The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade for Belichick?

4 posters

Go down

Trade for Belichick? Empty Trade for Belichick?

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:43 pm

why would anybody trade anything of value to the Patriots for Belichick? if you know they don't want to go into next season with him as the HC, why wouldn't you just wait until they fire him and you could get him for nothing. i've heard the argument that teams don't want to have to wait to hire a HC (in this case Belichick), but that would include the Patriots too - the longer they hold onto him, the longer they are hurting themselves (if indeed they are moving on from him). and if the Patriots aren't ready to move on from Belichick, then you couldn't have gotten him anyways (trade or not).

Florio: Why trading Belichick seems like logical path for Patriots

"They're holding onto him because they think they're going to get something for him and then they're going to move on after the season, and somebody out there is going to give him that shot."

https://sports.yahoo.com/florio-why-trading-belichick-most-164028649.html

to compare the situation to Sean Payton is asinine. Payton "retired" and the Saints still held his rights. Belichick would be fired and be free to anyone who wanted him - and he'd get to pick the place where he could go rather than be at Kraft's mercy.

oh wait, its Florio. now i know why it doesn't make sense.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Trade for Belichick? Empty Re: Trade for Belichick?

Post by JMP Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:20 pm

There are unsubstantiated rumors that the Pats and Belichick have agreed to part ways after the season - and his new team has already been decided! Could be BS, but no doubt change is coming.

With all the turmoil the Pats, Bills and Jets are facing, the Dolphins are looking pretty damn good right about now. Who would ever have imagined that the Phins would become the model of consistency in the AFC East??? Shocked

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:22 pm

Another point for Shula. The way he went out was sad, but it was a whole lot better than THIS. At least Shula made the playoffs his final season, which is more than you can say about Belichick, Landry and Noll. Even Marv "four straight Super Bowls" Levy went out with a 6-10 whimper before that decade was over. Father Time is always unbeaten. Lombardi is the one NFL coaching legend who found a loophole by dying, and was also smart enough to ditch the Packers at exactly the right time.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:57 pm

I could see it. They ended up getting nothing when they let Brady become a FA. Kraft remembers trading lots of draft picks to get Belichick and getting picks in return for the Jests hiring Parcells. A desperate team could pony up for Belichick if they feel they have pieces in place and just need a coach who can get it there (Chargers sound logical to me with Herbert, for example). Washington also sounds logical.

Not saying I agree that he's still a great coach, but I could see getting a high pick for him and/or holding out for that right now.

He is about to have his third losing season in the last four. Shula had a TOTAL of two losing seasons in his 33 years.

And Shula went out with four consecutive winning seasons, and no losing seasons in his last seven. One of those four he didn't have Marino for 3/4ths of the season.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:18 pm

HalCHorn wrote: Shula had a TOTAL of two losing seasons in his 33 years.

That has to be one of the most impressive stats in football history.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down