The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!

4 posters

Go down

INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!  Empty INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:17 am

Just wanted to let you guys know how I felt about this team and situation. I have a tendency to be vague and unclear sometimes.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!  Empty Re: INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!

Post by white1 Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Lol!

I’m okay with it all. I let myself feel the emotion yesterday I had fun yelling at the TV.

Too many flaws on this team. Let’s see what they do this off-season.
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!  Empty Re: INEXCUSABLE!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!! UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!

Post by JMP Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am

Injuries, horrible defense and special teams, suspect OL, no running game, garbage kicker, penalties, strange coaching decisions...all added up to a terrible collapse.

Crazy as it sounds, though, we can turn this around quickly without blowing things up - just need to make some smart moves this offseason. Step one and two are finding competent coaches for D and STs. That alone will make a huge difference.

McDaniel is a rookie head coach, so I'm not over concerned with him. He's a smart dude and he'll learn from his mistakes.

I've given up on this season, but I'm a Dolfan so my mantra is "Wait til next season!"

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:12 am

I mentioned this is another thread, but here's the season after some legendary late season collapses:

1992: 11-5, AFC Ch appearance
1994: 10-6, playoff win
1998: 10-6, playoff win
2000: 11-5, playoff win

All but one with the same staff that oversaw the collapse (and Wanny really was at least co-HC in 1999, I'm convinced of this) so yes, this could happen.

I stand by my statements of absolutely no more trading away draft picks and making preparations for a new GM to have total control in 2024. In short, I have my doubts.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:22 am

HalCHorn wrote:I mentioned this is another thread, but here's the season after some legendary late season collapses:

1992: 11-5, AFC Ch appearance
1994: 10-6, playoff win
1998: 10-6, playoff win
2000: 11-5, playoff win

All but one with the same staff that oversaw the collapse (and Wanny really was at least co-HC in 1999, I'm convinced of this) so yes, this could happen.

I stand by my statements of absolutely no more trading away draft picks and making preparations for a new GM to have total control in 2024.  In short, I have my doubts.

This team cannot afford to have Grier sticking around to ruin 2023. After a collapse of this magnitude, simply firing a coordinator or two isn't going to cut it. There's no guarantee Boyer/Crossman will even be fired and certainly no guarantee anyone better would be hired to replace them. All Grier's going to do if he stays is make yet more bumbling, boneheaded trades.

Also, it's a certainty that Waddle, Hill, or both will be injured for a significant portion of next season and if that happens this becomes the league's worst offense overnight.

This is what happens when a team goes all-in to win now and ends up not winning squat. Bash and trash the Rams all you want but at least they got a title for their trouble.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:29 am

Mando wrote on Twitter that "if McDaniel survives, no guarantee for Josh Boyer".

Sobering thought. Yes, I believe Ross is dumb and impatient enough to fire a promising coach after a bad losing streak. Yes, I think he could still want either Harbaugh or Payton.

If he fires McDaniel and keeps Grier it's criminal malpractice. The whole process in hiring McDaniel was keeping the defense intact. Obviously that philosophy in general was flawed - it was the weakest part of the team. McDaniel delivered in getting the most out of Tua and he leads the NFL in passer rating.

The lack of depth on this squad is terrible, and that falls squarely on Grier talent acquisition.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:31 am

white1 wrote:Mando wrote on Twitter that "if McDaniel survives, no guarantee for Josh Boyer".  

Sobering thought.  Yes, I believe Ross is dumb and impatient enough to fire a promising coach after a bad losing streak.  Yes, I think he could still want either Harbaugh or Payton.  

If he fires McDaniel and keeps Grier it's criminal malpractice.  The whole process in hiring McDaniel was keeping the defense intact.  Obviously that philosophy in general was flawed - it was the weakest part of the team.  McDaniel delivered in getting the most out of Tua and he leads the NFL in passer rating.

The lack of depth on this squad is terrible, and that falls squarely on Grier talent acquisition.

I love it when we're on the same side cheers cheers cheers

Another thing I read somewhere that I'd never even thought about before was someone pointing out that McDaniel and his staff had shown a complete inability to develop players. Just look at this joke of a rookie draft class. I saw that and instantly thought to myself, "This guy's right!"

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:37 am

McDaniel isn't getting fired - no chance. That isn't even on my radar and I don't think Ross is even considering it. Despite the collapse, he did something no other coach has been able to do in Miami since Marino's glory days: he gave us a legit scoring offense - and that's with no running game and a suspect OL. That alone makes McDaniel a keeper.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:38 am

Another thing I read somewhere that I'd never even thought about before was someone pointing out that McDaniel and his staff had shown a complete inability to develop players. Just look at this joke of a rookie draft class.

Interesting. WR Ezukanma is one example, and Channing Tindall is another.

However, the staff appears to have crafted an average o-line using largely random pieces and parts. With Armstead on the field, it goes from average to actually pretty good.

All in all mixed results, so could be development and could be talent I don't know yet. Kohou performance is another positive, while Holland seems to have taken a step back. The secondary coach we fired was probably a good coach.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:40 am

JMP wrote:McDaniel isn't getting fired - no chance.  That isn't even on my radar and I don't think Ross is even considering it.  Despite the collapse, he did something no other coach has been able to do in Miami since Marino's glory days: he gave us a legit scoring offense - and that's with no running game and a suspect OL.  That alone makes McDaniel a keeper.

But did he? Did he really? This team is averaging fewer points per game than the 2020 Chan Gailey/Fitz offense even WITH Hill and Waddle and Tua leading the league in passer rating.

I will say that I can't remember the last time the Fins scored at least 15 in every single game of a season so there's that. '84 maybe? scratch

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:41 am

white1 wrote:
Another thing I read somewhere that I'd never even thought about before was someone pointing out that McDaniel and his staff had shown a complete inability to develop players. Just look at this joke of a rookie draft class.

Interesting.  WR Ezukanma is one example, and Channing Tindall is another.

However, the staff appears to have crafted an average o-line using largely random pieces and parts.  With Armstead on the field, it goes from average to actually pretty good.

All in all mixed results, so could be development and could be talent I don't know yet.  Kohou performance is another positive, while Holland seems to have taken a step back.  The secondary coach we fired was probably a good coach.  

IMO the job Madison has done with the secondary under the circumstances has been a bright spot and whatever happens he should absolutely be kept on. It's not his fault the DC keeps putting his guys in horrible situations.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

But did he? Did he really?

Yes, he did. We are top 10 in points scored and total offensive TDs, and Tua still leads the NFL in yards per attempt and passer rating. All of those things are colossal steps in the right direction, and things most Dolfans would not have even imagined happening over the past couple of decades. Those are things we can improve on and continue to build on.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:48 am

When I said '84 I was *almost* right. The Fins actually managed at least 15 points in every game of the '95 season--the only time between '84 and now they did it.

https://stathead.com/tiny/uliXc

EDIT: Whoops, for some reason the above link included playoff games too, so technically the '95 team did not score at least 15 in every game--they beat the Chiefs 13-6. Unlike the mainstream media, I always strive for accuracy. Managing to do it for 16 games is still a lot in any case, though.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:05 am

Also, Fins and Chiefs are the only teams this season who have scored at least 15 in every game. The Bills might have done it too but well, you know...

https://stathead.com/tiny/Pzli1

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down