Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by mercury22nathan on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:11 am

i could've sworn Philbin said the same thing.

Dolphins offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen made this clear Tuesday: This team is going to play up-tempo the majority of the time, but it will manifest itself in different ways, including some no-huddle.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article82337747.html

ah yes, and this is the year Rob Konrad will be used more out of the backfield... and Larry Shannon and Kirby Dar Dar will be legitimate down field threats.

mercury22nathan

Posts : 491
Join date : 2015-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by JMP on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 am

Up-tempo and no huddle only work if you're getting first downs.  Even Philbin and Lazor were smart enough to realize that, and that's why we rarely saw it used in recent years.  If you aren't moving the chains, up-tempo just means you're putting more pressure on your defense.

Sounds like a great idea on paper, but I won't believe it works till I actually see it.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3438
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by DolFan 316 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:26 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:ah yes, and this is the year Rob Konrad will be used more out of the backfield...  and Larry Shannon and Kirby Dar Dar will be legitimate down field threats.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ah, those were the days...

And apparently they still are the days almost 20 years later. (Starts sobbing.)

DolFan 316

Posts : 2240
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by scotgif on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 pm

Even Spongebob talked about going uptempo.
avatar
scotgif

Posts : 226
Join date : 2015-04-08
Location : Laurel, MD.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by Degarmo on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:06 am

What's this fascination with up tempo anyway? It's an interesting theory, but I'd rather eat clock and score TDs. Keep that defense out on the field and then kill them in the fourth quarter. I'm more old school though. Up tempo only works if you score a shitload of points.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1112
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by JMP on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:23 am

Degarmo wrote:What's this fascination with up tempo anyway?  It's an interesting theory, but I'd rather eat clock and score TDs.  Keep that defense out on the field and then kill them in the fourth quarter.  I'm more old school though.  Up tempo only works if you score a shitload of points.

Exactly. The goal should be scoring TDs, however you can get them, and not trying to move super-fast and trick the opposition. I HATE the emphasis on trickery and deception over just beating your opponent, but that seems to be what every offense wants to do these days. I guess I'm old school that way too. My idea of good football is 11 players lining up and winning the one-on-one battle with the guy they are up against on a particular play...not trying to catch them off-guard or out of position. If you do catch them sleeping, great - but the goal should be beating your opponent and scoring TDs. I'm not interested in one-minute drives that make my defense tired. I just want to dominate the opponent.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3438
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by Degarmo on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:48 am

Today's game is screaming for a team that just punches you in the mouth every play.  This finesse garbage is fine for a little while, but some neanderthal football is necessary from time to time.  Let them know you mean business.  Stop trying to trick them every play and just beat the guy's ass in front of you for once.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1112
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by white1 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:34 am

One wrinkle I read, maybe from the Christensen interview, is that sometimes we will go to the line quickly to prevent defensive substitutions but then pause and read the defensive set.

I am assuming the radio to the QB still works at the line of scrimmage? You could see Gase calling in an audible to Tannehill in that case. Or he sends him a couple options and lets Tannehill choose which to audible.

In any case that's the key distinction I thought I caught. Up tempo out of the huddle, but sometimes snap it quick, other times pause and call an audible to get into the best play. Keep the defense off balance by varying the tempo and timing.

It's a fine concept and it's sound. As many have stated, and as Gase (or Christensen) said, no offense is any good if you're going 3 and out all the time and punting the ball. At the end of the day, we must block for the running game, protect Tannehill, and Tanny must step up and play good football. Our receivers must separate, run the right routes and catch the ball. Any tricks, tempo and/or pace are useless if we fail to execute.

white1

Posts : 1269
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by rightchea on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 pm

white1 wrote:One wrinkle I read, maybe from the Christensen interview, is that sometimes we will go to the line quickly to prevent defensive substitutions but then pause and read the defensive set.  

I am assuming the radio to the QB still works at the line of scrimmage? You could see Gase calling in an audible to Tannehill in that case. Or he sends him a couple options and lets Tannehill choose which to audible.

In any case that's the key distinction I thought I caught.  Up tempo out of the huddle, but sometimes snap it quick, other times pause and call an audible to get into the best play.  Keep the defense off balance by varying the tempo and timing.  

It's a fine concept and it's sound.  As many have stated, and as Gase (or Christensen) said, no offense is any good if you're going 3 and out all the time and punting the ball.  At the end of the day, we must block for the running game, protect Tannehill, and Tanny must step up and play good football.  Our receivers must separate, run the right routes and catch the ball.  Any tricks, tempo and/or pace are useless if we fail to execute.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

rightchea

Posts : 1212
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by JMP on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:23 pm

One of the keys is going to be how well Tannehill learns to make line changes when he identifies pressure. The problem his whole career has been that he can't read pre-snap pressure...he has no idea where the pressure is coming from. That's a major weakness that the coaches must correct. If he can't learn how to do that, up-tempo is meaningless.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3438
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by Degarmo on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:15 pm

JMP wrote:One of the keys is going to be how well Tannehill learns to make line changes when he identifies pressure.  The problem his whole career has been that he can't read pre-snap pressure...he has no idea where the pressure is coming from.  That's a major weakness that the coaches must correct.  If he can't learn how to do that, up-tempo is meaningless.

You know also that Pouncey is supposed to identify a lot of that stuff then relay it to Tannehill pre-snap too. Another reason I don't think he's all that at center.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1112
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by JMP on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:21 am

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:One of the keys is going to be how well Tannehill learns to make line changes when he identifies pressure.  The problem his whole career has been that he can't read pre-snap pressure...he has no idea where the pressure is coming from.  That's a major weakness that the coaches must correct.  If he can't learn how to do that, up-tempo is meaningless.

You know also that Pouncey is supposed to identify a lot of that stuff then relay it to Tannehill pre-snap too.  Another reason I don't think he's all that at center.

Yep, absolutely - the QB and C have to work together to identify pressure and make the correct line changes. Tannehill and Pouncey both suck at it.

When you talk about up-tempo offense, one of the keys is reading the D pre-snap so you can find weaknesses to exploit. But at the same time, you also need to be aware of potential weaknesses on your offense that the defense can exploit - and adjust accordingly. That's what separates the good from the bad, and we all saw last season that the Phins had no ability to read and adjust....none.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3438
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by Degarmo on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:52 pm

From the line calls I've watched on this team, I'd say Pouncey sucks more than Tannehill does at it. Tannehill's biggest issue in the pocket right now is presence. He's a quarter-second too slow, which ends up in accuracy issues and some sacks - not a lot of them, just some. If he can change that in a new system, and he's going to need control to be able to do it, then we might have something.

I'm not holding my breath on that though. I still say he's Steve DeBerg.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1112
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Phins offense to be up-tempo, again

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum