The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitzmagic is back as starter

+2
JMP
rightchea
6 posters

Go down

Fitzmagic is back as starter Empty Fitzmagic is back as starter

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

tweet wrote:#Dolphins coach Brian Flores tells reporters that QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will start this Sunday vs. the #Bills. So, Josh Rosen to the bench.

So did Rosen do bad enough where he not going to play anymore or is this a lesson on making better decisions

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Fitzmagic is back as starter Empty Re: Fitzmagic is back as starter

Post by JMP Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:15 pm

I know some people with criticize Flores for changing his mind, but here's the bottom line: Rosen totally screwed Flores.

Last week Flores correctly named Rosen the starter for the remainder of the season. But then Rosen completely shit the bed against a bad Redskins team. And not only was Rosen bad, but Fitz came in against that same bad Redskins team and produced. Yes, the Miami OL sucks - but one QB folded like a cheap tent, and one overcame it.

The entire world saw that Fitzpatrick CLEARLY outplayed Rosen in ways that CLEARLY show who the better QB is. It is CLEAR that Rosen is not capable of leading an offense right now. It is CLEAR that Rosen can't read a defense right now. It is CLEAR that Rosen can't make quick decisions right now. And it is just as clear that Fitz CAN do all those things right now.

Look, I get that we are a loser team with no talent. But Flores has one job, and that's to win games. How could anyone take him seriously if he continued to play Rosen after that game? Yeah, I know..."TANK". But that's not Flores's responsibility. Josh Rosen looked so completely inept and useless that he really gave his coach no choice in making this decision.

Fact is, Rosen has gotten worse the more he's played, and Fitz is absolutely the better option right now. Sure, you want to develop Rosen...but at this point he's regressing and not progressing. So what's the point of playing him?

Rosen made this decision himself with his horrendous play, so don't blame Flores. Flores had no choice.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Totally agree.

Also, there is absolutely NO rush to start Rosen. We may be better off putting him in live action NEXT year, if somehow we don't get Tua or another 1st round QB, and we have a better offensive line and skill position players on offense.

With the current state of our offensive line, I can certainly see the constant pressure having a negative effect on a young QB. No different than what he faced last season in AZ.

Go with Fitz. Be patient. For now, we've seen enough of Rosen to know he's not ready to start for a while.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Keep in mind...I'm someone that wants to see what Rosen can do. But after a couple of starts, I've now seen enough to know that he just isn't ready.

The other thing to consider is: how can we evaluate all the other offensive players when Rosen is utterly lost? It's not fair to the young players that are trying to develop.

Fitz is going to fail too...but it won't be because he's clueless and not ready, it'll be because he's simply not that good.

If Rosen played that bad against a winless team, what is he going to do against the Bills, who have a top defense? Until Rosen learns how to play in this offensive system, it's pointless to throw him to the wolves.

I admit I was wrong about this...I thought Rosen was on the right track. But what I saw Sunday proved to me that he just isn't comfortable enough or knowledgeable enough in this offense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:21 pm

I admit I was wrong about this...I thought Rosen was on the right track. But what I saw Sunday proved to me that he just isn't comfortable enough or knowledgeable enough in this offense.

Same for me. I, for one, totally dismissed the fact this is his first offense setting the protections - which is probably just one of many things he's never done before.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Fitz "steals" a game from one of his old teams. The Bills, begrudgingly, are looking pretty damn good right now.

Key for us will be stopping their offense and forcing some turnovers. Keep them bottled up and give our offense as many chances as possible to make a big play.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Rosen's not good enough at all, and never will be. You can see it in the guys that are going to be great, and he gives zero indication that he will even be average. Earlier in the year when it was said that he couldn't even identify a Mike linebacker, that was it for me. That's basic fundamental knowledge that a professional QB must know coming into camp from Day 1.

Leaving that aside though, he's shown slow thought process on the field, and that is the No. 1 damning thing against any young QB that almost never can be coached through. That's as much a skill as being really fast. You've got it or you don't.

He don't.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 pm

If You complete 15 passes for 82 yards than there is something wrong with your Qb, Time to go back with Fitzpatrick, I just want at least one win, I survived 1-15 in 07 so I can handle that.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:14 pm

And this is why I was so upset when they actually gave up a second rounder for Rosen. This right here.

(Drops mic.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:17 pm

finskev wrote:If You complete 15 passes for 82 yards than there is something wrong with your Qb, Time to go back with Fitzpatrick, I just want at least one win, I survived 1-15 in 07 so I can handle that.

I want a win too, but if the Fins and Bengals are both 0-14 going into that game then screw it, I'll be rooting for 0-16 like everyone else here seems to be. But man oh man wouldn't it be sweet to get the one win of the season over the Gases--um, Jets! Twisted Evil

Looks like roughly half the league will be wanting a QB in the next draft now. If Tua stays in school like I think he will, I'd love the Fins to trade down and get even more picks to build the lines.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:And this is why I was so upset when they actually gave up a second rounder for Rosen. This right here.

(Drops mic.)

Good to see you stop by, 316! cheers

I admit I was fooled by the UCLA footage of Rosen looking like he knew what he was doing. But it is now painfully obvious that he is not an NFL QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
finskev wrote:If You complete 15 passes for 82 yards than there is something wrong with your Qb, Time to go back with Fitzpatrick, I just want at least one win, I survived 1-15 in 07 so I can handle that.

I want a win too, but if the Fins and Bengals are both 0-14 going into that game then screw it, I'll be rooting for 0-16 like everyone else here seems to be. But man oh man wouldn't it be sweet to get the one win of the season over the Gases--um, Jets! Twisted Evil

Looks like roughly half the league will be wanting a QB in the next draft now. If Tua stays in school like I think he will, I'd love the Fins to trade down and get even more picks to build the lines.

Agree on all points here...except Tua staying in school. There's over 35 million reasons why he'll come out in 2020. That's the amount of guaranteed money Kyler Murray got this year. This is Tua's chance to get it...no guarantees that he'll be in this position again in 2021. Grab it while it's there, because it may not be there next time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:26 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:And this is why I was so upset when they actually gave up a second rounder for Rosen. This right here.

(Drops mic.)

Good to see you stop by, 316!    cheers

I admit I was fooled by the UCLA footage of Rosen looking like he knew what he was doing.  But it is now painfully obvious that he is not an NFL QB.

Want to know the moment I knew Rosen would be a bust? It was when he got pick-sixed by Memphis to lose a game at the Liberty Bowl. MEMPHIS!!! You can't get pick-sixed and lose to a D as crappy as Memphis's and be a franchise QB. No way, no how.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:

(Drops mic.)

I admit I was fooled by the UCLA footage of Rosen looking like he knew what he was doing.  But it is now painfully obvious that he is not an NFL QB.

Want to know the moment I knew Rosen would be a bust? It was when he got pick-sixed by Memphis to lose a game at the Liberty Bowl. MEMPHIS!!! You can't get pick-sixed and lose to a D as crappy as Memphis's and be a franchise QB. No way, no how.

Yeah, I was a little slow to recognize what Rosen really is. I get that the OL sucks, but he's playing below practice squad level at this point, and that's just not acceptable. He's obviously thinking too much, because nothing in this offense comes natural to him. He looked damn good at times at UCLA, but this isn't UCLA.

In this scheme the QB has to read the D, identify pressure and call protections - all pre-snap. Then he has to make a lightning-quick decision, based on his pre-snap read, as soon as the ball is in his hands. If you can do that, it helps nullify the pass rush and protects the OL because the ball comes out quickly. Unfortunately, Rosen has no idea what he's doing pre-snap, and as a result he doesn't know what to do with the ball once it is snapped. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he'd be better in an offense where the QB doesn't have all that responsibility, but he simply can't handle what these Dolphin coaches are trying to teach him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 am

JMP wrote:

(Drops mic.)

The problem was that a lot of people was fooled by what he was doing at UCLA but remember this is the Pac-12 There only two good team within that division. That why I have such a hard time believing in Tua. Yeah he putting up number but against who. The only ranked teams that Alabama will be facing after Texas A&M will be LSU and Auburn. SC, Tenn and Texas A&M were never going to be a top 10 team. Until Tua runs up the score on a team that has a team that is as good as Alabama I not going to be all in for him.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:35 pm

rightchea wrote:

The problem was that a lot of people was fooled by what he was doing at UCLA but remember this is the Pac-12 There only two good team within that division. That why I have such a hard time believing in Tua. Yeah he putting up number but against who. The only ranked teams that Alabama will be facing after Texas A&M will be LSU and Auburn. SC, Tenn and Texas A&M were never going to be a top 10 team. Until Tua runs up the score on a team that has a team that is as good as Alabama I not going to be all in for him.

I tend not to focus too much on numbers when I look at college QBs - and that's because a good college QB will almost always have great numbers. I also tend to ignore opponents, because the QB has no control over that.  What I look for are the things that every QB needs to do, regardless of who he is playing with or against...things like release, ability to read a defense and identify pressure, decision-making, anticipation and ball placement, accuracy, arm strength, footwork, etc.  And then there are important intangibles like leadership, personality/attitude, etc.

I don't care that Tua and Alabama score 50 points against every Bumfuck University they play.  What I do care about are all the things I mentioned above, and Tua scores high marks - mostly VERY high marks - in every single one of those areas.  I personally have not seen a better QB since Luck, and no one in this draft class is even worthy of holding Tua's jock.  Tua checks every single box.  And, he makes the players around him better.  Nick Saban changed his entire offensive philosophy 180 degrees to accommodate Tua - he's that good.  This is a true franchise QB, a guy you can literally build the team around.

The only negatives I see: he's a bit shorter than I'd like, and his father is an asshole.  Beyond that, I don't see any negatives.  After watching him closely all season, I'm at the point where I will consider the Dolphins' draft an EPIC FAIL if they don't land Tua.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 pm

I don't want to over react either. Rosen still has some good skills, and it's possible - POSSIBLE - and I don't know what the chance is, that he will continue to develop and improve with more time and practice.

I love the knee-jerk reaction from Mando also. He basically says this proves the trade was a waste. Wrong. Having Rosen on the depth chart, even if he's backup to someone like Tua, is far better than having no options at all behind the starter. In those cases, you have to "ahem" call Jay Cutler out of retirement or sign Fales when your starter is hurt.

At the least Rosen has first round skills and tools, and still may develop over time. You've got him for 3 more seasons. A much better QB depth chart than we've had around here in a very long time.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:30 pm

I don't see it with Rosen. I don't think he's improved our QB situation at all. It's all "maybe" and "if he develops" stuff. It won't matter in a year anyway.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down