The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why the run defense sucks

4 posters

Go down

Why the run defense sucks Empty Why the run defense sucks

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:57 am

Who’s at fault for the Dolphins ranking an astounding 31st against the run?

According to Pro Football Focus, the blame rests primarily with four players:

1) Earl Mitchell (rated 187th among 187 qualifying interior defenders against the run; incidentally, backups Jordan Phillips and CJ Mosley are 172nd and 173rd);

2) now injured Cam Wake (rated 128th against the run among edge defenders);

3) Olivier Vernon (107th); and

4) Kelvin Sheppard, rated 142nd of 162 linebackers against the run.

PFF doesn’t blame these four who all rank in the top 40 at their positions against the run: Suh (37), Derrick Shelby (40), Koa Misi and to a lesser extent, Jelani Jenkins (fifth and 40th).

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/11/um-taking-fresh-look-at-butch-davis-canes-coach-search-notes-dolphin-heat-marlins-chatter.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Why the run defense sucks Empty Re: Why the run defense sucks

Post by Degarmo Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 am

The linebackers don't make plays, which make it easier for the OL to just tie up the DL. If the linebackers were to properly shoot their gaps and make tackles, the OL would need to put a priority on getting them blocked, which would lead to single-team blocks on the linemen, or at least less traps, draws, and the like.

Merc, you know all about O-line play and how you deal with an aggressive front 4, but a terrible LB corps. You don't need to get out there and block those guys behind the DL because they'll stand there and wait for the play, take the bad angle, or generally not do shit once they get there. You chop down the big trees and get 4-6 yards easily (unless there's a big run blitz) because the run stuffers behind the line aren't doing their jobs.

I feel that's the case here. They can just double, trap, use momentum at the point of attack and let the linebackers do their substandard job of not reacting to the play. Misi, although ranked higher against the run, is famous for this. He's like Bob Brudzinski back in the day. He'd make a lot of tackles, 6-8 yards down the field.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:40 am

This defense, like many in the NFL, is based on the DL occupying blockers so the LBs are free to make plays. The Dolphins' problem is that their DL doesn't consistently occupy blockers, and their LBs are incapable of making plays.

Like Degarmo, I place the majority of blame on the LBs, because even when the DL does it's job the LBs don't get a hand on a RB till he's run 5+ yards...and even then they usually don't make the tackle anyway. This issue is made worse by the fact that every Miami DB not named Jones or Grimes has zero tackling ability. Week after week, I see the LBs and DBs missing tackles, getting run over, taking bad angles, etc. Most of the guys in the back 7 should not be playing in the NFL at all, let alone starting.

I've said it many times, but the Dolphins have the worst LB corps in the NFL, and it's not even close. Jenkins is serviceable at best, Sheppard does nothing, and Misi is an absolute liability. I have no idea what the coaches see in Misi, because he is simply terrible to my eyes. He's the king of poor angles, and he almost always makes his tackles from behind (after the ball-carrier has already beaten him). It's pathetic to watch.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Totally agree with what you guys have said here.

It really makes me feel worse for Campbell. He's basically got a toothless defense, with a junior secondary coach as defensive coordinator, and he's trying to win games. Let's face it, with our offense we aren't winning any shootouts either.

He's got this great opportunity to try and win the job, but his squad is so flawed in so many ways, there's a definite ceiling on what he can do and I'm not sure there is a floor.

It's a shame. In a different situation with a better roster he could prove to be one of the next great coaches in the league. We'll likely see him blossom elsewhere, eventually.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:47 pm

white1 wrote:Totally agree with what you guys have said here.

It really makes me feel worse for Campbell.  He's basically got a toothless defense, with a junior secondary coach as defensive coordinator, and he's trying to win games.  Let's face it, with our offense we aren't winning any shootouts either.

He's got this great opportunity to try and win the job, but his squad is so flawed in so many ways, there's a definite ceiling on what he can do and I'm not sure there is a floor.

It's a shame.  In a different situation with a better roster he could prove to be one of the next great coaches in the league.  We'll likely see him blossom elsewhere, eventually.

Yep, this is a bad, bad coaching staff. Anarumo I can forgive, because he was thrown into the DC position with no notice. Lazor is a different story. He's a snake-oil salesman who sold the Dolphins a bill of goods, riding on the coattails of Chip Kelly (who is likewise a charlatan). Lazor convinced the Dolphins that he was some sort of creative offensive guru, but in reality he's an arrogant, clueless dick that refuses to adapt his scheme.

I feel bad for Campbell..between the roster and the coaching staff, he's doomed to fail.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down