The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins at Jets short week primer

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dolphins at Jets short week primer Empty Dolphins at Jets short week primer

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:29 pm

After coming in for Zach Wilson in the second half of Sunday's defeat at Buffalo, Tim Boyle will be the Jets' starting quarterback Friday against the Miami Dolphins, SNY's Connor Hughes confirms.

Wilson's future with New York is now in doubt. The Jets releasing the former No. 2 overall draft pick and allowing him to start anew elsewhere this season is not out of the question, Hughes reported.

https://sny.tv/articles/jets-benching-zach-wilson-starting-tim-boyle-at-quarterback

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dolphins at Jets short week primer Empty Re: Dolphins at Jets short week primer

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:38 pm

Running back DeVon Achane won’t need surgery on his knee, but his injury on Sunday leaves his status in doubt for Friday’s game at the Jets (3 p.m., Amazon/CBS-4).

“He was feeling better this morning,” McDaniel said Monday afternoon. “It’s not going to require surgery. We are getting extra feedback and opinions and taking that day by day” this week.

Though his status for Friday seems highly questionable, McDaniel wasn’t ready to make a definitive statement on the matter. “There’s a chance he will or won’t” play Friday. “Would definitely not rule it out or rule it in.”

McDaniel said the five injured players who didn’t play on Sunday --guard Robert Hunt, guard Rob Jones, receivers Chase Claypool and Braxton Berrios and tight end Durham Smythe - will be questionable for Friday.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article281966543.html

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm

Boyle knows the offense well and yesterday he seemed to be a better decision-maker than Wilson. But this is a desperation move - a last-ditch effort to try and save their season. It won't work.

Sounds to me like Achane won't play, but I think we still in this one comfortably.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:49 pm

I am PRAYING that Saleh's continued macho man wannabe routine keeps hurting the players' poor widdle feewings and makes them continue to do the quiet quitting thing. Because that's the ONLY way the Fins will win. Just as I feared, the Bills managed to get them at the perfect time Evil or Very Mad I keep saying it's not who you play but when you play them. That goes for the Commanders too, with our luck they won't be anywhere near the team that lost by 2 scores to the Giants.

The only thing that gives me even a glimmer of an iota of hope is that this team survived the New Raiders. IF the Fins win (instead of getting shut out as I continue to feel they will) then the Jets may literally lose out like they did last season after 11 games. I do hear that they're desperately bringing back Aaron Rodgers to play in about 3 weeks. Just in time for the second Fins game, go figure...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:58 pm

Yeah, it sucks that the Phins are in last place at 3-7 and the Jets are unstoppable world-beaters.

Oh, wait... Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 pm

Love this quote from Jets' TE Tyler Conklin:

“I mean, I guess that’s what you hope for when you do it, right?” tight end Tyler Conklin said Monday when asked if a quarterback change could provide a spark, two hours before NFL Network initially reported the pivot. “You’re trying to find a spark or something to kind of jolt this offense. So obviously, we’re looking for that.

“Is that the answer? I have no idea. We’re going to find out, I guess, or whatever happens. … I think it can be.”

https://nypost.com/2023/11/20/sports/jets-bench-zach-wilson-for-tim-boyle/

Conklin sure sounds confident!  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:37 am

With KC's loss tonight every division leader now has 3 losses.

Got to get the job done this Friday. We cannot let the Bills gain ground on us.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:02 am

Bottom line: if you are a contender, you don't lose to an inferior team like the Jets.

As I said before the Raiders game, I don't care what the score is - just win. But I do expect the Phins to win this one comfortably. I think it will be a sloppy, boring, low-scoring game - because almost every game the Jets play ends up being sloppy, boring and low-scoring - but in the end we win by multiple scores. I'm gong 24-6 Dolphins, with the defense scoring a TD. (And yes, I know - that means another low-scoring game by the offense.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:09 am

JMP wrote:Bottom line: if you are a contender, you don't lose to an inferior team like the Jets.

I wish you wouldn't keep setting yourself up like this Crying or Very sad What are you going to say now if they DO lose? scratch

It's okay for ME to do it (I was going to pronounce the season over if they'd lost Sunday) but I'm the Potentate Of Pessimism, this is my normal state of being. I just hate to see others go down that road.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:13 am

HalCHorn wrote:With KC's loss tonight every division leader now has 3 losses.

In the AFC, yeah. It blows my mind that a team like the 49ers currently has more losses than the Lions, because IMO the 49ers are CLEARLY better.

And the Eagles are officially getting on my last nerve Evil or Very Mad Despite being two games better than the Fins and beating them by 14 did you know the Fins actually still have a better point differential? Or that 14 points is still the Eagles' largest margin of victory all season? I didn't think any non-AFC East team would irk me more than the Watsons and the Taylor Swifts but Philly has gone and done it!

Now watch them lose to the Bills and piss me off even more...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:22 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Bottom line: if you are a contender, you don't lose to an inferior team like the Jets.

I wish you wouldn't keep setting yourself up like this Crying or Very sad What are you going to say now if they DO lose? scratch

It's okay for ME to do it (I was going to pronounce the season over if they'd lost Sunday) but I'm the Potentate Of Pessimism, this is my normal state of being. I just hate to see others go down that road.

How do I "keep setting myself up"? When is the last time the Dolphins lost to a team with a crappy QB and a losing record? We're 7-3 and leading the East, and I'm riding this wave as far as it'll go. This is the best Dolphins season I've experienced in many, many years, and I'm not about to be scared of a garbage team like the Jets. Fuck the Jets.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:31 am

HalCHorn wrote:With KC's loss tonight every division leader now has 3 losses.  

That Chiefs loss opened the door wide for the Ravens. At this point, the Ravens are clearly the best team in the AFC - but they do have a tough schedule, and the Chiefs have an easy schedule. And the Jags and Dolphins are still very much in the mix for that top seed too - and they both play the Ravens. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out down the stretch - should be a dogfight right till the end.

The Chiefs receiving corps is absolute garbage. And I don't care what anyone says, Kelce is absolutely playing distracted. Too much off-field stuff going on with him, and it's hurting his play on the field. And what was with that playcalling last night? They DOMINATED on the ground in the first half, and then completely abandoned the running game in the second. Just terrible. But of course, I'm glad they lost! Twisted Evil That's three games in a row now where they haven't scored a single point in the second half! I think the graphic on the screen last night showed that they average about 5 points a game in the second half over the whole season...that's just BRUTAL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:31 am

JMP wrote:How do I "keep setting myself up"?  When is the last time the Dolphins lost to a team with a crappy QB and a losing record? We're 7-3 and leading the East, and I'm riding this wave as far as it'll go.  This is the best Dolphins season I've experienced in many, many years, and I'm not about to be scared of a garbage team like the Jets.  Fuck the Jets.

You do realize they were 7-3 just last season, right?

Don't think I'm *not* enjoying this too, but this is the time of year when the wheels always start falling off and what do you know, at least one of them is wobbling right now. I continue to see evidence that the offense has shot its proverbial wad already. The Jets ARE the one team they could score one TD against and MAYBE win, I'll give you that much.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:34 am

JMP wrote:That Chiefs loss opened the door wide for the Ravens. At this point, the Ravens are clearly the best team in the AFC - but they do have a tough schedule, and the Chiefs have an easy schedule.  And the Jags and Dolphins are still very much in the mix for that top seed too - and they both play the Ravens. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out down the stretch - should be a dogfight right till the end.  

The Chiefs receiving corps is absolute garbage.  And I don't care what anyone says, Kelce is absolutely playing distracted.  Too much off-field stuff going on with him, and it's hurting his play on the field.  And what was with that playcalling last night?  They DOMINATED on the ground in the first half, and then completely abandoned the running game in the second.  Just terrible.  But of course, I'm glad they lost!  Twisted Evil  That's three games in a row now where they haven't scored a single point in the second half!  I think the graphic on the screen last night showed that they average about 5 points a game in the second half over the whole season...that's just BRUTAL.

When a team is just the third one since the merger to advance to at least the conference title game 5 seasons in a row, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. And if you recall I did predict that streak would end this season. Doesn't mean Andy Reid's suddenly gone senile. Restructuring is a nice little trick but eventually the cap catches up with everybody. I sure wouldn't want to be the Saints this offseason affraid Hell, I'm dreading how the Fins handle this situation!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:37 am

Here's a 50-second Tim Boyle highlight reel, made by a Jets fan.  I have to admit, it's better than I thought.

Dolphins at Jets short week primer 1f602  Dolphins at Jets short week primer 1f602  Dolphins at Jets short week primer 1f602  Dolphins at Jets short week primer 1f602

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:38 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:How do I "keep setting myself up"?  When is the last time the Dolphins lost to a team with a crappy QB and a losing record? We're 7-3 and leading the East, and I'm riding this wave as far as it'll go.  This is the best Dolphins season I've experienced in many, many years, and I'm not about to be scared of a garbage team like the Jets.  Fuck the Jets.

You do realize they were 7-3 just last season, right?

Don't think I'm *not* enjoying this too, but this is the time of year when the wheels always start falling off and what do you know, at least one of them is wobbling right now. I continue to see evidence that the offense has shot its proverbial wad already. The Jets ARE the one team they could score one TD against and MAYBE win, I'll give you that much.

If you can't see the difference between this season and last season, I don't know what to tell you.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 am

JMP wrote:If you can't see the difference between this season and last season, I don't know what to tell you.

The Fins being 7-4 with Tua staying healthy after they were 8-3 at the same point last season with him missing games would be a pretty disturbing difference for sure.

But hey, if they win 3-2 you can come on here and rub it in my face about how wrong I was all you want, I won't mind. Seriously.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:53 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:If you can't see the difference between this season and last season, I don't know what to tell you.

The Fins being 7-4 with Tua staying healthy after they were 8-3 at the same point last season with him missing games would be a pretty disturbing difference for sure.  

But hey, if they win 3-2 you can come on here and rub it in my face about how wrong I was all you want, I won't mind. Seriously.

No, but being 8-3 with a healthy Tua, the league's top offense (including a top 3 rushing offense) and a top 10 defense is, in fact, a big difference from last season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:01 am

JMP wrote:No, but being 8-3 with a healthy Tua, the league's top offense (including a top 3 rushing offense) and a top 10 defense is, in fact, a big difference from last season.

IF my every instinct is wrong and they do win, I think I'll be agreeing with you.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:00 am

Well... the jets stink and the Phins USUALLY win against teams that stink. But this is the Jets. The records usually go out the window when these teams play.

Still, unless the Jets can fix their Oline in a hurry...I think the FangioPhins will feast on Boyle.

On Offense though... I agree with DF316 to a point here... Tua ain't looking as sharp as he did earlier. That seems to be a trend with him, sort of fading in the late season? Yeah yeah he had over 300 versus the Raiduhs, but what was it... 6 points scored in the second half. One bad, atrocious INT and one pass into triple coverage that was dropped??!!!

Again, if the Phins can RUN sorta/kinda well enough to keep the Jets D honest, the Phins should win. That means not turning the ball over three or four times and not getting royally scroogied on 4th downs by absolute shiite play calls from McD and hideous Oline perfromance.

As good as the season has gone, as Trent Green said when there was 2:10 or so left on the game clock in the Raiduhs game: "This is where good teams run the clock out. They get this first down and then kneel down to win the game."

As we saw, the Phins did not get he first down, Tua had to scramble and throw the ball away and the Phins D had to hold off the Raiduhs and win the game.

When it comes to the 2023 Miami Dolphins, yeah, it is nice to be winning and atop the AFC East, but temper your expectations is my advice. This team ain't a Super Bowl contender by a long shot.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:07 am

finfanatic wrote:When it comes to the 2023 Miami Dolphins, yeah, it is nice to be winning and atop the AFC East, but temper your expectations is my advice. This team ain't a Super Bowl contender by a long shot.

I would be absolutely ecstatic with one playoff win. To me that would make this season a rousing success. Anything beyond that is gravy and not worth even the effort of hoping for IMO.

I know I know, a whole lot of people think that should be the absolute bare minimum this team should do, and some would even throw a hissyfit over a mere paltry *one* playoff win, but that's more than they've done for the past 22 years so it would be kind of a big deal.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:20 am

IMO... The Phins got to get a playoff game at home to have any shot at winning in the playoffs.

Right now... after that putrid offensive performance... from everyone it seemed except maybe Hill... I am not so sure.

But we shall see. 7-3 is better than I thought they would do so, who knows?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:27 am

finfanatic wrote:IMO... The Phins got to get a playoff game at home to have any shot at winning in the playoffs.

Right now... after that putrid offensive performance... from everyone it seemed except maybe Hill... I am not so sure.

But we shall see. 7-3 is better than I thought they would do so, who knows?

Actually, other than thinking they'd probably lose the opener (which they very easily could have) 7-3 is exactly where I figured this team would be right now. I had the Chiefs and Eagles games as losses before the season began, and the only shocking thing about losing at Barfalo was how uncompetitive the game was after the first quarter. None of the other opponents so far were projected to be anything special, and most of them have been worse than expected.

If this pattern keeps up we're looking at 10-7/9-8 again, since you would expect losses to the Ravens, Cowboys and Bills with at least one Jets loss sprinkled in just because it's the Jets. At some point they will have to win a game they're not "supposed" to, there's no way around it. I'd HATE to go into the final 3 games with 9 wins or less.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:13 pm

finfanatic wrote:This team ain't a Super Bowl contender by a long shot.

It's all relative.  The Chiefs sure don't look like SB contenders right now.  The Ravens have lost to the Colts and Browns (both at home) and the Steelers.  The Jags got obliterated at home to the Niners (who were coming off 3 straight losses) and Texans.  We all know about the Bills struggles.  The Steelers have one of the worst offenses in the league, the Browns are playing with an unheralded rookie QB.

In comparison, the Phins have not lost at home and have only lost to teams with winning records.  Doesn't seem like a stretch to me to label them a contender in that context.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:42 pm

Phins have as good a shot as anyone right now IMO. It's all who is healthy/playing their best in about 6-7 weeks. Phins have taken a step back on offense, but the defense has taken a step forward. Ravens just lost Andrews, that's a huge loss. Chiefs are still the favorites with their kryptonite (Cincy) out of the picture but they hardly look unbeatable.

Biggest concern I have is that Tua's next playoff game will be his first, and the experience of having done it does mean something in January. Would have been great for him to get his feet wet last year but it is what it is. One thing is for sure, this year's defense would have won a playoff game in which we scored 31, no question.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next