The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is....

+2
DolFan 316
finfanatic
6 posters

Go down

GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is.... Empty GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is....

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:12 am

Here is an article ranking GMs....

GM RANKINGS

And no surprise, Grier is #16 overall. About the middle of the pack.

His best pick was Tunsil. And he got him ONLY because the bongmask bandit fell after the video was released.

Worst pick - Charles Harris - which is made so much worse because T J Watt was right there at the same position!!!

Grier has held the GM title since 2016, but Mike Tannenbaum was above him (VP of football operations) until 2019. I decided to evaluate the draft choices since Grier got the GM title, when his tenure started with a bang in a trade down with Philadelphia that wound up with the Dolphins taking Laremy Tunsil at No. 13 overall. (They took All-Pro Xavien Howard in the second round.) The Dolphins' drafts have been uneven since, but the Tunsil trade in 2019 -- the centerpiece of the team's rebuilding project -- continues to reap dividends. Now we just have to see if any of the five first-round picks and four second-rounders between 2020 and '21 produce any players as good as Tunsil or Minkah Fitzpatrick, who was dealt to Pittsburgh.

So, the best two players Grier has picked, Tunsil and Minkah, are no longer on the team??

I begin to see why some are disenchanted with Grier as GM. Getting GOOD players instead of GREAT players will get you ranked #16.

While every GM that does the draft for any length o time will have his share of stinkers, at some point, one or two of the 1st rounder SHOULD be GREAT PLAYERS.

Unless you are doing something wrong IMHO. THIS DRAFT will tell the tale. If he blows this one, the die is cast.

Shocked
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is.... Empty Re: GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is....

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:21 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again--any 13-year old Madden player could've made the trades Grier has. There's a cottage industry on Youtube of people doing exactly that every day.

But at some point those players have to be taken with those picks and they have to be good ones and well, Grier doesn't excel so much in that area. I'm not even that impressed with last year's draft and IMO at least two of the three first rounders already seem like busts to me.

If he doesn't take Smith or Pitts at #6 and goes O-line instead...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is.... Empty Re: GM rankings - No Surprise Grier is....

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 am

BTW it sure is amazing how much better the Colts and Titans got after they fired incompetent GMs and hired guys who actually knew what they were doing.

Seeing Jerry Freaking Jones at #8 however, is flat out disgusting Evil or Very Mad And even *I* wouldn't put Duke Tobin and Les Snead ahead of Grier. At least Belichick's at 18 now that people are finally starting to notice that the Pats really haven't drafted that well at all over the past 5-10 years.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:48 am

I'd take these rankings with a grain of salt. Remember, they consistently ranked Wanny as a top 10 NFL coach in the early 2000s and talking head after talking head kept trying to gaslight us into thinking so.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:22 pm

You really can't count what Grier did before Flores, because he wasn't in charge. What he's done since then is put together a highly competitive roster and gain enough ammo to now start to add playmakers. He has a clear vision, and it began with rebuilding the locker room and the trenches. Now, he is in a position to start filling holes with impact players.

There's a reason Grier was in the running for GM of the year in 2020, and if the Phins win a playoff game this season there's a chance he wins it in 2021. Everyone wants a quick solution, but Grier is building a team that is in it for the long haul.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:58 pm

I would say there's more than enough proof by now that this team is competitive almost entirely due to Flores. First, he took a roster that by rights should've gone 0-16 and somehow squeezed 5 wins out of them. Then last season he doubled the win total with very little help from the draft, and nobody except Howard having a good, let alone great season. According to PFR not a single player last season besides Howard had an AV in the double digits (Fitz would have if he'd played more than half the games) and only Van Noy had an AV as high as 9, with just four more players, all on D, with an AV of 8! (An AV of 7-8 is literally average.) NONE of the rookies had an AV higher than 7, and only one at that (Davis). That means Flores got 10 wins out of Howard and a bunch of JAGs. If Grier got him ANY help whatsoever you could even make the argument that this team would be good enough to be the AFC's top seed this year! DO BETTER, GRIER!!!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2020_roster.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:42 pm

I think Grier has done a great job considering. Nonetheless, any GM rankings or grades should only factor in Super Bowls. Period. So far he's progressing but hasn't been disappointing. You absolutely have to consider what kind of a shit hole of a cap situation he had to deal with. IMHO he's done a great job of getting it under control. I'm not saying that he's better or worse I just think that you cant judge him until the team stops improving
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:37 am

No doubt the idiocy of Tannenbaum and Gase caused A LOT of the Problems, but....

Grier has done a good job of getting solid, hard-hat, lunch pail guys. JAGs as DF316 phrases it. I think some of the O-line picks last year may show significant progress this season. Hunt and Kindley especially. I am still not quite sure about Jackson, but will give him at least another season before I call him a BUST! I think he may just be a good LT but never the Great one we all hoped he would be.

BUT... Grier has stocked the roster with players that Flores can get the most out of... with improvement, Flores maybe can get a few more wins, but... WITHOUT some major IMPACT PLAYERS, just ONE on offense, and ONE on Defense.... I am thinking that is all the Phins will need given no major lessening in overall play and Tua improves as much in his second season as I HOPE he improves... Just get one big time threat on offense and one big time IMPACT player on Defense, and the Phins could be set. They need to go from GOOD to GREAT. And you cannot do that adding good players only. You have to hit on some GREAT ones... and you SHOULD...unless you are actively SEARCHING for VALUE picks and not going for the IMPACT SKILL POSITION Players.

I have some serious doubts Grier is going to be capable of that. He seems to prioritize the NEED versus "VALUE" in his draft equations! That can lead you to pick an OT over the IMPACT WR. To take the Guard over the desperately needed impact RB.

While the Phins can use help all over no doubt; as DF316 points out, there is no stellar player at any position unless you count Howard who is seeing enormous benefit from playing across from Byron Jones IMO.... THIS IS THE YEAR to get the IMPACT PLAYERS to set the team up for possible future Super Bowl runs!

Get Chase and Rousseau, or Pitts and Harris, D Smith and Paye, whoever.. (I am settling in on D. Smith and Azeez Ojulari I think?!?!?) and let them get seasoned so that in the next couple of years, the Phins CAN take the next steps from playoffs, playoffs winner, to Super Bowl Champs.

Another season of building blocks, lunch pail, blue collar hard hat JAGs is not going to get the Dolphins over the hump IMHO.

Grier has to get some IMPACT players THIS DRAFT!!

He has enough picks that if he uses them with an eye to IMPACT and not VALUE, one or two of them just based on probability, OUGHT to be IMPACTFUL.

C'mon Grier! Roll the dice for IMPACT!!!

finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:34 pm

The scheme is what maximized the so called JAGs. In the end, Miami prior to Grier, was all about impact players but never got it right and leaving the team in some serious cap trouble.

You could probably go back and forth on any GM in this league if they aren't winning Super Bowls. The fact that he is part of a regime that seems to be working well together and making the moves to improve the last 2 seasons gives Dolphins fans hope that a dynasty could be on the rise. Sure the draft has a lot to do with grading a GM but in the end, he consults with the owner and the coaches. It's my belief that the decision who he drafts have a lot of variables that are factored in those decisions.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:24 am

Umix10 wrote: It's my belief that the decision who he drafts have a lot of variables that are factored in those decisions.

Exactly. There are so many UNKNOWNS in drafting that it is more an art than a science. What it comes down to is PROJECTING a
player's abilities and physical assessment INTO the scheme, the other players, and the coaching you have in place.

Some people are better at it than others, and some teams just have a much better support system and coaching staff in place. Belichick cannot draft to
save his soul, but get him some young defensive players and he coaches them up to SUPPORT his veteran players.

I have often heard analysts say it is just as important the team and situation you go to, as where (which round) you are drafted.

There is a lot of LUCK involved in drafting. Who knew Isaiah Wilson was gonna flake out? He looked like a sure fire prospect while at GA.

That sort of stuff is bound to happen. But what gets me is, just like the bad, stinker draft picks, the law of averages says that at some point,
even a drunken monkey throwing darts SHOULD HIT on a future HOFer. Given enough picks, ONE OF THEM should come up a WINNER!

I hope Grier hits on a couple of sure fire winners in this draft.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm

The other thing to consider is that this roster needed building from the water boys up, so, it's not likely that the first couple of drafts are going to have a lot of studs as they try to get a roster together.

That said, this is the draft. Stars need to come from this draft or we're right back in the hole again as contracts expire.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 pm

finfanatic wrote:
He seems to prioritize the NEED versus "VALUE" in his draft equations! That can lead you to pick an OT over the IMPACT WR. To take the Guard over the desperately needed impact RB.

Are you saying Grier prioritizes need over value??? Wow, I don't see that at all. Grier drafted a CB in round 1 last year...that wasn't a need at all - but getting the best cover corner in the draft at the end of the round was a great value. If he was drafting for need, he would have drafted WR and RB - but he didn't. In fact, all of the picks last year were value picks. If anything, I think you can fault Grier for focusing too much on value.

I think you are mistaking "need" for Grier's plan - which was to build the foundation before adding the impact players. And to me, that makes perfect sense - what good is a RB or WR if your OL sucks and you have no QB? Draft 1 was all about establishing a culture by bringing in high character guys that loved football. Draft 2 was all about building up the trenches (particularly OL) and getting a potential franchise QB. Now, in Draft 3, it's time to fill the holes with impact players - WR, RB, etc. Look at what he did in free agency this offseason - he added players at almost every single need position, so that he could let the board come to him and not have to overdraft for need.

And also keep in mind, as I've said many times, the Dolphins draft board isn't going to look like other team's draft boards. They are very specific about what they want - so a player they see as 'best player available' often won't be rated as high on someone else's board. It's all about fit. Just like the Patriots, Ravens and Steelers. That's why I'm guessing (and I could be wrong, of course) they have Smith ranked over Chase - even though most "experts" have it the other way around.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm

I think the reason why the dolphins have been successful lately is that the GM and the Coach are in sync. The players are buying into the scheme and are fired up when playing for the Miami Dolphins.

Do we need stars maybe and maybe not. This is a team game and having stars or all stars certainly help out a lot but, if we get 11 guys on both sides of the ball that know there role and nothing less, can go a long way.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down