The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki

+3
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki Empty Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki

Post by JMP Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 am

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/08/dolphins-franchise-tag-mike-gesicki/

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Dolphins have opted to place the tag on the latter. Gesicki will cost $10.93 million on the cap this year if the team decides to keep him on the tag. However, there’s also a chance that he fights to be paid as a wide receiver, which would make his tag number $18.42 million.

The tight end had one of the best seasons of his career in 2021, as he recorded career-highs in both receptions (73) and yards (780) with two touchdowns.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki Empty Re: Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:24 am

at the $11M for one-year, Gesicki is a bargain...especially considering Goedert signed a open market deal averaging more that $14M per year. at the WR tag price, i am not so sure its a good idea, but i think Jimmy Graham already tried this approach and it didn't work.

the only downside i see to tagging Gesicki...

The Dolphins’ decision to place the tag on Gesicki, first reported by ESPN, increases the likelihood defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah will officially become a free agent at the start of the new league year on March 16.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article259179743.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki Empty Re: Phins use franchise tag on Mike Gesicki

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am

Yep, they tagged the guy that would have the smallest cap hit.

If Ogbah hits the market, I would be shocked if he doesn't get an offer that the Phins will decline to match.

It would have been worse if Gesicki hit the market though. I had heard there were two or three teams just waiting to pounce with big offers for Gesicki.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:12 pm

Ogbah was never going to be tagged - cost is too high at $18 million.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:46 pm

agreed that Ogbah was never going to be tagged, but i was hoping they'd be able to negotiate an extension. the Herald article indicates that no likely now - at least not before he hits the FA market.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:agreed that Ogbah was never going to be tagged, but i was hoping they'd be able to negotiate an extension.  the Herald article indicates that no likely now - at least not before he hits the FA market.

Absolutely - I was hoping we could sign him before he hits the market. I think he's a goner...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:13 pm

Still want Gesicki and Ogbah with long extensions but this is a good move. Looks like all the teams are tagging their TEs so a team like the Jets would have thrown stupid money to sign Gesicki.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:54 pm

JEGnj wrote:Still want Gesicki and Ogbah with long extensions but this is a good move. Looks like all the teams are tagging their TEs so a team like the Jets would have thrown stupid money to sign Gesicki.

Glad to see you are feeling better! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:45 pm

Yeah, I think the jets were prepared to offer Gesicki a big contract. I'm hearing that they were very high on him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:51 am

Yeah, I heard the Jets were fired up on getting Gesicki. I also heard Pederson with Jags wanted to make Gesicki a priority. Also, the Packers were interested I read. I think Tonyan is a free agent and is coming off a knee injury, IIRC...

Could you imagine Gesicki with Rodgers as QB? Shocked
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:34 pm

Amazing for such a "one dimensional" player there was so much interest in signing him!

If you listen to Omar at Sun Sentinel, he's a one dimensional TE that is better used as a receiver, only he's not a good receiver either because he's too slow. Waddle is a better receiver AND a better blocker in his book. Rolling Eyes
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:57 pm

white1 wrote:Amazing for such a "one dimensional" player there was so much interest in signing him!

If you listen to Omar at Sun Sentinel, he's a one dimensional TE that is better used as a receiver, only he's not a good receiver either because he's too slow.  Waddle is a better receiver AND a better blocker in his book.  Rolling Eyes

Once McDaniel opens up this offense, people are going to see just how good Gesicki really is. If we can add another legit receiver on the outside, Gesicki is going to have a MONSTER season.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:13 pm

white1 wrote:Amazing for such a "one dimensional" player there was so much interest in signing him!

Haha, I was thinking the same thing! Letting Gesicki go only for the Jets to sign him would've been cause to fire Grier on the spot if I was the owner. Speaking of Grier, how stupid does that make the Long pick seem now--after it already looked pointless at the time! SMH. Evil or Very Mad

If you listen to Omar at Sun Sentinel, he's a one dimensional TE that is better used as a receiver, only he's not a good receiver either because he's too slow.  Waddle is a better receiver AND a better blocker in his book.  Rolling Eyes

I stopped taking anything Omar said seriously at least a decade ago. If he ran the team they'd be a serious candidate to go 0-16 every season. Not even joking.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:05 pm

I believe You will see Gesicki line up next to the Tackle in a 3 point Stance more under Mcdaniel and make a LB have to cover Him instead of Splitting Him out in the Slot All the Time.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:12 pm

I believe You will see Gesicki line up next to the Tackle in a 3 point Stance more under Mcdaniel and make a LB have to cover Him instead of Splitting Him out in the Slot All the Time.

Agree. With competent offensive minds in house now, we are going to see a lot more mismatches. Gesicki on a linebacker, or versus any number of safeties, is a great mismatch for us. Some of the better safeties can cover him, but not all of them.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:01 pm

finskev wrote:I believe You will see Gesicki line up next to the Tackle in a 3 point Stance more under Mcdaniel  and make a LB have to cover Him instead of Splitting Him out in the Slot All the Time.

Absolutely. It will also help to have someone other than Waddle for the defense to worry about. Too many times we saw Gesicki get doubled or at least covered by a top corner because the D didn't have to worry about anyone else. In this new offense, I think Gesicki will be able to get in space more and draw better matchups. I expect a huge increase in yards after catch.

JMP
Admin

white1 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down