The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East

4 posters

Go down

NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East Empty NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East

Post by JMP Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492688/article/tom-brady-fallout-new-england-patriots-will-still-win-afc-east

This is written by Adam Schein, who is a Jets fan. Here are his 9 reasons why the Pats will win the East even with the "Deflategate" issue (read the article for detail on each point):

1) They employ the best coach in NFL history
2) Tom Brady is still going to play football this year
3) Yes, Brady is primed to embark on the greatest revenge tour ever
4) Jimmy Garoppolo can play
5) The Buffalo Bills aren't ready for prime time
6) The Miami Dolphins are postseason-ready -- but not as division champs
7) The New York Jets are vastly improved, but...Geno Smith is still the starting quarterback.
Cool Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman are stars
9) New England's defense is underrated

I pretty much agree with all 9 of his points, although I'd still put Belicheat behind Shula, and I am not convinced that the 2015 Phins will win 10 games. Sadly, I just think the Patriots know how to win and overcome adversity, and they'll run away with the division again.

Here's what Schein said about the Phins:

6) The Miami Dolphins are postseason-ready -- but not as division champs

In last week's Schein Nine, I spotlighted teams that are ready to make a jump after the draft -- and led with the Dolphins. I think Miami's had a fabulous offseason, bringing in Ndamukong Suh (via free agency) and DeVante Parker (draft) while getting rid of malcontent Mike Wallace (trade). This is a talented team with legit playoff aspirations.

But I'm not the biggest believer in Joe Philbin, and thus, I think the Dolphins max out at 10 wins. Meanwhile, the Pats, with Belichick and Brady (for at least 12 games), will eclipse that mark, with 11 or 12 wins.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East Empty Re: NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East

Post by white1 Sun May 17, 2015 11:02 am

Hard to argue with his major points.

Expanding on his thoughts, Philbin's relative mediocrity affects the team in all phases - from our underwhelming defense to our offense that remains flawed and rarely eliminates deficiencies that surface early in the season.

When your coaches are average, the better coaches in the league are able to out game plan the Fins, putting their players in better positions to win matchups.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East Empty Re: NFL.COM article: Patriots will still win the AFC East

Post by Birdmond Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

I think the loss of Revis is a huge loss that many take way too lightly. The main thing to me is there is no way NE gets home field in the playoffs. Miami and NE both have better QB's than the Bills and Jets but I think both teams are really bad match ups for Miami and New England. It's going to be fun.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon May 18, 2015 9:11 am

Well NE is good for cheating so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do something else to win.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 am

Birdmond wrote:I think the loss of Revis is a huge loss that many take way too lightly.  The main thing to me is there is no way NE gets home field in the playoffs.   Miami and NE both have better QB's than the Bills and Jets but I think both teams are really bad match ups for Miami and New England.  It's going to be fun.  

Any time you lose a top-shelf player, it hurts - so losing Revis is definitely a big deal. But, I think the Patriots have a very talented young secondary. They may experience some growing pains, but there's a lot to work with and I think the coaching staff can get the most out of them. Losing Wilfork is also huge, but Malcom Brown should be an excellent fit once he learns the D.

It seems like the Patriots defense is fairly easy to learn, and they've had great success with bringing new guys in with the "plug-and-play" philosophy.

As for the Pats getting home field, I don't even care about that. What matters to me is that IMO they are still the team to beat in the East, and I don't think the Phins, Jets or Bills can compete with them for the division.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 am

Not getting home field just means they won't win a playoff game and that pleases me. I also don't like the odds of Gronk playing two seasons without injury. I don't see NE wining at Buffalo or NY. I also see us splitting with NE and sweeping them IF, and it's a gigantic IF, Albert and Cameron are healthy.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon May 18, 2015 11:06 am

Looking at the schedule I can see NE starting 2-5 if the suspension is upheld.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 am

Birdmond wrote:Not getting home field just means they won't win a playoff game and that pleases me.   I also don't like the odds of Gronk playing two seasons without injury.  I don't see NE wining at Buffalo or NY.  I also see us splitting with NE and sweeping them IF, and it's a gigantic IF,  Albert and Cameron are healthy.  

I'm tired of rooting for other teams to lose just because I'm pissed off about how mediocre the Phins are. At this point, if the Phins aren't going to be in the playoffs (and I don't think they will be) I don't care what other teams do.

I think the Patriots will win 11 or 12 games and dominate the division as usual. Inconsistent QB play will be the downfall of the other three teams IMO. I'm assuming that Brady's suspension will be cut to 2 games, but even if it isn't I think the Pats will be just fine with Garoppolo...I think he's going to be a great QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down