The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316 Empty Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:37 am

yes, i am poking the bear here (all in good fun - until someone loses an eye)...

The Dolphins selected Thompson just ahead of the 49ers' pick of quarterback Brock Purdy of Iowa State.

Thompson and Purdy are friends. They were Big 12 rivals and roommates at a college all-star game.

"He's a great, great person, great guy," Thompson said. "Not at all surprised that he's having success. When we played San Fran, we got to talk a little bit about the offensive schemes and just how that works."

The Dolphins' offense is built on 49ers' principles. Purdy is 4-0 as a 49ers' starter and 5-0 including his relief victory against Miami. Purdy has 10 touchdowns and three interceptions and if Purdy can gain a cult-hero following in The Bay, why can't South Florida Skylar?

"When I see Brock Purdy, I see Skylar," Dolphins receiver Trent Sherfield said.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/01/04/if-dolphins-skylar-thompson-starts-not-tua-or-teddy-miami-can-win/69775936007/

ah, how sweet Brock and Skylar are friends. i'm sure that warms the cockles of DF316's heart.

but here's the real reason i'm posting this. so in future when DF316 continues to rail about Miami overlooking Purdy, i want him to know just exactly who made that selection:

He was hand-picked by McDaniel and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell as a fit for this offense.

surprised it wasn't Grier? now i can't help but wonder, did Shanahan share the same opinion of Skylar and only selected Purdy after Thompson was scooped up by Miami - or was he relieved his former pupil made the mistake of taking Skylar over Purdy? i guess we'll never know. but this much is clear - McDaniel valued Skylar over Brock.

and i suppose we could argue that it all really doesn't matter and isn't worth the effort of fretting over a couple a 7th round pick. but then again, it does matter - as both ended up starting for their respective teams: one leading and advancing a strong playoff contender - and the other hoping to show just enough to keep his team's slim playoff hopes alive. in the end, the both mattered very much.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316 Empty Re: Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316

Post by JMP Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:53 am

Good stuff, merc!

I suspect most QBs not named Trey Lance would have success in the 49ers offense. Purdy has done an admirable job for sure, but he has the benefit of a very strong run game and easy dump-off passes to CMC...which then opens things up for guys like Kittle and Aiyuk (and Deebo, when he gets back on the field). Not to mention an excellent defense. Purdy has done exactly what's asked of him, and that's great, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's the next great NFL QB. He's in a fantastic situation for a rookie QB.

Anyway, I don't care about Brock Purdy. I care about Skylar Thompson beating the Jets. Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316 Empty Re: Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:42 am

I agree with JMP. Shanahan has A LOT to do with Purdy's success. He seems to be tailoring the play calls to Purdy's strengths and calling the plays to keep him managing the game. In the Raiders game, after a Purdy INT, the color guy was lauding Shanahan for giving Purdy easy passes for completions to get his confidence back.

I have said it before and will say it again: If Skylar was in San Fran, he would be having the same success as Purdy IMO.

McD seems to be calling plays like he had the best QB in the world running the offense without regard to who is actually playing; Tua, Turdy, or Skylar.

Although, I will say, there does seem to be a strategy by the defense to take away the first read and force the Miami QB to hold the ball and with the state of the Phins Oline, he pass rush is getting there, so...

I am not seeing the much needed adjustments to the defense from McD?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:20 am

I think McD is continuing to play to the team's strength - and ultimately, that means throwing the ball to Hill and Waddle. He's certainly placed more emphasis on the run game of late, by necessity, but any success this offense has will go through the two WRs. I do think we could see more creativity and consistency with the playcalling for sure, especially short-yardage, but overall I can't really fault McD for running the offense through his best players.

If we could cut out the penalties, get better OL play, and stop throwing INTs...well, the Phins would be kicking ass on offense and McD would look like a genius again! But with a backup LT and 3rd string rookie QB, it's more likely that we'll continue to struggle on offense. Hopefully, this team can dig deep and pull out all the stops to get a victory this weekend.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:42 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35559440/source-49ers-qb-brock-purdy-torn-ucl-right-elbow

Niners rookie quarterback Brock Purdy suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow that will keep him out for six months, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday. Based on that timeline, Purdy could return around the start of training camp or, perhaps, a couple of weeks into it.

Crying or Very sad  Some people are even saying that Purdy could miss the full season depending on what the ligament looks like when they do the surgery.  Just awful.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 am

Dang. I watched the last throw Purdy made at the end of the game. All velocity was gone. The players want to go even when injured.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:09 am

Skylar flexes his arm and looks around the locker room, "Yep, my elbow's just fine." Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316 1f604

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:07 am

CarsonChris wrote:Dang. I watched the last throw Purdy made at the end of the game. All velocity was gone. The players want to go even when injured.

The announcers said that McCaffrey was the third QB! I would have put him at QB after Johnson got hurt. It was pointless to bring Purdy back in the game when he obviously couldn't throw. The game was over by that point anyway, so why risk possible further injury to Purdy?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:07 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Skylar flexes his arm and looks around the locker room, "Yep, my elbow's just fine."   Brock Purdy - a love story for DF316 1f604

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:10 am

DEVASTATING!!! HEARTBREAKING!!! UTTERLY SOUL CRUSHING!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Is he the modern day Virgil Carter? (Hal knows who I'm talking about.)

You were an inspiration to us all, Brock Purdy. (Whispers.) An inspiration to us all...

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a few pillows to weep into.

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 am

A Virgil Carter reference, I just cannot out-do that today.  Kudos sir!

We didn't have much luck with John Beck from BYU, Carter's alma mater, but Jalen Hall is a sleeper at QB this year even if he is 25.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:27 am

I am unworthy! (bows before DF316 and Hal)

I'll admit it. I had to go look up Carter.

Virgil Carter Wiki

Dude was going to school for his Masters while playing for the Bears, and then while in Cincinnati with the Bengals TAUGHT statistics and mathematics at Xavier University.

An athlete and a scholar!!

Plus...

Carter is credited as one of the founding developers of a metric in football known as "Expected Points". Under the advising of Northwestern University professor Robert E. Machol, Carter analyzed over 8000 plays from the 1969 NFL season, averaging results of 10-yard strips to determine the expected number of points a team should generate from each position on the field. This work was later expanded in several works (Carroll, Palmer, and Thorn - Hidden Game of Football, Yurko et al. - nflWAR) and is the foundation of several aspects of analytics in the game.

Purdy - Yeah, that was a shame, but I doubt it would have mattered in the end. The Iggles is tough on D.
I sure hope Purdy is able to come back and that eventually Skylar gets to beat him in the Super Bowl one year and end the whole "Skylar-Brock" debate once and for all!!! Smile

On another note: I heard a radio caller the other day talking about how there is obviously something wrong with the 49ers QB protection scheme as they have FOUR QBs injured. Lance is a runner, Jimmy G is a major injury case, but Purdy and Johnson both got slobber-knocked in less than max protect situations. One slobber-knocker was when a 49ers backup TE was "trying" to block a pass rusher with 17 or so sacks IIRC!!!

That is sort of like expecting Gesicki to block a known pass rusher!! scratch Rolling Eyes

Again, the IGGLES are a sack machine, so... Still both of the 49ers QBs got smack-jobbed running the "Shanahan" offense. And the 49ers Oline is sorta good, so...

Is there a lesson in there for McD and staff seeing as they have a QB that needs to avoid getting smacked, ruffled, or even jostled a bit?

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:33 am

I read the same thing about the Shanahan scheme and how people are now blaming it on not protecting the QB enough. There may be some merit to it.

Washing my pillows today BTW. Not the pillowcases, the actual pillows. They are all completely soaked somehow...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:32 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I read the same thing about the Shanahan scheme and how people are now blaming it on not protecting the QB enough. There may be some merit to it.

I don't know...watching 49ers games I don't see them having any worse protection than other teams. Without looking up stats I'd probably guess that 49ers QBs faced less pressure than most this season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down