The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft thread

+3
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Draft thread Empty Draft thread

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Well, it's almost 11:00 and I'm finally starting a draft thread. Spent the night watching the draft and doing my last treadmill workout before my Saturday run!

Really odd draft so far, as eqxpected. And it all started with the Jags making a colossal blunder by taking Walker over Hutch. I like Walker a lot - but Hutch is better on the field, and is a "face of the franchise" type off the field. Excellent get for the Lions.

Ravens trade Hollywood Brown and Titans trade AJ Brown...and now both teams have terrible receiving corps as a result.

The Jets got 2 good players, but could have done much better. I thought Sauce Gardner looked incredibly awkward at the Combine. He was certainly great in college, but can he hang with smooth technician-type receivers like Stefon Diggs? And Garrett Wilson is a solid receiver that will help them, but I would have taken Olave and Williams ahead of him. I also think Kyle Hamilton would have been a great chocie there...he could be the top player in this draft.

Jets just traded back into the first and took DE Jermaine Johnson. Now that's a great pick...unfortunately.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Draft thread Empty Re: Draft thread

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:02 pm

I'm legit pissed at Jermaine Johnson actually falling to the Jets Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I heard Tom actually handled him in college better than Ikwonu did, so now the Fins HAVE to get him, even if it means trading up. Yes, I'm serious.

A Titans fan I know on Youtube got so pissed after the ridiculous AJ Brown trade that he ended his live draft stream. That's one of those moves that is a legit reason to walk away from a team for good.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:06 pm

The Titans still have Robert Woods, but IMO Woods is a guy that needs a great receiver opposite him. AJ and Woods would have been a really good combo. Now it's Woods and...nobody. The Titans window for contending was getting smaller and smaller anyway, and it may have just closed.

Steelers taking Kenny Pickett was a wasted pick IMO. He's a fumbling machine and I think he sucks.

Man I hate Johnson going to the Jets. That sucks.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:08 pm

Jags trade up and draft LB Devin Lloyd at 27.  I bet they thought the Pats would grab him at 29.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:10 pm

Yet another Omar rumor is proven false. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say! Laughing Laughing Laughing Also more than a little relieved.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:12 pm

You want to see a pissed off fan? You want to see pure pain? This is it. Titans fan Youtuber reacts to AJ Brown trade. I think we can all relate. BTW you'll want to turn the volume down for this one.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:21 pm

Pats take Strange?!?! Well...fuck. Now he's going to be a top 5 guard.

Utterly sickening to see division foes make themselves better while the Fins just sit around.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:22 pm

Pats draft Cole Strange in round one??? WTF???

I like Strange a lot and he was on my short list for pick 102. But in round one, he's a MAJOR reach IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:23 pm

Would love to see Aaron Rodgers' reaction to the Pack having two first rounders and ending up with zero WRs after trading Adams. LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:23 pm

JMP wrote:Pats draft Cole Strange in round one???  WTF???

I like Strange a lot and he was on my short list for pick 102.  But in round one, he's a MAJOR reach IMO.

Pats know what they're doing when it comes to O-linemen. Smart as hell for them to trade back 8 spots and still get who they wanted, knowing no other team was taking Strange that high.

If they'd drafted a WR I'd be feeling a lot better right now since the Pats absolutely suck at drafting WRs.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:25 pm

JMP wrote:Would love to see Aaron Rodgers' reaction to the Pack having two first rounders and ending up with zero WRs after trading Adams.  LOL

It never fails. I'm convinced they're doing this on purpose just to troll Rodgers at this point. We've already seen the Ravens piss off Lamar Jackson by trading away his BFF WR, and the Titans piss off their entire fan base so this is actually just the third most dickhead move of the night.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:29 pm

This draft BTW seems to be sending a clear message that teams are already sick and tired of breaking the bank for WRs when they can just draft new ones since now every draft class is deep at the position no matter how weak it is everywhere else.

And on one level it makes sense. But on another level you can only ditch proven players for unproven rookies for so long before you get burned. Not every team can adopt this strategy either, teams need a scouting department that knows how to draft WRs year after year.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:31 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:You want to see a pissed off fan? You want to see pure pain? This is it. Titans fan Youtuber reacts to AJ Brown trade. I think we can all relate. BTW you'll want to turn the volume down for this one.

I'm not sure AJ Brown should be anyone's all-time favorite player, but other than that he nailed it.

The biggest slap in the face to Titans fans about this deal has to be the contract extension that Brown signed with the Eagles. 4 years, $25 million is not a lot (these days) for a top-caliber WR. The Titans couldn't afford that to keep their second best player???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:35 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:This draft BTW seems to be sending a clear message that teams are already sick and tired of braking the bank for WRs when they can just draft new ones since now every draft class is deep at the position no matter how weak it is everywhere else.

And on one level it makes sense. But on another level you can only ditch proven players for unproven rookies for so long before you get burned. Not every team can adopt this strategy either, teams need a scouting department that knows how to draft WRs year after year.

Excellent points.

But I do have a feeling that a high percentage of this year's first round receivers are going to bust or just be average. I don't see anyone that will top the Chase-Waddle-Smith trio from last year's class.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:43 pm

OK, off to bed. See you for rounds 2-3!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:57 pm

Here's the worst part of the AJ Brown trade--there were NO OTHER WRS TAKEN BETWEEN 18 AND THE REST OF THE FIRST ROUND!!! The Titans LITERALLY DID NOT HAVE TO MAKE THIS TRADE AT ALL TO GET BURKS. Think about THAT for a minute or ten. The ONLY team I can think of who would've even WANTED another WR in the first round was the Pats, and they traded down to 29! I think they did this after the Titans took Burks but still...you're talking about trading away a 4th year player because you don't want to pay him and you're scared ONE TEAM might get Burks before your pick. SMDH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

And I'm assuming Hollywood Brown just got caught in bed with the wife of John Harbaugh or Steve Bisciotti last night, because that is the ONLY explanation as to why he got traded away.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:59 pm

I'm also thinking of how pissed the rest of this QB class is after seeing Kenny Freaking Pickett be the only one of them taken in the first Laughing Laughing Laughing

Although it WOULD be our luck if the damn Bucs get Malik Willis as Brady's successor...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 pm

Eagles sure improved their team. Would not be surprised to see them leapfrog Dallas and take the division this year.

Ravens did need O-line help and secondary help after last year's injuries, but they really need to add some receiving help for Jackson tomorrow IMO.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:21 pm

Dumbest moves of the draft so far...

The Redskins Football Team Commanders either genuinely believe Jahan Dotson is a better WR than Chris Olave, or they have to act like they do after trading down 5 spots with the Saints. This is an opinion that literally nobody I saw in the 2 months leading up to this draft had BTW. What's easier to believe, that THIS team knows what they're doing more than anybody else or that they just plain goofed?

The Vikings trading down 20 spots with a division rival...and also giving up their second Shocked I mean yeah, they did get a high second and third in return but we're talking about a 20-spot trade down here, they got pennies on the dollar. As for the Lions, WTF were they thinking trading up 20 spots to get a WR coming off an injury that might not even be ready to go to start the season? Like, seriously?!?!

The Eagles trading 3 picks to move up 2 spots. That's more picks than the Lions gave up to move from 32 to 12 Shocked Shocked Shocked

But we're only scratching the surface of the abject stupidity. Now we get to the REAL boneheaded blunders...

The Ravens trade away the only thousand-yard WR they've had in the last FIVE YEARS (no, that's not a typo) for picks 23 and 100. That's IT. Okay, so they got an extra 4th later when they traded 23 to the Bills but still...Tyler Linderbaum's not gonna be catching passes for them.

The AJ Brown trade I've already covered in detail. Holy guacamole...if Grier ever did anything stupid like that I would be morally obligated to walk away from this team forever.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:25 pm

Worst part of the draft so far: seeing the Jets trade back into the first--after already having two picks in the top 10--to get Jermaine Johnson and STILL ending up picking just ahead of the Fins' first pick of the whole draft Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Second worst part: Seeing the Pats get Cole Strange after trading down and turn him into a top 5 guard maybe as early as this season.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:08 am

I'm going to say the dumbest pick was the Jags taking Walker. I do like Walker, but for a team that has absolutely no identity and has sucked for years I just don't see how they pass up a true franchise player like Hutch for a pass rusher that had just 9.5 sacks in 3 years.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:10 am

JMP wrote:I'm going to say the dumbest pick was the Jags taking Walker.  I do like Walker, but for a team that has absolutely no identity and has sucked for years I just don't see how they pass up a true franchise player like Hutch for a pass rusher that had just 9.5 sacks in 3 years.

See my post in White1's birthday thread about how bad teams draft badly and no amount of picks or positioning ever seems to change that. This is the team that somehow managed to make Trevor Lawrence look like a bust last year.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:06 am

I think Walker might turn out to be scary good. Balke (sp) drafts for athletic freakish when he can. Sometimes it works... And GA has like ten or twelve D-linemen they rotate to keep everyone fresh. Still, Walker never DOMINATED like you would want. I myself would have drafted Hutch and never had a worry about it.

All these trades for WRs... does it mean they think getting proven WR is better than drafting someone who may turn out to one a stinker?

Dang! It looks like the Jets really got better. We just have to hope Sauce is rancid and Wilson ain't THAT good, and Johnson is just an athletic freak, and... QB Zach still be stinking it up!

This has been a strange offseason and the draft is living up to that IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:33 am

finfanatic wrote:I think Walker might turn out to be scary good. Balke (sp) drafts for athletic freakish when he can. Sometimes it works... And GA has like ten or twelve D-linemen they rotate to keep everyone fresh. Still, Walker never DOMINATED like you would want. I myself would have drafted Hutch and never had a worry about it.

All these trades for WRs... does it mean they think getting proven WR is better than drafting someone who may turn out to one a stinker?

Dang! It looks like the Jets really got better. We just have to hope Sauce is rancid and Wilson ain't THAT good, and Johnson is just an athletic freak, and... QB Zach still be stinking it up!

This has been a strange offseason and the draft is living up to that IMO.

Definitely a VERY strange offseason!

If I'm drafting a DE #1 overall, he better damn well have some production on his college resume. A career high of 6.5 sacks doesn't do it for me, no matter how well he tested at the Combine. The thing with Hutch is that he is a bonafide star - and I'm not just talking about on the field. He's an excellent speaker, very intelligent, and he seems like a guy that "gets it". I think he immediately becomes the face of the Lions, and would have done the same in Jax - giving identity and hope to teams that haven't had either in a long time. He only had one productive season at Michigan, but it was super-productive, and he has some advanced pass rush skills already. Now, I don't think Hutch would ever be in consideration for #1 overall in most other drafts, but this is a very unique draft. It will be interesting to see where these guys are in 3 years.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:55 pm

ok, 30 picks away, I PPF'd it one last time.

Traded all the way down to 145 before making a pick, picking up 4th rounders from ATL, SEA (those two should be very high 4th rounders in 23) and LVR, plus a 6th and two 7ths. We now have 11 picks next year, 8 in the first 4 rounds.

Spencer Burford, UTSA T was my pick at 145. I took Tyler Allgeier next at 156. CB Joshua Williams and DT Noah Elliss rounded things out at 224 and 247.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next