The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parker Traded to Pats

+6
CarsonChris
finfanatic
JMP
DolFan 316
JEGnj
finskev
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Parker Traded to Pats Empty Parker Traded to Pats

Post by finskev Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:25 pm

Parker and a 2022 5th rd Pick for 2023 3rd Pick, We will be like the 1999 Saints and Trade our Whole Draft.

finskev

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Parker Traded to Pats Empty Re: Parker Traded to Pats

Post by JEGnj Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:40 pm

Seems like a wasted trade and yes to the Pats. Hopefully it doesn't burn us but the dude just doesn't play. Maybe Belicheat will make him man up and get on the field.
JEGnj
JEGnj

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:37 pm

What. The. Fuck.

(Leaves forum.)

DolFan 316

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:29 pm

LOVE getting a 3rd for Parker. But...the Patriots??? Really??? I don't have a problem trading Parker, it's just the team we traded him to.

Realistically, he was the #4 receiver (#5 if you include Gesicki) on the Dolphins and there's no way they were keeping him at his salary. I think he could have been a valuable role player, and I do like him a lot, but not at that cost. But why are we helping the Patriots?? He could end up being their #1 receiver if he stays healthy, simply because they don't exactly have a great receiving corps.

Well, let's hope he can't adapt to "the Patriot way" and continues to be injury-prone.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:48 am

Yep, this is another of those dipshyte moves we complain so much about it seems.

And while I wish no ill on Parker, I do hope the Pats stink on ice this year.

Just a major head-scratcher here.

(EGAD!!! EDIT - I just saw it is a 2023 3rd round pick!!!)  I guess it is pick #85 and they gave up #158 and Parker for it?? To the freakin' Pats?

On the face of it, this looks like Grier got got again!

Okay, it is official, Grier got got... again.

This is just abysmal IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:06 am

Thank god, I was getting tired of hearing myself bitch about his injuries!

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Like getting 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year, a better draft than 2022 IMO, but not a fan of the exchange. We must need the cap space at this point.

Having said that, his career year in 2019 has looked like exactly that since. He helps the Pats though.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:41 am

JMP wrote:I don't have a problem trading Parker, it's just the team we traded him to.

agreed. i understand trading Parker (even though i thought he could've still had a role with Miami), but why within the division? even if Miami didn't value him, why help out a rival potentially strengthen (now matter how little) their weak WR core and give them additional draft assets this year for picks next year?

what this really indicates is that Parker (Miami's supposed no. 1 WR) really had no value league wide. i guess no other non-division team was willing to give anything of approximate value (the balance of which basically equates to a 6th rounder) that Miami got from NE.

maybe this will go the way of Isiah Ford and he'll be back on the street by mid season?? but i have a funny feeling Parker will be injured most of the season but somehow find a way to play at least 6-8 games, two of which will be against Miami in which he'll have his only real production of the year.

but hey, the positive way to look at this is to say McDaniel is basically saying he's so confident that if a player can't help Miami, we'll be so good it doesn't matter where he goes!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

what this really indicates is that Parker (Miami's supposed no. 1 WR) really had no value league wide.  i guess no other non-division team was willing to give anything of approximate value (the balance of which basically equates to a 6th rounder) that Miami got from NE.

Yes, I think that's it - no other team was willing to give that high of a return.

BTW - apparently we traded Parker and a 5th in 2023 for a 3rd in 2023...so both picks exchanged are in 2023. That makes it a bit better.

Looking at his career stats, Parker really only had the one great season - so it's not that big a loss from that view.

And looking at the Pats, their passing success seems to come from receivers getting separation - or at least it did when Josh McDaniels was running the offense. Parker has never been good at getting separation, so maybe he struggles in that offense?

I don't know...I'm starting to think maybe this trade isn't that big a deal. Like Carson said, I'm sick and tired of talking about Parker being injured, and half the time he plays he's playing hurt anyway. Bottom line, we got a 3rd round pick for a guy that didn't figure into the team's plans - I'll take it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:08 am

From what I am seeing, the 5th rounder is a 2022; #158 this year?

Parker Traded to Pats

The Miami Dolphins continued their active offseason on Saturday, as they traded wide receiver DeVante Parker and a 2022 fifth-round pick to the New England Patriots for a 2023 third-round pick.

Miami now has just four draft picks in this upcoming draft – a third, fourth and two seventh-round selections. However, in 2023, they currently have two picks in the first and third rounds.

They gave up another pick in this draft to move a player who may actually HELP a division rival... for a pick next year?

As Hal says, this is about getting what you can get and relieving some cap space... apparently.

I still do not understand it. Unless the Phins feel Parker will not HELP the Pats.

And as far as this draft goes, it seems obvious Grier and Co think this draft sucks tainted mud from a riverbed downstream from Chernobyl!

We shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:49 am

finfanatic wrote:From what I am seeing, the 5th rounder is a 2022; #158 this year?

Hard to tell what the actual compensation is, but Ian Rapoport said it's a 2023 pick:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

Compensation update: The #Patriots are sending a 2023 third rounder to Miami for WR DeVante Parker and a 2023 fifth rounder.
1:09 PM · Apr 2, 2022

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:52 am

finfanatic wrote:

And as far as this draft goes, it seems obvious Grier and Co think this draft sucks tainted mud from a riverbed downstream from Chernobyl!

We shall see.

The more I look at it, the more I think this draft class sucks. Sure, there are some good players, and a handful of great players, but overall it seems very underwhelming. WR, TE and C seem like the deepest positions to me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:26 pm

JMP wrote:The more I look at it, the more I think this draft class sucks. Sure, there are some good players, and a handful of great players, but overall it seems very underwhelming. WR, TE and C seem like the deepest positions to me.

It certainly seems that Grier and Co. feel that way also. The draft is always a crapshoot, but you should be able to maximize the value of a pick at the very least.

I agree, it is looking likely that UNLESS the Phins can hit on some sleeper picks, the picks they have will probably be used for depth. And don't forget a Punter.

I could see Grier taking the "Punt God" in the 3rd. And then saying "He was the highest rated player on our board." with a straight face!

I do not know if it is a good thing or not if the team GM feels taking a Punter as the first draft pick is the best thing to do?

Laughing

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm

JMP wrote:
finfanatic wrote:From what I am seeing, the 5th rounder is a 2022; #158 this year?

Hard to tell what the actual compensation is, but Ian Rapoport said it's a 2023 pick:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

Compensation update: The #Patriots are sending a 2023 third rounder to Miami for WR DeVante Parker and a 2023 fifth rounder.
1:09 PM · Apr 2, 2022

Never mind - NFLN still has the 5th as a 2022 pick, so I assume that's it. Oh well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:29 pm

This is a deep draft for WR, EDGE and IOL, and a bad one for TE and QB. But yeah, 2023 looks to be a much better draft. I'm all for having more ammo next year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:58 pm

HalCHorn wrote:This is a deep draft for WR, EDGE and IOL, and a bad one for TE and QB.  But yeah, 2023 looks to be a much better draft.  I'm all for having more ammo next year.

I agree. But if the off season keeps moving this way we may be only invited to watch the draft on TV

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:32 am

HalCHorn wrote: a bad one for TE

I think it's a strong and deep TE class. Trey McBride is the cream of the crop and I think he's going to be a real good receiving TE at the next level - maybe great if he lands in the right spot. Isaiah Likely is a playmaker, and Greg Dulcich has big upside. I think we'll see TEs like Jalen Wydermyer, Cade Otton, Jake Ferguson, Cole Turner, Jeremy Ruckert and Charlie Kolar all go in rounds 3 - 7. Those are all quality players that can find homes on NFL teams and be real contributors and some even eventual starters.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:52 am

I agree about the TEs, JMP.

Another one who is not getting a lot of buzz is Derrick Deese Jr from San Jose State. If they really want a TE, Deese is well worth a 7th rounder IMO.

To those you listed above, I would add Lucas Krull who MIGHT develop into something very good. Also, Grant Calcaterra is a big red zone target right now.

I DOUBT Grier will go for a TE though.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:04 am

I forgot about Deese...he could be a sleeper.

I agree - I doubt we'll take a TE. We are pretty stacked there, although Shaheen could be replaced and Long is a big question mark.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:36 pm

JMP wrote:

I think it's a strong and deep TE class.  Trey McBride is the cream of the crop and I think he's going to be a real good receiving TE at the next level - maybe great if he lands in the right spot.  Isaiah Likely is a playmaker, and Greg Dulcich has big upside.  I think we'll see TEs like  Jalen Wydermyer, Cade Otton, Jake Ferguson, Cole Turner, Jeremy Ruckert and Charlie Kolar all go in rounds 3 - 7.  Those are all quality players that can find homes on NFL teams and be real contributors and some even eventual starters.

Probably not a TE taken in the first 40 picks IMO. Kolar is a sleeper and I think Jelani Woods has great upside. No doubt a few will work out but there isn't a can't miss/sure thing prospect at the position this year. Potentially still a good year though; quite a few good ones have gone in rounds 3-5 in prior years.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:56 pm

HalCHorn wrote:
JMP wrote:

I think it's a strong and deep TE class.  Trey McBride is the cream of the crop and I think he's going to be a real good receiving TE at the next level - maybe great if he lands in the right spot.  Isaiah Likely is a playmaker, and Greg Dulcich has big upside.  I think we'll see TEs like  Jalen Wydermyer, Cade Otton, Jake Ferguson, Cole Turner, Jeremy Ruckert and Charlie Kolar all go in rounds 3 - 7.  Those are all quality players that can find homes on NFL teams and be real contributors and some even eventual starters.

Probably not a TE taken in the first 40 picks IMO.  Kolar is a sleeper and I think Jelani Woods has great upside.  No doubt a few will work out but there isn't a can't miss/sure thing prospect at the position this year.  Potentially still a good year though; quite a few good ones have gone in rounds 3-5 in prior years.

Definitely not a top 50 pick at TE, and in fact the first may go in round 3. But I think that speaks to the way the position is valued - aside from the rare blue-chip TEs, it's not a position that is typically drafted high. There are some strong prospects this year, and I think rounds 3-5 could be a "sweet spot" for the position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:29 pm

HalCHorn wrote:
JMP wrote:

Probably not a TE taken in the first 40 picks IMO.  Kolar is a sleeper and I think Jelani Woods has great upside.  No doubt a few will work out but there isn't a can't miss/sure thing prospect at the position this year.  Potentially still a good year though; quite a few good ones have gone in rounds 3-5 in prior years.

Is this actually true? I decided to find out.

First I did a quick search on the best TE draft classes ever. Not a whole lot of info, but an article seemed to think 2017 had the potential to be right up there (from the context it was from before the 2017 draft). So I decided to make that year my starting point.

There have been 41 TEs drafted between the 3rd and 5th rounds from 2017-21. Of that group, only two really stood out (George Kittle, 5th round 2017 and Mark Andrews, 3rd round 2018). Four others had a double digit career Approximate Value but none higher than 14. All four were drafted from 2017-19 so would've had plenty of time to accumulate AV. The rest, including Smythe, seem to be JAGs although the jury's still out on the 2021 class obviously. But the evidence suggests that finding a TE gem in rounds 3-5 really is pretty much an accident. Andrews was the second TE the Ravens selected in that draft, they took Hayden Hurst 25th overall obviously thinking he'd have the career Andrews has so far.

Also for some odd reason the Pats drafted two TEs in the 3rd round in 2020 scratch Not sure what the logic behind that was.

https://stathead.com/football/draft_finder.cgi?request=1&order_by_asc=1&order_by=default&draft_year_min=2017&draft_year_max=2021&draft_round_min=3&draft_round_max=5&pick_type=overall&conference=any&draft_positions%5B%5D=te&show=all

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:42 pm

To be more precise, I was thinking further back. Travis Kelce, Jimmy Graham, Jared Cook (all 3rds), Charles Clay (actually a 6th) were the guys I was thinking of in addition to Kittle. Still a good point though, that's not that many in a 15 year period--"quite a few" was an overstatement on my part.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:56 pm

I totally forgot Graham was a third rounder Shocked In hindsight it's mind blowing how a 6'7" obvious athletic specimen from "The U" could be just the 5th TE taken in the 2010 draft behind the likes of Tony Moeaki and Ed Dickson. 4th rounder Dennis Pitta might've been good if he wasn't made of glass.

The Pats took two TEs in that draft as well. Gronk turned out to be pretty good. Not sure what happened to that other guy though scratch

Clay BTW turns out to be the best TE drafted in the 6th round from 2010-21 by far, although Ryan Griffin wasn't awful for being taken in that spot.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:31 am

HalCHorn wrote:To be more precise, I was thinking further back. Travis Kelce, Jimmy Graham, Jared Cook (all 3rds), Charles Clay (actually a 6th) were the guys I was thinking of in addition to Kittle.  Still a good point though, that's not that many in a 15 year period--"quite a few" was an overstatement on my part.

And don't forget Darren Waller - a 6th rounder in 2015.

So the NFL's top 4 TEs (Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews) were all taken between rounds 3-6.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next