The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Linebackers: Alonso move?

+2
finfanatic
white1
6 posters

Go down

Miami Linebackers: Alonso move? Empty Miami Linebackers: Alonso move?

Post by white1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am

Funny we have been chatting about this, details from Mando:

During an animated meeting in December the Miami Dolphins considered moving Kiko Alonso out of his middle linebacker spot and to an outside (weakside) position to address some of the flaws among the team’s linebacker corps.

The idea was to move Alonso outside and use second-year reserve Mike Hull as the team’s middle linebacker instead. And the argument for the change was that Alonso outside and Hull in the middle could be more productive than, say, Alonso in the middle and reserve Spencer Paysigner or someone else outside.

Ultimately, the idea was rejected.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article126974889.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article126974889.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Miami Linebackers: Alonso move? Empty Re: Miami Linebackers: Alonso move?

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 am

LB is a glaring weakness for the team.

Something needs to be done, but I am more inclined to think a big mean nasty MLB needs to be drafted and GROW into the leadership position on the team.

I would get rid of Misi. Coaches love him but he is a backup LB at best.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm

also from the above referenced article...

The Dolphins, sources say, didn’t want to “mess with Kiko’s head” three months into the season by asking him to move. The team also wasn’t certain moving Alonso to a position he had not played or practice much at the entire season would be an upgrade.

i am curious, between whom was this "animated" meeting. who wanted him moved? who didn't want him to be moved? was their friction between coaches...perhaps a recently departed DC and newly promoted (formerly LB coach) DC? did Gase poke his head into the defensive room - or did he even know the meeting was taking place? was it maybe Alonso himself who was protesting the move?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm in favor of anything that takes Alonso out of the MLB position. While I'm not a big Mike Hull fan, I think having him in the middle and Alonso at weakside would have been a better configuration than what we used.

Definitely a very interesting story though, and would love to know who was involved, as merc said.

Alonso should just thank the Phins for handing him a starting job and play wherever they tell him to, because without that Eagles trade he'd probably still be a backup somewhere.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:24 pm

I found that interesting also.

Legitimate argument, he had spent all of camp and the season playing MLB, would switching him without a bye week and in December no less, really pay off or result in more mental mistakes?

Then again, I do get the perspective of Hull - Alonso being a better net duo than Alonso - Paysinger.

That's why it's not an easy argument. I can't say who was wrong or right, both approaches have positives and negatives.

Now, given a full offseason to install a new LB corps? Absolutely I play Alonso where I think he fits best. No question.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm

finfanatic wrote:LB is a glaring weakness for the team.

Something needs to be done, but I am more inclined to think a big mean nasty MLB needs to be drafted and GROW into the leadership position on the team.

I would get rid of Misi. Coaches love him but he is a backup LB at best.

No worries. Misi is gone. I would also like a beast in the middle.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:54 pm

First thing first, get rid of Paysinger. He made too many mistakes and not enough plays. This killed Miami in a lot of games. Address the LB issue in the draft. There is not many but at the same time you can find someone that is good.

I sick of them moving players around. If the player is not doing good in one position then replace them and stop trying to make them fit

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 pm

First thing first, get rid of Paysinger. He made too many mistakes and not enough plays. This killed Miami in a lot of games. Address the LB issue in the draft. There is not many but at the same time you can find someone that is good.

Interesting take. I actually think Paysinger maybe our top backup right now, or he's in the top 2 as a backup. Butler is probably worse, and he's starting. I'd probably dump him instead. Hewitt/Hull likely stick due to how cheap they are, and they will probably continue to improve. Worse case you can cut them in camp if you find somebody (or multiple somebodies) better.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Realistically you can dump this entire LB corps from top to bottom and not lose any sleep over it.

That said, Paysinger is the best STs LB we have and I'd argue that he might actually be our best LB against the run. He's certainly not great and probably shouldn't be a starter, but I do think he's more of a keeper than not.

Agreed on Hewitt/Hull...they're cheap and at least have some ability that can be developed. It's really the starters that need upgrades, desperately.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down