The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Trade For Stephone Anthony

+3
Umix10
Birdmond
DolFan 316
7 posters

Go down

Fins Trade For Stephone Anthony  Empty Fins Trade For Stephone Anthony

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Saints get the ol' "undisclosed draft pick".

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/press-releases/article-1/Miami-Dolphins-Trade-For-Stephone-Anthony/394d47e0-01c4-4d07-aad3-13779b27c55f

At least they got somebody. I don't think Anthony will help much if any, but at least hes a body and it was probably the best the Fins could do under the circumstances. Not at all surprised they traded for a LB at this point.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Fins Trade For Stephone Anthony  Empty Re: Fins Trade For Stephone Anthony

Post by Birdmond Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

I did like him coming out of Clemson. A former 1st round pick. Who knows?

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Anthony hasn't lived up to his billing but, Like Bird i wanted Miami to get him he has size and certainly the speed to be a good coverage LB. I don't know what was his deal with the saints but I don't think the organization is really up to snuff when it comes to personnel. The fresh start might do him some good. I'm hoping he finds what made him a 1st round draft pick in the first place. This could prove to be the move of the year if he can get it right.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 pm

well miami traded him for a fifth round pick let's hope he pans out

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:41 am

Umix10 wrote:Anthony hasn't lived up to his billing but, Like Bird i wanted Miami to get him he has size and certainly the speed to be a good coverage LB. I don't know what was his deal with the saints but I don't think the organization is really up to snuff when it comes to personnel. The fresh start might do him some good. I'm hoping he finds what made him a 1st round draft pick in the first place. This could prove to be the move of the year if he can get it right.

Actually he was on the all rookie team and then the Saints moved him from weak side to strong side and then he got hurt. The guy ran a 4.53 at the combine. Also Dolphins consultant Joe Vitt knows Anthony well from his tine in New Orleans. I've read he pushed hard to get Anthony. I really like this move.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:10 am

I liked Anthony in college too, though I prefer him at middle LB. I don't know for sure but I read that the Phins are looking at him to play Timmons' SOLB spot. Good acquisition considering the time of year...not going to get much better at this point.

He has an injury history and isn't particularly good in coverage, so he fits right in! LOL

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 am

I wasn't around last night when this trade was announced, so I'm catching up on info.

So I see that Anthony hasn't played yet this season...and only played in the first preseason game this year. He's been sidelined with a high ankle sprain since early August. Has anyone heard when he might be ready to play??? It would be nice if we brought in a veteran LB that could, you know, actually get on the field.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 am

Yeah I saw that about the ankle. Given the coverage of Beckham, it sounds like a high ankle sprain takes 6-8 weeks to fully recover.

So at this point, probably just depth while he recovers and learns the playbook. But we need depth. Badly. So overall I like the move.

He is definitely an athlete, people worry a bit about this "instincts" but I think that can be coached up to some extent.

I would totally throw out his performance with the Saints. I mean, on defense they are an unmitigated disaster. I don't know if it's scheme, players, coaching it's probably all three but my God they are horrible.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am

white1 wrote:But we need depth.  Badly.  So overall I like the move.

Trading a 5th for an injured player that really didn't figure into the Saints' plans reeks of desperation...but we are definitely desperate for LB help. I hate giving up the pick, but it had to be done. I still like Anthony's potential. I think he's more "react" than "read and react" as a player - kinda like Alonso - but he gives us an athletic run stopper that can also blitz. I don't know why we can't find a LB that is decent in coverage, but again at this time of year I think getting Anthony is pretty much the best we could hope for.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 am

Well Miami got Kenny Stills from the Saints and he panning out pretty well. but to go after someone injured doesn't make sense to me. when will he be ready.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:30 am

i was talking to someone who knows the Dolphins schemes a lot better than i do, and he said this signing could (should) be viewed more as an insurance (replacement) against Maualuga never getting healthy than Timmons going AWOL. Timmons pulling his stunt now allowed the Phins to suspend him and then keep both Anthony and Maualuga on the active roster. otherwise Maualuga probably would've been released (as the Phins have run out of patience with his out of shape hamstring) just before this trade took place.

and as a side note, Jelani Jenkins was released by the Bills yesterday and the Phins have zero interest.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:i was talking to someone who knows the Dolphins schemes a lot better than i do, and he said this signing could (should) be viewed more as an insurance (replacement) against Maualuga never getting healthy than Timmons going AWOL.  Timmons pulling his stunt now allowed the Phins to suspend him and then keep both Anthony and Maualuga on the active roster.  otherwise Maualuga probably would've been released (as the Phins have run out of patience with his out of shape hamstring) just before this trade took place.

and as a side note, Jelani Jenkins was released by the Bills yesterday and the Phins have zero interest.

So does that mean that the Phins are viewing Anthony as a MLB?  I definitely like him better there.

Not sure what that would mean for Hull.  The coaches talk about him like he's the second coming of Mike Singletary or something, so I can't see them putting him on the bench.  Maybe they'd move him to SOLB?  

I think I'd prefer Anthony at MLB and Allen at SOLB, with Hull as the first LB off the bench.  Allen is definitely raw, but I think he could be a good one with more experience.  Hull is what he is...I think he's already reached his ceiling, and he's really just a mediocre player with decent run support and awful pass coverage.      

Of course, this is all based on the assumption that Anthony is going to be ready to play soon.  Who knows???

EDIT: Just saw that Gase said Anthony will be ready to play on Sunday! That's good news.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:18 pm

That is good news on Anthony!

I also read he has experience as ILB and OLB, the versatility there was a key factor in Miami pursuing the trade.

Looking at how thin we are at LB, and this won't be addressed until 2018 offseason, we desperately need versatile players who are likely going to have to shuffle positions based on injuries, and possibly matchups with opposing offenses.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:56 am

white1 wrote:That is good news on Anthony!

I also read he has experience as ILB and OLB, the versatility there was a key factor in Miami pursuing the trade.

Looking at how thin we are at LB, and this won't be addressed until 2018 offseason, we desperately need versatile players who are likely going to have to shuffle positions based on injuries, and possibly matchups with opposing offenses.

I expect Ray MacDonald to used as sort of a hybrid S/LB.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am

TJ McDonald? Yeah, seems big enough to play weakside especially in nickel alignment - maybe kick Alonso over to kind of a MLB role in that set.

McDonald probably has more skill and playmaking ability than any of our LBs, so would be good to somehow get him on the field instead of one of them. Not to mention the obvious but he will be far superior in coverage.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:19 am

With McDonald being unable to practice for half the season, there's really no time for him to learn a new position. Certainly he will play some in the box in nickle/dime packages, as most safeties do, but I don't think we're going to see him do anything he hasn't done before. This also isn't a very creative defense, so I don't expect anything too "exotic".

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down