The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins FA signings

+7
Umix10
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
JEGnj
white1
rightchea
JMP
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dolphins FA signings - Page 2 Empty Re: Dolphins FA signings

Post by white1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 am

Now we added DE Emmanuel Ogbah 2 years $7.5 million guaranteed total. Coming off a torn pec, but productive and the injury is why the short term, cheap deal.

It's raining in the trenches! I love it!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 am

white1 wrote:Now we added DE Emmanuel Ogbah 2 years $7.5 million guaranteed total.  Coming off a torn pec, but productive and the injury is why the short term, cheap deal.  

It's raining in the trenches! I love it!

Another strong signing! Great size, good against the run with some pass rush ability.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 am

The theme I'm seeing is Grier is not allowing the team to tie up the cap long-term.  All of these deals are structured as relatively short term commitments.  Even the Jones contract (best and most expensive player signed) has team-friendly outs built in after year 3.  

While the team is being aggressive in free agency, they are also preserving that capability in the future.  It's a nod to the recognition not all of these moves will pan out, and we'll likely need to do more in the future.

To sum it up, you won't see us gritting our teeth because there's no way to move on from Reshad Jones (happened to us just last year).

I'm very pleased to this point.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:05 am

white1 wrote:The theme I'm seeing is Grier is not allowing the team to tie up the cap long-term.  All of these deals are structured as relatively short term commitments.  Even the Jones contract (best and most expensive player signed) has team-friendly outs built in after year 3.  

While the team is being aggressive in free agency, they are also preserving that capability in the future.  It's a nod to the recognition not all of these moves will pan out, and we'll likely need to do more in the future.

I'm very pleased to this point.  

Exactly. And all of these players are young. We're not signing over-the-hill 30-something year olds.

Love the way the D is setting up. Getting stronger against the run and adding a lot of flexibility with pass rush options.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:37 am

Timothy Rapp wrote:The Miami Dolphins continued upgrading their defense Tuesday, reportedly signing defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah to a two-year, $15 million deal, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The pact includes $7.5 million in guaranteed money.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2881473-dolphins-news-ex-chiefs-de-emmanuel-ogbah-agrees-to-2-year-15m-contract

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 pm

JEGnj wrote:I'm not liking it. We were supposed to draft and build a young team not sign FA Vets to cement us as an average franchise again.

Im in between. In the end, the "smokescreen" regarding the draft just cleared up with a whirlwind F/A.....and this is just day 1. IMHO, they are going all in on Tua. I don't think we have enough to move to number 1 without spending an absurd amount. Given that they are being wise with money in FA. I don't think they would over reach for Tua at #1. The #2 or #3 could be a more realistic.

If Miami signs one of the above average RB's and a starting caliber T. Im certain they go for Tua.

Although things may change, I don't see them bringing Fitz back to take Burrow. Burrow is a day 1 starter. Tua regardless of his hip is another year before assuming total control.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Tua sweepstakes really sits on if the Chargers or Bucs get Brady. If the Bucs get Brady then the chargers will feel the need to move up to get a good QB and I can see the charger giving up a lot to do so. Same thing for the Bucs. I don't see Miami giving up the world for Tua, I more see them going after Love or even Herbert later in the round.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm

per tweet
Mike Garafolo wrote:LB Kamu Grugier Hill heads to the #Dolphins on a 1-year deal, source says.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm

The thing with this free agent spending spree is that the Phins really aren't handing out outrageous contracts. The Jones deal is huge, but even that is relatively team-friendly. None of these new contracts are going to cripple the Dolphins in any way.

As far as QB in the draft - yes, I think Tua is still the Dolphins target. I'm really starting to think that the Phins can stay at 5 and get him. I still don't believe the Skins or Lions will take him, and at this point I don't see another team trading ahead of us. I think the Bucs get Brady and the Chargers are after Herbert - just a guess, but that's how I see it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:51 pm

rightchea wrote:per tweet
Mike Garafolo wrote:LB Kamu Grugier Hill heads to the #Dolphins on a 1-year deal, source says.

As long as he's healthy, he should be a key special teams player and quality backup LB.

And- the Dolphins are reportedly working to sign RB Jordan Howard from the Eagles.

EDIT - Jordan Howard signed a 2 year, $10,000,000 contract with the Dolphins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Howard great signing. Under-rated back. Not expensive, which is what the market will bear.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Always liked Howard - tough back that is very good on the goal-line. He'll be great in a tandem with a rookie back like Dobbins/Taylor/Swift.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:31 pm

Grugier Hill will certainly be a plus for Tua. Not that this bears weight in football but, Grugier Hill if from the Islands.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 pm

These signings, I'm seeing a shift to a much tougher football team. I'm very happy, VERY HAPPY INDEED.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Scott Polacek wrote:The Miami Dolphins added a new piece to their backfield on Tuesday when they reportedly agreed to sign running back Jordan Howard.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, it's a two-year deal worth more than $10 million.

While Howard may not represent a season-altering addition, he isn't far removed from back-to-back 1,000-yard efforts. After he entered the league as a fifth-round draft pick in 2016 out of Indiana University, he tallied a career-best 1,313 rushing yards, 298 receiving yards and seven total touchdowns as a rookie for the Chicago Bears.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2870415-jordan-howard-reportedly-nearing-contract-with-dolphins-after-1-year-with-eagles

Every player Miami has signed have been 25 and under. I like this type of signing.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:05 pm

The Howard signing surprises me because he's far more runner than receiver and doesn't fit the Pats mold of RBs, or the current NFL mold in general (which is why this is his 3rd team already). But I still prefer him to Gordon or any of the other diva RBs who tie up the cap without teams having anything to show for it. And they could still draft a RB and should, because this class is deeper than a Tibetan monk.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:07 pm

Degarmo wrote:These signings, I'm seeing a shift to a much tougher football team.  I'm very happy, VERY HAPPY INDEED.

I was wondering how you were doing, good to see you're still alive and functioning Very Happy cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:07 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The Howard signing surprises me because he's far more runner than receiver and doesn't fit the Pats mold of RBs, or the current NFL mold in general (which is why this is his 3rd team already). But I still prefer him to Gordon or any of the other diva RBs who tie up the cap without teams having anything to show for it. And they could still draft a RB and should, because this class is deeper than a Tibetan monk.

I think they'll use Howard similar to how the Patriots used LeGarrette Blount a few years back. He will split carries with a rookie most likely.

For the most part all of these signings make sense. Especially going heavy on edge D-line in what looks like a below average draft for edge rushers. It is a great draft for OT, so I see that need being addressed early now.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:16 pm

I like every move so far. And as has already been said, the players are young and we aren't breaking the long term bank. Is this really the Dolphins or are we in some bizarro world? Now if they can follow this up with a great draft...

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:24 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:These signings, I'm seeing a shift to a much tougher football team.  I'm very happy, VERY HAPPY INDEED.

I was wondering how you were doing, good to see you're still alive and functioning Very Happy cheers

I am ready for the scarcity Olympics to begin. I love being at home anyways, so this will be as a normal day for me. Bummed about no hockey playoffs though, but I can always do other things like read a dozen books I've been meaning to get to, which is probably far better for me in the long run. Very Happy

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:10 am

DolFan 316 wrote:The Howard signing surprises me because he's far more runner than receiver and doesn't fit the Pats mold of RBs, or the current NFL mold in general (which is why this is his 3rd team already). But I still prefer him to Gordon or any of the other diva RBs who tie up the cap without teams having anything to show for it. And they could still draft a RB and should, because this class is deeper than a Tibetan monk.

I think the Phins are prepared to draft a RB somewhere in rounds 1-3 that will eventually be the #1 guy. For now, Howard is a great short yardage back (an area we sucked in last season) and he's an excellent pass protector (an area we also sucked in last season), and he provides stability to a backfield that was a disaster in 2019. He's a smart player and does a lot of things well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:54 am

This is what Miami is getting out of Jordan Howard

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am

I think they overpaid for Jones, but, if he can keep up the level of play he had with the Jones-boys....

Kinda-sorta hard to decipher the plan here IMO. I am liking the go for young free agents, but these ain't necessarily cheap, like a drafted or undrafted rookie. But the level of play has certainly got to be better than rookies, so....

It does seem as if the Phins are PLANNING on winning this season. If they have a new rookie QB though.... some sound veteran play will almost certainly help with that.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:24 pm

If you want to get better you have to spend the money. The only person I really feel like Miami overpaid is Jones but at the same time he is an elite player and can make plays. Miami still have a lot of money to work with.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Dolphins signed Patriots G/C Ted Karras to a one-year, $4 million contract.

Decent signing - not a great player, but good depth at worst.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next