The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season

5 posters

Go down

Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season Empty Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes, it really was as absurd as I'd feared...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article218925185.html#storylink=rss

From now on, I say just tackle the QB. Or use the Khalil Mack approach of just going for the ball. Seems to work and creates game-changing turnovers. This middle ground of players contorting their bodies in mid-sack is the worst of all worlds.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season Empty Re: Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season

Post by JMP Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:41 pm

It's a stupid rule, and clearly the refs have been taught to interpret it to the letter. Clay Matthews has already been penalized three times. It's absurd.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season Empty Re: Body Weight Rule Puts Hayes Out For Season

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:46 pm

JMP wrote:It's a stupid rule, and clearly the refs have been taught to interpret it to the letter.  Clay Matthews has already been penalized three times.  It's absurd.

I keep reading on the interwebz that multiple defenders not named Clay Matthews have been getting away with it time after time.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:It's a stupid rule, and clearly the refs have been taught to interpret it to the letter.  Clay Matthews has already been penalized three times.  It's absurd.

I keep reading on the interwebz that multiple defenders not named Clay Matthews have been getting away with it time after time.

The biggest problem with the rule is, how do you determine if a player has used all, or a significant portion of, his body weight on a tackle? I don't know why Clay has been singled out, but it's bound to get worse.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:52 pm

I can totally see Fins-Pats being decided on a body weight call (when Brady is sacked of course). But even if that happens it will still in my mind be a sign that the Pats are done, since there's no way the "real" Pats would ever need a horrible call to beat the Fins at home.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Goodell continues to ruin the game. Yes, I put it on him. It's his job to maintain the competitive balance between offense and defense, and he is failing.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Latest word on Andre Branch: expected to miss a few weeks with a knee injury, according to Ian Rapoport. This once-deep DE group suddenly looks VERY thin...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Latest word on Andre Branch: expected to miss a few weeks with a knee injury, according to Ian Rapoport. This once-deep DE group suddenly looks VERY thin...

Yeah, we will probably need to bring back Malveaux, Langford or both at this point.

Taylor and Godchaux coming on at DT could not have come at a better time.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Terrible rule. It's football for fuck's sake.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 pm

I heard Channon Crowder say today that the league does not care about defensive players. They could give less than a shit about William Hayes. They do not want the QB hurt. PERIOD. The QB is the most important position in the league.

They will protect a QB at the risk of losing a defensive player due to the fact that that defender was trying to satisfy the rule of not putting his body weight on the QB, thus sliding off in a manner to land awkwardly and tear up his knee.

Yeah, it's a shame that Hayes was lost for the year, but the QB did not get hurt.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am

The roughing the passer flags were flying in the Monday night game. Must have been 5 penalties called against pass rushers! I think one was what I would call legit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 pm

The vast majority of the ones I've seen are literally impossible in the realm of actual real-world physics to avert. There's no way in hell that should be a rule.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down