The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Brock Freaking Purdy...

5 posters

Go down

If Brock Freaking Purdy... Empty If Brock Freaking Purdy...

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:39 pm

Actually gets the 49ers to the playoffs and wins a game or two, especially if the Fins miss the playoffs entirely, then Grier needs to be fired. Period. Point blank.

He needs to be anyway but the above happening would be the proverbial final straw, especially after he passed up Purdy for a QB who plays the position about as well as any of us would! I legit never want to see Skylar Thompson taking another snap in the NFL again.

BROCK FREAKING PURDY!!! SERIOUSLY?!?!

(Takes deep breaths.) Okay okay...I will try my best not to dwell on this. I might not succeed, but I'll try.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

If Brock Freaking Purdy... Empty Re: If Brock Freaking Purdy...

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:10 am

Brock Purdy has absolutely nothing to do with Grier.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 pm

JMP wrote:Brock Purdy has absolutely nothing to do with Grier.

Except for Grier thinking Skylar Thompson was better and completely whiffing to the point where it cost this team a game...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:07 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Brock Purdy has absolutely nothing to do with Grier.

Except for Grier thinking Skylar Thompson was better and completely whiffing to the point where it cost this team a game...

Maybe you should start a thread about how all 32 NFL GMs passed over Purdy 261 times! jocolor

Probably also best to see what Purdy does the rest of the way before deciding how good or bad he actually is.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:15 pm

JMP wrote:Probably also best to see what Purdy does the rest of the way before deciding how good or bad he actually is.  

You don't understand, if Purdy IS bad the rest of the way that's even WORSE than if he gets the 49ers to the playoffs and wins a game or two. It would mean this D got schooled and tooled by a complete scrub, while at the same time hammering home even more what a complete whiff the Skylar pick was and how Grier could've taken Purdy instead who I said was better at the time.

Imagine if the Fins go from 8-3 to out of the playoffs, with the 7th round rookie QB Grier passed up for another who stinks starting the chain reaction? How can you keep him after THAT??? Not to mention it would be the third consecutive playoff miss after the supposed 'rebuild".

Having a no-brainer first round QB pick pan out isn't good enough, a GM still needs to actually build a good team around him. Just ask Ryan Grigson. And Luck at least won multiple playoff games.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:23 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:a GM still needs to actually build a good team around him.

Grier has done that - and it's just the first season of the McDaniel era. This is the best roster we've had in decades, and it is absolutely playoff-caliber already. Still a lot of games left to play to see where we end up, but Grier has assembled a top 5 offense and a defense loaded with good players (even if the DC doesn't know what to do with them). Now is not the time for "Grier sucks" chants.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:29 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:a GM still needs to actually build a good team around him.

Grier has done that - and it's just the first season of the McDaniel era.  This is the best roster we've had in decades, and it is absolutely playoff-caliber already.  Still a lot of games left to play to see where we end up, but Grier has assembled a top 5 offense and a defense loaded with good players (even if the DC doesn't know what to do with them).  Now is not the time for "Grier sucks" chants.

Is it??? Is it really??? Aside from Hill and Waddle and Mr. Glass Armstead, what else do the Fins have? Phillips and Holland are decent, but they can't keep this team from being one of the worst Ds of all time when they play on the road. Howard's the closest thing to a star, but he seems to be on this perpetual "good season, bad season" yo yo. The O-line still stinks (and is still stocked with Grier picks, go figure). The running game is still nonexistant just like it's been for years. This is basically the '86-91 Fins all over again (and I notice you liked that post). The backup QB situation is a joke, probably the worst in the league. Special teams isn't that special.

Now teams like the 49ers and Eagles and Cowboys and Bills and Bengals and Chiefs? They've got strong rosters.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:42 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:what else do the Fins have?

#1 offense in yards per pass attempt
#2 offense in passing yards
#2 offense in first downs and first down percentage
#2 offense in plays of 20+ yards
#2 offense in plays of 40+ yards
#3 offense in TDs
#5 offense in overall passer rating
#7 offense in fewest sacks allowed

But I suppose none of that has anything to do with Grier.

Let's face it: we've been destroying Dolphins GMs for YEARS because we've had bottom of the barrel offenses every single season. Now, in just one offseason, we've gone from one of the worst to one of the best - because of moves Grier made: hiring McDaniel, drafting Tua and Waddle, signing Armstead, Williams, Ingold, Sherfield, Cracraft, Shell and Mostert, trading for Hill and Wilson. Again, now is not the time to call for Grier's head - those days are gone. This is one of the best rosters in the NFL, top to bottom. Not an easy thing to do in the free agency/salary cap era.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 pm

To be fair on Purdy, it was considered a pretty big surprise that he didn't go in the middle rounds. I don't recall him being considered a first round pick at any time, but I kept seeing him considered to be a good value in the 3rd/4th in several pre draft evaluations. I heard far more about him than Thompson, during the college years and in the lead up to the draft.

Now, did we choose the wrong developmental QB? Time will tell. A year ago everyone felt we had whiffed on Tua vs. Herbert, big time, but that looks far more open to debate now than it did then.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:13 pm

#1 offense in yards per pass attempt
#2 offense in passing yards
#2 offense in first downs and first down percentage
#2 offense in plays of 20+ yards
#2 offense in plays of 40+ yards
#3 offense in TDs
#5 offense in overall passer rating
#7 offense in fewest sacks allowed

But I suppose none of that has anything to do with Grier.

Let's face it: we've been destroying Dolphins GMs for YEARS because we've had bottom of the barrel offenses every single season. Now, in just one offseason, we've gone from one of the worst to one of the best - because of moves Grier made: hiring McDaniel, drafting Tua and Waddle, signing Armstead, Williams, Ingold, Sherfield, Cracraft, Shell and Mostert, trading for Hill and Wilson. Again, now is not the time to call for Grier's head - those days are gone. This is one of the best rosters in the NFL, top to bottom. Not an easy thing to do in the free agency/salary cap era.

I will agree with this. Grier did a hell of a job fixing the offense, including on the coaching staff.

I'm not greedy, I only want two things added to this team:

1. An O line that can run block at a respectable level. I'm not talking Ravens or Titans caliber running, but the goal has to be average. We are horrible running the ball, and will definitely need that component to in our attack for cold weather or inclement weather games.

2. A new defensive coordinator. My opinion of Boyer is so low at this point, I can imagine McDaniel has five names of defensive coaches he's worked with in the past ready to get a shot at being a full time coordinator. Or, a defensive guy he's worked with that has been a head coach and failed, and is interested in coming to Miami. My point is I think there's plenty of room for an upgrade and very little downside risk. I'd make a change after this season - and almost any viable candidate looks like an opportunity to improve. Most likely, a lot of our defensive assistants can stay - we just need a better scheme.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:26 pm

We know the Fins have a History of being Schooled by backup Quarterbacks like what happened Yesterday.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:39 pm

finskev wrote:We know the Fins have a History of being Schooled by backup Quarterbacks like what happened Yesterday.

Really curious to see how this D plays against Herbert. He's become the dink and dunk master, but he'll find the open receivers if the Phins continue to play this damn soft coverage.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down