The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bailey calls out Pats' strength staff

2 posters

Go down

Bailey calls out Pats' strength staff Empty Bailey calls out Pats' strength staff

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:40 pm

the Phins new punter blames the Pats' squat routine for his injuries/struggles.

So, where did things go wrong for Bailey in New England? The fifth-year punter appeared to put the blame on the Patriots' strength and conditioning program for emphasizing squats in his workouts.

"A lot of it had to do with squatting a ton," Bailey told reporters Wednesday in a video press conference. "I did not grow up squatting, loading my back with back squats. I didn't do it at all in college, and then I really didn't do it my first three years in the league. And I kind of tried to start something new, trying to be more a part of the program. And it just really backfired the whole season I was doing it.

"It really made my accuracy struggle, and it just was kind of a sad, sad thing to have happen."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/jake-bailey-claims-patriots-strength-program-played-role-2022-struggles?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

i don't really have an opinion here, but i would be curious to know if it normal for punters to do heavy squatting? i would imagine just like a golf swing or a baseball batter there is a fine balance between raw strength and controlled momentum. but if the results speak for themselves (no squats first three years and he was pretty darn good and then came the squats and his game went down the tubes), then i would recommend he not do any squats in Miami.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bailey calls out Pats' strength staff Empty Re: Bailey calls out Pats' strength staff

Post by JMP Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:the Phins new punter blames the Pats' squat routine for his injuries/struggles.

So, where did things go wrong for Bailey in New England? The fifth-year punter appeared to put the blame on the Patriots' strength and conditioning program for emphasizing squats in his workouts.

"A lot of it had to do with squatting a ton," Bailey told reporters Wednesday in a video press conference. "I did not grow up squatting, loading my back with back squats. I didn't do it at all in college, and then I really didn't do it my first three years in the league. And I kind of tried to start something new, trying to be more a part of the program. And it just really backfired the whole season I was doing it.

"It really made my accuracy struggle, and it just was kind of a sad, sad thing to have happen."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/jake-bailey-claims-patriots-strength-program-played-role-2022-struggles?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

i don't really have an opinion here, but i would be curious to know if it normal for punters to do heavy squatting?  i would imagine just like a golf swing or a baseball batter there is a fine balance between raw strength and controlled momentum.  but if the results speak for themselves (no squats first three years and he was pretty darn good and then came the squats and his game went down the tubes), then i would recommend he not do any squats in Miami.

Interesting. I would think targeted leg work would be much beneficial than squats. I'm no expert, but I can't imagine why a punter would need to squat.

Let's just hope Bailey returns to form!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down