTING!!! UTTERLY NAUSEATING!!!

Okay NOW I'll move on.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 pm

The discrepancy in the way penalties are called for teams Brady is on vs. teams Brady is against is just staggering. It can't be coincidence. Someone on NFLN was talking about it today, and I wish I took notes. He was pointing out some of the big games Brady has played in, and how the Pats/Bucs would have like 2 or 3 penalties, and there opponents would have 9 or 10. Of course, we've all seen this for years - but to hear it laid out game by game was really eye-opening. If I have time later I'll try to look up some postseason games Brady played in and post the penalty numbers.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:29 am

the unsportsman-like penalty on Mathieu was especially egregious. the 2 had words after the play and the Honey Badger walked away. Brady chased him down to continue the back-and forth jawing...and Tyrann got the flag and first warning for an ejection. why no offsetting as is typically done in those situations?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 am

mercury22nathan wrote:the unsportsman-like penalty on Mathieu was especially egregious.  the 2 had words after the play and the Honey Badger walked away.  Brady chased him down to continue the back-and forth jawing...and Tyrann got the flag and first warning for an ejection.  why no offsetting as is typically done in those situations?

That one was really absurd. Totally blatant.

Penalties in Brady's last 5 Super Bowl appearances:
2020 Super Bowl - Bucs 4, Chiefs 11
2018 Super Bowl – Pats 3, Rams 9
2017 Super Bowl – Pats 1, Eagles 6
2016 Super Bowl – Pats 4, Falcons 9
2014 Super Bowl – Pats 5, Seahawks 7

Now, I know the Pats are a well-disciplined team...but it seems hard to believe that every one of these games would be so one-sided with penalties. It does make you wonder. scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:52 am

HalCHorn wrote:And yes, Brady is the best QB of all time.  No question about it now.

is he great? yes. has he won the most SBs as the starter? yes. is the all-time greatest QB? not in my opinion. i view super bowl victories as team accomplishments beyond a single player. the SB winning perfect team is the embodiment of this notion. Griese/Morrall were a large part of it, but not all of it. i'd give McGinest and Brushi more credit for NE's early super bowls - as the Buc's defense was the real MVP of this game. if we use SBs as the measuring stick... is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Marino because he has a ring? are Terry Bradshaw and Eli Manning better because they have a perfect SB winning record? And Eli is a 2-0 against Brady in those games.

i don't even consider him the greatest of his generation. i'd give the nod to both Peyton Manning and Drew Brees over Brady as an individual QB. i ask myself this... all other things on a team being equal, if i had to pick a QB to lead a team through a season, who is the QB i would pick? Brady is certainly in the conversation, but i just can't see myself taking him over Manning, Brees, Elway, Staubach, Marino, etc...

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:17 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:And yes, Brady is the best QB of all time.  No question about it now.

is he great?  yes.  has he won the most SBs as the starter?  yes.  is the all-time greatest QB?  not in my opinion.  i view super bowl victories as team accomplishments beyond a single player.  the SB winning perfect team is the embodiment of this notion.  Griese/Morrall were a large part of it, but not all of it.  i'd give McGinest and Brushi more credit for NE's early super bowls - as the Buc's defense was the real MVP of this game.  if we use SBs as the measuring stick...  is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Marino because he has a ring?  are Terry Bradshaw and Eli Manning better because they have a perfect SB winning record?  And Eli is a 2-0 against Brady in those games.

i don't even consider him the greatest of his generation.  i'd give the nod to both Peyton Manning and Drew Brees over Brady as an individual QB.  i ask myself this...  all other things on a team being equal, if i had to pick a QB to lead a team through a season, who is the QB i would pick?  Brady is certainly in the conversation, but i just can't see myself taking him over Manning, Brees, Elway, Staubach, Marino, etc...

Well, I waited until the evidence was overwhelming. i'd say it is now.

Manning was a bus driver for his second ring. He and Brady are the only two to get the job done with two teams in the SB era, and Brady was carrying more of the load for his second team by far than Manning was in 2015.

Brees might well have made good head to head with Brady if not for a bad PI call in the 2018 playoffs. BUT...what everyone forgets: Brees had another chance in OT, and made key mistakes. The Saints still could have won that game after the bad call, but didn't get it done.

Rodgers, likewise, had his chances head to head, and at home, two weeks ago. Didn't get it done.

Brady did have the advantage of playing in an era with liberalized passing rules. So many past QB's would have killed it in this era. But still, he's won more SB's than anyone else has been to, and was the dominant player on the field for 5 of those 7 (obviously he was more of a bus driver in 2001 and 2018).

I can't deny him the nod any longer. Kills me to say it, but he's the best of all time. His 3 losses were very close games too....we could easily be talking about TEN Super Bowl rings.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:53 pm

While I agree that the Super Bowl is a team accomplishment, the dude now has SEVEN rings. That's no joke. Trent Dilfer getting 1 ring is an aberration - Brady winning 7 is a pattern. With an important game on the line, I can't think of any other QB I'd rather have to get me the win. Brady just wins - period. And he won a lot of those Super Bowls with no-name talent on offense.

Now, you can certainly argue that the Bucs bought a Super Bowl this season by signing a million free agents - but that strategy has never worked in the NFL, and wouldn't have this time if not for their biggest signing: Tom Brady.

I wish it wasn't the case, but Brady is amazing and he is the GOAT. The whole penalty issue I brought up is a bad look for the NFL, but doesn't take away from what Brady has accomplished.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:42 pm

2020 Super Bowl - Bucs 4, Chiefs 11
2018 Super Bowl – Pats 3, Rams 9
2017 Super Bowl – Pats 1, Eagles 6
2016 Super Bowl – Pats 4, Falcons 9
2014 Super Bowl – Pats 5, Seahawks 7

Interesting penalty list. Especially since Pats - Seahawks vs very close. In that game, Seattle wins it if Carroll chooses to hand to Lynch who literally could not be stopped. Instead the fateful passing play and game sealing INT.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm

There was a joke going around after Seattle botched/handed that victory to the Pats.

The Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll was part of a charity event at Jack In the Box today where he worked at the drive-thru window. One man reported when he got to the window Carroll said to him, "You want me to hand you this bag, or should I drop back 5 yards and throw it for no apparent reason?"

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I have to assume Andy Reid felt like they could not run the ball when the TB Safeties were 10-11 yards deep?

And where was all that goggle-eye inducing motion they used on the Bills? 17 rushes in 69 plays??? Versus that deep drop?
Still, the way TB's D-line played, it might not have mattered.

The KC game plan seemed to be to line up and go deep to Hill?

The jury-rigged O-line struggled mightily and whatever they did to Mahommes toe didn't seem to help. He was not as nimble as he usually is.

And I agree with whomever said it: KC's DBs were mugging guys! They could have gotten called for a lot more than they did IMO.

Tom Terrific is the GOAT.

Just wait ten or so years and we can argue about is Tua the GOAT too!!!

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:00 pm

The Chiefs can't run the ball well even in ideal conditions, but playing from behind with an OL full of backups...well, running the ball wasn't gonna happen. I agree that they should've at least tried to run more, but I don't think it would've mattered.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down