The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Position group rankings

4 posters

Go down

Position group rankings Empty Position group rankings

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:04 am

so the Herald ranked the Phins' position groups as follows:

WR
CB
DL
OLB
RB
ILB
OL
QB
S
TE

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article276306016.html

i guess its all just subjective, but i was surprised that QB and S were as low as they are. they used Tua's injury history and the unknowns with White and Thompson as the reasons. but its like Tua's league leading (when healthy) performance didn't matter. just curious how you guys would rank them.

me, i go...

WR, CB, OLB, DL, QB, S, RB, ILB, OL, TE

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Position group rankings Empty Re: Position group rankings

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:19 am

I had to think about it for a bit. The only thing I'd change from Merc's list is switching RB and S. Otherwise I'd be the same. I'm not putting QB so low because Tua's a bad player, but because he can't be counted on to actually play more than 12 games. Also, I'm really not liking what I've been hearing about Mike White...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:35 pm

Also, I'm really not liking what I've been hearing about Mike White...

Agree - sounds to me like Skylar Thompson is poised to take his job during camp. And I'd be totally fine with that, if not encouraged.

I think Thompson could be a keeper long-term.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:45 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:so the Herald ranked the Phins' position groups as follows:

WR
CB
DL
OLB
RB
ILB
OL
QB
S
TE

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article276306016.html

i guess its all just subjective, but i was surprised that QB and S were as low as they are.  they used Tua's injury history and the unknowns with White and Thompson as the reasons.  but its like Tua's league leading (when healthy) performance didn't matter.  just curious how you guys would rank them.

me, i go...

WR, CB, OLB, DL, QB, S, RB, ILB, OL, TE

I'm going to look at this a different way.

QB is the most important position on the field. The Dolphins have a QB that ranked #1 in the entire league in a dozen or so key categories last season. So, I am putting QB #1 on my list. Tua is as good as it gets when healthy, and this team will only go as far as Tua takes them. You can say that about any QB on any team, but Tua's ceiling - which we got just a glimpse of last season - is as high as any QB in the NFL today.

And backup QB is a joke around the league. I don't even take that into consideration in my rankings, because every team in the league is done if their starter goes down. I do feel good about the Miami backups - I don't think any team has a significantly better backup situation than the Phins have. But it's all relative. Backup QBs are backups for a reason.

Here's my list for the Dolphins:

QB
CB
WR
OLB
S
DL
RB
OL
TE
ILB

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:06 pm

JMP wrote:And backup QB is a joke around the league.  I don't even take that into consideration in my rankings, because every team in the league is done if their starter goes down.

Last season's 49ers and Brock Purdy would like a word. So would the 2017 Eagles. And the '72 Fins. Also, Brady started the '01 season as a backup who even Pats fans had never heard of. Just sayin'. Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:13 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:And backup QB is a joke around the league.  I don't even take that into consideration in my rankings, because every team in the league is done if their starter goes down.

Last season's 49ers and Brock Purdy would like a word. So would the 2017 Eagles. And the '72 Fins. Also, Brady started the '01 season as a backup who even Pats fans had never heard of. Just sayin'. Cool

I'm talking modern day. So you can forget 1972 and even 2001 (holy crap that was 22 years ago!!) for this discussion.

The 2017 Eagles are an exception, although their starter wasn't very good either - even if he did have a good season before getting hurt. Purdy played well also - another exception.

But let's be realistic...if the Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, Eagles, Jets, Broncos, Chargers and almost any team you name lose their starting QB they are all in just as bad if not worse shape than the Dolphins without Tua. The college game simply isn't producing enough viable NFL-caliber QBs these days.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down