The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day3 Picks

5 posters

Go down

Day3 Picks Empty Day3 Picks

Post by Degarmo Sat May 01, 2021 7:21 pm

Round 7: No. 231 – Larnel Coleman, OT, UMass
Round 7: No. 244 (from WFT through LV) – Gerrid Doaks, RB, Cincinnati

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Day3 Picks Empty Re: Day3 Picks

Post by JMP Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 pm

Coleman seems like a practice squad player, but Doaks could be a steal. I know very little about him, but I really like what I've seen so far. I think he has a legit chance to stick.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Man, loving everything I hear and see about Dokes. He's supposed to be excellent in pass pro and is also a great receiver - two things that will lead to him getting on the field immediately. Very physical player. I don't want to get too excited too soon, but there's a chance that this guy could become the stud RB we all wanted.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 am

I guess the Phins feel like their first four picks were all they needed.

They decided before day 3 to trade away the #156.

Coleman will be a practice squad guy I am thinking. And if he does show any talent, look for him to be poached.

Doaks? Elijah Mitchell was gone. Even Jake Funk got picked before. But Jaret Patterson was there? I would really like to know the reasoning behind this pick?

I do think the Phins first four picks will be at the very least USEFUL, and maybe even more than that. If all four START, then that is a stellar job. If Waddle IS the next Tyreek Hill, that one pick will make this a great draft.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 02, 2021 10:53 am

finfanatic wrote:

Doaks?  Elijah Mitchell was gone. Even Jake Funk got picked before.  But Jaret Patterson was there? I would really like to know the reasoning behind this pick?

The reasons for selecting Doaks are pretty simple: he's a big, tough back that eats up yards and he's excellent at receiving and blocking. This is exactly the type of back we needed.  There are injury concerns, but if he stays healthy this kid has a chance to make some noise.  A perfect complementary back to Gaskin.

Last edited by JMP on Sun May 02, 2021 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 02, 2021 10:56 am

BTW, Jaret Patterson is a nice back - but I don't think he is what the Phins were looking for.  He's small and not much of a receiver or blocker.  The Phins already have a couple of small backs, including one that can't block (Ahmed).  I think they were looking for a bigger back with a complete skillset - and Doaks fits the bill.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun May 02, 2021 11:08 pm

We don't need midgets at the RB position. Ahmed, Gaskin and Laird are just too little for the running game we like.

There just isn't enough priority on running backs these days. Too many proven undrafted or late round selections that making a case for picking RB's later in the draft.

Doaks' size is perfect for what the Dolphins need. Which is why suspect the Dolphins brought in Malcom Brown. If MIami can get that line solidified, Doaks could be rookie of the year. His punishing run style would have been perfect last year.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 03, 2021 9:03 am

Umix10 wrote:We don't need midgets at the RB position.  Ahmed, Gaskin and Laird are just too little for the running game we like.  

There just isn't enough priority on running backs these days.  Too many proven undrafted or late round selections that making a case for picking RB's later in the draft.  

Doaks' size is perfect for what the Dolphins need.  Which is why suspect the Dolphins brought in Malcom Brown.  If MIami can get that line solidified, Doaks could be rookie of the year.  His punishing run style would have been perfect last year.

In a lot of ways, I think Doaks compares to a poor man's Najee Harris...same sort of skill set. Neither one of them is going to break many long runs, but they are both huge, surprisingly athletic players that can run, catch and block. I know he's a 7th rounder, but if he stays healthy I really believe he can play a huge role on the Phins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 am

Could have drafted Evans. I think it was a big mistake passing on him. I believe he will be one of the top 3 rookie rushers in the NFL.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 am

Evans is one of those players that should be a MUCH better NFL player than college player. Good pick for the Bengals - he should replace Gio Bernard from day 1. But again, I think the Phins wanted a bigger back. Doaks is about 20 pounds heavier than Evans.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon May 03, 2021 1:46 pm

Weaknesses
Girthy body type as a running back
More than 500 carries under his belt in just the last two years
Lacks acceleration to free himself as outside runner
Interior moves are fluid but not fast
Missing quick-twitch to stack moves without tacklers bearing down
Needs to run with better interior decisiveness as a pro
Runs into contact and not through it
Inclined to bounce it wide
Has to run with great play quickness and urgency

Reliable runner with good feel for run-lane development but just average burst. His feet, finesse and vision allow to probe from gap to gap against conference competition, but tighter NFL running lanes mean he'll need to be more physical and more urgent to succeed between the tackles. The college production is unlikely to translate into the pros, but he's well-rounded enough to compete for a back-end roster spot if he runs to his size and can play on special teams.

Yet..........240 carries 1070 yards 4.5 ypc 7TD's. 49 Rec 344yds 3 rec TD's

James Robinson RB Jacksonville Jaguars UDFA. Who incidentally beat out Leonard Fournette who was the Jaguars #1 pick.

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 04, 2021 11:49 am

How awesome would it be if Doaks was this season's Robinson???? Of course, chances are slim - but you never know!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down