The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Flores fired!!

+6
Umix10
white1
HalCHorn
mercury22nathan
JMP
CarsonChris
10 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Flores fired!! - Page 2 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Flores fired!!

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:19 am

Deshaun Watson supposedly changed his tune on the Texans cause they didn't allow him input on the next HC.  i wonder if Ross is calling Watson now and asking him who should be the next Dolphins HC?  i'm joking...i hope.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:36 am

My initial reaction is: big mistake. Flores had his issues, but after 2 winning seasons I thought we were poised to make the next step.

Huge mistake. Once again, Ross takes a "half measure". And this time, a year TOO EARLY instead of a year too late.

The head coaching landscape is not exactly littered with great candidates. We just dumped an excellent coach that had the defense performing like a top 10 unit - and this without elite pass rushers.

How - THE FUCK - do you choose Grier over Flores?!?!?

Ross has screwed up one last and final time. At his age, he has virtually assured himself of never seeing the Fins make a playoff run. The next coach may be better than Flores.... but more than likely, the next coach will be WORSE than Flores. Why? Because Flores was not yet great but he was really good.

Normally a front office change sparks excitement. Today, I feel like the franchise is about to slide backwards. Looking at about 5 wins next season.

Oh, let's not forget all the collateral damage a coaching change brings. Young emerging stars like Holland, Waddle, Hunt, Phillips, Tua.... may or MAY NOT fit the schemes, wants, desires of the new coaching staff.

Finally this: Why THE FUCK is Ross talking about this? Grier is supposed to be the man in charge if Flores is fired it should be HIS call. Is the power structure in Miami still screwed up? Oh, and thanks for drafting Austin Jackson and Noah Iggy in round one you really set Flores up for success with those picks.

My God. What a mess!

I have half a mind to join DF on the sidelines after this debacle. I would only hope to hear some detail from Flores on why he left. Of course, he's got too much class and we will never know all the secrets from behind the scenes...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:40 am

white1 wrote:I have half a mind to join DF on the sidelines after this debacle.

i so much want to hear what DF thinks of all of this. i hope it hasn't sent him over the edge.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:45 am

Ross just met with the press...

Stephen Ross Zoom availability over...

Took responsibility for failure of finding the "collaboration" he so much wants.

Walked the fine line of not chasing Jim Harbaugh as long as Harbaugh intends to stay at Michigan -- which leaves door open.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1480565421648617475?s=20

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:47 am

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:55 am

some interesting tidbits on what happened...

Brian Flores struggled to hire and keep a good, experienced coaching staff.

He struggled to develop or nurture quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

He was hired by Stephen Ross and general manager Chris Grier but basically raised himself above Grier as the Miami Dolphins’ top football decision-maker in what seemed like odd dynamics within the organization.

And he failed to get his team ready to play early in seasons.

On its face, it is another half-measure by Ross who has a history of not making a clean start with his football team — often firing a head coach or general manager who are tied to one another but never both at the same time.

In a bit of office intrigue, Grier has been able to align himself with club president and CEO Tom Garfinkel, whom Ross values, and that has been helpful in keeping him in the owner’s good graces.

Grier, you must know, is fond is saying he functions to empower the head coach and get him the players he wants so as to succeed. He often deferred to Flores in personnel decisions, even though Flores was not necessarily hired to make personnel decisions.

But Ross apparently sees the Dolphins as a talented team that needs better coaching to succeed, a belief that suggests he believes in Grier.

It was the team of Flores and Grier who selected quarterback Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 5 overall selection in 2020, leaving Justin Herbert on the board so that the Los Angeles Chargers could take him with the No. 6 overall selection.

Herbert is better than Tagovailoa.

That was a collaborative decision made by all, including Flores and Grier.

The decision during the 2021 season to try to trade for Deshaun Watson was similarly a collaborative decision. Both Grier and Flores wanted to improve at the quarterback position, so they worked to trade for Watson, even as Tagovailoa was on the roster and starting games for the team.

The Watson chase ended when Ross stepped in and declined to let the trade proceed as long as Watson had myriad legal issues involving sexual abuse and harassment hanging over him.

The Dolphins under Grier and Flores intended to once again be involved in the chase for Watson this offseason, but that is now uncertain — to be determined by whatever decision the next head coach and his staff decide is the proper course.

https://www.outkick.com/miami-dolphins-fire-brian-flores-keep-gm-and-already-eyeing-possible-replacement/

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 am

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross did not rule out another pursuit of Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson and said he fired Brian Flores because “I don’t think we were working well as an organization to win consistently at an NFL level.” Asked if he plans to pursue Watson in a trade, Ross said he did not personally intend to but quickly added “it will be up to head coach what he does with quarterback. It will depend on the next head coach and the direction he wants to take.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article257185072.html

Ross was then reminded he already has a QB...

“I have a lot of confidence in Tua. The next head coach will work with him or whoever else. I have a lot of confidence in him. I’ve watched him grow. He is now the quarterback and [his future] will be dependent on the new head coach.”

so Miami could be starting all over - again. but with Grier still in charge?

On his decision to retain general manager Chris Grier: “If you look at our roster, we have a very fine, excellent roster of young players. This was all done in the last three years. We had an old, aging roster before that was leading us to nowhere but mediocrity. You look at our roster, you see our cap, we are well suited for the future.”

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:31 am

From the article that merc linked to, this is interesting:

It is unknown if Harbaugh decides to leave Michigan whether it would make him an option for Ross although sources said that isn’t happening. The door, however, cannot be completely closed.

It’s uncertain if Harbaugh or any other big-name coach would come to Miami with Grier as the GM. That is why Grier is safe at the moment.

But he’s not fully safe.

At the moment. Does someone (probably would take somebody like Marino) talk to Ross and encourage him to make a change at GM?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:33 am

It is a good point and makes this job SOMEWHAT attractive to potential candidates, at both head coach and GM.

A QB under his rookie deal is how you start cheap. Our salary cap space is insane, you can make A LOT of moves in one offseason to reshape the team how you want it.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:39 am

I dont know how you get fired for sweeping the patriots.

I think the best coaching candidate right now to me is Brian Daboll. He is an upcoming head coach. He's been to Miami but also coached Tua at Alabama. I think He's an excellent OC for the Bills.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:41 am

Cowherd's take: Flores can do better than Miami. Flores wanted Herbert, Grier wanted Tua. You can't win without an elite QB. Smart NFL people know Flores is really good.

Omar's take: Ross knows who wanted what. He's in touch enough to know where mistakes were made.

What a mess.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:43 am

If the Raiders don't keep the coach they have right now, he would be a good hire. Took the Gruden / Ruggs mess and got his team into the playoffs in SPITE of GM Mayock. Including a huge OT win last night over the Chargers.

Sign me up.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:44 am

Jay Gruden or Brian Daboll who Worked with Tua at Alabama, Need to keep Boyer as the DC since He Knows these Defensive Players and keep running the same Defense.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:45 am

Reading a lot of stuff online, and here are the conclusions I am coming to:
--Flores was not a good communicator and was not getting along with Grier and the front office. Sounds like he alienated himself from some players (on offense) and didn't see eye to eye with Grier anymore.
--It seems like Grier and Ross are all in on Tua for the moment - but would listen if the next coach has other ideas.
--The narrative out there now is that Flores was the one pushing for Watson. Whether true or not, that's the way it is being portrayed.
--Dan Marino apparently has a powerful voice in the organization, and he loves Tua. He's also good friends with...Doug Pederson.

At this point, Pederson makes the most sense. We MUST fix the offense, and he is proven. Can't afford to screw this one up.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:53 am

white1 wrote:You can't win without an elite QB.

Apparently, you can't win with an elite QB either. Just ask the Chargers. Wink Point being: no QB is going to be successful on his own - it takes a team.

Anyway - now that the dust is starting to settle and I can take a step back, Flores's inability to start strong and to build a competent offensive staff are just too damning to ignore. That, and getting obliterated by the Bills are every opportunity. And the lack of preparation for the Titans game was simply inexcusable. When I hear Gesicki say that the team did not prep for bad weather at all, it really makes me wonder what Flores was doing. I like Coach Flo and have supported him for 3 years, but these are things that I just can't ignore if I want to be objective.

What's done is done - time to move forward. Bottom line: the new coach MUST be an offensive guy that has strong ties with coaches around the league. I want a guy with experience that doesn't have to learn on the job, and I want a guy that understands how modern-day NFL offenses need to be run.

I am pounding the table for Doug Pederson.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:55 am

I've said this about 1000 times over the years...but please, for the love of God, keep Ross away from microphones! I can't stand listening to him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 am

Good link to an SI article covering some of the HC candidates around the league:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/sean-mcvay-coaching-tree-candidate-for-bears-to-consider
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:00 pm

Btw, this article lines up with a twitter source, Saints DC Dennis Allen a name to watch.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm

Flores statement:

BREAKING NEWS: Flores fired!! - Page 2 FIwVO9WWUAsKB8i?format=jpg&name=large

classy as always in the public eye.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:03 pm

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:07 pm

You'll notice in Flores statement, the clear and obvious omission of mentioning either Ross or Grier Laughing
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 pm

Anyone that supports Tua going forward should understand the only way to go forward is with a new coach. Tua and Flores don't jive. Flores and the RPO have got to go!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:51 pm

I'm totally on board with RPO - but you need a running game to make it effective. It's a part of most NFL offenses these days.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:54 pm

Would love to bring in Doug Pederson and the organization back and build around Tua for at lease 2022.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:01 pm

JMP wrote:I'm totally on board with RPO - but you need a running game to make it effective. It's a part of most NFL offenses these days.

Part. Not constant. No way to succeed when we got behind.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next