The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins Empty Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:18 pm

The Dolphins lost at home to the Vikings, 24-16, falling to 3-3 and sliding into last place in the AFC East. The Phins were never legitimately in this game, and the only reason the score was so close was because of an excellent defensive effort for three quarters.

The Dolphins started the day with Skylar Thompson at QB. Despite moving the ball well, Thompson led to team to 0 points and left the game early in 2nd quarter with a hand injury, replaced by Teddy Bridgewater. Bridgewater struggled to move the offense for most of the game, although the team did score two 4th quarter TDs (one in garbage time) and had another decent drive late that ended in a turnover. Overall, Bridgewater and the offense just didn’t do enough.

The OL was atrocious, particularly the left side. Bridgewater was under constant pressure, and the running game, effective early, disappeared as the game went on and the Phins all but abandoned it in the second half. LT Greg Little and LG Liam Eichenberg were absolutely awful.

Tyreek Hill was the offensive star of the game, with 12 catches for 177 yards. Jaylen Waddle had 6 catches for 129 yards, but killed the team with a drop that became an INT and a fumble on a 3rd and long completion in the red zone late in the game with the Phins down by just 6, that essentially ended the game. Mike Gesicki had a nice game, with 6 catches and 2 fourth quarter TDs.

It was a sloppy, undisciplined game for the Miami offense. At one point early in the game, the offense committed penalties on three consecutive plays, and committed 5 total on that one drive.

The Dolphins went four and out on their opening possession of the 2nd half, failing a fake punt in their own end on 4th and 1. Clayton Fejedelem took the direct snap and got outside, but Alec Ingold missed a block and the play gained nothing. The Vikes got great field position, but fortunately Christian Wilkins had a huge tackle for loss and the Phins forced another 3 and out. But the Dolphins offense followed that up with a three and out of their own. That was pretty much the theme of the day: the defense kept shutting down the Vikes offense, but the Miami O did nothing.

The defense played great most of the game, forcing 9 three and outs. After Waddle’s fumble late in the game, RB Dalvin Cook had a 53 yard TD run to seal the victory, but the run D was stellar prior to that. Overall, they played great but could not overcome the Miami offensive ineptitude.

CB Nik Needham played very well early, but was carted off the field in the 2nd quarter with what looked like a serious lower leg injury. After he went out, the Miami defense immediately got shredded for an easy TD, lowlighted by yet another all-out Dolphin blitz that led to an easy pitch and catch first down to a wide open receiver. We’ve seen that over and over this season, and Coach Boyer has done nothing to fix it.

Jason Sanders missed a 52-yard FG late in the first half. Time to find a new kicker – he’s just not reliable anymore. Special teams also allowed a 23 yard punt return. Another terrible effort from special teams today.

And there you have it. A pathetic offensive effort leading to a loss…a scenario that Dolphins fans have become very familiar with over the past couple of decades. Fortunately, Tua returns next Sunday as the Dolphins celebrate their Perfect Season, with a prime time home game against the Steelers. That game now becomes a must win if the reeling Dolphins plan to be in the playoff hunt at the end of the season.

Hero of the Day: Tyreek Hill really is a special player. This guy is worth everything the Dolphins gave up for him, and he is a one-man wrecking crew.

Goat of the Day: The OL is deserving yet again, but I’m giving it to Jaylen Waddle: a bad drop that became an INT and a red zone fumble that directly cost the Dolphins the game. Quite frankly, Waddle killed this team today despite putting up big numbers.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins

Post by CarsonChris Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:35 pm

Skylar Thompson was dealing the ball like an all pro until the thumb injury. The one drive he was fighting Minnesota and the Refs to get yards. Hard to overcome great plays that get erased by penalty. Especially when there's multiple penalties in a row. Negating multiple big pass plays.

The goat of the day is Grier. We can't ignore the garbage he's compiled on the line.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 6, Vikings at Dolphins

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:59 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Skylar Thompson was dealing the ball like an all pro until the thumb injury. The one drive he was fighting Minnesota and the Refs to get yards. Hard to overcome great plays that get erased by penalty. Especially when there's multiple penalties in a row. Negating multiple big pass plays.

In a weird, twisted way I'm actually encouraged that Skylar didn't get tossed out of the game via spotter fiat, because I was convinced it would happen and happen early. Still not convinced the NFL is done rigging games against this team or actually enforcing the rule in any other game yet though. If anything it seems as if they got wise that people might catch on to their selective enforcement and decided to stack the deck against the Fins the old-fashioned way.

The goat of the day is Grier. We can't ignore the garbage he's compiled on the line.

To be fair, this team's shown a near-complete inability to obtain even average O-linemen well before Grier, going all the way back to the '95 draft. I said it before and I will again--this is a scouting issue that requires an overhaul at the source. Otherwise it might not matter who the GM is.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:02 pm

Skylar was pretty mediocre IMO. His deep passes are ducks and he holds the ball too long. He did move the team, but put zero points on the board. The excessive penalties were to blame on that one drive, but the bottom line is you need to score and Skylar didn't. I'm not blaming this loss on him by any means, but poor QB play has been a big part of the 3-game losing streak.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:05 pm

The horrific OL performance today was really due to Little (a backup) and Eich. I'd rate the rest of the OL as mediocre today, and typically mediocre OL play is good enough to win. But Little and Eich simply got abused over and over.

This line could be "good enough" with a legit LG and a healthy Armstead. Maybe it's time to give Robert Jones a chance at LG.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:07 pm

JMP wrote:Skylar was pretty mediocre IMO.  His deep passes are ducks and he holds the ball too long.  He did move the team, but put zero points on the board.  The excessive penalties were to blame on that one drive, but the bottom line is you need to score and Skylar didn't.  I'm not blaming this loss on him by any means, but poor QB play has been a big part of the 3-game losing streak.

I see that he also ran only once, and in the opinion of one NYF (that I agreed with) McDaniel really needed to utilize that part of his game much more. I get that there's probably a fear of spotter shenanigans, but at some point you just have to say fuck it and try to win regardless.

Oh well. The way I see it at least we now know Skylar isn't any sort of answer and can abandon that false hope. I feel genuinely ashamed for having been so totally fooled, that's not like me Embarassed

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:08 pm

JMP wrote:The horrific OL performance today was really due to Little (a backup) and Eich.  I'd rate the rest of the OL as mediocre today, and typically mediocre OL play is good enough to win.  But Little and Eich simply got abused over and over.  

This line could be "good enough" with a legit LG and a healthy Armstead.  Maybe it's time to give Robert Jones a chance at LG.

I shudder with horror to think how mind-blowingly awful Robert Jones must be to not even get a chance on THIS traveshamockery of an O-line affraid affraid affraid

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:11 pm

The worst part about all this to me is that the Fins went from 3-0 to being tied for last in the division literally as quickly as they possibly could have. I'm calling it now, they finish the season with 6 wins.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:19 pm

JMP wrote:The defense played great most of the game, forcing 9 three and outs.  After Waddle’s fumble late in the game, RB Dalvin Cook had a 53 yard TD run to seal the victory, but the run D was stellar prior to that.  Overall, they played great but could not overcome the Miami offensive ineptitude.

Not that it matters, but it still irks me greatly that if you take out that run the Vikes had 16 carries for 25 yards. But because you can't take that run out everyone is now going to think the run D is horrible Evil or Very Mad

I see at least Jaelan Phillips got another half sack so...yay?

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:34 pm

JMP wrote:Skylar was pretty mediocre IMO. His deep passes are ducks and he holds the ball too long. He did move the team, but put zero points on the board. The excessive penalties were to blame on that one drive, but the bottom line is you need to score and Skylar didn't. I'm not blaming this loss on him by any means, but poor QB play has been a big part of the 3-game losing streak.

He looked light years ahead of Tua's rookie 1st start. Almost had as many yards prior to injury. Would have had more yards had refs called a decent game.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:38 pm

BTW don't look now, but Bailey Freaking Zappe is somehow lighting it up for the Pats and might even be better than Mac Jones. It's absolutely absurd how the other three AFC East teams can all have everything go their way while this team is the opposite.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:40 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
JMP wrote:Skylar was pretty mediocre IMO.  His deep passes are ducks and he holds the ball too long.  He did move the team, but put zero points on the board.  The excessive penalties were to blame on that one drive, but the bottom line is you need to score and Skylar didn't.  I'm not blaming this loss on him by any means, but poor QB play has been a big part of the 3-game losing streak.

He looked light years ahead of Tua's rookie 1st start. Almost had as many yards prior to injury. Would have had more yards had refs called a decent game.

How many of those calls looked legit to you? How many seemed like more NFL orchestrated shenanigans? I still say the current NFL conspiracy against the Fins is still very much in effect.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:48 pm

Even the current strength of the wins is taking a dive. Now the Ravens look like just another mediocre, non-playoff team getting worse for the third straight season, and we can't even feel all that great about beating them.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:47 pm

CarsonChris wrote:

Today Thompson looked light years ahead of Josh Allen's fist career start too. Hell, Tua's first start was also better than Allen's. But I'm not sure comparing Thompson to QBs that had terrible first games really means anything. Thompson was still mediocre and led his team to zero points. You want to tell me he played OK for a 7th round rookie making his fiorst start? That's absolutely fair and I'd agree...but it doesn't mean he was good enough.

I didn't have a problem with the refs today. The last few games, definitely. But today I thought the penalties were legit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:50 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:BTW don't look now, but Bailey Freaking Zappe is somehow lighting it up for the Pats and might even be better than Mac Jones. It's absolutely absurd how the other three AFC East teams can all have everything go their way while this team is the opposite.

Give a QB a running game and an OL, and he'll do good things. Zappe might have the weakest arm in the league, but he plays smart and gets the job done. He's playing well for them, unfortunately.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:51 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:

How many of those calls looked legit to you? How many seemed like more NFL orchestrated shenanigans? I still say the current NFL conspiracy against the Fins is still very much in effect.

I am on the conspiracy bandwagon, but the refs were fine today. I had no issues with any of the penalties...it was just a sloppy game by the Phins IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:52 pm

First Time I can Remember 3 Straight Games Started By Qb but Game ending with another Qb, That must be some kind of Record in a Bad Way. See How Good Gesicki Plays when Smythe is Out. Need Armstead & Jackson Back for Next Week and Time for Jones to do something.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:56 pm

Nik Needham out for the season with a torn Achilles. Keion Crossen left the game with a knee injury but I haven't heard any updates. And Kohou has an injury as well (inactive today.)The cornerbacks are dropping like flies.

I thought Iggy actually played well today - two passes defensed and as far as I noticed didn't give up any big plays. Then again, I was flipping around between the Red Zone Channel and the Dolphins game quite a bit, so maybe I missed something.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:56 pm

finskev wrote:First Time I can Remember 3 Straight Games Started By Qb but Game ending with another Qb, That must be some kind of Record in a Bad Way. See How Good Gesicki Plays when Smythe is Out. Need Armstead & Jackson Back for Next Week and Time for Jones to do something.

It's giving me '93 Fins' vibes when Marino went down, then Scott Mitchell, with third stringer Doug Pederson having to finish Shula's record-breaking win, and they wound up having to sign 39-year old Steve Deberg off the street.

Because I'm an NFL historian the '88 Browns also immediately popped into my head. That team had four QBs start at last one game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/1988.htm

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:57 pm

finskev wrote:First Time I can Remember 3 Straight Games Started By Qb but Game ending with another Qb, That must be some kind of Record in a Bad Way.

That's a great point. I wonder if that's ever happened in 3 straight games???

Gesicki was excellent today. Hopefully McDaniel continues to get him involved moving forward.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:59 pm

And now the Bills have figured out how to win close games, just to make things even worse than they already were.

I'm seriously wondering why I even bother with the NFL and sports anymore. It just doesn't seem to be worth the emotional investment. At all. I really do think you guys are the only reason I've even cared for this long.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:48 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:

I am on the conspiracy bandwagon, but the refs were fine today. I had no issues with any of the penalties...it was just a sloppy game by the Phins IMO.

I have never seen that many flags in a row ever. As they say, every play they can call holding on the offensive line but they don't. This time they did. Was bull shit!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:47 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
I'm seriously wondering why I even bother with the NFL and sports anymore. It just doesn't seem to be worth the emotional investment. At all. I really do think you guys are the only reason I've even cared for this long.

It's definitely not easy. Neutral

But with Tua coming back, I do still have hope for this season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:50 am

CarsonChris wrote:
JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:

I am on the conspiracy bandwagon, but the refs were fine today.  I had no issues with any of the penalties...it was just a sloppy game by the Phins IMO.

I have never seen that many flags in a row ever. As they say, every play they can call holding on the offensive line but they don't. This time they did. Was bull shit!

I've never seen anything like it either, but like I said they all seemed like legit calls to me. Maybe the offensive pass interference call on Ingold was a bit much, but he was actually blocking before the pass was thrown...even though it wasn't much of a block. The sad part is, those penalties negated a lot of big plays. That catch and run by Cracraft was awesome, but of course didn't count. That was a game-changer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:39 am

The ball boy better bust some balls. This nice guy bonding shit is great until it isn't. Don't be a door mat. Defense played great, offense moved the ball. Penalties and miscues killed us.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next