The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broncos at Dolphins

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broncos at Dolphins Empty Broncos at Dolphins

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:27 am

time to close the book on the NE game and turn the page to Denver.

sounds like the Broncos have been having trouble with pre-snap issues and getting the play in.

On Monday, Payton said after the Broncos' alignment and clock issues that he and the coaches will look at ways to decrease verbiage in some of their playcalls.

The Broncos had to use multiple timeouts Sunday to avoid delay of game penalties and had multiple occasions on both sides of the ball when players seemed unsure of where to be in the formation before the snap.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38432336/sean-payton-eyeing-ways-fix-broncos-clock-management-issues

seems to be a common occurrence for offensive minded coaches installing a new system. didn't McDaniel have issues last year?

and it looks like our old friend is already on the hot seat.

Through two games, the results under Joseph have not been good.

“I thought we were poor,” Payton said of the defense after Sunday’s 35-33 loss. “We [the offense] didn’t help them with the field position, with the turnover, but our red-zone defense was poor. First-down defense — we’re not fitting certain pressures. … I didn’t think we played well, and we’re going to see a lot better offenses than that.”

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/20/denver-broncos-sean-payton-not-happy-with-vance-joseph-defense/

but even with all this doom and gloom, Denver is 0-2 by a slight total combined 3 point margin. things will eventually even out and teams with close losses are bound to steal a few. let's just hope its not this week.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Broncos at Dolphins Empty Re: Broncos at Dolphins

Post by HalCHorn Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm

Classic trap game with Bills looming next week. HOF QB and coach on the other sideline. As noted two tough, close losses going in. Hopefully we won't be without Waddle and Phillips.

Have to hold serve at home regardless. A loss here wipes out two weeks of progress.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:09 pm

I'm scared of the Broncos and am predicting another loss. It's not a matter of the other shoe dropping but from how high. I just can't forget how 3-0 last season turned into 3-3 and the NFL being pressured by the media into screwing this team over yet again. Something will go wrong that none of us could see coming.

This isn't an act, this is honestly how I really feel.

Also, I can't get this game out of my mind. The 3-6 Broncos weren't supposed to beat the 6-3 Fins 3 years ago. I remember everybody here saying it would be an easy win. The Fins were even favored by 4 on the road, meaning oddsmakers really thought they'd win by 7. Next thing I knew, this happened.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202011220den.htm

Of all the losses that kept this team from the playoffs that season, IMO this was the most damaging and preventable. At least this time Fangio's on our side. #neverforget #time4revenge

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:26 pm

The Broncos BTW are just the third team ever to open a season with consecutive losses by a total of just 3 points. No team has lost the first two games by one point each, at least since 1940.

https://stathead.com/tiny/XCbEw

The '08 Chargers trounced the Jets by 19, fell to 4-8 at one point, then rallied from 3 games down with 3 left to win the AFC West and even won a playoff game. The '13 Bucs on the other hand lost their next game by 20 and dropped to 0-8 before finally winning--over this team. Of course they did. That was the season of the bullying fiasco (hard to believe it was a decade ago now) and in consecutive weeks the Fins knocked off the 6-2 Bengals and lost to the 0-8 Bucs.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:49 pm

The Broncos are a tough team - good QB, good RB, solid receiving corps, mediocre OL. Their defense was excellent last season, but sucks this season - but they do have some good players on that side. Payton has been a great coach, but so far the Broncos don't seem to have bought in just yet.

It is a trap game and the Broncos are a better team than their 0-2 record shows. But overall, the Dolphins are by far the better team from top to bottom in my view. And if Sam Howell and the Commanders can put up 30+ points against the Broncos, I'm sure the Tua and the Phins can too.

I don't like predicting a blowout victory, but that's really how I see it playing out. Dolphins 38, Broncos 20.

The weather could be a factor...it's supposed to be really hot in Miami (with a chance of showers, as usual) and that could help to wear down the Broncos as the game goes on. Might not be a bad idea for the Phins to run the ball a lot again.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:26 pm

Not sure about Dolphins vs Broncos but the NFL got crushed with injuries last week especially RB.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:36 pm

The league obviously does not care about player safety.  Like way too many things in this world we now live in, words mean everything and actions mean nothing.  If the NFL cared about player safety, players would not be forced to travel overseas for regular season games or have games on three days' rest (Thursday) every single week.  But I've said this before. Lip service is paid to player safety, but the actions tell us what it really means.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:09 am

I watched the game highlights from the Commanders-Broncos game (great feature on YouTubeTV, by the way) last night.

On defense, it seemed like the Broncos left receivers open in the intermediate middle of the field quite often - which plays to McD's and Tua's strengths. The Broncos D also looked awful against screens. The Dolphins don't run many screens (and Umix was pounding the table for them in the Patriots game thread!) but this could be the week to mix them in - especially with Achane likely seeing some snaps. I also think Smythe could have a big game. Their pass rush is relentless, but that shouldn't be an issue with Tua getting the ball out so fast. Overall, I think the Phins can score a lot if they avoid mistakes.

The Broncos on offense made some plays, but overall I wasn't too impressed. Their OL looked weak, and Wilson was running for his life quite often. He can still run and he still has an excellent deep ball, but I think the Miami D can contain him. Sutton and Jeudy are good receivers, and Mims is starting to come on, but they don't scare me. With Dulcich out, they don't really have a receiving TE. Williams is really the only RB that gets carries and he is very up and down, but you do have to keep an eye on Perine coming out of the backfield. One other thing to note: the Broncos scored just 3 points in the second half in week 1 and 12 points in the second half in week 2 - so they do most of their scoring early. Overall, this is a Broncos offense that can do some damage if you let them, but I suspect Fangio will have his group ready.

So, yeah, I am comfortable sticking with my 38-20 prediction.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:11 am

HalCHorn wrote:The league obviously does not care about player safety.  Like way too many things in this world we now live in, words mean everything and actions mean nothing.  If the NFL cared about player safety, players would not be forced to travel overseas for regular season games or have games on three days' rest (Thursday) every single week.  But I've said this before.  Lip service is paid to player safety, but the actions tell us what it really means.

Yep, it's an absolute joke. And we see each week that if you are a star player that the league loves, your health is treated differently than other players. When Josh Allen takes multiple hits to the head every week and never gets pulled from the game for a concussion eval, that tells you all you need to know about where the league's priorities lie.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:14 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Oh shit...

it seems to depend on which team you play for is the determinant in how your concussion will be dealt with...

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams said he did not want to talk much about the hit he took to the left side of his helmet...

Adams, who was taken off the field and evaluated for a concussion after the blow and did not return to the game...

Adams was a full participant in practice for the Raiders on Wednesday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38449406/davante-adams-criticizes-control-safety-taylor-rapp

well ok then, nothing to see here.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:23 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:Oh shit...

it seems to depend on which team you play for is the determinant in how your concussion will be dealt with...

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams said he did not want to talk much about the hit he took to the left side of his helmet...

Adams, who was taken off the field and evaluated for a concussion after the blow and did not return to the game...

Adams was a full participant in practice for the Raiders on Wednesday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38449406/davante-adams-criticizes-control-safety-taylor-rapp

well ok then, nothing to see here.

Check my latest post in the Richardson thread on the NFL forum.

Prediction: every other player besides Waddle who was concussed Sunday will be allowed to play this Sunday/Monday. The Anti-Fins agenda is SO obvious. They're even ignoring their OWN RULES to let opposing teams score TDs now, for one thing.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:35 am

i love JMP doubling down on his score prediction.

as a long suffering Dolphins' fan, its hard, oh so hard, to just jump out there and call a blow out - even if on paper it should be. everything is in Miami's favor. homefield. hot weather. explosive offense. but historically those have been the games just when you think they're over the hump - they pull a mystifying stinker. i'm hopeful things are different McDaniel.

but in the end, there is the way i SHOULD feel, and then there is the way i DO feel. either way, Miami should pull this one out.

i'm thinking something along the lines of last year's Houston game. Miami jumps out to a big 28-3 lead and then unwisely puts it in cruise control to make the game appear closer than it really was.

Miami - 31
Denver - 24

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:45 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Check my latest post in the Richardson thread on the NFL forum.

i just responded there.

trust me. a Dolphins player will be targeted and carried from the field this weekend. and somehow it will be Miami's fault.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:51 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:Check my latest post in the Richardson thread on the NFL forum.

i just responded there.

trust me.  a Dolphins player will be targeted and carried from the field this weekend.  and somehow it will be Miami's fault.

Let's just hope it's not Tua. affraid

I mean, it's not like the Broncos' coach wasn't already suspended a season for overseeing a bounty system for his team's D or anything...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:55 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

as a long suffering Dolphins' fan, its hard, oh so hard, to just jump out there and call a blow out - even if on paper it should be.  everything is in Miami's favor.  homefield.  hot weather.  explosive offense.  but historically those have been the games just when you think they're over the hump - they pull a mystifying stinker.  i'm hopeful things are different McDaniel.

Yep, exactly how I feel.  But I'm starting to think this is a very different Dolphins' team than we've seen recently - or ever, really.  I could be wrong, but this Broncos game should be a good indicator one way or another.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:57 am

JEGnj wrote:Not sure about Dolphins vs Broncos but the NFL got crushed with injuries last week especially RB.

I thought Barkley was going to be lost for the season, but now it appears that he is week to week. You just know he'll be back in time to face the Dolphins on October 8. Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:28 pm

It is now clear and obvious what I must do. I need to...stay awake for the entire game Sunday afternoon instead of sleeping like I do every other Sunday afternoon, NFL season or not. Yes it will be a tremendous sacrifice but I'm more than willing to take one for the team since they are 2-0 when I'm awake so now I need to keep doing it until it stops working. Yes, I'm serious. It's the only chance they have.

DolFan 316

JMP, HalCHorn, white1 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:43 pm

Based on what we've seen so far:  Broncos 27th in defense in YPA passing, our offense is 1st; our defense is 7th, their offense is 9th.

Broncos rushing offense is 9th, ours is 13th.  Our defense was stingier against the Pats but still 26th in YPC, theirs is a solid 9th.

They've played very well on ST's so far in the return game.  Their only FG miss was from over 50 yards.  Here's hoping ST miscues don't cost us, along with our snapping issues at C.

Teams are about even in stopping the pass but Dolphins' passing offense is far better. I'd expect Broncos to try what Chargers did on offense and try to keep Tua off the field. On D I suppose they'll emulate the Pats instead.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:48 am

Thursday’s Dolphins injury report confirmed that receiver Jaylen Waddle remains sidelined by concussion protocol. He could conceivably exit protocol as late as Sunday morning, but the team seems to be preparing to play without him.

[Tyreek] Hill, on the possibility of Waddle missing Sunday because of concussion protocol: “We would love Jaylen to play. Love him like a brother. [But] health is everything. In the NFL, the mindset is next man up. That’s how we’ll approach it....

“Jaylen obviously makes our offense more explosive, more dangerous. We have two guys on the same team who can do literally the same thing [himself and Waddle]. A lot of people are going to be shocked seeing Braxton [Berrios] show out if Jaylen doesn’t play.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article279075464.html

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:02 am

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/denver-broncos-simmons-purcell-injuries/73-adfccb0e-9e33-42e8-b31b-e7d9a3ffefad

Uh oh. Broncos star safety Justin Simmons missed practice again Thursday because of a hip injury, according to the team’s injury report.

Simmons had been sidelined through training camp and the preseason because of a groin injury. His latest injury occurred late in the first half against Washington.

Broncos nose tackle Mike Purcell also did not practice Thursday because of an ankle injury. Simmons and Purcell both rehabbed on the side, injury field during practice.

With the Denver D coming off a disappointing performance last week in a 35-33 loss to Washington and Miami’s No. 1-ranked offense up next, the injuries to Simmons and Purcell would be a blow if they are unable to play. If they are able to practice Friday, even if on a limited basis, it would raise hopes they will be able to play Sunday.

If Simmons can’t go or is limited Sunday, the Broncos would likely use second-year safety Dellarin Turner-Yell opposite starter Kareem Jackson. Rookie safety J.L. Skinner has yet to dress for a game but may also be in the mix Sunday.

We'll see what happens, but if Simmons is out that makes missing Waddle easier to deal with. And if Purcell is out, that's potentially a big boost to our running game. Hopefully we'll hear more on the status for all the guys later today.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:03 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Thursday’s Dolphins injury report confirmed that receiver Jaylen Waddle remains sidelined by concussion protocol. He could conceivably exit protocol as late as Sunday morning, but the team seems to be preparing to play without him.

[Tyreek] Hill, on the possibility of Waddle missing Sunday because of concussion protocol: “We would love Jaylen to play. Love him like a brother. [But] health is everything. In the NFL, the mindset is next man up. That’s how we’ll approach it....

“Jaylen obviously makes our offense more explosive, more dangerous. We have two guys on the same team who can do literally the same thing [himself and Waddle]. A lot of people are going to be shocked seeing Braxton [Berrios] show out if Jaylen doesn’t play.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article279075464.html

Sure sounds like Waddle will miss the game. I'm fine with that - as long as he's back for the Bills game next week.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:37 am

[quote="JMP"]
Uh oh. Broncos star safety Justin Simmons missed practice again Thursday because of a hip injury, according to the team’s injury report.

well now, isn't that funny. especially considering just yesterday Simmons was guaranteeing a win over Miami.

“I’m not worried about what anyone has to say,” Simmons said after the Week 2 loss. “Everyone is going to write us off, and we’re 0-2. Everyone is going to have their opinions and they’re going to say what they are going to say. But that doesn’t change that we have a game next week in Miami.

“We’ve got to go win the game. I’m not going to pay attention to what anyone has to say. At the end of the day, we’ve got to go play these games. We have to find ways to win, and we will win.”

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/21/denver-broncos-justin-simmons-predicts-win-vs-dolphins/

mercury22nathan

JMP and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:51 pm

JMP wrote:Sure sounds like Waddle will miss the game.  I'm fine with that - as long as he's back for the Bills game next week.

You really think the NFL will allow him to play against THAT team???

I'm telling you now, this will somehow be the one concussion that keeps right on lingering for a month or more while every non-Fins player with one is somehow cleared to play the very next game.

It's also quite sinister how quiet the NFL was about it, right up until they had to let everybody know for gambling purpo$e$. Almost like they deliberately were trying to hide it as long as they could to cover up their concussion hypocrisy...

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:59 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:

well now, isn't that funny.  especially considering just yesterday Simmons was guaranteeing a win over Miami.

“I’m not worried about what anyone has to say,” Simmons said after the Week 2 loss. “Everyone is going to write us off, and we’re 0-2. Everyone is going to have their opinions and they’re going to say what they are going to say. But that doesn’t change that we have a game next week in Miami.

“We’ve got to go win the game. I’m not going to pay attention to what anyone has to say. At the end of the day, we’ve got to go play these games. We have to find ways to win, and we will win.”

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/21/denver-broncos-justin-simmons-predicts-win-vs-dolphins/

Meh. This isn't exactly the same as Namath guaranteeing a win before Super Bowl III (shout out to Merc there Razz ) which itself was overhyped and according to Namath himself just a response to Lou Michaels' trash talking.

That having been said, you've at least got to play after saying something like that. Laughing

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next