The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the Phins acquire Jonathan Taylor?

+4
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
white1
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Should the Phins acquire Jonathan Taylor? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the Phins acquire Jonathan Taylor?

Post by finfanatic Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:31 pm

I say no, but it seems apparent that somebody has identified RB as the key to the season for the Phins?

IF McD doesn't do a better job of play calling for the run, the Phins could have Ricky "Puffy" Williams in his prime at RB and it wouldn't matter IMO.

I don't know what the thinking is for the team. Would having a better RB have helped the Phins last season? Other than the injuries to Mostert and Wilson, the failure of the Oline to adequately block and the play calling were far more harmful than malodorous RBs IMO.

And if you want to upgrade the RB position, going after often-injured RBs to replace your current often-injured RBs seems fairly asinine!!

I am starting to think the Phins will never succeed as long as Grier is calling the shots. Neutral

finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Should the Phins acquire Jonathan Taylor? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the Phins acquire Jonathan Taylor?

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:32 pm

finfanatic wrote:I say no, but it seems apparent that somebody has identified RB as the key to the season for the Phins?

IF McD doesn't do a better job of play calling for the run, the Phins could have Ricky "Puffy" Williams in his prime at RB and it wouldn't matter IMO.

I don't know what the thinking is for the team. Would having a better RB have helped the Phins last season? Other than the injuries to Mostert and Wilson, the failure of the Oline to adequately block and the play calling were far more harmful than malodorous RBs IMO.

And if you want to upgrade the RB position, going after often-injured RBs to replace your current often-injured RBs seems fairly asinine!!

I am starting to think the Phins will never succeed as long as Grier is calling the shots. Neutral

STARTING TO?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

A certain female Jets poster back in the long ago was right, you really ARE "courtly" Razz

BTW wouldn't Taylor have to pass a physical like every other traded player, or is that somehow not a thing anymore? I just can't see how he would in his current state.

Maybe the Colts just gave Taylor a week to seek a trade to shut him up and pretend they want to please him? That's what I'm starting to think.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:10 pm

The Dolphins should stop with the fantasizing its killing the fanbase. Again, RB is of the least importance. The Running game is what needs to be addressed.

To be honest, the running game was fine but wasn't balanced enough. We didnt run enough to say that the problem was at RB. Does Taylor make us better? Maybe, we can certainly say that he has talent. But we aren't gonna go 35 rushes a game with Tyreek and Jaylen Waddle on the outside.

Which means we are going to run a more balanced offense as opposed to a run based offense.

So the question becomes, do I pay beau coup money just so I can get a 'BALANCED' offense? and if your answer is Yes than I paid $30mil a year to Tyreek to be a decoy. You drafted Achane! Stick to your guns.
Umix10
Umix10

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:23 pm

Umix10 wrote:The Dolphins should stop with the fantasizing its killing the fanbase.  Again, RB is of the least importance.  The Running game is what needs to be addressed.  

To be honest, the running game was fine but wasn't balanced enough.  We didnt run enough to say that the problem was at RB.  Does Taylor make us better?  Maybe, we can certainly say that he has talent.  But we aren't gonna go 35 rushes a game with Tyreek and Jaylen Waddle on the outside.  

Which means we are going to run a more balanced offense as opposed to a run based offense.

So the question becomes, do I pay beau coup money just so I can get a 'BALANCED' offense? and if your answer is Yes than I paid $30mil a year to Tyreek to be a decoy.  You drafted Achane!  Stick to your guns.

YESS!!! ANOTHER ONE WHO GETS IT!!! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:31 am

Umix10 wrote:The Dolphins should stop with the fantasizing its killing the fanbase.  Again, RB is of the least importance.  The Running game is what needs to be addressed.  

To be honest, the running game was fine but wasn't balanced enough.  We didnt run enough to say that the problem was at RB.  Does Taylor make us better?  Maybe, we can certainly say that he has talent.  But we aren't gonna go 35 rushes a game with Tyreek and Jaylen Waddle on the outside.  

So the question becomes, do I pay beau coup money just so I can get a 'BALANCED' offense? and if your answer is Yes than I paid $30mil a year to Tyreek to be a decoy.  You drafted Achane!  Stick to your guns.

Great post.

I certainly get the appeal - in 2021, Taylor was the best RB on the planet and he'd make any team better. Not so much in 2022. The question the Dolphins have to ask is, how much better - even if we get the 2021 version? As Umix said, the biggest issue with the run game last season was simply not enough run plays called. Just running the ball even a little bit more will improve the run game. But will having Taylor on the team at $10-15 million more than Mostert/Wilson give us that big of an edge, in an offense based on the passing game? I don't know the answer to that - but I suspect the benefit will not outweigh the cost.

And the thing is, we don't really know how interested the Dolphins actually are in acquiring Taylor. All these tweets and "reports" are all BS. I'm sure they've talked with the Colts, but that doesn't mean they're "all in" on making a trade...they may just be seeing if they can get a bargain.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:49 pm

I've heard that the Phins did give Taylor a physical. If true, I guess that does mean there is some serious interest - depending on what they learned about the ankle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:04 pm

Oh there's definitely interest, and we've seen Grier pull off major deals for Hill and Chubb.

This is my take on a potential trade for Taylor:
- The Colts are going to want value matching what they feel Taylor is worth, and likely basing that off his phenomenal performance as a rookie. Last year's injury, the fact he's going to need a new deal for market-level compensation, and the broken relationship are going to hurt that value. Are they willing to take less than they want?
- The Dolphins want Taylor. Of course they do. But Grier is only going to give up what he thinks Taylor is worth - based on everything I just described. So, as far as trade compensation, will he offer enough that the Colts settle for less but still get something they consider close enough to the value they want?
- Taylor - I have read - wants to come to Miami. Would he reduce SOME of the money he's asking for, to maybe get within striking distance of a CMC contract but not equal, let alone more than, that contract? Is Grier willing to pay enough that he's satisfied, given the value he puts on the player and the position?

This is why it's taking time. No one knows what's being discussed, but these things all have to line up to pull it off.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:05 pm

JMP wrote:I've heard that the Phins did give Taylor a physical.  If true, I guess that does mean there is some serious interest - depending on what they learned about the ankle.

I wouldn't trust that bunch of quacks to properly diagnose a cut finger. If they think Taylor's ankle is good to go it probably means he won't be playing at all the entire season!

Remember, this is the same bunch of bumbling boobs who kept telling us this time last year that Byron Jones' injury was no big deal and he'd be returning any day now.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:10 pm

I'm actually changing my mind a bit on the trade I offer to the Colts.

If they think Mostert is the best replacement for Taylor - I would send him and keep Jeff Wilson Jr. The player(s) we are willing to give in trade really don't matter except for the financial relief it will provide for the Fins. The rest of our RB room becomes backups - and yes, that means even Achane. Cedric Wilson, Ogbah still make sense also as options IMO.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:46 pm

Again I would love for this deal to get done. My only problem is it better not affect Wilkins staying in Miami.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:47 pm

Wilkins is a key piece of the team I can’t see a RB deal changing that - if anything it’s his agent demands
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:24 pm

Neal Driscoll
@NealDriscoll

In their pursuit of Jonathan Taylor, the Miami Dolphins currently have the highest offer on the table. That offer does NOT include their first round pick. The Indianapolis Colts are waiting to see if any team will acquiesce to their demands and offer a first round pick. We’re at a stand-off. No deal is done. Do the Colts keep Taylor or take Miami’s offer?

8:14 AM · Aug 26, 2023

If this is true, then we likely won't hear anything till Tuesday - which is supposedly the deadline the Colts have set for a possible trade. They will wait till the last possible moment to see if another team swoops in with a better offer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:58 pm

IMO no one is giving up a first. Miami may very well get him
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:09 pm

white1 wrote:IMO no one is giving up a first. Miami may very well get him

Now why you gotta depress me like that, dude? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad You're supposed to be the cheerful one around here! Razz

It would be so...Grierish to have just one pick in the first four rounds next year Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Unless he plans on giving up the rest of that draft too...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:11 pm

Lol! Remember I think getting Taylor is a good thing.

Grier is best using his picks for vets I think - his drafted core has a few bright spots but short on blue chip talent.

Just one example - I like Wilkins a lot but Lawrence is better and the Giants got him later…
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:17 pm

OKAY...for the last time...

I absolutely do not understand why Grier would pass up Cook, who he could've had without giving up anything, and let sign with a division rival, before suddenly deciding he just HAD to give up players/picks for another RB who he'd be paying even more to AND is currently injured. Let's just be real and call it like it is instead of this "PUP" nonsense.

And what's REALLY baffling, befuddling and bewildering to me is why it's apparently impossible for Grier to make this trade in 1-2 months. Why does it have to be RIGHT NOW? Do the Colts really think if no trade happens by Tuesday that Taylor will suddenly turn into a happy camper who wants to play for them? If he wants out now, why wouldn't he want out in 6-8 weeks? And by that time the way this team is at least one if not more RBs will be hurt. Instead of looking desperate like that one girl nobody's invited to the prom yet, Grier could just wait and look a whole lot better when Taylor gallops in on his white horse to save the season in October. As opposed to giving up something for a player who is likely to not even suit up for the first 4 games and who knows how long after that. The Colts would probably even get more as well since if a RB or two goes down then they'd have actual leverage.

I'm still waiting for somebody to make this make sense. scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:13 am

I absolutely do not understand why Grier would pass up Cook, who he could've had without giving up anything, and let sign with a division rival, before suddenly deciding he just HAD to give up players/picks for another RB who he'd be paying even more to AND is currently injured. Let's just be real and call it like it is instead of this "PUP" nonsense.

It's actually pretty clear cut to me, DF. One, Cook does have an extensive injury history - and he is coming off injury again. Far more so than one ankle injury when talking about Taylor. Two, Cook is much older than Taylor. Bad idea to bring in an older back who is also injury prone. Three, I believe that Taylor is not only younger and less prone to injury, he's also a better back. Explosive and he's faster (I think he hit top MPH during one of his TDs last year). We know the Dolphins love speed, and Taylor has more than Cook.

And what's REALLY baffling, befuddling and bewildering to me is why it's apparently impossible for Grier to make this trade in 1-2 months. Why does it have to be RIGHT NOW? Do the Colts really think if no trade happens by Tuesday that Taylor will suddenly turn into a happy camper who wants to play for them?

It's a complicated situation given that the Colts have fractured their relationship with a star player. They want the value of the player, but won't be able to get full value because he really won't play for them with the exception of logging the minimum number of games to get "credit" for playing in 2023. For Miami, they want him in the fold now to learn the offense and start contributing sooner rather than later. And it's smart for Grier to do it now while he has a stable of healthy RBs already on the roster. He's not desperate.

There's a lot of moving parts but I do not think health is a problem. If Taylor is 95 percent comfortable with the ankle, he can play. However, he can tell the Colts "I don't feel 100% so I don't want to play". Miami brought him in for a physical so must be satisfied he's not significantly hurting.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:28 am

I would love to know what the offer is? Probably picks in the next draft and the one after that.

Grier will need some picks to trade for players during this season remember.

If he can end up with NO DRAFT Picks in 2024 that will sure save me some time on the mock drafts!

Shocked Neutral Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:21 pm

Passing on Cook isn't a surprise at all. The team decided on his value, and he obviously didn't agree. Smart move by Grier not caving in and overpaying for a player he didn't think was worth it. The contract value he signed is twice what the Dolphins reortedly offered.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:39 pm

JMP wrote:Passing on Cook isn't a surprise at all.  The team decided on his value, and he obviously didn't agree.  Smart move by Grier not caving in and overpaying for a player he didn't think was worth it.  The contract value he signed is twice what the Dolphins reortedly offered.

But will Taylor be worth even close to what he'll inevitably ask for?

At some point this "market" I keep hearing about will have to collapse because teams simply won't be able to afford to pay average players at every position top 5-10 money anymore.

ALSO--and I hate to even bring this up--the plandemic is making a comeback. Yup, the government is actually expecting people to comply with lockdowns and masks again. If this keeps going like I think it will, it'll be 2020 NFL all over again which means no crowds at games which means a salary cap DECREASE for 2024. Smart GMs should already be aware of this and accounting for it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:18 am

I'd pass, I think we can go with the RB's we have. Hell, I'd rather just keep Chris Brooks on the team than make any trade for a RB.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:19 am

HalCHorn wrote:I'd pass, I think we can go with the RB's we have.  Hell, I'd rather just keep Chris Brooks on the team than make any trade for a RB.

WOOHOO!!! THE ATF (ANTI TAYLOR FORCE) GAINS ANOTHER MEMBER!!! cheers cheers cheers

If Brooks doesn't make the roster, it should be classified as a criminal offense. No, I'm not joking. I'd take him over Achane any day and twice on Sunday. Again, being totally serious.

BTW all who want Taylor will henceforth be named the PTA (Pro Taylor Association). If this trade actually happens I promise to be an adult about it. After I spend a week breaking various things.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:54 am

NBC Sports wrote:ESPN’s Stephen Holder says trade talks for Colts RB Jonathan Taylor “will go down to the wire.”

According to Holder, these trade talks continue to be between the Colts and Dolphins, although Holder notes that he believes a second team is also involved in talks to acquire the 2021 All-Pro. The Colts are giving it until Tuesday to decide what to ultimately do with Taylor ahead of Week 1. While a trade seems likely, if teams are unwilling to meet a lofty asking price, it’s possible the Colts keep the star running back on the roster and place him on the PUP list if he chooses to not report.

23m ago
Source: Stephen Holder

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:57 am

The PTA is waiting with bated breath Smile
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:06 am

so if its the trade parameters that are still being negotiated, does this imply that Miami has/would/should agreed to contract extension terms with Taylor? they wouldn't negotiate a trade offer without knowing if they could keep him after one year would they?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next