The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team

5 posters

Go down

Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team Empty Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:58 am

cause i know y'all care what I think... Very Happy

In thinking about the Dolphins off-season needs, I found it easier to determine what they don’t need (a much shorter list). On offense, with Hill and Waddle (assuming he cures his dropsy issue), I think it is safe to say that WR is not a priority. Yes, someone with some size would be nice or perhaps a possession receiver (can we hope Ezukanma might learn more than one position so he can see the field?). Or maybe a 3rd WR that isn’t a $22M free agent backup punt returner – but Wilson isn’t going anywhere based on his cap hit. But in the end, there are just so many other needs I can’t see spending a ton of resources on another WR. Tua is the QB for 2023 and hopefully beyond, but a contract extension and his long term health will be the final determinant on that – and that is 2024 business. They must decide whether to roll with Skylar as the no. 2 and/or bring in veteran competition. Center is another one where Williams may not be perfect, but the needs are so great elsewhere that he’ll do for now. And Miami seems determined to keep Hunt at RG instead of developing him as a RT. So that’s it for offense.

Armstead is hugely talented at LT and Miami is invested in him, but it is clear he most likely will never give them a fully healthy 17 game season. Combine that with the rotating free agent door at RT (despite the fact that Shell did reasonably ok considering the circumstances) coupled with Austin Jackson’s inability to stay healthy (and play with any strength) and I believe OT is an offensive priority. And while we’re looking at the o-line, LG is in dire need of an upgrade as well (perhaps to be manned by the OT candidate while Armstead is healthy and if RT is satisfied by Jackson/Shell/Lamm competition). The top 3 RBs on Miami’s roster are all FAs, however, I have faith in the Shanahan-inspired running game to find a more than capable runner late in the draft – they’ve done this so many times before. And last but not least, TE – and I assuming that McDaniel’s system will utilize a TE (although 2022 didn’t seem to indicate that). Apparently Miami wants a complete TE – not just a pass catcher – who can both block and beat coverage over the middle with precise routes. Those guys don’t come along everyday, but perhaps Miami can develop one while the guys on the roster hold down the fort.

So on offense I would rank the priorities as OT, TE, LG and RBs (plural). To a lesser degree they need to focus on backup QB competition and 4th and 5th (maybe elevated to 3rd) WR.

Now defense is a whole different story and that tale can’t really be told until Boyer’s fate is decided – if it is to be decided at all. Assuming for now they keep the status quo (mistake), I think they are set at OLB with Phillips and Chubb. Wilkins is certainly a building block piece, but just exactly how he is used (primarily at DT, NT or DE) depends on the pieces they put around him. Holland seems to be a piece destined for almost greatness at times and while Baker has his often exploited limitations, the Phins seemed committed to him as a team leader. I don’t think they have much choice (financially) in moving on from X Howard and must just hope and pray he returns to full health – and find a coverage scheme that makes him happy. Davis and Sieler are certainly strong pieces of the front line rotation, but I believe both of them would benefit from some additional players to compliment them so they didn’t always have to carry to full burden – and while both flash, neither is a dynamic pass rushing/run stuffing star in the making.

Among the top priorities to cure Miami’s anemic pass rush is the need for a true stud DE. They paid Ogbah (and he’ll be around), but will he ever be an every down threat that offenses must account for – or even just return to his previous abilities? Even with Ogbah, I believe another true DE is needed (they tried with Flowers and Ingram). This would also allow Wilkins to kick inside more and I believe open the edge even more for Chubb and Phillips. At least one more ILB is needed unless Tindall develops – but he reminds me more of another Baker than a inside thumper. But Boyer’s scheme seems to rely more on the SS to cover the deficiencies of the ILB. Will Brandon Jones return to reform and in either case, another S is needed even if its just initially as a backup. And finally, and perhaps the most critical is a new young outside coverage corner to replace what Bryon Jones was supposed to be. Hopefully Needham can return (most likely on a 1 year prove it deal) and Kohou can compete or perhaps supplant him in the slot while backing up the outside.

So on defense I would rank the priorities as CB, DE, S and ILB, but the relative ranking could change depending if the defensive system (Boyer) changes or not.

Overall, I am currently feeling CB, DE, OT/LG and TE as the most pressing – and would allow the talent available to dictate what gets addressed in what order (FA and draft) – but certainly the other positions of need can not be ignored.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team Empty Re: Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:01 am

mercury22nathan wrote:cause i know y'all care what I think... Very Happy

We do and you need to post more often like you've been doing lately! cheers cheers cheers

Also I would at least make a run at Tony Pollard. LB is a higher priority for me--and perhaps for the team IRL as well, let's not forget that's the direction they went with the first pick in the last draft. I wouldn't even say WR was fine either, I guarantee either Waddle, Hill or both will get hurt next season and without them this group's got pretty much nothing. Did you know Sherfield had the 3rd most receptions by a WR on this team with just 30? In today's NFL your #3 wideout CANNOT average less than 2 catches per game, especially not with the TE position producing just 48 catches for the season as well. That's the entire position group BTW not just Gesicki.

And yes, O-line O-line O-line. Because in this hypothetical universe the Fins actually kinda sorta know how to evaluate O-line talent.

IMO the DB group should actually be pretty much set once the MASH unit gets well. Jones goes, and someone else gets added but I wouldn't go crazy here especially considering the other needs.

But above all else, NO MORE INJURY PRONE PLAYERS!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team Empty Re: Dolphins' 23 needs - if I ran the team

Post by HalCHorn Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:34 pm

realistic TE candidates: Most realistic might be Sam LaPorta who like the 49ers George Kittle hails from Iowa. Not much of a blocker but likely a better route runner than Gesicki, which apparently was an issue with this system.

Elsewhere: good blocker and matchup nightmare Darnell Washington would take our first pick, if he's even there at 52. Brevyn Spann-Ford can likely be taken sometime in the third round, is a similar player and fit. Kincaid is a pure receiver, Musgrave great while he was out there but only played two games due to injury (might fall due to that, but would give me pause). Either could slide.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:49 pm

Outstanding post, merc! Love the thought process!

merc wrote:on offense I would rank the priorities as OT, TE, LG and RBs (plural)

All priorities for sure. I'd rank them in order of importance as LG, TE, OT, RB.
--At LG, I've seen enough of Eich to want him gone. He may stick just because he's young and cheap, but he can't be a starter. Jones is better, but still not really starting material. So I think an upgrade is a huge need. As you mentioned, a possibility is drafting a guy that can play inside for a year or two and then slide to LT when Armstead retires. Or, we could look to add a veteran guard in free agency. Either way, IMO our starting LG is not on the current roster.
--At RT I think, as you said, re-signing Shell and/or allowing AJax or Lamm to compete could be an enticing option in a cap-strapped season. Tackle depth is clearly a necessity, but again, if we have those three guys competing that should at least give us one-year placeholders at starting and backup tackles.
--TE - Smythe is the only known quantity here, with Gesicki walking, Long sucking, and Conner still developing. I'd keep Smythe for a year and develop Conner, and bring in a veteran TE that fits what McDaniel wants. Maybe draft someone to take Long's role and hopefully develop, and dump Long.
--RB - Step one is re-signing Mostert. He's a keeper. I'd look to the draft for a guy that could compete right away and eventually start. I'm not opposed to re-signing Wilson too.
--WR - we have enough youth there with EZ and Sanders that I don't see it as a huge need, but I would definitely re-sign Sherfield. That's a priority.

merc wrote:On defense I would rank the priorities as CB, DE, S and ILB, but the relative ranking could change depending if the defensive system (Boyer) changes or not.

Yes, knowing the defensive system first is key. But as things stand now, I do agree with your listing.
--CB - we need a starter opposite X. I'm not sure that's Needham (who is better inside IMO) or Kohou (probably best as a dime/4th corner), so we'd have to look outside the roster. Draft is preferable, since any decent FA corner will be super expensive.
--DE - I think a healthy Ogbah could be the short-term answer here. FF's guy Sheldon Rankins could be a free agent fit if the Jets let him walk. I'm sure we could also find a big body later in the draft to take some early snaps and hopefully develop. Keep in mind that we use OLBs as pass rushers, so the DE can be a bigger, 3-4 type...and you can always find those guys late if you're not looking for a big-time pass rusher.
--S - We really, really need a healthy Brandon Jones. He was on the cusp of becoming a great player before his injury, and when he's in the game he makes Holland so much better. I expect Rowe to walk in free agency, so we do absolutely have a need. Trill Williams may be the answer, but I'd look for a decently-priced veteran, and there should be a lot of them available this offseason.
--ILB - I'm a much bigger fan of Baker's than most people, and I'm totally fine with keeping him. I thought Elandon Roberts had a strong season but may leave in free agency. Duke Riley was a very good backup IMO, but may also leave in free agency. So depending on player status, this could be a big need even though it isn't a priority position in the Boyer system.
--OLB - AVG probably gets a good deal in FA, so we will need depth here.

I think I'd rank LG and CB as the highest priorities overall.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:19 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Grier was saying Eichenberg and Jackson are all pro players. Surprised they aren't voted into the hall of fame early. We don't need linemen when we have those two. Heck, Eichenberg is so good he can play guard and LT at the same time! All aboard Grier's offensive line train!

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 am

LOL Grier didn't exactly say that!

Bottom line: they are both young, cheap players and will have an opportunity to compete for roster spots. But the OL will absolutely be addressed in the offseason, and my guess is we'll have two new starters.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:00 am

JMP wrote:LOL Grier didn't exactly say that!

Bottom line: they are both young, cheap players and will have an opportunity to compete for roster spots.  But the OL will absolutely be addressed in the offseason, and my guess is we'll have two new starters.

The sad part is, when I did mock drafts with the current picks Grier has, I just couldn't find the chance to even draft an O-lineman. They were all either rated too low for where I was picking or other positions (coughTEandCBcough) were bigger needs. Only four picks and the first one not coming until 52 will do that.

BTW I've seen Mike Hughes suggested as a possible FA CB for the Fins to sign, what do you guys think? Keep in mind Grier's in no position to give out a huge deal to anybody.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:18 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

BTW I've seen Mike Hughes suggested as a possible FA CB for the Fins to sign, what do you guys think? Keep in mind Grier's in no position to give out a huge deal to anybody.

Solid player for sure, but I think he may be a slot corner. I could be wrong about that, but if he is then we really don't need him. Needham (if re-signed) and Kohou are both best suited as slot corners.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down