The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club!

5 posters

Go down

DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club! Empty DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club!

Post by finfanatic Sat May 01, 2021 8:52 am

As happy as I was that Grier Finally went for IMPACT Players in Round 1, was exactly how DISGUSTEDand PERPLEXED I was by the
2nd day picks, or let me say, where the Picks were made.

#36 - Jevon Holland - Yeah, he can play, but if you dig into him, you start to see he is fully Oregonized to the point that
it just might become a problem. He states he follows Colin Capernick and loves what Capernick has inspired?! Yeah, that is something to love.  
While the Phins needed an upgrade at Safety, did they need it at #36? and apparently Moehrig has some sort of lingering back problem?  
Love the player, but a player who loves Capernick's stupidity is not someone I would want on the team. HATE this pick. Even if it works out
and allows Miami to dump McCain, I will always be waiting for the "protest" or the shiite-stirring to come up.

#42 - Liam Eichenberg - You passed on Tevin Jenkins to take a Safety and then had to trade up costing you a 3rd rounder next year, to get a
an OT I think MIGHT Have been there at #50???  WTF!!!  This is just freakin' stupid IMHO. And looks like the Rick SPielman model for drafting:
Do something that costs you lots of draft picks to get the same player you could have gotten by standing pat! Eichenberg is okay and may be
a very good RT. But the WAY Grier got him makes this ALMOST as bad as the Holland pick. Just vomit-inducing dumbness on this move IMO.

And if they had stood pat at #50, I think Eichenberg would still have been there, but...if not they could have had Cosmi, Radunz, OC Humphrey,
OC Myers, or even Edge Ojulari, LB Koramoah, or heck since TE was a screaming NEED, they could have taken Freiermuth! But no, we got rooked by the
Broncos, or rather people think we got rooked, but we don't need no stinking' RBs since we got Gaskins, so lets trade up and snag the guy we want at #42
who we could wait and get at #50, but we got to show how smarts we are!!!    ::Projectile VOMIT:::

#81 - I am assuming Dave Wannstedt phoned this pick in for the Phins. No way else to explain the sheer asininity of this pick. Nothing against Long, who is
sort of an old school TE. But once again, Grier reveals he just does not know how to use the Draft! You got a room full of TEs, so of course, you use your 3rd rounder
to add another TE, because.... HE was the highest rated TE left on the Board?  We NEEDED a TE? Flores went the Boston College? Why? Can anyone explain why
the Phins would use a 3rd pick on a TE? With Trey Sermon available? With Quinn Meinerz available?  LB Browning was available?  

I said it awhile back that I was positive the Phins and Grier's draft board was not going to be close to what we Phans think it should be, but.... these picks reveal
it is so far away from anything resembling REALITY and LOGIC, and simple Draft Mechanics to maximize Draft value, that I am just fully perplexed.

We all just have to face the fact, Grier is not using the normal methods for valuing players and picks.

I do HOPE all these Day 2 picks work out, but for me, Grier is now SUSPECT. I just do not trust him. And will always be thinking "Grier got to Grier!" as DG put it.

That was DG who said that right?

Maybe at #156 Grier can finally get the RB the Phins need. I hope it is Jake Funk!
Shocked

Smile

Last edited by finfanatic on Sat May 01, 2021 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club! Empty Re: DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club!

Post by CarsonChris Sat May 01, 2021 10:36 am

If you're going to trade yesterday it should have been to move up and get Javonte Williams!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club! Empty Re: DAY 2 PICKS - The Reason Grier will never have a fan club!

Post by HalCHorn Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 am

Actually I think Wanny would have taken some LB who's still on the board, and will be for another two rounds. :-)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 01, 2021 1:52 pm

I finally understand the Long pick, after doing some research.  Basically, he gives us another huge receiving TE so that we can finally run legit 2-TE pass plays.  He's also a good blocker, which makes him the most complete TE on the roster.  Essentially, this is another step in the remaking of the Miami offense to a more modern system where we can be multiple and use a variety of players and formations.  Long would not have been my choice, but now I get it - and he's another piece for Tua.

Eichenberg was a great pick IMO.  Super smart, strong as an ox and as tough as they come.  He's exactly what we need on the right side.  Great complement to Hunt, wherever the two of them end up playing.

But I am REALLY excited about Holland.  He has a chance to be special.  A true playmaker, and he can play anywhere in the secondary.  This is the guy we hoped Minkah would be.  He's also got outstanding character.  This was another home run swing IMO.

So overall, I am very happy with day 2.  Again, they made decisions I wouldn't have made, but the team is better as a result of these moves.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 pm

I heard that the Phins did try to trade back into the first for Harris or Etienne, but it didn't work out.  My guess is they would have taken Harris at 18 if Phillips hadn't been there.  I don't think they would have taken Williams at 36.

This RB class sucks, and apparently most teams agree since no one is taking backs.  But there should still be some talent available if the Phins do want a back.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat May 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Well, Charlie Casserly says the Phins first four picks all had 1st round grades.

It does look like our presumptions about the player rankings was wildly inaccurate. I saw what I thought were late 3rd rounders going in the 2nd!!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 01, 2021 8:16 pm

finfanatic wrote:Well, Charlie Casserly says the Phins first four picks all had 1st round grades.

It does look like our presumptions about the player rankings was wildly inaccurate. I saw what I thought were late 3rd rounders going in the 2nd!!

Turns out that a couple of players I liked had medical issues I didn't know about, most notably: Moehrig has back issues and Ojulari has an arthritic knee. Supposedly a bunch of teams removed those guys from their boards because of the medicals.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun May 02, 2021 8:27 am

Yes, I also heard Terrace Marshall has some issues that caused him to drop.

Apparently the Combine and all those tests they do ARE VERY VALUABLE!

Hope it returns next year.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon May 03, 2021 9:15 am

This is why I love this board! We have some who love this draft and others who hate it.

I always take the wait and see approach. I love watching live games and seeing who steps up. Last year, Van Ginkel was obviously making plays and flying all over the field - anyone could see he's a standout on the way up.

Who will it be this year? I can only hope it's Waddle showing dynamic ability on offense, Phillips staying on the field and terrorizing QBs, and maybe Holland forcing turnovers and Eichenburg locking down a starting job. Unlikely ALL FOUR will pan out that way, but I can always hope.

I will also acknowledge this: The Jets draft class makes me a bit envious. I liked E Moore and Carter (RB) going in - and they got them both. Plus, they drafted what they think will be their franchise QB and got a starting LG to pair with last year's LT Becton. That looks like a fine start to a rebuilt offense.

Here's hoping the Jets picks fail to pan out for one reason or another! Wink - but from where I'm sitting.... their 2021 class looks quite good
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am

Starting to warm up to Phillips. After watching some film he looked quick and had some good inside moves to get to the QB.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 am

The reason I compared Phillips to JT is the non-stop motor. Like JT, the guy just never slows down. Phillips also has some surprisingly developed pass rush moves, and he gets down low and bends the corner like Cam Wake. He's fun to watch and should be a fan favorite.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 am

Time will tell on these picks, but I understand the logic. I am disappointed with the lack of interest in taking a RB. If you're emulating the Patriots, I'd say their very best SB team was the one that had a no-brainer go-to RB (Corey Dillon in 2004).

Also disappointed in the failure to take a C in a year in which that position appeared strong. Doesn't appear nearly so strong next year.

It also was a weak year for edge rushers and a bad year to need one, but Phillips might work out. My concern is that he has a better than average chance to have a short career. He could be brilliant for a year or two then suddenly gone if he works out. One thing I will say, it's a much better gamble to take than Dion Jordan was!

On the plus side, Waddle is a great contrast to the possession WR's we have, and he certainly should contribute this year and take the Fuller role after it. We've given Tua a real chance to step it up this year just by adding him.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am

My thoughts on RB and C:

RB - I think the Phins were only really interested in Harris, and maybe Etienne. IMO they would have taken Harris at 18 had Jae Phillips not been available. They apparently attempted to trade back into the first round to get one of those backs. I think they would have considered Williams at 36, but I'm not convinced they would have picked him. After that, the RB position almost completely dried up. The Phins weren't going to draft a RB just for the sake of it - they wanted the 'right' guy: a bigger back that could run, catch and block. They took a flyer on Doaks in the 7th, who I feel is of a similar mold as Harris. But whether he pans out or not, I do think the Dolphins are comfortable with a Gaskin/Brown backfield if it comes down to it. You also never know what veteran backs will become available post-draft.

C - I too was really hoping the Phins would take a center. But, I don't think they viewed it as a pressing need with the signing of Skura and the continued development of Dieter. I think they saw the positions they drafted as more immediate areas of improvement. And don't forget - Skura played at a Pro Bowl level as recently as 2019 and he's only 28 years old. He's only on a one-year deal, but maybe the Dolphins felt he could become a long-term solution?

Bottom line: despite what we fans think, it seems that the Dolphins are OK going to battle this season with what they have at RB and C. And I can understand that...even if I don't wholeheartedly agree.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 03, 2021 11:47 am

white1 wrote:

I will also acknowledge this:  The Jets draft class makes me a bit envious.  I liked E Moore and Carter (RB) going in - and they got them both.  Plus, they drafted what they think will be their franchise QB and got a starting LG to pair with last year's LT Becton.  That looks like a fine start to a rebuilt offense.

I was not a fan of the Jets' draft. I understand what they did, but don't agree with the choices they made.
--I don't like Wilson at all. I think he has major bust potential. They obviously need a QB so they really had no choice, but I think this is going to be a fail. To me, he's a developmental QB and not a day 1 starter.
--The trade up to 14 for a guard was just plain stupid IMO. The Jets have one of the worst rosters in the league, and they gave up two 3rds for a guard?? Really? The 3rd rounders would have been huge for them to have.
--WR Elijah Moore could be an explosive slot receiver, but they already have one of the top slots in the NFL in Jamison Crowder. Moore will certainly help, I just think they missed a chance to fill a more important hole on the team, like pass rusher - which they did not address at all.
--RB Michael Carter is a solid player and is a huge upgrade over what they have at RB. He's their best pick IMO.
--After that, they drafted a couple of "meh" corners and a couple of small LB/S hybrids.

I would argue that the Jets did not become a significantly better team after the draft, and remain entrenched in the cellar in the AFC East.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm

--I don't like Wilson at all. I think he has major bust potential. They obviously need a QB so they really had no choice, but I think this is going to be a fail. To me, he's a developmental QB and not a day 1 starter.
--The trade up to 14 for a guard was just plain stupid IMO. The Jets have one of the worst rosters in the league, and they gave up two 3rds for a guard?? Really? The 3rd rounders would have been huge for them to have.

I would argue that the Jets did not become a significantly better team after the draft, and remain entrenched in the cellar in the AFC East.

Good point on the trade up, losing those 3rd rd picks hurts.

From your lips to the ears of God on Wilson and the Jets in AFCE Cellar! Smile

white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down