The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tua, the Dolphins, and FA

+4
JMP
white1
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tua, the Dolphins, and FA Empty Tua, the Dolphins, and FA

Post by CarsonChris Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:52 pm

This entire debacle that's going on in Miami has got to be the worst example of player mismanagement I've ever seen. I think this gives Miami a huge black eye in the view of current players on the team and around the league. Nobody is going to want to play for Miami and nobody will want to sign with Miami. Ross and Grier have fucked this team up. I would go so far as to say there will be players in the draft that will pull an Eli Manning and claim they won't play for Miami if drafted by Miami.

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tua, the Dolphins, and FA Empty Re: Tua, the Dolphins, and FA

Post by HalCHorn Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

I think we have to identify a good GM candidate and start over at season's end. It will likely mean 3 OC's in 3 years for Tua, and a new coach, but I just can't see continuing with what we've seen happening this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and the team starts to progress in the second half, but still.....would anyone trust this front office to get the draft right next year after what we've seen?

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Yeah that's exactly the problem Hal. Hyde crucified the team's drafting track record over the last decade plus, and named specifically the individuals that have been here the whole time. And now, they are LEADING the scouting department.

We've seen the results in stark win-loss form.

Barring a near-miracle of a turnaround, this season is pointing to a huge house cleaning.

One benefit of what Grier has done. With so many short term deals expiring, any GM taking the job will have the ultimate flexibility on how to reshape this roster. We are not in cap hell, far from it. We have the 2022 cap space, we just don't know how to use it right now.

I'd start with signing Gesicki to a long term deal. And better think about Ogbah too because if unspectacular, he's a solid player you'll have to worry about replacing when needs elsewhere are overwhelming...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:26 pm

Great point, white. Say what you want about him, but Grier has done a STELLAR job managing the cap. I can't say it's gotten us anywhere so far, but moving forward we are in excellent shape with the cap. Definitely keep Gesicki and Ogbah - and then attack OL in free agency.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:07 pm

I would do that and try to add a stud at LB as well IMO it’s our weakest link on defense
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm

white1 wrote:I would do that and try to add a stud at LB as well IMO it’s our weakest link on defense

As long as its a pass-rushing LB. I think pass rush is the weakest area - and, really, the main reason the defense is so horrendously bad. What's really frustrating is that we do seem to get a decent amount of pressure - it's just that the pressure gets there too late to actually make an impact.

I truly believe we'd have about 5 wins right now if we only had a legit OL and a strong pass rush, and everything else was the same.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:55 pm

I'm saying the way we've treated our FA and current players, signing FA that are upgrades will be near impossible. We better get coaches that can coach up the current talent and a new front office that can draft talent. Our roster is littered with 1st round picks that didn't or don't develop. Are all these players actually injured or do they just not want to play for Flores and the team as it's currently composed?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:22 pm

I just want everybody to know that I officially Tua, the Dolphins, and FA 1f60d this thread. That is all.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:25 am

JMP wrote:What's really frustrating is that we do seem to get a decent amount of pressure - it's just that the pressure gets there too late to actually make an impact.

maybe it seems that way, but...

They’re pressuring the quarterback only 35 percent of the time, which is 29th in the league.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article255308271.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:15 am

CarsonChris wrote:I'm saying the way we've treated our FA and current players, signing FA that are upgrades will be near impossible. We better get coaches that can coach up the current talent and a new front office that can draft talent. Our roster is littered with 1st round picks that didn't or don't develop.  Are all these players actually injured or do they just not want to play for Flores and the team as it's currently composed?

I don't know...I think free agents follow the money, for the most part. Older players may take a discount with a good team to try to get a ring, but I think the majority are really looking for a payday - especially players coming off their rookie contract. The Dolphins have plenty of money - and that will be attractive.

I also don't think Flores has lost the locker room - yet. The team has played hard all along - even though it hasn't led to wins, I haven't seen any quit in anyone. This roster is made up almost entirely of young players looking to establish themselves - those types of players don't quit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:25 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:What's really frustrating is that we do seem to get a decent amount of pressure - it's just that the pressure gets there too late to actually make an impact.

maybe it seems that way, but...

They’re pressuring the quarterback only 35 percent of the time, which is 29th in the league.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article255308271.html

I can't read that Herald article so I don't know where they got their numbers, but Pro Football Reference has very different stats:
--The Phins are currently tied for 10th in the league (with Pittsburgh and Buffalo) with 67 pressures, and are 17th overall in pressure percentage at 23.2%.  
--Where they really suck is at QB hurries, where they are next to last in total hurries and tied for last in hurry percentage.
--Interestingly, the Phins lead the NFL in QB knockdowns, with 41, and knockdown percentage, with 15.1%.  

These stats seem to support my idea that the Phins are actually getting to the QB - but not soon enough to affect the play.  A day late and a dollar short.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

EDIT: And by the way, the Phins are 3rd in missed tackles...unsurprisingly.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:50 am

Florida and Texas are two of the few states to have no state income tax. Probably one reason Watson finds Miami so attractive (but, as we have noted, likely not the main one...). Most other teams he's moving from no state income tax to having one, and both the other Florida teams have entrenched starters.

That said, that and the weather should make Miami an attractive destination. If we can't land FA's, then you know something is really, horribly wrong in the F.O. and needs replacing.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am

Great points, Hal!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:44 am

Funny that Watson's only choice is a team more dysfunctional then the one he quit on.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:03 pm

So you are a FA 26-28 years old maybe older. You're looking for a payday and security. You sign a contract with Miami. You move your family, maybe buy or rent a house. Miami cuts you prior to playing or prior to finishing out your contract. This is being done repeatedly.

Take a college player getting ready for a draft. You are a first round talent. You've been watching what Miami has done to Tua. Do you want to play for Miami?

This organizations front office is destroying its future with its handling of current and former players.

If I'm an agent I steer my players away from Miami!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:13 pm

CarsonChris wrote:So you are a FA 26-28 years old maybe older. You're looking for a payday and security. You sign a contract with Miami. You move your family, maybe buy or rent a house. Miami cuts you prior to playing or prior to finishing out your contract. This is being done repeatedly.

This happens all the time around the NFL - it is not unique to the Dolphins. It is a league-created problem where veteran players that are mediocre get phased out because their salaries are too high.

The only players I can really think of that match that description for the Phins are Flowers and Van Noy - both were grossly overpaid as free agents and should thank the Dolphins for giving them a huge payday when no one else would. McKinney was acquired in a trade and was cut before the season started, and didn't find another job till week 7.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:48 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, Flowers (and Shaq Lawson) were both traded. So I think Van Noy is the only vet of note that was signed and then cut a year later. Anyone else I am forgetting?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:17 am

I think Grier and Flores got caught up with the hype. In all honesty, Grier had this team headed in the right direction. He controlled the cap space, reduced contracts to team friendly deals and brought in what looked good on paper some players that should have helped out. But things didn't work out. He went after toooooo many team friendly deals and not enough star power or talented "available" players.

That in and of itself short changed the product on the field which hits the Dolphins harder this year than any other.

Tua has not gotten a fair shake. Say what you want about whether he is or isn't the guy but Tannehill always comes to mind. Granted he has Derrick Henry, but shouldn't that be an indication as to how you support a talented QB?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:11 am

Umix10 wrote:I think Grier and Flores got caught up with the hype.  In all honesty, Grier had this team headed in the right direction. He controlled the cap space, reduced contracts to team friendly deals and brought in what looked good on paper some players that should have helped out.  But things didn't work out.  He went after toooooo many team friendly deals and not enough star power or talented "available" players.

That in and of itself short changed the product on the field which hits the Dolphins harder this year than any other.  

Tua has not gotten a fair shake.  Say what you want about whether he is or isn't the guy but Tannehill always comes to mind.  Granted he has Derrick Henry, but shouldn't that be an indication as to how you support a talented QB?

Great post! I think the key statement is: "He went after toooooo many team friendly deals and not enough star power or talented "available" players."

This team is absolutely LOADED with complementary players that would make great 'sidekicks' to stars. Unfortunately, we have none of those stars. That's the problem. It should be a relatively easy problem to address, but the Grier/Flores combo seems to avoid stars for whatever reason.

And yes, Tua has gotten absolutely screwed by this team - he has been set up to fail, and it's amazing that he's achieved even the limited 'success' he has. Fix the OL, get a running game, and add some receivers that actually play instead of constantly getting hurt - then we'll see Tua shine. And that's not to say that he's one of those QBs that needs everything perfect around him to succeed (like Tannehill) - not at all. It's just that there is a big difference between having a good team around you, and having crap around you. And I still say it is more coaching than anything else - although, again, you can't have your so-called top 2 receivers inactive every damn week.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:32 am

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 am

Tua has Waddle, that's one.  

Retaining Gesecki long-term would be a great idea too, but probably won't happen because he's a playmaker that can't block well enough.  So we'll find a more well-rounded TE that is not a playmaker instead, probably a guy that also gets hurt a lot if the pattern holds. 

It's way past time to cut bait on Parker and P Williams.  I think seeing him laugh after a horrible drop last week was a big nail in his coffin.  And Fuller? One year deal and how much has he played? Yeah, I don't see a long term extension in the cards for him at all. 

Hollins is fine as ST and depth.  Outside that, you probably need THREE NEW receivers on this team.  

How many linemen? Being conservative, upgrade at LG and RT are critical.  Hold onto Jackson if you want, but he's not a starter.  Sorry - bust.  We're probably OK at Center, LT, and RG.  

Oh, how about a real running back too? 

That's just the wish list on offense, and that's a daunting list for one offseason.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am

Good post, white. These days, I feel like finding quality receivers is like shooting fish in a barrel. In the past, it took years for receivers to develop - but in the modern-day NFL, with wide-open offenses and rules that greatly favor receivers, we're starting to see a bunch of rookie WRs every year that step right in and contribute in a big way. And there are always quality veteran receivers available - the Bills seems to add a couple every year.

So yes, while saying we need 3 receivers sounds like a daunting task - it really shouldn't be. Of course, everything seems like a daunting task for Grier, but you get the point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:30 pm

Chase and Pitts stepped in and became playmakers right away. Smith has been very good in Philly. Hell, even Kadarius Toney in New York has looked like a promising playmaker.

Definitely looking like counting on Devonte Parker to play like he did in 2019 going forward was a big mistake. Looks like that was a career year, and we really still need a go-to receiver with size.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Chase and Pitts stepped in and became playmakers right away. Smith has been very good in Philly. Hell, even Kadarius Toney in New York has looked like a promising playmaker.

Definitely looking like counting on Devonte Parker to play like he did in 2019 going forward was a big mistake. Looks like that was a career year, and we really still need a go-to receiver with size.

Waddle and Fooler along with Parker were supposed to be a nightmare mismatch for opposing teams. I don't know if they've been on the same field at the same time.

The Thursday night broadcasters were talking about the Packers being without their receivers last night and how it was affecting Aaron and this is Tua's reality every week. This is again on Grier. We've known Parker is injured all the time. Fooler is always injured. Williams is always injured and this is the team Grier assembled!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pm

Parker is such a disappointment. He really is such a good player when he's 100% - as we saw in 2019. But 2019 is the only time he's ever been healthy. Time to give up on him. I doubt anyone would trade for him now since he's hurt, but he's got to be on the cut list after the season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next