The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson

+5
mercury22nathan
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson Empty Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson

Post by JMP Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/3/8/22320522/miami-dolphins-trade-with-titans-for-2020-nfl-first-round-draft-pick-isaiah-wilson

..the Dolphins are making a pretty big move to acquire one of the 2020’s top offensive lineman. An offensive lineman that many draft pundits and experts felt very highly of heading into last April’s draft.

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Miami Dolphins have completed a trade with the Tennessee Titans to acquire the 2020 first-round pick, Isaiah Wilson.

UPDATE: Three Yard Per Carry’s Simon Clancy reports that the Dolphins traded their 2021 7th-round pick in exchange for Tennessee’s 7th-rounder in 2022.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Arrested for DUI in September, played only four snaps last season and has had maturity issues. Last month tweeted that he's "done with football as Titan" but then deleted tweet. But talented young RT.

The 22-year-old Brooklyn native will now look to start fresh with the Dolphins.

Here’s what NFL.com’s Lance had to say about Isaiah Wilson before the 2020 NFL draft.

"Big, broad right tackle prospect with outstanding physical traits and above-average potential. Wilson’s play was a bit uneven depending on his matchup, but his level of play showed improvement in-season. He’s a little inconsistent hitting his landmarks as a zone blocker but should fit nicely into a man-based blocking scheme. A potential lack of range in pass protection could lead to over-sets and subsequent troubles with inside counters. Wilson has elite size and length. There’s buzz surrounding his NFL projection, but early work might be needed for both his footwork and technique in order to play with desired consistency as a starter."

If you recall, I had the Phins taking Wilson in my mock draft last season, so I am absolutely excited to have him in Miami.  And we got him for essentially nothing. A classic low risk, high reward move.

I doubt Wilson will be a starter anytime soon, but I bet he's an immediate contributor in short-yardage and goal-line run situations.  Plus, it's never a bad thing to have an absolutely GINORMOUS right tackle to groom for the future.  6'7", 350, plays with a nasty streak, an absolute mauler.  He was a teammate of Solomon Kindley at Georgia, so hopefully Kindley can help him get his head on straight.

Love this trade - getting a former first rounder for nothing, at a position of need.  cheers

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson Empty Re: Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson

Post by JMP Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:27 pm

Wilson is from Brooklyn, NY and went to the same high school that Coach Flores attended! Coach Flo is going to try to turn this kid's life around, no doubt!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson Empty Re: Phins trade for young Titans RT Isaiah Wilson

Post by HalCHorn Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 pm

All about getting his head on straight, since the talent is there. Worth a try.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Bleh. Feh. Meh. If a first rounder is traded for a 7th just a year later there's something SEVERELY wrong with the guy. Wilson has a far better chance of being arrested for something absurd in the next few months than actually making the team.

I feel very foolish for actually wanting him and being angry the Titans took him one pick before Miami. My famous Bust Meter was apparently broken that night. Then again I hated the Iggywhatever pick, so...

It could be worse. They could've spent a 5th to get him just so he could break into a woman's apartment and watch her sleep. So there's that at least.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 pm

Also, I suppose this means they're not drafting Sewell or Slater now at #3, which is actually a good thing.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 pm

😂😂😂 I guess the culture around Miami can be variable depending on the day.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 am

CarsonChris wrote:😂😂😂 I guess the culture around Miami can be variable depending on the day.

On this I can agree with you.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:04 am

CarsonChris wrote:😂😂😂 I guess the culture around Miami can be variable depending on the day.

Nope, not at all. You said it yourself: the Dolphins are willing to give second chances if the situation is right. Adding a former first round pick for absolutely nothing at a minimal salary is worth the risk. Using the #3 overall pick on a guy with character issues is not.

If Wilson doesn't straighten out, he gets cut and the Dolphins lose absolutely nothing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:04 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Bleh. Feh. Meh. If a first rounder is traded for a 7th just a year later there's something SEVERELY wrong with the guy. Wilson has a far better chance of being arrested for something absurd in the next few months than actually making the team.

I feel very foolish for actually wanting him and being angry the Titans took him one pick before Miami. My famous Bust Meter was apparently broken that night. Then again I hated the Iggywhatever pick, so...

It could be worse. They could've spent a 5th to get him just so he could break into a woman's apartment and watch her sleep. So there's that at least.

The Phins are taking a flyer on him...it costs nothing to kick the tires and see what they have. If he continues to be a "problem child", they cut him and lose nothing. It's a no brainer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 am

considering they gave up a mere pittance to take a chance on a guy with 1st round talent, i perfectly fine with the move.

i had (have) concerns with his mobility (especially ability to effectively kick slide) on the edge against NFL rushers. i think he is an excellent candidate to move inside to OG in a power man running scheme. i'm thinking he can compete to push (and perhaps eventually replace) Flowers.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:09 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Also, I suppose this means they're not drafting Sewell or Slater now at #3, which is actually a good thing.

I don't see how this move has anything at all to do with Sewell. At this point, Wilson is a huge question mark. If the Phins want Sewell, they'll draft him regardless of adding Wilson for nothing. I don't think Sewell will be the pick, but this trade won't prevent it from happening if that's their target.

As for Slater, I don't think he's someone the Dolphins will be interested in. Too many other high-end guards and centers in this class that are arguably better...no need to use a first rounder on the position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:13 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
i had (have) concerns with his mobility (especially ability to effectively kick slide) on the edge against NFL rushers.  i think he is an excellent candidate to move inside to OG in a power man running scheme.  i'm thinking he can compete to push (and perhaps eventually replace) Flowers.

Yep, Wilson is more of a straight-ahead people-mover. I think his best position could be RG. A right side with Wilson and Hunt would be serious BEEF...two behemoth BMNSOBs!

One thing is for sure: the Dolphins love HUGE lineman, and I think running the ball is going to be a priority.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 am

Some details on the money for Wilson...very cap-friendly:

Wilson’s time in Miami comes with the following scheduled salaries according to Spotrac:

2021: $1,135,836
2022: $1,661,672
2023: $2,187,508

Of those salary cap hits, Wilson’s 2021 & 2022 salaries are fully guaranteed. $1.09M of his 2023 salary is also guaranteed; meaning Miami is on the hook for a grand total of $5,384,606 in salary over the next three years (with just under $4M of that as guaranteed money. That’s certainly not minimum salary, but it is an easy number for Miami to chew on given the marginal dollar amounts and Wilson’s mammoth upside as a run blocker.

If the Dolphins were to cut ties with Wilson, they’d owe zero against the cap in dead money in any trade scenario. If the Dolphins cut Wilson ahead of the 2021 season, they’d owe the full $5,384,606 in dead cap. Alternatively, if Wilson flops in Miami and the Dolphins part ways next offseason, the team would be responsible for $2,755,426 — a marginal figure in the grand scheme of things.

So expect Isaiah Wilson to be on the Dolphins’ roster in 2021 no matter what — that’s a cost the team signed up for by opting to trade for Wilson instead of hoping to secure him on the waiver wire or via free agency if the Titans opted to cut him. And with the cost of such business being financing a 7th-round draft selection for 12 months and less than $1.2M for the year, the Dolphins seem to be playing a sound risk versus reward proposition.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/09/what-are-financial-implications-of-dolphins-trade-for-isaiah-wilson/

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 am

The only thing that makes me nervous about this kind of move is tying up a roster spot with a very high-risk character player. It's difficult to envision how the team prepares a plan for a player that is a huge unknown. I mean, can you really pencil him in as a starter? What if you're counting on him as a backup then he's suddenly unavailable due to a new arrest or something?

I'm sure it can be managed. But yes, I'd much rather have one of the known quantities - Lindley or Andrews at C, or Sewell / Slater in the draft. Guys you can count on to start without the character issues.

Anyways. Worth the risk, I guess, but crossing my fingers it works for us.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:58 am

white1 wrote:The only thing that makes me nervous about this kind of move is tying up a roster spot with a very high-risk character player.  It's difficult to envision how the team prepares a plan for a player that is a huge unknown.  I mean, can you really pencil him in as a starter? What if you're counting on him as a backup then he's suddenly unavailable due to a new arrest or something?

I'm sure it can be managed.  But yes, I'd much rather have one of the known quantities - Lindley or Andrews at C, or Sewell / Slater in the draft.  Guys you can count on to start without the character issues.

Anyways.  Worth the risk, I guess, but crossing my fingers it works for us.

I'm definitely not looking at Wilson as a day-one starter. As I said, assuming he makes it through camp I think he begins as the extra lineman in our "big" package with 6 OL, for short-yardage situations. And we go from there.

The good news is, with a minimal salary adding Wilson has absolutely no impact on adding additional linemen in the draft or free agency.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:28 pm

Let's not worry about this giant tub of lard. Micah Parsons will beat his ass if he doesn't fall in line!

Micah at 3😂😂😂

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:18 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Let's not worry about this giant tub of lard. Micah Parsons will beat his ass if he doesn't fall in line!

Micah at 3😂😂😂

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:23 pm

I believe that Flores is just the type of character coach that Wilson needs. I think he'll amaze us and at the least fall in line with what the coach is trying to do.

I don't think Parsons is at 3. I still think the best move is to trade back. I was so sure that Smith is the pick but at this point I really like waddle if we trade back. Harris at 18.
Umix10
Umix10

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Umix10 wrote:I believe that Flores is just the type of character coach that Wilson needs.  I think he'll amaze us and at the least fall in line with what the coach is trying to do.  

I don't think Parsons is at 3.  I still think the best move is to trade back.  I was so sure that Smith is the pick but at this point I really like waddle if we trade back.  Harris at 18.  

From what I'm hearing, Wilson wasn't a problem at all at Georgia. So maybe the change of scenery, and being coached by a fellow New Yorker, will be just what he needs.

And yes - trading back is the way to go. Absolutely, 100%. In fact, I will be disappointed if we don't trade back. Unfortunately picking at 3 kinda sucks this year, but hopefully one of those QB-hungry teams falls in love with a QB and makes the move to get their guy. There's a good chance we can trade back and still get Smith or even Pitts.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 pm

I have just one name for all you "this is a great move, 1st round talent, no risk" guys: Dimitrius Underwood!

There IS a reason the Titans let him go.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:21 pm

finfanatic wrote:I have just one name for all you "this is a great move, 1st round talent, no risk" guys: Dimitrius Underwood!

There IS a reason the Titans let him go.

Signing Underwood was a no risk move. But his situation is in no way comparable to Wilson. Underwood had SERIOUS mental health issues...Wilson doesn't. Wilson is a kid with immaturity issues. Huge difference.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:22 am

The point was looking at talent-level ONLY and assuming everything else is going to be best case scenario just never seems to work out IMO. Be it immaturity, mental issues, or even a diva-personality disorder.

Here's list of Wilson's issues....
https://atozsportsnashville.com/tennessee-titans-isaiah-wilsons-long-list-of-off-the-field-issues/

It could be immature, or he could now just have enough money in his pocket for his "issues" to come to light.

I can understand a team giving a second chance, but they did try this same thing with repeat-dingbat Antonio Callaway, so there seems to be a pattern emerging.
A pattern where the team wastes time and resources trying to recycle problem players. JJ tired it and I think everyone of his attempts failed miserably.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm

finfanatic wrote:The point was looking at talent-level ONLY and assuming everything else is going to be best case scenario just never seems to work out IMO. Be it immaturity, mental issues, or even a diva-personality disorder.

Here's list of Wilson's issues....
https://atozsportsnashville.com/tennessee-titans-isaiah-wilsons-long-list-of-off-the-field-issues/

It could be immature, or he could now just have enough money in his pocket for his "issues" to come to light.

I can understand a team giving a second chance, but they did try this same thing with repeat-dingbat Antonio Callaway, so there seems to be a pattern emerging.
A pattern where the team wastes time and resources trying to recycle problem players. JJ tired it and I think everyone of his attempts failed miserably.

But no one is "assuming everything else is going to be best case scenario". Signing Wilson might work out, it might not - no one knows. That's the point - the team gave up almost nothing for him and the monetary commitment is minimal, so if it doesn't work out he gets cut and no harm done. The team feels that there is enough meat on the bone with Wilson to try and develop him, so why not give it a shot?

What was the downside of signing Callaway, or Mark Walton? What resources were wasted? We took a flyer, it didn't work out, we moved on, and it cost essentially nothing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:46 pm

This is a good move. Coach Flo isn't the kind to kibbutz with a pile of shit. If the guy isn't worth it, he's gone, quickly, BUT, if the coach can turn the kid around, or maybe just get him to see that you don't get a lot of second chances, we may have gotten a real steal. Either way, it's worth the risk. This also builds confidence in players for the future. If they see that a coach will give them a chance, some guys will jump on that opportunity and run through a wall for the coach. That's what we want around here.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:05 am

This fat tub of lard just cost us a seventh round pick. I doubt he makes it through training camp. Grier needs more picks because he throws so many away on bad players. It's a terrible move. Next will be the rush to sign injury prone FA. I'm convinced Grier signs and picks players he can later blame for team failure.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next