The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson!

+3
finskev
white1
JMP
7 posters

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson! Empty BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson!

Post by JMP Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:13 pm

Phins get Wilson for a 5th!

Love this trade...he knows the offense and will be an upgrade over what we had in Edmonds. Averaging 5.1 ypc this season.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson! Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson!

Post by white1 Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:35 pm

Friend of mine at work big Phins fan. He thinks Wilson will win the starting job from Mostert! If that's the case... big upgrade!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson! Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Phins trade for 49ers RB Jeff Wilson!

Post by finskev Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:04 pm

Plus He Runs with Power which this Offense needs Desperately. Need to Find out How many Picks We have Left in 2023 Draft.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:44 pm

Wilson is having an excellent season. Really gives the Phins a nice 1-2 punch.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:21 pm

SO...Edmunds will be benched, then? It's the only way this trade makes sense.

I will say this seems to be great insurance for when (not if, but when) Mostert gets hurt yet again.

Better than using that 5th for someone who spends all season in the inactive list, anyway.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:22 pm

Edmonds is gone in the Chubb trade

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:23 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Edmonds is gone in the Chubb trade

Yeah, I'm reading these threads in ascending order and just now found out. That makes this trade completely worth it cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:42 pm

The coaches tried to make it work, but in the end Edmonds simply wasn't a fit for the offense, and on top of that he got case of the yips as a pass catcher. I still think he's a good player, but going to Denver isn't a great situation for him either.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:39 pm

so the Phins had been working on this deal...

Talks with the Dolphins commenced approximately a week ago, Lynch said, but initial offers were not enough to compensate for how valuable Wilson was to the 49ers. Just before the NFL trade deadline, Dolphins general manager Chris Grier made an offer that Lynch couldn’t refuse.

Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan had agreed that a fifth-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft was the line the two had drawn in the sand as far as appropriate compensation for Wilson. On Tuesday, Grier called and made the offer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/49ers-emotional-jeff-wilson-jr-230052503.html

which tells me they recognized Edmunds just wasn't working out and rather than just sitting pat, they decided to do something about it. i think this will improve the short-yardage game. remember going for it with Edmunds (and not getting it) on 4th (and 3rd too) in the redzone against the Steelers - Jeff Wilson gets those yards.

but this also tells me the team doesn't trust either Gaskins or Ahmed to get any significant playing time barring some sort of injury.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:59 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:...but this also tells me the team doesn't trust either Gaskins or Ahmed to get any significant playing time barring some sort of injury.

Exactly my thinking. No doubt Wilson is an upgrade over Edmonds. But McDaniel must not have ANY use for Gaskin and we saw Ahmed for one or two plays vs the Lions I think??

I think I would have kept Zaquandre White instead of Gaskin or Ahmed. A bigger back with power and speed.

Anyway, let's hope this works out and the running game starts to work more and more. That and a consistent pass rush would push this Phins team into legitimate playoff contention IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Zaquandre White couldn't even make it on the practice squad...he clearly wasn't an answer.

Having two experienced backs like Gaskin and Ahmed on the bench is a good thing. They are both versatile backs and can pitch in when needed.

Wilson is going to be a really big addition to this offense. He knows the system and fits exactly what McDaniel wants to do. I wish he was more of a pass catcher, but he will no doubt make the run game better.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:10 am

JMP wrote:I wish he was more of a pass catcher, but he will no doubt make the run game better.

now this does raise a good question. with all the downfield pressure that Hill and Waddle put on defense, that should be making space for some throws underneath to RBs - something that i thought would be a good portion of McDaniels' offense. perhaps with Edmunds drops that was something the playcallers were shying away from. you know, Gaskins had 41 and 49 catches in '20 and '21 respective and had an excellent catch/target percentage (nearly 90% in '20). now that Edmunds is gone and with Wilson focusing on the tough yards, could pass catching back lead to a role for Gaskins? does anyone remember how his pass blocking was?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:13 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:I wish he was more of a pass catcher, but he will no doubt make the run game better.

now this does raise a good question.  with all the downfield pressure that Hill and Waddle put on defense, that should be making space for some throws underneath to RBs - something that i thought would be a good portion of McDaniels' offense.  perhaps with Edmunds drops that was something the playcallers were shying away from.  you know, Gaskins had 41 and 49 catches in '20 and '21 respective and had an excellent catch/target percentage (nearly 90% in '20).  now that Edmunds is gone and with Wilson focusing on the tough yards, could pass catching back lead to a role for Gaskins?  does anyone remember how his pass blocking was?

I'd love to see the backs get more involved as pass catchers...add another dimension to the passing game and give Tua an outlet when the OL breaks down.

I thought Gaskin was very good in pass pro early in his career - but was not very good at it last season. I tend to chalk up every offensive problem last year to coaching, so my guess is that Gaskin can be good in pass pro again with this current team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:24 am

I guess if you have the dynamic duo, you don't need the RBs to catch passes??

I HOPE McDaniel is saving it for when they face a team with a fearsome pass rush, but...

I thought Edmonds was gonna be the pass catcher at RB but that ended when he started "dropping it like it's hot!!!"
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down