The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Play calling

+3
JMP
white1
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Play calling Empty Play calling

Post by CarsonChris Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:54 am

4 games in a row the play calling has sucked. Miami squeaked by New England because of a take away. This team is lucky to have 1 win. I've been hearing this team has 3 play callers. Running backs, Passing, and QB. I believe the plays get relayed to Frye who then makes the call.

For some reason we don't have pass plays longer than 15 feet in the first 3 quarters. It seems we are playing rope a dope and only swing after getting pounded for 3 quarters.

The sense of urgency needs to start from the get go. Playing not to lose with 3-5 yard pass plays is killing this team.

Flores needs to have a coordinators meeting and let 2/3 of the play calling staff go. Then hold the 3rd coach accountable for the game plan.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Play calling Empty Re: Play calling

Post by white1 Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:15 am

I'd like to believe we can fix it that way CC but I think it's more simple than that.

Our offensive line sucks. Again! Witness yesterday A Jackson beaten cleanly at the snap leading to Brissett fighting to stay upright and fumbling. That was pretty much the recipe all day for him.

With this line, even Aaron Rodgers would struggle to move the ball.

No, I don't think there is a quick fix. I think this offense - and team - are doomed. With all the draft picks invested, we've missed on them all... and our line is just as bad as it has ever been.
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:03 am

The playcalling would look much better if Brissett was able to see an open receiver, and if the receivers could catch, and if the OL wasn't just a bunch of cardboard cutouts. Yes, the playcallig sucks - but the players are making it look even worse than it is with the constant mistakes. It's a shitshow across the board.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:25 am

and what's with the Malcolm Brown love. he got 35 plays to Gaskins 12. Malcolm was handed the ball 8 times for a paltry 23 yards and added a 4 yard reception. Gaskins was handed the ball twice - that's it! is it because the o-line is so horrible they believe Brown is a better pass protector?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:32 am

Merc, yes I think I read that Brown is far superior in pass protection.

Given how poorly we pass block, and also how much better our line is at run blocking (we just never run), we should seriously consider installing the Ravens run-heavy scheme. I'm only half joking.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 am

white1 wrote:Merc, yes I think I read that Brown is far superior in pass protection.  

Agreed, but that brings up another question: why does Gaskin suck in pass pro all of a sudden? He wasn't just good, he was EXCELLENT in pass pro last season. And now he's horrible at it...what happened??

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:29 pm

As I understand it, Godsey was responsible for calling that one pass play that resulted in the only completion for a safety in NFL history, but QBs coach Charlie Frye calls the plays in general. Which only makes this co-OC arrangement even more nonsensical than it already was scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:As I understand it, Godsey was responsible for calling that one pass play that resulted in the only completion for a safety in NFL history, but QBs coach Charlie Frye calls the plays in general. Which only makes this co-OC arrangement even more nonsensical than it already was scratch

Godsey call the plays. Frye has input into the gameplan but does not call plays.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:48 pm

JMP wrote:Godsey call the plays.  Frye has input into the gameplan but does not call plays.

Everything I've been reading says he does.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:29 pm

When it Got to 20-3 just couldn’t take it anymore, Switched it to the Chiefs Game to see a Real Offense Play. There was one Drive in 2nd Quarter where he had Time to Throw and he kept Dumping it Off, For the First Time this Year I’m going to Watch the All 22 on NFL.com for this Game just to see Who is Opened on these Pass Plays. Glad I will be in Pigeon Forge TN next Weekend so I don’t have to see the Debacle Next Sunday. Just to Let Y’all Know The Beach Boys Concert Last Night was Excellent.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:59 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Godsey call the plays.  Frye has input into the gameplan but does not call plays.

Everything I've been reading says he does.

Not sure where you're seeing that. I have never heard anything about Frye calling plays, and it wouldn't make any sense anyway since he is not a coordinator. All reports point to Godsey calling the plays, and he is also up in the booth on gamedays.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:02 pm

finskev wrote:When it Got to 20-3 just couldn’t take it anymore, Switched it to the Chiefs Game to see a Real Offense Play. There was one Drive in 2nd Quarter where he had Time to Throw and he kept Dumping it Off, For the First Time this Year I’m going to Watch the All 22 on NFL.com for this Game just to see Who is Opened on these Pass Plays. Glad I will be in Pigeon Forge TN next Weekend so I don’t have to see the Debacle Next Sunday. Just to Let Y’all Know The Beach Boys Concert Last Night was Excellent.

There are already several videos online showing plays where Parker, Gesicki and Waddle were literally wide open downfield and Brissett chose to throw underneath instead.  That's one reason I can't blame the playcalling 100%...there is evidence that they are calling downfield plays and the receivers are getting open - but if the QB won't attempt those passes, that's on him and not Godsey.

Glad to hear that the Beach Boys are still going strong...didn't realize they were still touring.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 pm

Whoever is calling the offensive plays doesn't need to be calling them any longer. That's all I have to say.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:50 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:As I understand it, Godsey was responsible for calling that one pass play that resulted in the only completion for a safety in NFL history, but QBs coach Charlie Frye calls the plays in general. Which only makes this co-OC arrangement even more nonsensical than it already was scratch

I think I found the source of the confusion: Frye gives the play to the QB. He's not calling the plays, just relaying them to the QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:09 pm

Miami needs to start looking for a seasoned play caller that has had success. Is Flores afraid of hiring strong coordinators? I'm thinking he likes yes men?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:26 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Miami needs to start looking for a seasoned play caller that has had success. Is Flores afraid of hiring strong coordinators?  I'm thinking he likes yes men?

Gailey definitely wasn't a yes man, so I don't think that's an issue at all. Unfortunately, I think Flores just doesn't know what he wants on offense. So yes, a seasoned veteran playcaller would absolutely help clear up some of the confusion IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down