The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins running game

+5
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
Umix10
finfanatic
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dolphins running game Empty Dolphins running game

Post by JMP Fri May 26, 2023 11:58 am

I saw this tweet and wondered what we can expect from the Dolphins running game in year 2 of the McDaniel scheme:

While I still think the offense is set to go through the WRs, I do expect McD to call running plays much more frequently.  I doubt we'd all of a sudden become a top 5 running team, but I think there will be a vast improvement due to more of a commitment to the run.  Mostert and Wilson both averaged almost 5 yards a carry in 2022, and even with more usage I think they can stay near that average.  I expect Saubert to give the run game a big boost too, as he is capable of sealing the edge - something that we just couldn't do last season.  And of course, a lot depends on the health of the OL - we need consistency along the line to have consistency in the run game.

But the key to the run game for me is really short yardage.  The inability to pick up 1-2 yards killed us way too many times in year 1.  I think Achane - even though he's smaller - can help a lot in that area because he is a tackle-breaker, and I'd also like to see Ingold get some carries.  If we sign Cook, it is problem solved from day 1 - but if not, I'd keep an eye on undrafted free agent RB Chris Brooks.  He's a big dude and seems very physical.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Dolphins running game Empty Re: Dolphins running game

Post by finfanatic Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am

JMP, when the defense KNOWS you're going to run the ball, the Oline HAS to be able to BEAT the defense man to man and that is just not getting done with the Phins Oline IMO.

I know you do not think the Oline is THAT BIG A PROBLEM, but IMHO, it is the one thing keeping this team from being a super bowl contender.

I HOPE we see some improvement(s) this year, but other than some different backups....
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon May 29, 2023 12:48 am

To be honest, I dont think the Dolphins have an issue with the running game. I really think this is a by product of a rookie head coach/offensive coordinator/game manager thrust into a pressure cooker. On paper in SF, he was the offensive coordinator but he ultimately was not calling the plays. McD by his own admission said that he didn't run the ball enough. Which means playcalling was an issue. 4.9 and 4.5 from Mostert and Wilson. Very respectable in my opinion and tells me that the players executed when the play was called for the most part.

Could the line be better? Sure absolutely! But, if you are gonna play that game then play this one. What if Tua actually dumped the ball off? What if McD actually called more run plays? What if Sherfield doesnt drop the TD on the Goaline......etc etc etc.

Umix10
Umix10

JMP, DolFan 316 and Umix10 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 30, 2023 9:09 am

JMP wrote:But the key to the run game for me is really short yardage.  The inability to pick up 1-2 yards killed us way too many times in year 1.  I think Achane - even though he's smaller - can help a lot in that area because he is a tackle-breaker, and I'd also like to see Ingold get some carries.  If we sign Cook, it is problem solved from day 1 - but if not, I'd keep an eye on undrafted free agent RB Chris Brooks.  He's a big dude and seems very physical.

i agree that short yardage was a huge problem, but i am not convinced it was the fault of the runners.

The Dolphins were tied for 18th in yards per attempt (4.3) but McDaniel has said he could have made a more consistent effort to prioritize running. Miami ranked 12th in pass attempts but 31st in run attempts, despite Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson Jr. both averaging at least 4.7 yards per attempt.

The Dolphins ranked last in third-and-short situations with a 45 percent conversion rate and were even worse when attempting runs (44 percent).

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article275738971.html#

when defenses were worried about Hill and Waddle, the Phins could run just fine (albeit infrequently), but when the defenses knew the Phins needed those short few yards, the o-line couldn't get it blocked despite having runners who clearly could gain yards on the ground. with essentially the same/similar starting personnel on the line, the only significant change is the o-line coach. i hope that is enough to make a difference.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 am

where i am hopeful Achane makes a difference is attacking the short field on screens and middle curls.

https://twitter.com/DeSenaSports/status/1653595782946385922?s=20

those heat maps really tell the story where the Phins offense lacked. if Achane can fill those short blue areas, the defenses won't be able to neutralize Tua like they did in the Rams and Chargers' games.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 30, 2023 12:23 pm

finfanatic wrote:JMP, when the defense KNOWS you're going to run the ball, the Oline HAS to be able to BEAT the defense man to man and that is just not getting done with the Phins Oline IMO.

I know you do not think the Oline is THAT BIG A PROBLEM, but IMHO, it is the one thing keeping this team from being a super bowl contender.

I HOPE we see some improvement(s) this year, but other than some different backups....

A lot of it has to do with continuity. At times last season we were using 4th or 5th string players at LT, LG and/or RT - several times players that had been with the Dolphins for days, not even weeks. Injuries are a part of the game, but I don't recall ever seeing that many injuries at multiple OL positions (both starters and all levels of backups) in one season. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I absolutely do not anticipate the same amount of injuries in the coming season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:50 pm

JMP wrote:Maybe I'll be wrong, but I absolutely do not anticipate the same amount of injuries in the coming season.

You and Grier both because that seems to be the basis of all his decisions (SO FAR) on the Oline.

I don't see much available that would be a TERRIFIC upgrade even if the Phins got that Byron Jones Cap money to spend??
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:02 pm

finfanatic wrote:
JMP wrote:Maybe I'll be wrong, but I absolutely do not anticipate the same amount of injuries in the coming season.

You and Grier both because that seems to be the basis of all his decisions (SO FAR) on the Oline.

I don't see much available that would be a TERRIFIC upgrade even if the Phins got that Byron Jones Cap money to spend??

I really don't know what more Grier could have done this offseason, short of vastly overpaying for a mediocre free agent or overdrafting a lineman that might not even be better than what we currently have. He did add three veteran OL in free agency, two of whom have extensive starting experience at multiple positions, and drafted a project from a big-time college program. Also, Eich and Jackson are both healthy now - with Jackson appearing to be in the best shape of his young career. Really, we are just talking about two positions on the OL (LG and RT) and a backup LT. All of those positions were addressed this offseason. You can argue over the value of players like Wynn and Feeney, but the needs were addressed.

Moving forward, unless an unexpected top-shelf OL gets cut or becomes available via trade, the Dolphins are done adding veterans to the line.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:29 am

SO...somehow, some way, Cook has not been traded or cut, and now Florio has decided to shift the narrative to...saying the Vikings should keep him, analytics be damned! Suddenly Cook is a huge asset now, too funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/05/are-vikings-torn-on-whether-to-move-on-from-dalvin-cook/

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:08 am

LOL

Hey Mike Florio:

Dolphins running game Jackass-you-remind-me-of-a-jackass

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:39 pm

Vikings plan on releasing Cook tomorrow. Maybe. After an all-night vigil desperately hoping and praying some team is dumb enough to still trade for him. Media is having a vigil of their own desperately trying to will Cook to the Fins so that one of their preconceived narratives about this team is actually true for once.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/06/vikings-to-release-rb-dalvin-cook

DolFan 316

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:50 am

Cook is a home run hitter. He gained 1450 yards last season but also led the NFL in runs with no gain or loss of yards. The problem is he takes a lot of snaps to get production and leaves the QB with a lot of 3rd and long situations between the home run runs.

Tua is similar to Cook. He does best when he's constantly given the opportunity to make plays. Lots of dinks before he hits the big play. He's also a rhythm QB.

If Cook is here he needs the ball. This may be a detriment to Tua.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:52 am

CarsonChris wrote:Cook is a home run hitter. He gained 1450 yards last season but also led the NFL in runs with no gain or loss of yards. The problem is he takes a lot of snaps to get production and leaves the QB with a lot of 3rd and long situations between the home run runs.

Tua is similar to Cook. He does best when he's constantly given the opportunity to make plays. Lots of dinks before he hits the big play. He's also a rhythm QB.

If Cook is here he needs the ball. This may be a detriment to Tua.

Interesting take and it does make sense.

I think that at some point, something has to give with this offense. The weekly gameplan can't be throw the ball deep a million times and sprinkle in runs. That's just not sustainable. The short passing game and the running game MUST become a bigger part of the offense. Moving the chains is just as important as completing bombs.

Toward that end, I think that's why the Phins drafted RB Achane and signed TE Saubert. Both players will help in both areas - with short passes and runs. And in OTAs, it sounds like there is emphasis on getting FB Ingold more involved in the passing game. So all those things will help.

What will help even more is having a legit stud RB in the backfield. Mostert and Wilson are nice players, but they are not Dalvin Cook. Cook is a legit workhorse and playmaker, and the Dolphins don't have anyone like him on the roster. I totally get what you are saying about "rhythm", but IMO having a back like Cook will actually help Tua's rhythm. RPOs and playaction are a staple of this offsense, but without a legit running threat that scares the defense, you can only do so much. If teams really have to fear the running game and keep more defenders near the line to account for Cook, Tua all of a sudden becomes even more deadly because he get more open looks. That in turn will open more holes for Cook.

So ultimately, I think both players would benefit greatly from being on the same team. We'll see what happens if the Vikes actually do release Cook today. I suspect the Phins will be interested, but so will other teams. Ultimately, money talks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:31 pm

Wow, they actually did it. A part of me had serious doubts.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/06/latest-on-dalvin-cooks-vikings-departure

Some interesting tidbits here...

When discussing Cook’s release on the Rich Eisen Show, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero noted that the Vikings never offered a pay cut to the four-time Pro Bowler. Cook, 27, was due a base salary of $10.4MM in 2023, with a scheduled cap hit of just over $14.1MM. Lowering those figures through a restructure could have extended his Minnesota tenure, but the team made a two-year commitment to Mattison in March, signaling their intent to shed costs at the RB position.

I've been told this entire time that Cook refused to take a pay cut, but now the truth comes out. The Vikings never did want him this season at all, and held onto him this long out of nothing but sheer spite.

Still, Minnesota explored the idea of a re-worked Cook deal (along with a trade) for months, as detailed by Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Pelissero adds that Cook had no desire to work out a restructure as part of a trade, a stance which has now left him free to join the team of his choice. His free agent process will be worth watching, though it may not develop with much urgency.

Good for Cook, I say!!!  cheers  cheers  cheers THIS is how a player should exercise his free will, not by silly holdouts that accomplish nothing. He knew they wanted to get rid of him, so he rightfully didn't budge from the contract EVERYONE involved agreed to. Maybe he'll get paid around that much by another team, maybe not, but at least he gets to negotiate a brand new contract that by definition he would approve of.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweets that Cook – who is due $2MM in guranteed money from the Vikings – “plans to be patient in waiting for the right situation.” The Dolphins could very well represent that for the Miami native and Florida State alum; as was the case before, the Dolphins can be considered a strong suitor for Cook on the free agent market.

He went from wanting to play in Miami to "being patient" real quick, didn't he?  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing IMO the Fins aren't a lock to get him like everybody's assumed for months, and they don't need him anyway. The same four guys they had last year collectively rushed for more yards in fewer attempts than the Vikings did with Cook fully healthy for the first time in his 6-year NFL career. And now they have Achane and are saying they'll run more. And if people thought this team could win the division before, then why is it so important to have Cook now?

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:10 pm

The same four guys they had last year collectively rushed for more yards in fewer attempts than the Vikings did with Cook fully healthy for the first time in his 6-year NFL career. And now they have Achane and are saying they'll run more.

This is a great point. Plus, having four backs that can all contribute is better than a workhorse IMO - because they back each other up against inevitable injuries.

I love Dalvin Cook, but struggling to see how adding him actually makes sense given the state of our RB room. I'd rather spend that money on a trench player (offense or defense) that gets caught in a numbers battle somewhere in August. Kind of like the Seiler pickup, which was an outstanding FA addition.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:11 pm

Preach it, W1!!

I'd say no to Cook, but I am fine if the Phins can get him a reasonable amount.

I suspect some team is gonna want him far more than the Phins are willing to pay though.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:20 pm

They wanted Cook back in March before they signed the group back on. Back then it was too expensive as it would be now.

Grier is playing a dangerous game by dragging this thing out as long as it has. Connor Williams is already holding out. Wilkins needs an extension and next year will be more of the same with Tua and probably Jaylen Waddle if he has another consistent year. The point is, the message you are sending to the core group of guys that want to be here and are here.

#1 - We really dont need Cook. He is a hell of a back. But again, I go back to McDaniel not running the ball enough. The run game would have certainly helped the offense be more balanced. But, running the ball more would take away touches in other skill positions. Namely Tyreek and Waddle.

#2 - The failed March trade gave you and indication of what to do in the draft. Which is why you drafted Achane. He may or may not be the work horse but you aren't looking for a work horse back in this "SCHEME" and "THIS" roster.

#3 - Money is the major factor. He will want a lot. But even if he didn't we have a good and/or above average RB room. We "CAN" get it done with who we have now. I think we hold the money and use it to take care of our own.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:42 am

Cook might want a lot of money, but IMO he's not going to get a huge deal on the open market.

I think he probably signs somewhere else in the end, but he would definitely help the Dolphins a lot. He would immediately become our top back. And he also bolsters a RB room that is currently led by two veteran backs that miss time every single season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:48 am

right now i think Dalvin is waiting for a large dollar contract that may not come (but there really isn't a reason for him to sign now just for the sake of it). of course, if some team has some training camp injuries and panics, they just might meet his asking price. but for now, i don't think there is a need for Miami to jump in with a big offer. assuming his asking price comes down and he's willing to be a part of the McDaniels' rotation system (as opposed to the sole bell cow back), then the Phins might be wise to look at him later on.

of course, considering the Phins would probably only keep 4 true RBs and a 1 FB, that would mean the end of Ahmed and Gaskins on the active roster - perhaps not a great loss, although i believe one of them had STs reps. but, out of Mostert, Wilson and Achane, which one would you make inactive on game days for Cook or at the very least reduce snaps to almost zero?

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:01 am

The more time passes, the more I root for Cook NOT to sign. I do have a post prepared if it happens, though. That is all.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:48 am

out of Mostert, Wilson and Achane, which one would you make inactive on game days for Cook or at the very least reduce snaps to almost zero?

Most likely we would trade away either Mostert or Wilson.

Either now, or for better value in August/September if a starting RB on another team suffers a serious injury.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:15 pm

white1 wrote:
out of Mostert, Wilson and Achane, which one would you make inactive on game days for Cook or at the very least reduce snaps to almost zero?

Most likely we would trade away either Mostert or Wilson.  

Either now, or for better value in August/September if a starting RB on another team suffers a serious injury.

I'd keep all three and make Wilson inactive, assuming Achane is ready to play right away. Wilson will be a valuable fill-in in case of injuries.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:46 pm

i gotta think there is a fair amount of this in McDaniels' playcalling too.

There’s a prevailing, old-school football theory that says the run game needs to be effective for play action to work. Kittle said Shanahan and the 49ers are proving otherwise.

“Kyle has this thing where if wants to set up a play action or a bootleg type of pass, he’ll just call a play – a run play that he knows is not gonna work,” Kittle told Clark and Steven Ruiz. “I can’t remember what game this was. It might’ve been the Vikings one year or Seattle this year, where we’re running a run play multiple times and it’s averaging like, two yards a carry, two yards a carry, two yards a carry. And then we threw a play action behind it and Deebo goes for 75 yards against Seattle.

“And the whole thing is set up because it’s the exact same motion, it’s the exact same alignment, it looks the exact same. Then all the sudden Deebo’s running this shallow. I’m faking like I’m the defensive end. Linebacker thinks its power, he steps up four yards and Deebo’s uncovered in the flat running for a touchdown.”

“So it’s just stuff like that that’s really fun because Kyle Shanahan’s like ‘hey, if I can get my skill players the ball with space in front of em …’ we’re all running for days,” Kittle said. “And that’s what’s really fun. We have such a great YAC team, and that’s one thing that we always talk about. So, he can scheme us open and it’s just really fun to be part of that offense.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/george-kittle-why-kyle-shanahan-155320150.html

could explain why the Phins aren't overly concerned with finding a primary-load type RB or OL who can run block consistently. its really all about getting the ball to your playmaking receivers (both WRs and RBs out the backfield - and maybe a TE too) in space so they can use their speed to get YAC. of course this doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to see the running game gash the defense, just that i suppose not every run is always gonna be 4, 5, 6 yards plus.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:03 pm

That's great stuff, merc.

I think McD had a very similar philosophy last year. But I do think he plans to run more - and more effectively - this coming season. Being able to run when we need to will help prevent the offensive meltdowns we saw against San Diego and San Fran, and will take pressure off Tua and the OL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:40 am

Looks like Fournette would like to come on down and Play in Miami.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next