The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow

+3
white1
JMP
DolFan 316
7 posters

Go down

Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow Empty Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow Empty Re: Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow

Post by JMP Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Aside from having just one year of excellent play, there are not many ways to poke holes in Burrow's game.

That "just one year" is a pretty big hole to poke, and is my biggest issue with Burrow. Why wasn't he this good before 2019? Is he just a system QB that can only thrive in one scheme? I don't know the answer to that, but the fact that he was mediocre for most of his college career is a red flag.

I'd gladly take Burrow, but I definitely have questions about his ability to adapt to other offensive systems.

All a moot point anyway, because he is going #1 to the Bengals and they aren't trading down.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow Empty Re: Why This Team Should Trade Up For Burrow

Post by white1 Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:59 pm

Great read DF.  I advocated for this approach in another post and I will repeat it here.  

The Fins should go ahead and trade up to #2 overall with the Skins, and take either Tua or Burrow in that slot.  If they do it early enough, they can pay less than market value as teams are still preparing for the draft and don't have a full grasp on what they want. Draft capital can overwhelm them in making a deal even if they don't yet know who they covet.

Meanwhile, we can rest assured a franchise caliber QB will be available at 2 overall.

It's aggressive, but I'd do it.  And I'd push to do it right now, before a team is ready and by using more than they think they could get in return.

Plus, there is an advantage to the Skins if they make the deal. Making this trade ties them to Haskins at least for 2020, and they can focus on building around him. If he proves he's not the long term starter, they face that decision next offseason. They can sell their fanbase (for now) on Haskins as future franchise QB starter, and use those picks to get talent elsewhere. Looking at last season, it's not a stretch he COULD be their guy long term...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 pm

I don't think the Redskins will trade down, they will want to stay put and take Young.

Unless Cincy takes Young, and then all bets are off, but I can't see that happening. They'll take a QB.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:51 am

HalCHorn wrote:I don't think the Redskins will trade down, they will want to stay put and take Young.

Unless Cincy takes Young, and then all bets are off, but I can't see that happening.  They'll take a QB.

That's my thought as well, but I would still try to trade to 2 just in case. If the Skins won't budge, even better - we trade with the Lions to move to 3, and the cost is a bit less.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 am

JMP wrote:If the Skins won't budge, even better - we trade with the Lions to move to 3, and the cost is a bit less.

the truth is, the Phins may not be in a position to get either Tua or Burrow - despite their plethora of picks.

Bernie Smilovitz of WDIV in Detroit reports that the Lions are trying to line up a trade of veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford.

“[T]rade talks concerning the quarterback have been underway for a couple of weeks,” Smilovitz says, citing unnamed sources close to Stafford and the Lions.

Stafford’s wife, Kelly, has reacted to trade rumors on Instagram. She placed the message “Well, if Detroit is done with us” over an image of a story regarding trade talk. On the next page, which mentions the Chargers, she adds, “I could stay in Cali.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lions-trying-trade-matthew-113321933.html

Burrow to Cincy, Young to Wash and Tua to Detroit.  None of them may be willing to trade if they've fallen in love with those players.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am

To be honest I see Burrow being another Eli Manning. If Miami really wants Burrows and get the opportunity to draft Tua, there is a possibility that Miami could trade Tua away for Burrow who probably doesn't want to be in Cincy.

At the same time I not really into system QB. He did great in LSU but couldn't cut it in OSU. I see that as he might now work well if he not able to play in any ole system.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:If the Skins won't budge, even better - we trade with the Lions to move to 3, and the cost is a bit less.

the truth is, the Phins may not be in a position to get either Tua or Burrow - despite their plethora of picks.

Bernie Smilovitz of WDIV in Detroit reports that the Lions are trying to line up a trade of veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford.

“[T]rade talks concerning the quarterback have been underway for a couple of weeks,” Smilovitz says, citing unnamed sources close to Stafford and the Lions.

Stafford’s wife, Kelly, has reacted to trade rumors on Instagram. She placed the message “Well, if Detroit is done with us” over an image of a story regarding trade talk. On the next page, which mentions the Chargers, she adds, “I could stay in Cali.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lions-trying-trade-matthew-113321933.html

Burrow to Cincy, Young to Wash and Tua to Detroit.  None of them may be willing to trade if they've fallen in love with those players.

The Lions have already said the report is false. But regardless, will the Lions be able/willing to absorb the huge cap hit of cutting Stafford?  And will the owner give the GM/coaching staff enough time to groom a rookie QB when they are already on the hot seat?  And, no team is trading for that Stafford contract.

But assuming for a moment that any of this is true, I'm guessing that the Lions will target Herbert and not Tua.  There's no way they're dumping Stafford and putting the team in the hands of a QB that may not be healthy enough to play the full season.  That wouldn't make any sense at all.  

If that's the case, the Phins can stay at 5 and take Tua - which would be the best possible scenario.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:00 am

Just read on rotoworld that "It would cost the Lions $32 million against the cap for Stafford to *not* be on their roster in 2020."

So yeah, Stafford is a Lion in 2020.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:44 pm

I don't know why Burrows suddenly blossomed into the QB he showed this year, but that dude could throw it into a 5 gallon bucket on the back of a 4-wheeler heading downfield it seemed to me. And he seemed to REALLY make great decisions with the ball.

Maybe he had a Tom Brady-like epiphany at LSU?

I have assumed Burrows would go 1st. To Cincy.

That would leave Tua as the bait for some team to trade up ahead of Miami.

If Tua's workouts look great, that could happen.

If the Ben-Gals pass on Burrows....that throws the whole draft into chaos IMO.

It is gonna be an interesting draft. I have run a few simulated drafts and the Phins are gonna have some real hard choices to make it seems.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm

finfanatic wrote:I don't know why Burrows suddenly blossomed into the QB he showed this year, but that dude could throw it into a 5 gallon bucket on the back of a 4-wheeler heading downfield it seemed to me. And he seemed to REALLY make great decisions with the ball.

Maybe he had a Tom Brady-like epiphany at LSU?

I have assumed Burrows would go 1st. To Cincy.  

That would leave Tua as the bait for some team to trade up ahead of Miami.

If Tua's workouts look great, that could happen.

If the Ben-Gals pass on Burrows....that throws the whole draft into chaos IMO.

It is gonna be an interesting draft. I have run a few simulated drafts and the Phins are gonna have some real hard choices to make it seems.

Yeah, the Bengals could make this draft off-the-charts CRAZY if they don't take Burrow! But really, it's a no-brainer for them...he's the only clear-cut choice.

One thing to keep in mind: we are assuming that Tua is at the top of every team's list after Burrow. It's entirely likely that some teams have Herbert over Tua - due to size, arm strength and health. So while we all assume teams may be trying to move up to get Tua, it is just as likely that some teams want to move up to take Herbert. Very interesting indeed!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:17 pm

If the Bengals don't take a QB then they are not trying to win and the owner needs to be fired.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down