The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?

+8
rightchea
Degarmo
JEGnj
HalCHorn
Birdmond
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
white1
12 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?

Post by scotgif Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:56 am

I say roll with Moore as the starter. No to rg111, Kap and cutler. No clue who should be the back up. I've heard talk of Osweiler or Semian. Colt McCoy anyone? rg111 can not stay healthy, do not want the media shit show signing kap would bring, and culter has always been an immature punk to me. No thanks.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?

Post by Birdmond Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 am

My money is on Cutler simply because he knows the offense. Kap would be my choice just because of mobility.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:21 am

How would you guys feel about signing Cousins next year and trading Tanny boy?

Yes. I'd do it in an instant. Year 3 under Gase, we need a QB with a lot fewer question marks. If Tanny is untradeable, use the "out clause" and just release him.

Regarding Cutler - Kaepernick, I am seriously mystified about the apparent coveting of Jay Cutler. In short, I think he sucks. Plus, I heard on ESPN last night he wants to start, and he wants starter money. Ummmm, how is that going to work for us, exactly?

Kaep is in no position to make any such demand, and he'll be far cheaper. Sign him, give up no draft picks, and start him out as a backup to Moore.

I am totally uninterested in the trade scenarios I am hearing. If we're going to trade, trade for a goddamn guard and solve the position for once.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am

scotgif wrote:I say roll with Moore as the starter. No to rg111, Kap and cutler. No clue who should be the back up. I've heard talk of Osweiler or Semian. Colt McCoy anyone? rg111 can not stay healthy, do not want the media shit show signing kap would bring, and culter has always been an immature punk to me. No thanks.

Unless Cutler is signed, there's really no choice - Moore is clearly the starter. You can't bring in a new QB now and expect him to learn the offense quickly enough. Maybe a new QB can come in and take over down the road if (when) Moore struggles, but for now it is Moore's job.

Cutler knows the offense and can probably start day one if he's in shape. BUT...Jay Cutler is just Matt Moore with a larger bank account. They are essentially the same type of crappy QB. Gase may prefer the familiarity with Cutler, but I'd rather have a more dynamic option that can bring something different to the table. Kaep at least can run, and he doesn't turn the ball over. Political opinions aside, I think I'd bring him in to back up Moore and maybe take over at some point.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 am

Totally agree.

The dealbreaker for me is the reported intent from Cutler to not only start week 1, but under a starting caliber contract. All this for the immeasurably small "upgrade" (and I'm not sure anyone can tell you with confidence he would be an upgrade) from Moore.

No. A thousand times no.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 am

The season's over already. Some people here are in denial and that's why they're having crazy thoughts IMO. It literally doesn't matter who the backup QB is, ain't nobody riding in here on a white horse and saving this team from 1-15. For one thing Kaepernick would insist on a black horse. (Rim shot.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 am

DolFan 316 wrote:The season's over already. Some people here are in denial and that's why they're having crazy thoughts IMO. It literally doesn't matter who the backup QB is, ain't nobody riding in here on a white horse and saving this team from 1-15. For one thing Kaepernick would insist on a black horse. (Rim shot.)

LOL

You're right - the backup QB doesn't even matter at this point. I still think we can win 6 or 7 games, but as we all know that's actually worse than going 1-15 in the grand scheme of things.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:06 am

I still think we can win 6 or 7 games

I believe Vegas set the over/under at 7 for us. Likely due to the schedule, along with general talent level on this roster.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am

Actually it was 7.5 - I wonder if we'll be downgraded now that Tanny looks to miss significant time.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Cutler is only in the conversation because of his previous stint under Gase. I don't think you can change his DNA. Cutler will only be a 1 year solution. If you are really going after a 1 year solution I would go after Romo. He ha better upside. With assumption that Tannehill is going to recover, the guy they bring in is gone as soon as the season ends. Moore has been on this team he has built chemistry. I know some think differently, but we have improved a couple things since the season ended last year. He is an average starter but given everything he's the best thing we can do.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Umix10 wrote:Cutler is only in the conversation because of his previous stint under Gase.  I don't think you can change his DNA.  Cutler will only be a 1 year solution. If you are really going after a 1 year solution I would go after Romo.  He ha better upside.  With assumption that Tannehill is going to recover, the guy they bring in is gone as soon as the season ends.  Moore has been on this team he has built chemistry.  I know some think differently, but we have improved a couple things since the season ended last year.  He is an average starter but given everything he's the best thing we can do.

Agreed on Cutler. But Romo??? Hell no...the guy can't stay healthy at all. No need to replace our injured QB with a QB that's always injured himself.

Any QB we pick up now is a one-year replacement, absolutely. But don't be so sure that Tannehill remains a Dolphin beyond this year. We'll have to see the status of his knee, and he's also making a ton of money. Depending on his timetable to return, the Phins may not want to continue to pay a guy that isn't playing.

As for Moore, we know what he is and that's not going to change. He'll make some plays from time to time and he will beat bad teams, but he's a turnover machine and I don't have any faith that he can beat a quality team in a big spot. And the Dolphins didn't improve anything on offense in the offseason. The only real addition was Julius Thomas, and he is a huge question mark. We added a lot on D, but did we improve? Hard to say when we're running the same scheme that we ran last season, a scheme which seems antiquated and will likely continue to be exploited by smart teams.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:44 pm

just curious about folks thoughts on a hypothetical... what if the Moore-led Phins are sitting at 4-1 (Bucs, Chargers, Jets, Saints and Titans) heading into week 6 (Falcons) and a healed Tannehill has been cleared to play with a week of practice under his belt. do you continue with Moore or do hand the team back to Tannehill?

please don't argue that the situation could never happen, just answer the dilemma.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:just curious about folks thoughts on a hypothetical...  what if the Moore-led Phins are sitting at 4-1 (Bucs, Chargers, Jets, Saints and Titans) heading into week 6 (Falcons) and a healed Tannehill has been cleared to play with a week of practice under his belt.  do you continue with Moore or do hand the team back to Tannehill?

please don't argue that the situation could never happen, just answer the dilemma.  

I'd sign up for 4-1 right now. 1-4 or 2-3 is more realistic, but in this hypothetical situation I'd hand the reigns back to Tannehill as soon as he's ready. This is Tannehill's team now and he gives us the best chance to win IMO. Moore is very limited and simply doesn't have the skillset that Tannehill has.

I will say this: I fully expect Matt Moore to beat the Jets. He's at his best when the competition sucks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:04 pm

just read that miami reached out to Culter

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 pm

rightchea wrote:just read that miami reached out to Culter

I noticed that Gase said something along the lines of Moore is our QB "right now" and if Tannehill misses significant time we'll see what we have to do...not word for word, but something like that. That tells me that maybe Gase isn't ready to hand the job to Moore - especially if in fact Gase did reach out to Cutler.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:22 pm

He should have gotten the surgery initially. God damn it.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I just don't get it.

From the outside looking in, Cutler looks like a horrible prospect yet he's the only one confirmed to this point that we've spoken to. In other words, clearly the first choice of the org.

I'm baffled. The stats just don't bear it out - he's not that good.

Is he even in shape? He's been "retired" for about 6 months now.... has he been working out and eating right?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm

white1 wrote:I just don't get it.  

From the outside looking in, Cutler looks like a horrible prospect yet he's the only one confirmed to this point that we've spoken to.  In other words, clearly the first choice of the org.

I'm baffled.  The stats just don't bear it out - he's not that good.

Is he even in shape? He's been "retired" for about 6 months now.... has he been working out and eating right?

Well, I think what it tell us is that Gase really likes Cutler and feels comfortable with him. It also tells us that finding a quality QB at this point of the offseason is a pretty difficult task. Just a bad situation all around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Lest we all forget, chalk up another "make or break" season as lost. I believe Tannehill will be 30 years old next year. Likely facing yet another "make or break" season.

Maybe we need to admit it's "break", and find a new starting QB. I just don't know anymore.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:53 pm

white1 wrote:Lest we all forget, chalk up another "make or break" season as lost.  I believe Tannehill will be 30 years old next year.  Likely facing yet another "make or break" season.

Maybe we need to admit it's "break", and find a new starting QB.  I just don't know anymore.

Regardless of how good or bad we think Tannehill is, the one thing everyone could agree on is that he was an iron man. Well, that's no longer the case. After 6 seasons what we're left with is a very highly-paid QB that is still loaded with more questions than answers, approaching the age of 30. I think it just may be time to move on. It's a damn shame that the team never bothered to groom a young QB behind Tannehill.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:02 pm

I think it just may be time to move on. It's a damn shame that the team never bothered to groom a young QB behind Tannehill.

I tend to agree. And how long are we going to saddle our young, promising head coach with a QB that is now not only all question marks, but damaged goods too?

Outbidding the league for Cousins is looking like our best move more and more, IMO. He's only one year younger than Tannehill, but has proven he can play a full season at a very high level. In our offense with Gase at the helm, I have no question that can continue - if not improve further.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 pm

white1 wrote:Lest we all forget, chalk up another "make or break" season as lost.  I believe Tannehill will be 30 years old next year.  Likely facing yet another "make or break" season.

Maybe we need to admit it's "break", and find a new starting QB.  I just don't know anymore.

That's what I've been saying since this happened. Glad to see others starting to come around Cool

This team was only going to win around 7 games this season WITH a healthy roster. Now? If Gase can drag this battered bunch to 4 wins he should seriously win Coach Of The Year. And this is assuming no more than 3 other starters miss any significant time.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:12 pm

We should not get Cutler. I don't care how familiar. This is a telling sign. Moore is the starter. Cutler is familiar but not he best QB. It could go either way. Cutler wants starter money and playing time. He is turnover prone and doesn't make the right decisions. Big arm but Moore had more of a chemistry with the offense then cutler. We stick to Moore and poach other rosters for a potential future qb
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:50 am

Cutler is basically another Moore in my opinion and for the fact that Gase might be considering Cutler makes Miami look like more of a joke then ever. Sorry but I rather Miami go after Kaepernick let the season happen and draft another QB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm hearing 13 mil for a one year contract to bring cutler in. Although Moore has earned his shot. I don't pay a guy 13mil to sit behind another guy. Tannebaum and Gase had better do better than Cutler.

Take the time to see what;s out there bring in Kaep, look for a trade option for a potential rookie, Tannehill is getting to the age where he cant be the guy. His injury robs him from another prime year.

There are QB's our there on.other rosters that could potentially have an impact. IMHO Moore will.be on a very short leash no matter who we sign but this doesn't solve the bigger picture.

We need to find a replacement for Tannehill

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next