The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offense sucks

+3
DolFan 316
JEGnj
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Offense sucks Empty Offense sucks

Post by CarsonChris Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Adam Gase just got his first real idea about the Dolphins. No motivation. Stems from the QB play. Need to insert the third stringer. I think this team is doomed otherwise.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Offense sucks Empty Re: Offense sucks

Post by CarsonChris Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:20 pm

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:53 am

There is a reason I call him Tannegobber.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Let's see now...the Fins lost arguably their best offensive player in Miller, didn't even come close to adequately replacing him until finally signing Foster, their top pick apparently can't even beat out Dallas Thomas at guard, and they neither drafted nor signed anyone else of any consequence on offense. And it's performing badly so far, you say? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you! Laughing

If there's any benefit at all to this season, hopefully it'll be Gase realizing that Tannehill isn't the answer and the Fins finally parting ways with him. This team could just as easily win 4-6 games with any of us at QB, to be honest.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:40 pm

BTW you know it's bad when the coach comes right out and says it, because this is the time of year when coaches of teams who will vie for the league's worst record are constantly yammering on about how good the players look, how hard they're working, how well everything's coming along, etc. Everybody's a SB contender in August. So for a coach not to be at the very least guardedly optimistic under THESE circumstances is scarier than any horror movie could ever be affraid

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:44 pm

I don't think Tannehill is capable of inspiring the players around him to be better. Teams rally around a leader. Tannehill hasn't been the guy that the team will lay it on the line for

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Pretty pathetic that the offense sleepwalks through a scrimmage when the D is completely fired up. Then again, the offense has been sleepwalking ever since Tannehill got here...players change, coaches change, and the results stay the same. The one constant is Tannehill.

Of course, having one of the worst OL coaches in the league sure doesn't help matters either.

I also find it funny that Gase was hired to fix the offense and they already look worse than ever. The Indian Burial Ground Curse takes another victim! geek

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm sure if you polled the players they would all give a vote of no confidence in the QB. Starts back four years ago when Moore outplayed him. Then they turned Moore into a clipboard holder and a lap dog. If the team wants to get serious it makes a competition out of every position.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:29 am

Too early to panic, but 'sleepwalking' is a pretty strong indictment of how disappointed Gase was with his offense.

It is shocking that he was so clear with this criticism, but that could be just because I'm so accustomed to Philbin and his non-answers all the time, given with all the personality of a phone book.

New system, new offense and a few new players - but the same Tannehill. He better get this right. As one of the commenters on Deadspin said in the "Why Your Team Sucsks 2016", somehow this is his third "make or break" year in a row. This time, I really believe it is.

Gase is not going to ride or die with a QB he doesn't believe in. He's giving him every chance, all the control, and making him lead meetings. Additionally, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino are giving him time as mentors. Every resource at his disposal. IMO, he's fresh out of excuses. Bad o-line? Throw the damn ball quicker.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:45 am

DolFan 316 wrote:BTW you know it's bad when the coach comes right out and says it, because this is the time of year when coaches of teams who will vie for the league's worst record are constantly yammering on about how good the players look, how hard they're working, how well everything's coming along, etc. Everybody's a SB contender in August. So for a coach not to be at the very least guardedly optimistic under THESE circumstances is scarier than any horror movie could ever be affraid

I glad that he said it. I am sick of Miami coaches saying that "they had a good practice" or " there some things that we need to work on but we did good today", I want to hear a coach say that he wasn't happy with the offense and all the other things that he had to say.

2017 first round pick: Brad Kaaya QB University of Miami

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:36 am

Let's hope that Gase isn't one of these Martzian "geniuses" who need Hall of Fame players to get their "miracle system" to actually function.  Offense is always shit early on, particularly when they're installing an entirely new offense.  Put into that a brand-new head coach who thinks he's amazing (and has proven not one god damned thing), a bunch of new players, a group of running backs that wouldn't make a one-ply wall of wet Scott tissue nervous, and an offensive line that is about as effective as a cement enema, and you get . . . hey, you get a big pile of shit!  (Albeit one that's full of wet rocks and sand.)

That said, if Tannehill sleepwalks through this camp, I want him on the bench to begin the year.  Show that you give a shit.  If you want to go be a doctor, go be a doctor.  If you want to be a QB in the NFL, do it like you mean it.  I don't need him to be fiery like Marino, but there are little things that he can do that will make a huge difference.  I don't know if he has "leader" in him at all.

EDIT - I will say this about Gase, he was questioned recently about dink-and-dunk in his offense, and I'm sure it was the usual douchebags, and he said that's what the league is right now other than maybe Pittsburgh and Arizona. Then he said this, and I like this answer a lot:

"I'm fine with it," Gase said, his brows furrowing. "I'm the one scripting plays and calling plays, so I'm obviously fine with it. There's a time and place for it. But there's also a time and place not to get sacked 60 times in a year, too."

Until Tannehill grasps the new offense, the line learns to block (that will be never for a couple guys) and the running backs learn to block as well, expect a lot of 5-yard passes. The good news? That's perfect for Landry's skill set.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:12 am

Totally agree. Also, Arian Foster (while healthy, we know it's highly likely he doesn't make it through all 16 games) can be deadly taking short passes a long way.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:56 pm

The short passing game only works if you're using it to set up big pass plays AND you have receivers that can break tackles. Yes, Foster will be key...but as we saw last year, if all you do is throw short passes and no one breaks tackles, all you're doing is creating long yardage situations on 2nd and 3rd down, and stifling your offense. I saw enough dink and dunk last season to last me a lifetime...it sucks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:25 am

Dink and dunk is why I watch less football now than ever before.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:13 am

And now the dink and dunk approach has infected and infested Madden. It's in every team's default playbook, so that's what players pretty much have to do.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:36 am

And when people say "that's what the Steelers do", it makes me laugh. the Steelers are a big play offense. Antonio Brown is a big play waiting to happen every time he touches the ball, Bell is arguably the best back in the NFL, they have other receivers that make big plays constantly...and oh yeah, Big Ben is a helluva QB that throws the deep ball as good as any QB in the NFL in the past decade. Sure, the Steelers do some dink and dunk...and then they kill you with big plays. The Dolphins? Yeah, not so much...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 am

It's really weird how when the good teams dink and dunk (Pats) they move the ball and score lots of points, but when the Fins do it there's just lots of 3 yard passes on 3rd and 4 followed by punts instead.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:05 am

Excellent point you've summed it up.

I could care less if our offense is dink-and-dunk, if we are scoring PPG ranking us in the top 10 of the league.

It's not so much the dink and dunk as it is a critique of an offense that's ranked in the bottom third in every meaningful category. As long as it's effective, throw all the 7 yard slants you want. Score. And score often.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:44 am

Fun fact: Last year's team completed only 2 fewer passes than the '84 Fins, but for 1207 fewer yards and 25 fewer TDs.

Fun fact #2: The '14 Fins set the franchise record for completions in a season--for 82 fewer yards than last year's team.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:27 am

The reasons that the dink and dunk offenses don't work en masse is that statistically they're bound to fail. Hell, even Bellichick's defenses have been predicated on letting teams get short yardage because eventually they'll shoot themselves in the foot if they run too many plays. The longer the drive is in plays, the more often the drive will fail.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:09 am

It's like the old joke about Player X. On 3rd and 2 he'll get you 2 yards. On 3rd and 10 he'll get you 2 yards.

All I really want is to see an offense where, when the receiver catches the ball, he's already got the first down instead of having to break 3 tackles to get it. This shouldn't be too much to ask, and yet this team makes it seem like an impossible task. 10 yards to the Fins seems equal to 50 for every other team.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:06 pm

It's so prevalent these days. That's why we see stat lines like 29-48 for 215 yards. It sucks. I'd rather watch the old rushing teams than this crap.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down