The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Omar Kelly's latest

4 posters

Go down

Omar Kelly's latest Empty Omar Kelly's latest

Post by CarsonChris Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 pm

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Omar Kelly's latest Empty Re: Omar Kelly's latest

Post by Birdmond Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:07 am

I don't have a problem with Omar's opinions. That's his job. My problem is he's a racist that complains about racism.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 am

Omar is right in this case.   Talk is cheap.   Every year we hear these clowns tell us how good they're going to be, and every year they fall flat on their faces.  I don't want talk - I want results.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:43 am

We've been burned by this team so many times, I've forgotten all the various ways they've brought us the disappointments.

I'll only consider this team "good" when I see the number 10 in the win column. Not one second sooner.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:24 am

I'm pretty confident I could get this team in the playoffs next year so I'm not going to except anything less than playoffs from Tannembaum.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:27 am

I'm pretty confident I could get this team in the playoffs next year so I'm not going to except anything less than playoffs from Tannembaum.

Yeah, it's an interesting point Birdmond. On paper, with the assumption we make the right moves this offseason in both free agency and the draft, we've got a lot of the pieces and parts that a playoff caliber team needs.

We say that every year, though, and it still hasn't come true for us in a long, long time.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:13 am

white1 wrote:

Yeah, it's an interesting point Birdmond. On paper, with the assumption we make the right moves this offseason in both free agency and the draft, we've got a lot of the pieces and parts that a playoff caliber team needs.

We say that every year, though, and it still hasn't come true for us in a long, long time.

And really, the AFC just isn't that good.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:29 am

I don't know...I see a ton of holes on this team, and I'm not sure they can all be addressed in one offseason.  You're talking about rebuilding the defensive backfield and linebacking corps, and maybe the DL depending on Wake and Vernon.  Then there's OL, where we need two guards and a quality swing tackle that won't shit the bed if he has to start.  Then, we may need to strengthen RB, TE and WR depending on what happens with our free agents, and we desperately need a backup QB.  So, that's pretty much upgrading every position.  Now, we don't need to hit on all of those things at once to fight for a playoff spot...but those are all things that need to be fixed if we want to do more than go one and done.

Honestly, I think this team is a couple of years from playoff contention if we build the team the right way.  If we just want to continue to throw money at free agents, sure, we might be able to make a playoff run in 2016.  But if we want to build a team that competes year in and year out, it needs to be done primarily through the draft, and that is not an overnight process.  Draft well and develop players...that's the way to build something that lasts and isn't just a flash in the pan.  I'm not interested in making the playoffs one time and then fading back into obscurity...I want a team like the Patriots, Steelers or Packers that is in contention year after year after year.

With Tannenbaum in charge, I suspect we'll continue to piss away draft picks and throw buckets of money at free agents.  But I guess we'll see...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:36 am

Good post, JMP.

I am really puzzled on the direction with Vernon. Here's a guy we drafted, in his prime, all the stats say our problem was at LB and #2 defensive tackle - NOT at defensive end. Why would we let him walk while throwing huge free agent money at some other player that another team has decided isn't worth keeping?

IMO one of the keys is not only drafting well and developing players, but retain your own talent when it makes sense to do so. A defensive end in his prime would seem to be a very high priority, especially when there is literally no one else at DE on the roster of his caliber except an aging and injured Wake.

Now Miller? Running backs are interchangeable, but is he really going to break the bank? If he's not all that expensive, then my question is WHY NOT keep him?

If we keep Miller and Vernon, that's two fewer holes and we can focus on other areas - like Guard, Linebacker, Free Safety and CB.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:55 am

I'm just not sold on Vernon at the money he's going to get.  In an ideal world, I'd keep him - but we are probably looking at a contract averaging somewhere between $10 and 12 million per year, with at least $30 million guaranteed.  Looking back at his inconsistent career, I have a very hard time giving Vernon that type of money.  He's not good against the run, he's inconsistent as a pass rusher, he doesn't force fumbles - and he disappears for long stretches.  I'd let him walk.

I'd definitely be in favor of keeping Miller at the right price, although I think he'll get more $ on the open market.  IMHO, RB becomes a huge, gaping hole without Miller.  Now, if we could get Matt Forte at a reasonable price, I'd take him over Miller for sure...but I don't see that happening.

One other free agent note: I'd definitely try to keep Matthews, and I'd prioritize him over both Miller and Vernon.  I'd start Parker and Matthews on the outside and Landry in the slot.  I think Stills sucks...but he could be the #4.   But if Matthews leaves, I'd put Landry outside and find a new slot...I love the idea of Landry lined up wide.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm letting everyone walk unless I can get Shelby at a bargain price for depth. I'm going with bigger DE's and also cutting Grimes and Wake.

Matthews is not in my plans. We need more speed. Someone like Jalin Marshall is going to make someone very happy in round 4 or 5.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'm letting everyone walk unless I can get Shelby at a bargain price for depth. I'm going with bigger DE's and also cutting Grimes and Wake.  

I'm totally fine with that plan, other than Matthews like I said. 

Birdmond wrote:Matthews is not in my plans. We need more speed. Someone like Jalin Marshall is going to make someone very happy in round 4 or 5.

More speed at receiver would be great...we only have one speed guy (Stills) and IMO he's pretty much a waste...poor hands, poor route runner.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

I think we are a dumpster fire. The Dline has one starter inked, Suh. Wake is not only a year older but he's coming off major surgery. Grimes is old and his play seemed off last year. Albert is injured more every year and he's old. Both guards are near the bottom of the NFL. We don't have a backup tackle on either side. James has turf toe and sometimes that never heals. Matthews was our leading receiver till he was injured. I'm sure he's worth more to another team. Parker needs refining. Linebackers, need three. Corners, 2. QB, 1. 3-4 lineman. 2DE. Free safety. We've got more holes than Swiss cheese

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:52 am

CarsonChris wrote:I think we are a dumpster fire. The Dline has one starter inked, Suh. Wake is not only a year older but he's coming off major surgery. Grimes is old and his play seemed off last year. Albert is injured more every year and he's old. Both guards are near the bottom of the NFL. We don't have a backup tackle on either side. James has turf toe and sometimes that never heals. Matthews was our leading receiver till he was injured. I'm sure he's worth more to another team. Parker needs refining. Linebackers, need three. Corners, 2. QB, 1. 3-4 lineman. 2DE. Free safety. We've got more holes than Swiss cheese

Pretty obvious we have holes. The thing is you really can't name 5 teams in the NFL that don't.

The only holes we have that will be challenging to fill will be LB IMHO. The rest SHOULD be easy to fill based on what's available in the draft and FA.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:39 am

Easy to fill? Unless there's a dramatic change in scouting we are fucked six ways from Sunday! I have doubts that the team even thinks it needs upgraded guard play. We don't need bodies to plug holes we need players and this team confuses the two. I didn't add running back to my list but depending on Lamar Miller that's another need. Jay Ajayi isn't an NFL back.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:08 am

Yeah, that's the problem - positions that are easy to fill for seemingly every other team in the league are insurmountable impasses for the Dolphins.  I mean, look at how many years it took us to get a quality right tackle...and James isn't exactly a great player.  Finding even a decent guard has proven to be impossible, and landing a starting-caliber LB has been like finding a needle in a haystack.  Same with netting a corner in the draft.  I just don't trust this team at all, especially with Tannenbaum calling the shots, along with a GM that has been part of our crappy scouting department for a decade, and a head coach with final personnel say that's barely out of diapers.  It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I agree with Bird that the Phins' problems should be realtively easy to address over the next two offseasons...but they're easy only if the people calling the shots are competent.  I'm not convinced competence exists anywhere in this power structure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:15 am

CarsonChris wrote:Jay Ajayi isn't an NFL back.

And that's been the biggest problem with the Dolphins.  We draft players at certain positions, and then the following year those positions are still a need because the guys we drafted aren't good enough to earn starting jobs. 

--We drafted a RB last season, and if Miller leaves we still need a starting RB. 
--We drafted two corners last year, and we still need at least one starting corner (and probably two if Grimes gets cut) and quality depth. 
--We drafted a safety last year, and we still need a starting safety. 
--We drafted a guard last season, and we still need two starting guards. 

It never ends with this team.  Every draft is an epic FAIL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:33 am

Don't forget the open question for #2 DT, after spending a 2nd round pick on Jordan Phillips last year.

Jury still out - even Gardener struggled in year 1, and Paul Solai looked worthless until year 3 or 4 (cant remember).
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down