The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DRAFT THREAD

+8
CarsonChris
finskev
white1
Degarmo
JEGnj
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
JMP
12 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

DRAFT THREAD - Page 12 Empty Re: DRAFT THREAD

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:24 pm

JMP wrote:OT Oli Udoh still available too...really like him.

Never mind...he's a Viking now.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Phins take WR Marcus Green from Louisiana-Monroe (!!!) and OT Isaiah Prince from Ohio State with their 6th rounders.

I don't know Green, but he is another tiny receiver at 5'8". Supposedly a good returner, so that's probably his role. Meh, as 316 would say.

But Isaiah Prince is a good one. Thought he'd go much higher. May need some time, but he could be our future starting RT!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm

JMP wrote:Piersbacher went to the Skins after us.  Would have been a nice pick, but we really needed a rush linebacker too.  

Yet another draft decision I'm not a big fan of. Looks like the same old "we don't need no stinkin' interior O-linemen!" philosophy, with a dash of the usual LB drafted for special teams only on the side. MEH. (That was for you Jmp Razz )

And yes, I know they drafted a guard in the 3rd, but only because they literally have almost nobody there right now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Where do you see the Marcus Green selection? It's not showing up on espn.com. or nfl.com for that matter.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Prince and Gaskin seem like good values, particularly Prince.

Lots of value still out there: particularly at WR. Hall, Johnson, Williams and Morgan all undrafted? What the Hell? Gerald Willis too. If we want to keep the Wisconsin connection going, so are Beau Benzschwazel and T. J. Edwards.

At QB, Tyree Jackson and Brett Rypien are still available.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Good start on the Undrafted FA's, with OLB Terrill Hanks and DE Jonathan Ledbetter, two players I thought would be 4th or 5th rounders.  Hanks especially might make the roster.

And add WR Preston Williams from Colorado State, one of several UFA's who should have been drafted at that position. Nice job so far.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:16 pm

7th round picks look pretty good.

Really like the Gaskin pick. Very good receiver who could carve out a role early in his career.

And we got a FB - Chandler Cox.

I'm not crazy about the Green pick, but otherwise I'm pleased with all the picks. I see where they fit and I see a plan unfolding.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:16 pm

In addition, PFF likes G Shaq Calhoun from Mississippi State, a starter who we signed.  They had him 108th in their rankings, FWIW.  NFL.com had a draftable grade on him as well, ranking him as the 5th best prospect on the team behind Simmons, Sweat, Abrams and Jenkins.  No disgrace to be 5th on that list....

Doing really well on the UFA front this year. Calhoun, Williams, Hanks and Ledbetter

Last edited by HalCHorn on Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:17 pm

The undrafted FAs will be key - have a lot of roster spots to fill. Sounds like a good start.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm

NFL.com shows Green going to the Falcons.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:26 pm

HalCHorn wrote:NFL.com shows Green going to the Falcons.

I saw it on the NFL Tracker earlier...guess they messed up, because I don't see it anywhere else! Good...didn't like that pick.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Raiders signed WR Keelan Doss. Really wanted him...small school stud. He could be a good one with the right development.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:30 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Good start on the Undrafted FA's, with OLB Terrill Hanks and DE Jonathan Ledbetter, two players I thought would be 4th or 5th rounders.  Hanks especially might make the roster.

And add WR Preston Williams from Colorado State, one of several UFA's who should have been drafted at that position.  Nice job so far.

Ledbetter gives us a strong run-stopping end - definitely a place for him on this roster.

Williams is intriguing...huge receiver who had a monster 2018 season, but has had some off-field issues.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 am

A little disappointing and surprising that they did not address edge rusher. I thought Joe Jackson would have been a good value pick in 5th rd.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:52 am

Great beginning of the draft but disappointed with 7th rounders. We need to build the trenches for the future nit the running game.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 am

We have so many needs,,including a FB and another RB. They filled 2 needs.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 am

I like the UDFA class.  Williams is a gamble well worth taking.  This was one very deep WR class.

I think Hanks and Calhoun will make the team. Williams has a good chance (we could use a red-zone weapon), Ledbetter and Needham are also guys who have a chance.

Disappointing that we couldn't address edge rusher; Charles Harris has one last chance.  However, we do get to start evaluating a talented young QB a year earlier than we thought we would.  Couldn't fill every need here but taking the UDFA class into account this is about as strong a group of rookies that I could have hoped for, and we picked up a second rounder next year before the day was done.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Yeah, and edge rusher would have been great. We'll see what happens as free agency continues.

Love to see the rebuilding process. It's very clear that we are moving away from the finesses game. We added two absolute maulers to the OL, and a tough FB. You can see the transition to the NE offense with those picks, as well as Gaskin - who could be our James White. The Cox pick could really be a key piece to our offense - a FB that can block, run and catch.

Defense is still a work in progress, but adding the rush LB in AVG is huge...that's a tough position to fill, and in college he did exactly what he'll be asked to do here.

What we all need to realize is that, moving forward, we're going to be looking for players that fit the schemes. The emphasis will not be on getting stars, but adding tough, intelligent, versatile players that are capable of doing what the coaches ask.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm

I like what seems to be a tough approach to the kind of game we are looking to play. They picked 2 BMNSOB's from the Big 10 for the OL, a FB, a versatile RB and a LB that can rush the passer.

Kind of surprised I read today that we are likely to be players in the upcoming free agency period. A lot of the guys available are older vets near or past 30. I thought we were transitioning away from one year stopgaps to younger, long-term players.

If that is the case, we should have just kept guys like Sitton, Hayes, Quinn, etc.

EDIT: How could I forget C. Wilkins? Just LOVE this pick.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Miami did something that I never thought that I would see. Make picks that make sense. Miami didn't get all the needs but they got who mattered that the time.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:49 am

Phins have 2 guys ranked in PFFs top 10 UDFAs.

G DEION CALHOUN, MISSISSIPPI STATE – MIAMI DOLPHINS
Playing 275-plus pass-blocking snaps for the Bulldogs in each of the past three seasons, Calhoun has earned 70.0-plus pass-blocking grades since his 2016 campaign. In 2018, he allowed pressure on just 3.9% of his 337 pass-blocking snaps. His run-defense grades didn’t wow us during his time at Mississippi State, but consistency in pass protection is valuable for a Dolphins team that needs such efforts in the trenches.

WR PRESTON WILLIAMS, COLORADO STATE – MIAMI DOLPHINS
Off-field concerns pushed Williams out of this year’s draft, not his on-field talent or production. In his lone season at Colorado State (2018), Williams earned the 10th-best overall grade (84.0) among draft-eligible FBS wide receivers. He caught 97-of-166 targets for 1,339 yards, 51 first downs, and 14 touchdowns. He’s a big, athletic wide receiver that can win with just his natural ability but will need to add some polish to his game and keep a clean sheet off the field to reach his sky-high potential in the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-top-10-undrafted-free-agent-signings

and little more on Mr. Williams problems...

Williams, 6-foot-4 and 211 pounds, was allowed to attend the combine to meet with NFL teams but wasn’t permitted to perform the on-field tests because of a September 2017 arrest in Fort Collins on misdemeanor charges of harassment and assault that included a domestic violence enhancement. Williams ultimately pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor harassment charge, for which he received a deferred sentence.

A subsequent charge of violating a restraining order for exchanging more than 200 texts with the victim was dropped as part of Williams' plea agreement, Larimer County court records show.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2019/03/06/preston-williams-fails-impress-colorado-state-university-football-pro-day/3082533002/

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12