The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jaelan Phillips

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jaelan Phillips  Empty Jaelan Phillips

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:20 pm

He seems to be the rookie that isn't showing anything in camp. Where is he?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Jaelan Phillips  Empty Re: Jaelan Phillips

Post by JMP Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:50 pm

He's been injured
..ankle I think??  They are bringing him along slowly. He's been practicing a bit and played a few snaps against the Falcons.   I'm guessing he'll see more action in the final preseason game.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am

Jae played more snaps than I thought.  Here's a video that shows each snap:

He didn't get much opportunity to rush the passer, but I thought he looked good in run support and setting the edge.  There's even a snap where he dropped into coverage.  He shows good speed and ability to shed blocks, and he gets to the ball.  Overall, a pretty good debut IMO.  Hopefully he plays a lot more this weekend and we get to see some of that pass rush ability.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Terrible, in against the 3rd and 4th string players and got abused.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 am

“This week, he needs to get better,” linebackers coach Rob Leonard said. “He hasn’t practiced. He needs reps. My mind isn’t even there [as far as Week 1] with him. He’s definitely moving faster where he’s not feeling anything.

“Jaelan is very smart. It’s one thing to understand something on a sheet of paper; another to execute it in live action. We’re working through that. In the classroom, he’s great. He needs reps and experience, to take fundamentals from the practice field to the game.

“It’s pretty obvious he knows how to rush the passer coming from college. With him, we talk about patience a lot [against the run]; let the plays come to you that you’re supposed to make. It’s a game of not beating yourself. I told him the other day, ‘if you go out -- outside linebacker in the NFL -- and just fall on the ground, the ball is going to end up in that general vicinity.’ Those are the plays you’re responsible to make, not plays on the other side of the field or doing something that’s not your job.

“Playing outside backer in this league is very simple to understand, harder to do. Guys are always messing with your eyes, messing with your alignments, trying to slow you down and make you think. The job [for coaches] is keeping things simple so he can play fast.

“Our job with Jaelan is to be very specific on first and second down, we’re doing this. Passing downs we’re doing this. Here is how we’re going to try to rush this guy. Here is how we’re going to set the edge in the run game. I talk a lot with him that you’ve got to work hard to be a trusted early down player because of all of the things they try to do to get you to not do your job. It’s a league of not beating yourself.”

Defensive coordinator Josh Boyer said of Phillips: “He’s done some good things and some things he’s got a ways to go.”

▪ Dolphins legend and preseason TV analyst Jason Taylor expressed surprise that Phillips was removed from Saturday’s game on a third-and-8. Is it safe to assume that Phillips will play with Emmanuel Ogbah and Andrew Van Ginkel in a lot of third-and-long situations?

“I wouldn’t assume anything,” Boyer said. “Those are things [best kept confidential].”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article253509234.html

sounds like to me they know what they've got in Phillips as far as rushing the passer and they were determined to work on some specific early down things such as patience, reading and sticking to your role. very often young pass rushers are over aggressive on early downs and offensive coordinators design plays to let them rush hard and wide like a bullfighter waving a cape while they run a draw or counter run right into the hole the young rusher just vacated. seems to me he held his own and didn't appear to allow any runs to get outside his edge. but again, without specifically knowing what he was asked to do, its hard to evaluate just exactly how well (or not) he did.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:58 am

CarsonChris wrote:Terrible, in against the 3rd and 4th string players and got abused.

Huh? When did he get abused? It looked to me like his job was to set the edge, and he did that. The big runs that occurred were not to his side. There were several plays where the runner had to go inside simply because Jae had the outside sealed. He was in on some tackles, and showed great pursuit and speed. I don't know what more you could ask in his first real action.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:15 am

I'm kind of in the middle between CC and Jmp here. Yes, Phillips didn't do much of anything but then again the Falcons for some reason kept running away from him. Then again maybe I'm still spoiled from watching JT's first preseason and how he was making impact plays literally from the start. At least Phillips was around the general area of the tackle most times instead of getting blocked completely out of every play. That's a start, at least.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:59 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'm kind of in the middle between CC and Jmp here. Yes, Phillips didn't do much of anything but then again the Falcons for some reason kept running away from him. Then again maybe I'm still spoiled from watching JT's first preseason and how he was making impact plays literally from the start. At least Phillips was around the general area of the tackle most times instead of getting blocked completely out of every play. That's a start, at least.

He really didn't have any pass rush opportunities, and it sounds like that was by design. He was a great run defender at UM, and I think the Phins wanted to see if that would translate to the NFL. So far, so good. I'd expect him to see some pass rush snaps on Sunday, but most likely he won't play much and they'll unleash him against the Patriots in week one. His size/speed/athleticism combo is pretty amazing, and he already has multiple pass rush moves. My guess is the Phins will move him all over the formation. I'm excited to watch him develop - I think he can be special.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Guy played 4 quarters. And did nothing. Not good for a highly touted pass rusher. Miami needs more pressure on the QB. That was the point of the pick. Now we are being told they just want him to set the edge? Some things just don't add up. I know it's his rookie season but I want to see a flash of something spectacular. The defense was blown up and gashed for chunk yard running plays in the 2nd half. That's when a 1st rounder, playing against 3rd and 4th string players should be showing. It was like Where's Waldo

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Guy played 4 quarters. And did nothing. Not good for a highly touted pass rusher. Miami needs more pressure on the QB. That was the point of the pick. Now we are being told they just want him to set the edge? Some things just don't add up. I know it's his rookie season but I want to see a flash of something spectacular.  The defense was blown up and gashed for chunk yard running plays in the 2nd half. That's when a 1st rounder, playing against 3rd and 4th string players should be showing. It was like Where's Waldo

Again...huh? He was not used as a pass rusher against Atlanta. He was used in run support, and did well. Again, the big chunk plays were not on his side of the field - he did his job. He was not asked to rush the passer, so no spectacular splash plays were going to happen. This was all by design. Dolphins front 7 edge defenders MUST be strong setting the edge...if they can't do that, they don't play.

The Dolphins aren't going to show their pass rush packages in preseason. They are playing purely vanilla with no wrinkles at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 pm

I'm just glad Egoevan didn't get the no rush the QB memo handed out to our first round pick.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:57 pm

Eguavoen's assignment was to rush the passer. Jae's wasn't. Watch the video of the snaps that I posted...Jae was clearly playing the run, not pass rushing. In fact, he was taken off the field in passing situations.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:54 am

This makes no sense. Pulling out your vaunted 1st round pass rusher on passing plays.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:59 am

CarsonChris wrote:This makes no sense. Pulling out your vaunted 1st round pass rusher on passing plays.

It's preseason - the coaches wanted to see him in run support, and they are also bringing him along slowly since he was hurt. And again, the Dolphins are not going to use their pass rush packages in preseason - no need to give the Pats and Bills any hints of what's to come. They haven't used Baker as a blitzer, Ogbah hasn't played much, they haven't blitzed any DBs...just pure vanilla. It's going to look very different week 1.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 am

JMP wrote:It's preseason - the coaches wanted to see him in run support, and they are also bringing him along slowly since he was hurt.  And again, the Dolphins are not going to use their pass rush packages in preseason - no need to give the Pats and Bills any hints of what's to come.  They haven't used Baker as a blitzer, Ogbah hasn't played much, they haven't blitzed any DBs...just pure vanilla. It's going to look very different week 1.

It had better look different Week 1. Even in a 17-game season this team cannot afford to start 0-2 in the division, especially with the Raiders Colts and Bucs up next. They could very easily be 0-5 without being anywhere near as bad as the 2019 team. Flores needs to prove he can win early instead of starting 0-2 for a third straight year.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:It's preseason - the coaches wanted to see him in run support, and they are also bringing him along slowly since he was hurt.  And again, the Dolphins are not going to use their pass rush packages in preseason - no need to give the Pats and Bills any hints of what's to come.  They haven't used Baker as a blitzer, Ogbah hasn't played much, they haven't blitzed any DBs...just pure vanilla. It's going to look very different week 1.

It had better look different Week 1. Even in a 17-game season this team cannot afford to start 0-2 in the division, especially with the Raiders Colts and Bucs up next. They could very easily be 0-5 without being anywhere near as bad as the 2019 team. Flores needs to prove he can win early instead of starting 0-2 for a third straight year.

Absolutely. It's time for a big step up. No more excuses...this is the best roster, from top to bottom, that the Phins have had in a long time and they need to strike now. And it all starts with those first two games. Time to dominate the division and reclaim the East crown!!! Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:54 am

Can someone tell me the Pats performance under Cam and Mac Jones was a preseason aberration, against the Eagles no less?

Just saying... please don't count the Pats out just yet. They will bring the same defense they always do (tough), and they will run the ball as much as possible unless it is stopped cold. Traditionally, we haven't fared well with that kind of matchup.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:03 am

white1 wrote:Can someone tell me the Pats performance under Cam and Mac Jones was a preseason aberration, against the Eagles no less?

Just saying... please don't count the Pats out just yet.  They will bring the same defense they always do (tough), and they will run the ball as much as possible unless it is stopped cold.  Traditionally, we haven't fared well with that kind of matchup.

I would never count the Patriots out. But I don't think this is their strongest team. Their offense can and will run the ball - no doubt about that. That looks to be the strength of the team IMO. But I think we match up well with them. There is no doubt in my mind that we have the better team - but we have to prove it on the field.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:07 am

I will have to see to believe. I WOULD LIKE to think we are built to stop the run, now better than in a long time.

However, the secret to the Patriots is their offensive line coach. I'm not convinced they draft better than everyone else on the offensive line, but they know how to coach them into studs. Witness the money the Giants wasted on that left tackle the Pats chose not to retain.

In any case, yes, I worry their offensive line is strong enough to move us off the ball and pave the way for an effective rushing attack. And Cam will be his normal, physical self and will run at times also.

A good week one win will do wonders for my confidence in this team. If we lose, or even worse we get blown out, I'm going to see visions of Groundhog Day in my head...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:13 am

The Pats are done whether they win the opener or not, just like last season. Brady WAS that team. Belichick has just one playoff appearance in seven non-Brady or mostly non-Brady seasons. An all-out running attack won't win you much of anything let alone a title in today's NFL, just ask the Ravens about that. And there's now so many strong teams in the AFC that even 10 wins probably won't be enough for a playoff spot. Also, nobody fears the Pats anymore, those days of them winning games before they even set foot on the field are over. 45-year old Brady scares me far more than Belichick.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:18 am

white1 wrote:

the secret to the Patriots is their offensive line coach.  

They do have a great line, but their legendary OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retired in 2019.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:54 am

They do have a great line, but their legendary OL coach Dante Scarnecchia retired in 2019.

In that case, do I dare hope they begin to decline in quality? Smile
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:41 am

white1 wrote:

In that case, do I dare hope they begin to decline in quality? Smile

I do think they still have a great line and a great running game. But I think their offense is very one dimensional...if you can contain the run, that passing game doesn't scare me.

The Pats will always have a good defense, but again I'm not shaking in my boots at the thought of facing them. Our offense should be MUCH better this year.

Way too many free agents playing big roles on the Pats. I never trust teams that were built largely with free agents...never seems to work out.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:44 pm

Belicheat brought in pass catching TE to open up everything. Miami will be playing in the toughest division in football. Patriots sucked last year and still won 9 games.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:55 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Belicheat brought in pass catching TE to open up everything. Miami will be playing in the toughest division in football. Patriots sucked last year and still won 9 games.

7 actually. Just sayin' Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next